Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Burnley Post Match Views

123457»

Comments

• Options

Does Viewfinder have a template for all his posts! Seem to all be the same! You rarely find a post that isn't about one of the following: lack of movement at throw-ins; lack of coaching at sparrows lane; intricate movement from opposition; geomeotry!

Give it a rest!

***insert anti-Powell rant here***
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Our failure to score is utterly disgraceful. Note that after our thousands of love-letters to Chris Powell, his response to us - the fans - is a message via the Professional Managers Association. Powell says he could have kept us up.

Yeah? Where has all your lovely humility gone? Powell doesn't say sorry for playing only one striker at home all last season. Nothing was his fault, note. It was his negative strategy that had us flirting with Walsall and Crewe - and you lot were guiled, and sanctified him when we finished ninth.

Meanwhile, Norwich and Southampton zipped up to the Prem.

Those players who beat us last season and this again: Barnsley, Boro, Donny, Millwall, et al - as they rush down the wing and slice us apart - not a single one of them is thinking: "Oh, I wish I had a long contract", or "I wish my manager loved me", or "Oh, I want to go to Barcelona" - they play well because they are coached well.

Meanwhile, we have an attacking throw-in. Dull silence among our players. Our stiffs stare at him, unrehearsed. He throws it to someone - anyone - and he can't control the simplest pass, so it bobbles up off the foot and the opposing defender is in his ear...

For two seasons our coaching from the midfield to the strikers has been utterly degenerate. We simply must put it in to the onion-bag.

Sorry, but there is a lot of ignorance in this post.

Soton had Rickie Lambert , Adam Llalana, Fonte ..........

Presumably, you think Simon Church is a match for Lambert ?

Johnnie Jackson a match for Llalana etc.
    Southampton and Norwich carried their lovely momentum, with their same players, from League 1 to the Prem in one season. The same players, note - their Bradley Pritchards and their Yann Kermorgants. It was nothing special. There was absolutely no reason why we couldn't lead the charge - no reason but for poor coaching. Look at us now, humiliated in the Cup by a lower league team, worried about Yeovil and Doncaster to save us from Port Vale.

Have a look at the three-minute highlights of our 4-2 win at Arsenal - it may be on YouTube, or aliwibble may post it. Look at the power, the speed and sheer guts we had then - it was only ten years ago. Jonathan Johansson, one of our strikers, is hacked down on the edge of the box - nothing about a pen - he gets up quickly while the defender is floundering and wallops it...

And now? We have an attacking throw-in and are all at sea. Shall I throw it to you, Claude? No, I insist...

• Options

Does Viewfinder have a template for all his posts! Seem to all be the same! You rarely find a post that isn't about one of the following: lack of movement at throw-ins; lack of coaching at sparrows lane; intricate movement from opposition; geomeotry!

Give it a rest!

Our failure to score is utterly disgraceful. Note that after our thousands of love-letters to Chris Powell, his response to us - the fans - is a message via the Professional Managers Association. Powell says he could have kept us up.

Yeah? Where has all your lovely humility gone? Powell doesn't say sorry for playing only one striker at home all last season. Nothing was his fault, note. It was his negative strategy that had us flirting with Walsall and Crewe - and you lot were guiled, and sanctified him when we finished ninth.

Those players who beat us last season and this again: Barnsley, Boro, Donny, Millwall, et al - as they rush down the wing and slice us apart - not a single one of them is thinking: "Oh, I wish I had a long contract", or "I wish my manager loved me", or "Oh, I want to go to Barcelona" - they play well because they are coached well.

Meanwhile, we have an attacking throw-in. Dull silence among our players. Our stiffs stare at him, unrehearsed. He throws it to someone - anyone - and he can't control the simplest pass, so it bobbles up off the foot and the opposing defender is in his ear...

For two seasons our coaching from the midfield to the strikers has been utterly degenerate. We simply must put it in to the onion-bag.

And now? We have an attacking throw-in and are all at sea. Shall I throw it to you, Claude? No, I insist...
    You couldn't make it up.
  • Options

Southampton and Norwich carried their lovely momentum, with their same players, from League 1 to the Prem in one season. The same players, note - their Bradley Pritchards and their Yann Kermorgants. It was nothing special. There was absolutely no reason why we couldn't lead the charge - no reason but for poor coaching. Look at us now, humiliated in the Cup by a lower league team, worried about Yeovil and Doncaster to save us from Port Vale.

Have a look at the three-minute highlights of our 4-2 win at Arsenal - it may be on YouTube, or aliwibble may post it. Look at the power, the speed and sheer guts we had then - it was only ten years ago. Jonathan Johansson, one of our strikers, is hacked down on the edge of the box - nothing about a pen - he gets up quickly while the defender is floundering and wallops it...

First sentence is just plain wrong. No they didn't.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    You must move on @Viewfinder all this reminiscing is no good for your health. This is the here and now, you never got the head coach job, accept it move on and if you feel that you can help Jose out, drop him a line with your CV for a coaching position.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Sorry Viewfinder, but that's too laughable to pick apart & would take too long.

Bradley Pritchard is not & was not as good as Adam Lallana.

I presume you're saying it's Powell's and the coaches faults' that he's not now playing for England ?

What is the relevance of our top 4 Prem team, to our lowly Championship team ?

I do agree with your last line, that the attacking coaching could have been better.

I agree 100% on that. Lack of movement etc.

However, you'll never make Simon Church as good as Darren Bent & Jonathan Johansson etc.

• Options

Iain "viewfinder" Dowie now reduced to giving coaching analysis on CL. Who'd have believed it?

He has a point about lack of movement but didn't Norwich offload a certain defender called Doc Doherty on an unsuspecting club went they went up from League 1?
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Give it a rest!

You couldn't make it up.
    OK, have a look at The Battle of Stamford Bridge - or even better, our play-off final replay in Brum against Leeds. I was there on the terraces for both games, but seeing them recently on video quite shocked me. We were utterly superb: full of rampant fire and natural skill. There is Crooksy, bending his body to hammer it accurately from 25 yards; and our second goal from the clever free-kick, deceiving Leeds by design: the running across to confuse - then the beautifully weighted, curved ball to Peter Shirtliff, powering in.

Watching those videos shocked me because I had almost forgotten how heroically tough and gloriously skilful we were. Look at us now. There are whole games we've been through this season without mustering a single shot on goal.

• Options
    edited March 2014

Iain "viewfinder" Dowie now reduced to giving coaching analysis on CL. Who'd have believed it?

He has a point about lack of movement but didn't Norwich offload a certain defender called Doc Doherty on an unsuspecting club went they went up from League 1?

Yeh but you are ignoring the fact that he was good at receiving the ball from a throw in up field. Mind you the downside was he used to get a nosebleed when he crossed the half way line.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think you've lost the plot Viewfinder.

I should imagine everyone agrees with you that our Division 1 team in the 80's & prem teams of the 90's & 00's are far superior to our present team.

So what ?

You seem to think that it's Powell & the coaches fault that the present team aren't cruising in the Prem.

Maybe they could be a little higher in the Championship. But cruising in The Prem ?

I think you're probably on your own, if you think this team should be cruising in The Prem.