Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Burnley Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2014
    As a team , we desperatley need to find our best midfield , we have found our defence just need to cement the midfield!
    Poyet and astrit in the middle with Harriott and either reza or nego on the right!
  • Options
    We're pathetic.
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

As a team , we desperatley need to find our best midfield , we have found our defence just need to cement the midfield!
    Poyet and astrit in the middle with Harriott and either reza or nego on the right!

I don't think Astrit is fit enough to play in centre mid. Really struggling to think of a team that would work with what we have available.
  • Options

We're pathetic.

At least you got home at a sensible time. Bravo.

I could say your support is "pathetic".
  • Options
    Church's back pass was the crucial moment in the game. Score and we wouldn't have lost.
    The penalty killed the game completely and the substitutions were confusing. Surely just being AA and Sordell on at half-time.
    We could really do with getting a genuine right sided midfielder/winger, or an experienced right back so that Wilson can move up.
    Depressing afternoon. Would take 3 points out of the 3 aways games to come.
  • Options

Move on.

We lost.

Thought we were in it until they scored but after that there was only one team in it.

It was a pen. DD tripped him inside the box and BFC were on cruise control after that.

There will be some "we woulf have lost anyway/done better under Powell but he's gone so move on.

Seemed we went 442 to match them and it didn't suit us esp with Danny "one decent cross a game" Green and JJ wide.

We didn't look any better with AA on either and giving Church 7 mins in the 2nd seemed odd. Not that Church was good (another back pass of a shot) but why so soon when he could have gone off at half time?

Resting Poyet made sense.

Just seems we still have no punch up front. Yes Burnley are going up and are one of the better side but we didn't have it in us to get back into a game.

Still outside the bottom three, still have games in hand. On to Forest.

I support this. We've rolled our dice by bringing in Riga, I had been impressed with his first 3 games. Today we played the second best team in the league. We've been poor up front all season, Burnley weren't under any threat. I thought it was pretty even up until their 1st, after that, the confidence and skill levels dipped dramatically. The 2nd goal came at such a killer time because we'd just made our subs in AA and Reza, and it stopped us in our tracks. After that the shape was all over the place. Riga's only had 12 days at the club, so would imagine he still needs to settle on a first XI.

One man above all stood out for me today. Church. He sums up our weakness, we can't score goals. He embodies this season in a nutshell.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

We're pathetic.

At least you got home at a sensible time. Bravo.

I could say your support is "pathetic".
    Haha. Sensible would of been not going in the first place, Mr Touchy.
  • Options
    I'm struggling to think as to why a player would want to be loaned out with only 11 games of the season to a team who struggles to create many chances and plays on a park pitch.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited March 2014
    First half Charlton played some nice passing football which was better than I what I have seen lately. Over the mid to long term period, this bodes well for matching up the type of football played in the Academy / Under 21's to the first team.

The problem that has existed all season and since RD took over is the lack of quality up front and at right midfield. It was a problem for Powell and is a problem for Riga.

Danny Green is a league one standard player. The Church 'attempt' was one of the turning points of the game. Charlton had no concerted attacking threat. After Burnley applied pressure, scored a good goal and the penalty knocked the stuffing out of Charlton. I was a bit confused by the substitutions. Where was Astrid supposed to be playing ? It was a bit better when Sordell came on. I would like to see Sordell and Obika given a try if Charlton play 442.

Burnley were a much better standard and quality team. They were able to kill the game after the penalty. If they had tried they could have scored more than they did but were content to see the game out. The Charlton players looked knackered and appeared to be without belief that they could get anything from the game. The final 30 minutes in the second half was the most dispiriting and despondent performance from a Charlton side that I have seen all season.

I have never seen the Covered End empty with so many before the end of the final whistle.

The only cheering thing of the day was Poyet, who is a class above. Fortunate that there are 3 similarly poor teams below. There may be an outside of staying in the Championship and keeping Poyet. This would make all the misery endured this season, worthwhile. It is a miracle that this Charlton team still has a chance of staying up.

RD and Katrien need to pull something out of the bag in the last week of the transfer window.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shit. Burnley never got out of 2nd gear was so easy for them . 4 goals in are last 10 games. Can't see where a goal is coming from at all. Need a quality winger or we are going down.

Burnley are a brilliant team but they weren't brilliant today. Very average but we are awful. Reza is a joke.
  • Options
    I'm surprised at a lot of posts. We certainly lacked quality, and I won't be sticking up for. Church any more, he simply isn't good enough. We must start with Sordell and Obika IMO. I saw enough today to make me think we can stay up. It will click into place and we will end up safe on 47 points.
  • Options
    Feeling very flat after that.

Just can't believe Church and Green started again or that we switched to 4.4.2 against the second best team in the League after finally getting a win with 4.2.3.1

Very disappointed with Burnley and that fat oaf Vokes but our inept management made it very very easy for them.

Poyet was the best player on the pitch and I feel sorry for the lad winning the ball and looking up to see four gormless static League 1 rejects just staring back at him .
  • Options
    We played OK for 20 mins or so but seemed to lose all confidence and fell away when they scored. After that, they were better than us in all departments. Poyet was easily our best player; I don't understand why he was subbed unless it was to rest him once Riga had decided we didn't have a hope of winning. Green and Church were awful. I didn't see Reza kick the ball once. My mate assures me that he did, but I must have blinked and missed it.
  • Options
    Poyet was very good but Dervite was our best player.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    3-0 was a bit of a harsh score line. Overall attitude was good though. But we looked dead on our feet for the last half hour with so many games lately. They carried on trying tbf. But Burnley showed why they are second and unbeaten in the league in 2014.
  • Options
    The first thing to say is what a good team Burnley are and their quality shone through as a team ; they should be proud of where they are and what they have achieved and good luck to them. As for us then by comparison we are not as good as them and mainly in attack . I still cannot figure out why Church is starting. I thought Dervite, Poyet Cousins were immense ; Wiggins got found out a bit but he will learn from it. 1st half I thought we edged it especially in midfield but their first goal knocked the stuffing out of us and the second (which from where I was sitting looked unfair) simply killed the game . I think in general the performance was not bad ; we just played a better team who wanted it more and had more confidence and who chased everything . That is what we need to be like. The players deserve credit for the performance and Church needs replacing before the next game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Poyet is class.

Church is utterly cack.

We could have played for another 5 hours and we wouldnt have scored.
  • Options
    it look like to me they could score any time and we look like we could play till next week and would not score
  • Options
    We were awful we could still be playing now and we wouldn't of scored.

Burnley looked solid and a decent side.

We are in desperate need of a winger or two all season

Good job Barnsley Millwall and Yeovil are just as bad.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I am surprised by the universal negativity on here - the timing of the first goal was clearly key (we were the better side up until then) and then an iffy penalty straight after HT killed the game and atmosphere completely. I didn't sense at any point we were being outclassed by the 2nd best team in the League.

I felt we passed and moved with some purpose but our performances are bound to be volatile until Riga finds his best side. Experimenting with different formations and positioning probably makes some sense - I can't blame him for going with so many strikers at once since we lack any quality wide midfielders.

If fitness is a problem for Ajdarevic then surely this can be worked on? We look a better side with proper ball players like him in it. He has a vital part to play if we are going to survive.

Poyet is different class - will be heartbroken if he leaves.
  • Options

Richard Cawley is tweeting that .............. 'Jose Riga asked about lack of goals: "The solution is not outside the squad - they are inside the squad". That just doesn't cheer me up one iota. The capitulation aspect is deeply worrying and although Riga might work wonders on this aspect with his cognitive training, it won't change the fact that we just don't have a striker.

Translation = we ain't signing anyone.
  • Options
    goals win games if you don't score you will not win any game
  • Options
    Thought we were pretty pathetic today tbh. Expected more after Tuesday.
    True Church's chance was a BIG turning point.
    Only player to emerge with any credit I would say was Poyet. Class above everyone else on the pitch including Burnley players.
    Defence is ok but upfront we are shocking. No one ever will have a shot and the midfield passes the ball sideways or back way too much and slows the play down way too much. We never play at an up tempo pace now. Wingers will very rarely cross the ball and when they do we may get one good cross in 5.
    We need to improve big time or league 1 here we come. Only good thing was results went our way.
    Really want to be positive but finding it very hard after today.
  • Options
    Keep playing like that & we are down.

Church, couldn't hit a cows arse with a shovel.

Green useless waste of time, continually leaves Wilson exposed.

Rega, tactics, shit, players out of position, honeymoon period over.

Midfield some good passing but don't get in the box enough.
  • Options
    NYA - little confused, are you in NY or at the game?