Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Burnley Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    WSS said:

NYA - little confused, are you in NY or at the game?

I was there....

I am not sure what people expected against such a strong side - we more than matched them until they scored but then the penalty killed the game stone dead.

I thought our passing was impressive at times though we overplayed at the back in dangerous areas.
  • Options
    I wish I hadn't just watched Riga's post match reflection on Player.
  • Options
    We are lucky we are not bottom of the league considering our extreme lack of goal threat. I would like Riga to come out and say what people think, like it wasn't good enough, it was poor. Tell it like it is Jose, don't suger coat the truth with the "ifs and buts".
    A week is a long time in football though. Ask Man United, Chelsea and...Chris Powell.

We were happy Tuesday but are miserable today. Next Tuesday might roll like that again or it might not.

I wouldn't count on us getting anything at Forest, I think we are going down, but, I'm awaiting, thinking, hoping for the possibility of being proven wrong.
  • Options
    As soon as they scored the game was up. Jackson started on empty and finished on less. We just couldnt get behind them or even begin to apply pressure. A real case of 1st goal wins.

Wont knock Riga because at least he tried to change things before the 85th min but once behind we were out of it.

Ps despite the pen, Dervite looked class as did Poyet. And the pitch is killing the entertainment.
  • Options
    Honest bunch of players, but simply not good enough. Never mind Jose Riga, Jose Mourinho wouldn't have got a result with this lot today. Investment required or the silent majority will vote with their feet.
  • Options
    Poyet made more mistakes than in previous games but he is so epic
  • Options
    Fuck me. Glad I missd this one!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    It was Church's failure to beat the keeper in a one-on-one that was pivotal - and it epitomised the appalling weakness up front that has failed us all season. He had another good chance when he beat the man on the wing, cut in to the box, drew the keeper, and slid the ball across the six-yard-line to a Burnley defender.

Poyet played some lovely flourishes, but I don't understand all the general admiration for Cousins: he's an ordinary lower-Championship defensive midfielder and nothing special. Much of our distribution from defence - and Hamer's kicking today - was woeful.

Was the second Burnley goal worthy of a penalty? I had a good view from the Lower North: their man was sandwiched and went down easily. I admired their approach play - there was a sequence of dinks and quick short passes around and in our box in the second half that was superb. That level of clever interplay, close control, pass and move, is far beyond our technical capability.

Riga has added a bit of fizz to our forward movement and isn't shy of making early substitutions; I assume Poyet was taken off to be rested, though Ajdarevic was anonymous and Reza ineffective out wide. But this inability to score - one single goal in the last six games - is a huge psychological and physical problem. Despite our games in hand, we are relying on the failings of other teams to save us from relegation.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Burnley do not play 'good' football in the sense of passing triangles, tricksy wingers and intricate tippy tappy approach play - they play pretty simple football - pass it forward into crossing/through ball position, pull the trigger, let the strikers finish it off. BUT they do this extremely well, they defend from the front and keep on coming forwards. We made it far too easy for them to do this today, the penalty (that wasn't) basically killed the game and tore out any motivation the Charlton team had left. Riga did at least try to change it up a bit but it felt a bit token to me rather than his genuine belief it would change the course of play.

Don't think that was a 3-0 performance, but it was pretty dire.
  • Options
    I thought we played some decent football in the first half hour - on the deck, good triangles, kept possession - but after they scored we seemed to lose all confidence. The shape of the team broke down completely and if Riga knew what was supposed to be happening on the pitch then he must have forgot to tell the players. Very few seemed to have any idea.

Positives - Poyet (again); great save from Hamer

Negatives - Hamer's kicking; Wiggins had a very poor game; Spongefoot - oh dear! I truly do know young children who hit a harder shot than he can muster. No shape, no attacking clue.

No surprise at all that we lost but the way we played was beyond disappointing. If we play like that in the critical games against Yeovil, Barnsley and Blackpool we are well and truly screwed.
  • Options

How did they do then, your news and views please

• Options
    seth plum said:

Why's that?
  • Options
    Very weak looking side compared to most teams near the top so need to get bigger stronger players like burnley have plus players who can actually score,
  • Options
    Every game seems to get more and more boring!
  • Options
    Just arrived back in Norfolk after a disappointing game.
    The long journey (seemed longer than usual) gave me time to reflect.
    We started well, a nice period of passing,retaining possession and looking sharp in tackles. Then Church misses a good chance - poor bloke always gives 100% but doesn't look like scoring. He really looked crestfallen after that miss.
    After a piece of sublime skill from our best player Diago Poyet when he beat two of their players and flicked a pass with the outside of his boot, the Burnley players must have recognised him as our biggest threat and a few heavy tackles and a facial injury that caused a long stoppage.
    It was during this stoppage that J.R. had a long discussion with Jacko and what followed was a slippery downwards performance. Their goal looked a fairly straight forward cross and header that probably should have been prevented or saved.
    The next ten minutes we could have conceded again - it reminded me of the start of the Ipswich game.
    The half time sub appeared to make a bad situation even worse and it was difficult to make out who was playing in what position.
    After conceding the penalty our passing game had totally disappeared, substituting Poyet at this time looked a decent call with another game on Tuesday and we never looked like scoring.
    Astrit Ajdarevic whose only meaning full contribution was with a decent free kick that went wide, was caught ball watching as a corner was played short to a player he should have been marking and the disappointment was complete with the O.G.

There were encouraging signs in the early part of the game but I some times wonder If the complex coaching from J.R. has more impact on footballers with a greater degree of skill than our lot.
    Don't think I'll stay up to watch the highlights tonight on T.V.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

seth plum said:

Why's that?
    Try to see it yourself if you can, and make some sense of it. The best he could manage amongst a lot of...well a lot of 'stuff'...was that the players were tired. The rest of it was unconvincing, and not because of language. When asked if we could stay up, he didn't exactly say yes!

• Options
    dallas said:

goals win games if you don't score you will not win any game

Roland, is that you?
  • Options
    On 286 home.now from blackheath. Popped round nans on.way to Valley and she.said give me those f***ing boots and let Simon Church listen here to Desert Island Discs for three hours.

Wished I'd taken her up in it.

Going to the wire
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The best part of a disappointing day was when Jose subbed Diego - the young man is now our heartbeat so to remove him from the impossible task of clawing back a 2-0 deficit was imperative!
  • Options
    30% 2nd tier football 70% Plenty of tears and 3rd tier shit
  • Options
    first half we were ok. They didnt deserve to be 1 nil up. easy to hear their team talk at half time---"get another its over" ---they did. As for the pen as said Sordell did the same salmon leap at Smallwall and was booked --it wasnt in the area. after that it was all over---the worst thing was we all knew it and both teams did as well.
    When Poyet was subbed --the management was basically saying "this game has gone so lets save over best player"---------------we should have all got up and left as well-----shocking.
    As for playing AA as a centre forward wow thats up there with the worst decisions ever---------desperation.

worst forward line in all four divisions.
  • Options
    Let's face it, Burnley are streets ahead of the other teams in the division bar Leicester. Don't get too despondent folks as they are a Premier League team. With 3 games in hand we should be ok. The only concerning thing is the number of games we have to play and the fatigue factor. I'm she that's why Riga brought off Diego.

In the press conference Riga said he learned something today. He also intimated that you have to take your chances. Maybe he's putting two and two together regarding Spongefoot.
  • Options
    We ended up a complete mess by the end, with no midfield and 4 attacking players further up the field with nobody to create chances for them. It's creativity that's lacking, Church may be poor, but the number of chances we create is tiny. Poyet in the last 2 or 3 games has looked like the only player who can create chances from open play.

JJ looks knackered, he needs to be rested. God know who else can play in midfield, where was Pritchard today?
  • Options
    They looked like they had written the game off before they kicked a ball...
  • Options
    Yesterday I couldn't help but think that we should have had Cousins at rb and Wilson going up the wing. Green was so pony, yet again. If reinforcements are unlikely we need to pray that Sordell and Obika can get something going. AA should be in the team but his fitness looks suspect. Just hope none of the others at the bottom strengthen before Thursday as with such small margins between us, one decent signing could pull a side clear.

As a side note did anyone see Morrison and Hamer totally blank Riga at the end?
  • Options
    mart77 said:

As a side note did anyone see Morrison and Hamer totally blank Riga at the end?

I wasn't there yesterday but thought Ben deffo blanked Riga at the end of the Hudders match as Riga shook all the players hands as they came off the pitch.
    As much as these players love SCP , they have to be professional and show respect to the new manager for the harmony of the squad .
  • Options
    Thought DD trip was outside the box, he was poor for their first goal too, gotta be dealing with those

Think defence were jaded, and Jackson needed a break (couldn't adjr come in for him?) tricky one as he's captain, but the pile up means we must rotate

After that many games why was Wood not back, Injured? Will Cort be back might save our season, if neither are coming back perhaps we need to loan another centre half I'd like a decent winger too if poss and a large forward... Lol

Other than that a decent side are Burnley, confident aggressive up for it.