Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Burnley Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    ct_addick said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb4c53l5WI4

Watch Danny Green for the first goal.. 21 seconds in. Jesus Wept.

Wilson taken the piss out of for the 3rd !
    We'd jacked it in long before then
  • Options
    Burnley fans rightly commented to me after the game at Turf Moor that he'd had Kightley in his pocket. He spent most of the second half this time trying to compensate for our lack of a right winger. Unsurprising that he then got picked off so late on by a fresh sub.
  • Options
    FAO Bournemouth Addick

Totally agree with ClaretForever about Eddie Howe - our defence was a shambles by the time he left and he might have been only a couple of games from the sack before the Cherries came to his rescue by offering him a chance to return. To his credit, he did quite well with his transfer dealings which should see us realise a good profit on the likes of Ings and Trippier - not to mention Charlie Austin (£3 million profit).

As for the Addicks, I think you will stay up with a few 1-0 wins and 1-1 draws - Barnsley, Millwall and Yeovil (after a brave fight) to go down. I think that, unlike perennial strugglers Barnsley, you deserve a stay of execution this year after your impressive 9th place finish last season (we were 11th).

Get a result at Derby and Charlton will be my second favourite team!!....Millwall won there and anything they can do...........:)
  • Options

You know all these strikers that aren't doing it for us? Is it not possible that the weak midfield failing to provide adequate service we were all screaming about a couple of years ago and that hasn't got any better may still be the problem? Given good service Sordell, Obika and evern Reza and Church would deliver more. Kermogant wasn't exactly topping the goalscorer table before he went was he? Unless you get a striker who can pick up the ball from a defender and take it up the other end and score, nodding politely to the midfielders he passes on the way, we won't be scoring.

Kermorgant is in double figures this season and don't forget he was injured for a while too.
    8 in the league, 3 of which have been for Bournemouth. So 5 for us this season. Our top striker. The fact that NONE of our strikers are scoring either indicates incredibly bad choices of striker or a problem with service.
  • Options

Interesting comments from you guys on here regarding us. I think you are spot on when you use the word 'workmanlike'. We are not particularly flashy to watch (although we have played some beautiful stuff this season) but every single player knows his own job to a tee - and we are very consistent with that (only lost 3 games out of 37 in the league).

I enjoyed my trip to The Valley, and not just for the result. I was totally lost trying to find my way and thankfully a group of four Charlton fans guided me the way! You have a great set of fans and a self deprecating humour about your position. You deserve better than you are getting and it s

Just like us in our L1 promo season. Very few thought we played pretty passing football and not much flash at all.
  • Options
    Burnley are a good team & like a lot of good teams they work hard & press high up the pitch. We basically hard no answer to a very confident team heading for the Prem ( they will still struggle though when they get there) but our lack of any goalscoring threat means we will be in the mire right to the last kick of the season. Reza , Church, Sordell or whoever we have in this squad are not capable of scoring unfortunately, so any wins that we happen to get will be nervy, edgy affairs. Reza may as well go back now. He doesn't even look like a forward and is far too lighweight. The Burnley forwards gave our backline a very bruising time and were amongst the most physical I've seen but it works and works well for them. I have nothing against players coming in from Standard Liege if they add something but apart from Ajdarevic who seems a decent player , if lacking in either fitness or stamina, then please don't bother.
  • Options

You know all these strikers that aren't doing it for us? Is it not possible that the weak midfield failing to provide adequate service we were all screaming about a couple of years ago and that hasn't got any better may still be the problem? Given good service Sordell, Obika and evern Reza and Church would deliver more. Kermogant wasn't exactly topping the goalscorer table before he went was he? Unless you get a striker who can pick up the ball from a defender and take it up the other end and score, nodding politely to the midfielders he passes on the way, we won't be scoring.

Kermorgant is in double figures this season and don't forget he was injured for a while too.
    8 in the league, 3 of which have been for Bournemouth. So 5 for us this season. Our top striker. The fact that NONE of our strikers are scoring either indicates incredibly bad choices of striker or a problem with service.
    I think it's both.
  • Options
    Leicester look to me like a team and club that can survive in the PL, Burnley to me look like a really well organised and coached team, that will realistically struggle in the PL, but to get there will be a superb achievement.
  • Options
    One of the best teams in the division against one of the worst. Best to tuck it away now, and think about three away games in a row which could easily leave us back in the bottom three. As everyone says, if we can't start to take our chances up front we will go into a downward spiral to you know where. Church is so piss poor that we should vow never to play him again.
  • Options
    I believe the reason CAFC signed Fuller late 18 months ago and then Church and Sordell might be to save wages but also cashflow reasons. £2m chunks of TV monies arrive in August and January so I've been told. By the way this also means that cashflow from February to July is really quite nasty with only the season-ticket revenue to prop it up... And of course the cup run this time.
    Still hoping for another loan signing but not holding my breath.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just waetched football league show at least they didn't show church's tame effort when he should have squared it to obi! In fact they didn't show any charlton attacks on goal?
    Maybee thats because we didn't have any?
    Thought aa had a shot at the end though?
    Also thought from where I was front upper north thought it wasn't a penalty but highlights show it was stonewall!
  • Options

I believe the reason CAFC signed Fuller late 18 months ago and then Church and Sordell might be to save wages but also cashflow reasons. £2m chunks of TV monies arrive in August and January so I've been told. By the way this also means that cashflow from February to July is really quite nasty with only the season-ticket revenue to prop it up... And of course the cup run this time.
    Still hoping for another loan signing but not holding my breath.

Save money on wages...but lose money when you get relegated and can't score goals. We've lost Fuller, Haynes and Yann from this time last year and have only just resigned Obika. That should tell you everything you need to know. Powell never got the backing he deserved after last season. That applies to TJ and RD.
  • Options
    Totally agree and have posted to that effect ever since Yann was injured at Watford just before the international break...not only no Fuller but no loan cover for Solly and Kermorgant unlike last season when we brought in Hulse and others..
    Hopefully we stay up AND our stats Jan- April show Duchatelet what it will take to get us at the right end of the table.
  • Options

Well, I've tried to stay positive throughout the last month or so and up until they scored yesterday I was still positive. Until Barnes scored there was nothing between the teams and if anything we were edging it. The Church "effort" has been done to death elsewhere, but it has to brought up again. It was pathetic. He has scuffed so many shots this season that you can't help but think he is lacking the most basic striker requirement - the ability to shoot. He did something similar on Tuesday (ridiculous chip when clean through) and that was forgotten because we won. Jose needs to move on and not consider him again.

I'm now more or less resigned to league one. The way we fell away after the goal was alarming if not unexpected. Our confidence is so fragile that we just can't cope with any set backs. We were never coming back in that game yesterday.

Clearly the goal scoring situation is not going to be resolved. None of the forwards we have on our books are going to score enough goals between now and the end of the season to win us enough games. The lack of creativity from wide areas is a problem, but I don't have any confidence that any of our forwards will take any chances presented to them anyway!. I sat there yesterday thinking who on earth is coaching our forwards? The lack of movement in front of the man on the ball is shameful. Time and time again Poyet got on the ball, only to look up and see 2-3 blokes standing still in a line.

We have further problems in as much as our better players are also wobbling. Wiggins seems to put in one decent performance in every 4 games at the moment and Morrison is "recapturing" his early season jitters.

I keep reading people sniping over the sales of Yann and Dale, but would ask how many goals had we scored when they left and how many points did we have? I honestly don;t think they would have made a blind bit of difference. Poyet aside I wouldn't bat an eyelid if we didn't see a single one of the players picked yesterday in the team next season.

I wouldn't say I'm resigned to League One just yet. At the moment we outside the dropzone. Granted goals are hard to come by. But we have games in hand but granted we have to get something from them and other games. But if the finished now we would be in the Championship next season. Obviously I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried about being League One next season. Hope we can can our advantage.
  • Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb4c53l5WI4

Watch Danny Green for the first goal.. 21 seconds in. Jesus Wept.

Are u joking. U think that's the problem with green.
    One of his many problems pal.
  • Options
    everyone still reckon L.Wilson is a championship right back? NUTS!
  • Options
    Our defence are easily championship standard, its everything else thats the problem.
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

OK so he got nutmegged for the 3rd goal. Could happen to anyone.

• Options
    mrbligh said:

Yes, very much so, as his performances for months now have testified. But just single out one error from someone who'd spent the last 40 minutes compensating for our lack of a right winger - it's much easier isn't it? Do you honestly think that outweighs all the positive displays that will possibly make him our POTY?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Poor old Lawrie.
  • Options
    Player of the year for me, Lawrie Wilson.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

CAFCsayer said:

3 centre backs and wiggy and Wilson out and out wingbacks... Only solution to wing troubles. Poyet, jacko, cousins midfield with astrit just in behind obika, sorted.

It might work but it also might rely on Wiggins and Wilson to beat a man to cross. You also might find that Poyet or Cousins would spend most of their time out wide covering the wing-back, otherwise he'll be faced with a 2 v 1.
    They're the only two players in the squad who seem to do that anyway and with the extra bodies in midfield you can afford to have one of them covering the full-backs on occasion

• Options
    Our failure to score is utterly disgraceful. Note that after our thousands of love-letters to Chris Powell, his response to us - the fans - is a message via the Professional Managers Association. Powell says he could have kept us up.

Yeah? Where has all your lovely humility gone? Powell doesn't say sorry for playing only one striker at home all last season. Nothing was his fault, note. It was his negative strategy that had us flirting with Walsall and Crewe - and you lot were guiled, and sanctified him when we finished ninth.

Meanwhile, Norwich and Southampton zipped up to the Prem.

Those players who beat us last season and this again: Barnsley, Boro, Donny, Millwall, et al - as they rush down the wing and slice us apart - not a single one of them is thinking: "Oh, I wish I had a long contract", or "I wish my manager loved me", or "Oh, I want to go to Barcelona" - they play well because they are coached well.

Meanwhile, we have an attacking throw-in. Dull silence among our players. Our stiffs stare at him, unrehearsed. He throws it to someone - anyone - and he can't control the simplest pass, so it bobbles up off the foot and the opposing defender is in his ear...

For two seasons our coaching from the midfield to the strikers has been utterly degenerate. We simply must put it in to the onion-bag.

• Options

Our failure to score is utterly disgraceful. Note that after our thousands of love-letters to Chris Powell, his response to us - the fans - is a message via the Professional Managers Association. Powell says he could have kept us up.

Yeah? Where has all your lovely humility gone? Powell doesn't say sorry for playing only one striker at home all last season. Nothing was his fault, note. It was his negative strategy that had us flirting with Walsall and Crewe - and you lot were guiled, and sanctified him when we finished ninth.

Those players who beat us last season and this again: Barnsley, Boro, Donny, Millwall, et al - as they rush down the wing and slice us apart - not a single one of them is thinking: "Oh, I wish I had a long contract", or "I wish my manager loved me", or "Oh, I want to go to Barcelona" - they play well because they are coached well.

Meanwhile, we have an attacking throw-in. Dull silence among our players. Our stiffs stare at him, unrehearsed. He throws it to someone - anyone - and he can't control the simplest pass, so it bobbles up off the foot and the opposing defender is in his ear...

For two seasons our coaching from the midfield to the strikers has been utterly degenerate. We simply must put it in to the onion-bag.

Norwich and Southampton "zippded up to the Prem" because they overhauled their squads. Because they were able to. Because they had money. And Chairman that backed the manager. Powell didn't have any of this.

Oh, and playing one up front last season got us to ninth and just outside the playoffs with a League One squad. Riga's team however, has scored one goal in four games and conceded three.

• Options
    edited March 2014

Sorry, but there is a lot of ignorance in this post.

Soton had Rickie Lambert , Adam Lallana, Fonte ..........

Presumably, you think Simon Church is a match for Lambert ?

Johnnie Jackson a match for Lallana etc.
  • Options

Powell has gone, it does not matter anymore, move on ... if there are any pieces to pick up its Riga's job. Powell, Slater, Jimminez are of the past their onlyu relevance today is the legacy that has to be dealt with ... their fault or not.
  • Options
    I reckon we should've given Viewfinder the head coach gig.
  • Options
    Does Viewfinder have a template for all his posts! Seem to all be the same! You rarely find a post that isn't about one of the following: lack of movement at throw-ins; lack of coaching at sparrows lane; intricate movement from opposition; geomeotry!

Give it a rest!