Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Burnley Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Beaten by a better more confident team.
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb4c53l5WI4

Watch Danny Green for the first goal.. 21 seconds in. Jesus Wept.
  • Options
    Stroll in the park
  • Options

Yeah where was he when Burnley scored their second and their third.......oh I forgot he was on the bench.

Lets blame DG brigade!!

What utter nonsense just to pick this out.

• Options

Nug said:

Powell presumably rated him quite highly as he would have been one of hundreds of forwards available on a free last summer.

Nice little dig at Powell again. Doubt Church would be here if Powell would have been allowed to resign Fuller. And I also doubt the hundreds of strikers you think we're available in the bargain basement were any better or worse than Church.
    Surely the point is who else was available two days before the start of the season, not over the summer, because that is when we eventually signed Church and Sordell. In all probability that was about saving wages during pre-season.

Wasn't a dig - was implying the opposite ie. he must have something about him else Powell surely would have looked elsewhere.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

seth plum said:

Posting without reading so apologies if it's already been said.

Yep, by you most times you post!

Every time actually.

• Options

Nug said:

Powell presumably rated him quite highly as he would have been one of hundreds of forwards available on a free last summer.

Nice little dig at Powell again. Doubt Church would be here if Powell would have been allowed to resign Fuller. And I also doubt the hundreds of strikers you think we're available in the bargain basement were any better or worse than Church.
    Surely the point is who else was available two days before the start of the season, not over the summer, because that is when we eventually signed Church and Sordell. In all probability that was about saving wages during pre-season.

Excellent point. Just one thing. How would a season ticket boycott benefit the transfer kitty for this summer? Would we not be signing players last minute again?
  • Options

Nug said:

Excellent point. Just one thing. How would a season ticket boycott benefit the transfer kitty for this summer? Would we not be signing players last minute again?
    I don't know, who is proposing one?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yeah where was he when Burnley scored their second and their third.......oh I forgot he was on the bench.

Lets blame DG brigade!!

What utter nonsense just to pick this out.

Midfielders have to track back and do their fair share, you cannot be seen on a football pitch walking about like that and the reason he was subbed was probably exactly that, if JR was watching the players to pick up on errors/weaknesses which I'm sure he was, he will have noticed this and took DG off. I see it week in week out when he is playing, he goes in half arsed on tackles, he only really enjoys the game when he has a set piece to take (fluff)
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Nug said:

I don't know, who is proposing one?
    http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/60548/season-ticket-strike-to-bring-the-owner-to-the-table/p1

'My view is that we should consider asking supporters to withhold their season ticket renewals for the time being until we get some clarity about what is going on with our club.

Personally I have no confidence in any of the people running it, including the leadership team as well as the board, and season tickets are the one lever we can pull without being accused of damaging the team. It's just an idea and I'd welcome people's input.'
  • Options
    Not having a dig at all by the way Airman. It's just my understanding that season ticket renewals go some way to help strengthen the squad each summer.
  • Options

Nug said:

Presumably a fair few of our summer signings will be from the network anyway, so it might not make any difference at all
  • Options
    I thought Burnley were very well organised and deserved their win. We did ok first half without really threatening (Spongefoot was never going to score that one-on-one). One thing Riga's right on is that the first goal was really important, and they got it.

That's just about all he got right all day though. My God, if Powell had made those substitutions the place would be in uproar. We needed to get Ajdarevic on at some point, but up front? After that it was a mess of a performance, players seemed utterly confused, Reza just didn't seem to want to play where he'd been told to play so did his own thing, and it all predictably unravelled.

We need a performance at Forest - I don't think the following two are winnable.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    You know all these strikers that aren't doing it for us? Is it not possible that the weak midfield failing to provide adequate service we were all screaming about a couple of years ago and that hasn't got any better may still be the problem? Given good service Sordell, Obika and evern Reza and Church would deliver more. Kermogant wasn't exactly topping the goalscorer table before he went was he? Unless you get a striker who can pick up the ball from a defender and take it up the other end and score, nodding politely to the midfielders he passes on the way, we won't be scoring.
  • Options

You know all these strikers that aren't doing it for us? Is it not possible that the weak midfield failing to provide adequate service we were all screaming about a couple of years ago and that hasn't got any better may still be the problem? Given good service Sordell, Obika and evern Reza and Church would deliver more. Kermogant wasn't exactly topping the goalscorer table before he went was he? Unless you get a striker who can pick up the ball from a defender and take it up the other end and score, nodding politely to the midfielders he passes on the way, we won't be scoring.

Kermorgant is in double figures this season and don't forget he was injured for a while too.
  • Options

We are not in bottom three so why so much resignation about relegation? We need Obika and Sordell to do something with whatever deliver they receive. Games in hand and the loan window open (just) suggests 66% chance of staying up.
    We were always going to lose yesterday ~ the real question is where is our next win coming from? Is it too much to ask to keep the faith until April with all those home games?

Why were we always going to lose yesterday, the spanners won at Derby the other week.
    However, I get where you are coming from, yesterday was going to be difficult but the performances we are putting in are appalling.
  • Options
    Nug said:

Nice little dig at Powell again. Doubt Church would be here if Powell would have been allowed to re-sign Fuller. And I also doubt the hundreds of strikers you think were available in the bargain basement were any better or worse than Church.
    1 in 6 goal ratio says we should have got somebody else in though
  • Options
    Looking at Church's chance again, I think a lot of forwards would have attempted to take it round the defender ( to the right) thus opening up the whole of the goal - it doesn't look like there was a covering defender - and this would have given a much better target to aim at.

Instead he weakly tried to side foot it into the corner with about as much pace as a back pass...........useless lump !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Nug said:

Nice little dig at Powell again. Doubt Church would be here if Powell would have been allowed to re-sign Fuller. And I also doubt the hundreds of strikers you think were available in the bargain basement were any better or worse than Church.
    1 in 6 goal ratio says we should have got somebody else in though
    As Airman said though, who were we going to get just days before the season started? I fail to believe Powell didn't have targets who the previous owners were either unable or unwilling to fund coming in.
  • Options
    He had a 1 in 5 ratio for Reading but bear in mind that a lot of those were off the bench as we was coming through. He now has a 1 in 11 ratio for us.
  • Options
    3 centre backs and wiggy and Wilson out and out wingbacks... Only solution to wing troubles. Poyet, jacko, cousins midfield with astrit just in behind obika, sorted.
  • Options
    Same old, same old yesterday i'm afraid. We played some decent football first half but again had no cutting edge and once Church had missed a decent chance and Burnley had scored there was a certain inevitability about things. We weren't helped by what I thought was a very harsh penalty against us which made the last half hour something of a non-event. At least most of the other results went for us and it looks like we may need as little as 46 points or possibly less to survive. I'm fairly confident we can finish above Barnsley & Millwall. The team that worries me are Yeovil who seem to making a real fight of it. We have to beat them at home and then I think the odds are still that we will survive - just.
  • Options

Wilson taken the piss out of for the 3rd !
  • Options
    ct_addick said:

Wilson taken the piss out of for the 3rd !
    Great skill by Kightly to be fair - he is one of the better wingers in this league.
  • Options
    Burnley were just too determined, too confident and too organised for Us, we performed like a group of hired hands introduced to one another in the car park moments before kick-off
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

3 centre backs and wiggy and Wilson out and out wingbacks... Only solution to wing troubles. Poyet, jacko, cousins midfield with astrit just in behind obika, sorted.

It might work but it also might rely on Wiggins and Wilson to beat a man to cross. You also might find that Poyet or Cousins would spend most of their time out wide covering the wing-back, otherwise he'll be faced with a 2 v 1.

No matter how you shake the formation up, there doesn't appear to any goals in this squad. We've had Jackson playing just behind the striker and we've had Adjarevic doing the same but we haven't looked dangerous. Our biggest threat recently has been from Harriot but he didn't fare too well v Bournemouth. Obika and Sordell might be the best bet up front, with Adjarevic on the left, Cousins, Poyet and...errr...we haven't got an effective right-winger have we? Ok...stick Harriot on the right and see if he takes to it.

There might well be a freak game in there somewhere when we score 3 but essentially it's going to be clean sheets, draws and narrow wins that keep us up.
  • Options
    Looking at the 'highlights' again. Simon Church doubly sins for not only for a soft shot but for lacking the awareness to see Obika in a much better position, who with a simple pass would have slotted into an empty net.

The penalty was extremely dubious not only was the initial challenge outside the box, the Burnley player launched himself into the penalty area with a swan like dive. There were 3 defenders infront of him and it would have been very unlikely that he would have created any chances. The referee was very definite and it was totally the wrong decision that killed the game as a spectacle.

The deflected goal, was awful. The type of luck that has come Charlton's way this season. Chris Solly would be unlikely to be nut megged like Wilson was though, who should be playing further up the pitch.

Burnley were better but poor quality up front, dodgy refereeing and unlucky deflected goals has really pulled Charlton season down.

Maybe due a better referee and more luck in the next game.
  • Options
    Similar in many respects to the game up there - not least the scoreline. Again they were just that bit better all round without looking spectacular. I can only admire the way Dyche has assembled a team that will very likely now get promoted on a moderate budget while their near neighbours fritter away millions achieving very little.

Every Burnley player knew his job and did it efficiently. They've barely changed the starting line-up all season. So, to Charlton... good to see the players bring the confidence from recent results into the game; positive start, and the two boys in midfield were both excellent. Poyet's little purple patch was a joy to watch and Cousins' is really back in form again playing in a more sensible position. Sadly Obika didn't quite have the impact he did last game and we all know the collective attacking limitations beyond that.

Good to see Riga being proactive and trying to be positive but those substitutions just didn't work today. The experiment of playing AA up front failed miserably, and if Reza is going to offer anything it would appear only to be a goal threat in the box - he looked completely lost on the right. Brave to push Wilson on so far looking for at least some threat there but that always meant the chance of a killer third. In fact the game was long gone by the time that went in.

The pen knocked the stuffing out of us more than it should have done with so long left. Probably two reasons for this:
    a) We knew we were up against a very efficient team
    b) We know we very rarely have two goals in us

Just hope now we can garner something of last season's away form over the next three games - be tight, fight for our lives, and try to nick something, because we're not going to win any shoot-outs.