Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

****Jon Obika - signs on loan (again)****

123457»

Comments

• Options
    dickplumb said:

So how was he? On Player heard one good shot that tested the keeper...

Glad we have him, myself, but still mystified as to who got him in

I would hazard a guess that Dyer said to Riga, there is a good centre forward called Obika, shall we get him in? Riga said alright then. Then hey presto he appears. Paid for by that asset stripper Roland.
    I notice that no Standard players were in the first eleven, I thought Roland picked the team?

I believe both Reza and AA were injured, or they would have featured in some capacity or another. That said, of all the new arrivals they are probably the best so I would not complain if they were to get back into the squad once fit again.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

dickplumb said:

So how was he? On Player heard one good shot that tested the keeper...

Glad we have him, myself, but still mystified as to who got him in

I would hazard a guess that Dyer said to Riga, there is a good centre forward called Obika, shall we get him in? Riga said alright then. Then hey presto he appears. Paid for by that asset stripper Roland.
    I notice that no Standard players were in the first eleven, I thought Roland picked the team?

I believe both Reza and AA were injured, or they would have featured in some capacity or another. That said, of all the new arrivals they are probably the best so I would not complain if they were to get back into the squad once fit again.
    That'll be a real blow if AA is out; he seems like quite a good option in the midfield and has a pretty decent shot on him. Similarly, I've still got high hopes for Reza - you can see glimpses of quality in some of his manoeuvres - he really should have a few goals under his belt by now, I think he just needs some time to beef up and get accustomed to the physicality of the league.
  • Options
    I thought he looked quality gotta be first choice in front of Church et all
  • Options
    AA has been blowing out his arse after 25 mins recently. No way he could have played another game last night. Expect to see him in the squad on Saturday
  • Options
    edited March 2014

dickplumb said:

He does , he's just woken up and smelt the coffee and realised "his" players are shit
    Roland didn't agree with Powell's opinion that they were shit, brought in his mate who said "err, yeah, they're shit".
    Think that might be closer to the truth than we suspect. Not that I think those players are "shit" but that the new players aren't a big step up from what we had and that we still needed a striker.

Hence the arrival of Obika and no sight in the first team squad of Polish Pete.

AA is, I'm told, injured. Not sure about Reza.

Whoever was advising RD (Dudu?) underestimated the Championship and overestimated the impact of the like of PP and Reza IMO Hence the willingness to let Dale and Yann go when fees were offered.

Now it seems there has been a bit of a reality check and we can see the benefits on the pitch.

On Obika; he did well, was big, strong, won the FK late on which lead to the winning corner. We looked far more threatening with him on, the ball stuck up top more and so we go good possession in the final third.

Still struggled to created that many clear cut chances. Until injury time : - )
  • Options
    Some people wouldn't be happy who we signed
    Doomongers f##king lot of um
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    He put himself about and had far more influence on the game than Church (who made Sordell look a world beater last night).
    He got a warm welcome and few choruses of his song which made him feel wanted. If you give a player confidence it will raise his game no doubt.
  • Options
    He's not going to be a world beater, but looked slightly better than Church and Sordell (which isn't hard).
  • Options
    He was previously in the squad where he was on the fringe behind Kermorgant, Fuller and Haynes.

All 3 of these players have now gone, he is most definitely a better choice than Church, and I would say better than Sordell (who has been playing better of late)

Obika has gone from a fringe player who we don't need to someone who could be 100% vital to the rest of our season.
  • Options
    Thought he made a real difference last night. He added strength and aggression and really gave them a different threat to worry about; something which despite his mandatory effort, Church just cannot offer. As well as the lift from the crowd, being thrust in so soon after coming must have given him a real boost. Let's hope he can maintain the positive energy he brought with him yesterday; a goal v Burnley would certainly help.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:

He's not going to be a world beater, but looked slightly better than Church and Sordell (which isn't hard).

Damning with faint praise.
    Far more influential than Church and posed their defence some real problems.
    Would be very happy to have him with us beyond this season.
  • Options
    thought he was excellent when he came on, would start him with Sordell personally
  • Options
    edited March 2014

dickplumb said:

He does , he's just woken up and smelt the coffee and realised "his" players are shit
    Roland didn't agree with Powell's opinion that they were shit, brought in his mate who said "err, yeah, they're shit".
    Think that might be closer to the truth than we suspect. Not that I think those players are "shit" but that the new players aren't a big step up from what we had and that we still needed a striker.

Hence the arrival of Obika and no sight in the first team squad of Polish Pete.

AA is, I'm told, injured. Not sure about Reza.

Whoever was advising RD (Dudu?) underestimated the Championship and overestimated the impact of the like of PP and Reza IMO Hence the willingness to let Dale and Yann go when fees were offered.

Now it seems there has been a bit of a reality check and we can see the benefits on the pitch.

On Obika; he did well, was big, strong, won the FK late on which lead to the winning corner. We looked far more threatening with him on, the ball stuck up top more and so we go good possession in the final third.

Still struggled to created that many clear cut chances. Until injury time : - )
    Good assessment, Henry. Shame Powell ended up the sacrificial lamb for nothing, if that is the case. Though I do wonder that it was more about the long-term - ie RD wants control over who is bought and sold with little/no input from the "head coach" other than to identify which positions need strengthening. That was, quite rightly, unacceptable to Chris - especially given his very strong track record in identifying good value signings. So less about "not picking the network players", more about managerial control of transfers in and out. Oh, and Chris probably dared to point out to Roland that most of the ones he'd provided so far weren't up to the job...

(Anyway, going off topic here...welcome Obiman.)

• Options
    A little birdy told me yesterday that Reza will be off at the end of the season, not sure where to. Pretty confident it's true
  • Options
    Alcoron probably
  • Options
    He made a difference coming on and was a nuisance that the Cherry defence couldn't ignore. His link up play was fair but as he only arrived yesterday I only expect this to improve. He did well for us last year, I think he enjoyed his last loan spell with us and I expect him to have a big role to play in the coming final weeks. I will go as far to say that he will be instrumental in keeping us up.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Irony. I thought you'd threatened to rip up your S/T at least once :-)
  • Options

Irony. I thought you'd threatened to rip up your S/T at least once :-)
    "Agree I will not renew but think my mind was made up Weeks ago as really don't want league 1 football again"

Floydroadunfaithful on the season ticket boycott thread : - )
  • Options
    He looked strong, happy to push defenders off the ball and pressurise them to make mistakes. If Riga can find a system up front which works with the three strikers we'll be ok.
  • Options

A little birdy told me yesterday that Reza will be off at the end of the season, not sure where to. Pretty confident it's true

Yann897 could you please stop 'LOLing' my comments that aren't an attempt at comedy, as I said I'm fairly confident it will be happen, not just made up negativity (not that he has set the world alight) ta. :-)