Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Johnnie Jackson : New Two Year Contract

Comments

• Pleased but surprised, doesn't seem to fit the model.

I suspect JJs financial demands are much lower than Yanns, probably "only" £3k per week rather than Yanns £8k plus.
  • Or having lost Yann RD was a bit more "flexible" with JJ?

We don't know so any attempts to use this to "prove" that Yann was greedy/wronged, Prothero is a genius/idiot, RDs plan is great/doomed fail.

Good player, good bloke, good signing but it doesn't prove anything either way

A post more neutral than the Swiss
  • thenewbie said:

Happy with this however can't help but think in the back of my mind that it's RD attempts to smear Powell's exit?

If he hadn't signed then there would be mass wrist-slitting over how a proper Charlton values charismatic captain was broomed by the evil Belgians! Can we just not be pleased that he'll be here next season?
    Was expecting this response. The point I'm making is simply the timing of the news. Powell releases his statement and an hour later the club release the news regarding JJ.

I never said I wasn't happy... In fact if your read what I put I said I was happy with this news.
  • Really pleased, as will my 7 year old be who absolutely loves this fine role model. Hope a few more good'uns are locked down now. Well done RD too. Hopefully a signal of hope and intent.
  • Slightly suprised at this, but more shocked it's a 2 yr deal. Really didn't see this one coming.
  • thenewbie said:

Happy with this however can't help but think in the back of my mind that it's RD attempts to smear Powell's exit?

If he hadn't signed then there would be mass wrist-slitting over how a proper Charlton values charismatic captain was broomed by the evil Belgians! Can we just not be pleased that he'll be here next season?
    Was expecting this response. The point I'm making is simply the timing of the news. Powell releases his statement and an hour later the club release the news regarding JJ.

I never said I wasn't happy... In fact if your read what I put I said I was happy with this news.
    I think if this had been coming for a while then JJ would probably have mentioned it when it reached fruition - presumably talks have been ongoing but to assume the signing of the contract occurred/was announced with such precise and nefarious timing seems a bit Machiavellian frankly. I am not sure RD actually cares enough to try and fob fans off, Powell is gone, he's got a better option in (as he sees it), the fans' opinions are unlikely to concern him that much.

It could just as easily be trying to get fans positive before the big game tomorrow, or just to demonstrate that the players do still want to be here.
  • Disappointed. Keeping better players out of CM. Can we now get a fee?
  • Good news indeed. He must be thrilled to get a two year deal.
  • Didn't
    Yann897 said:

Wow. Cannot believe this. Just getting more and more confused.

But then again - maybe Roland's heard that Jacko was a cut above in League One and therefore moved quickly to sign him up.

Makes a mockery of the Kermogant scenario though.

Maybe he's not as greedy as yann.
    Yann go because Roland refused to match Bournmouth's offer.....??

Good news about Jackson. Let's hope he hasn't kept him on just to ship him over to SL via P&O!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Happy with this however can't help but think in the back of my mind that it's RD attempts to smear Powell's exit?

I think RD is trying to keep fans sweet for the meantime before he unleashes fury!

I think he only made a few changes against Hudd's and now keeping JJ on...???

Can you imagine the almighty uproar if RD had completely changed the squad in the following game AND not re-newed HJ's contract....?!

Drama's....conspiracies.....murders!!!!
  • Happy with this however can't help but think in the back of my mind that it's RD attempts to smear Powell's exit?

I think RD is trying to keep fans sweet for the meantime before he unleashes fury!

Can you imagine the almighty uproar if RD had completely changed the squad in the following game AND not re-newed HJ's contract....?!

Uproar as in Chris Powell being sacked?

Uproar as in Chris Powell being sacked?
    I meant, can you imagine how unhappy the fans would have been if the side was completely changed against Hudd's and then JJ not having a contract re-newed. That after everything else would have not gone down well. :/
  • It's the calm before the shite storm.

Just a little sweetener before he gets that saw out again and starts chopping more people down.

Who will be next? It's like that big national lottery finger pointing down on you saying "it's you!!"

Mate not even Floyd and Harvey are
    Safe at the valley.
  • well done jacko brilliant
  • Fabulous news to wake up to. A little surprising yes, but this is what we need after a whole week's upheaval.
  • Never been entirely convinced JJ is champ material but I can't imagine us without him now. His goal scoring record from midfield is insane when you look at it. He is our lampard and this is the one slither of light we've had all week. Happy for him and for us cos at least we still have something and someone that still resembles our club
  • Jj well done
    But what I don't get if things were that bad behind the scenes

Why would captain jj sign and not want to move on?
  • This should settle him. I think he ha been uncertain this season.
  • Tunnel jumper.
  • Sponsored links:

• My Mum is over the moon! Think she has a secret crush on him.
    Surprised he got a deal given RD's youth policy. Nice to have someone left who cares about the club...
  • MSE7 said:

It's the calm before the shite storm.

Just a little sweetener before he gets that saw out again and starts chopping more people down.

Who will be next? It's like that big national lottery finger pointing down on you saying "it's you!!"

Safe at the valley.

I'd say you had more shandy than me last night reading some of your posts this morning.

Nice one JJ.

• edited March 2014

Well that's Riga's replacement in two and a half years sorted

This. But doubt Riga will still be here in 2 1/2 years next season.

Very pleased. He's slow but he's got a cool head most of the time, (we'll forgive late tackle at the Lane) and will give us a steadying influence on the pitch if League One becomes a reality.
  • He would be vital if we have a negative outcome this season.
  • Very happy with this, we all know jacko isn't our best player be what he is, is a man who gives his all for the cause I have no doubt he is charlton through and through and symbolises what we all look for in a players attitude. Has the makings of a proper charlton legend. Captain fantastic
  • MSE7 said:

It's the calm before the shite storm.

Safe at the valley.

Don't tell Flotd that, he's on here somewhere! :)
  • Would have preferred Kermogant tbh. I haven't been at the Valley as much as I would like, but the times I've been there he hasn't looked very good tbh and I don't think of him in the same way as other players like Matt Holland, John Robinson, Steve Brown, Shaun Newton or any of our other die-hard Charlton players. That's probably unfair - were he to stick around long enough he might, but I'm not that excited about him staying - I don't consider him essential to the club going forward.

Sorry for being a misery!
  • This is one where jacko's relative merits as a player are almost irrelevant. What is pertinent is that his preparedness to sign on gives us a bit of tradition to hang into amidst all the changes and a bit of reassurance that whatever experiments come our way, they will be part of an overall package that includes a little bit at least of a traditional approach. I'm pleased. I've been critical of his play in the earlier part of this season but he has been performing well of late. Good to have around in the championship. And if we do get relegated he will be a fixture in league 1.
  • I hope that today JJ attains true legend status by scoring a hat-trick, he deserves it!