Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Running and Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options
    I've entered the ballot for both the Royal Parks Half and the Great North Run ... but can only do one as I will be traveling from the States. Which one should I consider and why?
  • Options
    I did the Paras 10 at Catterick Garrison last year. 10 miles with a 35lb pack and boots,great fun and day out stayed over so had a good night too.They do one at Colchester as well which Im hoping to do as well this year.
  • Options
    When I ran the London Marathon nearly 30 yrs ago, I trained for 16 weeks started off by running from my mums, down the hill from Winns common to the top of Shooters hill via Plum Lane. Approximately 4 miles there and back, first time took me over 30 mins, got this down to 24mins, could never get under this.
    I would run to Charlton via nightingale vale to the village down Victoria way and up Charlton Lane and back home, got this down to 52 mins for approx 8 miles.
    I did quite a few runs to the cutty sark via via the top road and back along the lower road. I think this was about 12 miles and got it down to 80mins.
    I then stepped the distance up by running to rothehine tunnel and one night I ran to tower bridge & home this took me 2 hrs 20mins. I remember getting in and my dad asking me " where the fook have you been?" I would run without taking drink with me and the would only take a minute rest when I got to the place I was heading to.

Three weeks before the LM I went on a Gaelic football tour for two weeks to Ireland and spent most of that time on the piss. I did the LM in 3 1/2 hrs, I was disappointed in this as the last three miles took me 45mins as I walked them. I wish I carried it on, however I didn't.

I can't do any running now as I got an ankle problem, however I do walk a lot. Got a Jawbone Up24 for Xmas and have clocked up 1/2 million steps in five weeks.
  • Options
    I'm running the London marathon in April, first time I have ever done anything like it in my life.

Was a struggle to get going at first but have managed to get upto 14 miles so far, just 12 miles to go in the next 3 months should be manageable. Aiming for a sub 4 hour time, managed to keep to my time so far but can't imagine how the body must feel after 20 miles?

Speak to a professional through my charity often so have nutritional and training plans but if any of you have any advice to help me prepare for the marathon that would be much appreciated :).

• Options
    I know these are two stupid things but they have stuck in my mind since I did my first marathon.On my first marathon I didn't put my name on my vest and went with a time to beat as it was my first one I struggled in the last four miles and was way off the time I wanted which really ruined it for me but have ran four marathons since with no set time which took so much pressure off me and had my name on my vest and believe me having people call your name cheering you on really helps.
  • Options

Speak to a professional through my charity often so have nutritional and training plans but if any of you have any advice to help me prepare for the marathon that would be much appreciated :).

Learn the route, I had real problems when I was going round the Isle of dogs, not know where I was going, if you can picture in your mind how far around the course it will make it easier.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Doing the Brighton marathon in April. Have only done 1 half marathon a before and am not a "natural" runner...!
    Done 15 miles today in 2 hours 20 but wasn't too bothered with the timing as I'm more concerned about the mileage.
    I'm looking for some advice from the seasoned runners out there...
    Firstly my calf's are often really sore and tight for the first 5 miles or so which makes it uncomfortable. Secondly I keep getting a numbness at the sole of my left foot. I think it may be time to change the footwear? I went sweatshop before and got some good new balance trainers. How long do these need wearing in before the big run?
    Secondly I play football on a Tuesday, 7 a side at goals. I've had a few opinions on whether this is beneficial for marathon training. Some say it's like doing fartlek runs (stop/start). Other say I need to quit as potential injuries. Has anyone carried on playing football or other contact sports whilst training?
    Finally, my legs and hips are killing me right now after the 15 miles... the 26 miles seems near impossible at the moment! Walking around like I've had an accident! Can anyone recommend post training recovery such as bath salts etc?

Tom

• Options
    I am currently mixing playing rugby and marathon training and I find it is helping. Think of it as cross training and I agree it is a sort of fartlek type session.

As for calf muscles they are my nemesis. I use the knee length compression socks which I find have made a difference, Tha said the biggest difference was transitioning to forefoot striking, it has taken a good 9 months but have not had a calf injury for a long while now (over a year).

As for longevity or break in time on trainers most places will say they last about 500 miles and to take it easy when starting out in a new pair but I would not expect more than a 2-3 week break in period.

I empathise with the hip pain post long run, I know it. You will find it eases with motion. Don't just veg out on the sofa after a long run make sure you keep moving. Foam rollers may help - I am using one this time around but I am not 100% convinced so far.

Ultimately it is about listening to your body but also knowing when to tell it to man up and get on with it.
  • Options
    heavenSE7 said:

Firstly my calf's are often really sore and tight for the first 5 miles or so which makes it uncomfortable.

try this before you head out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zs4hh4cp98
  • Options
    Rina is spot on with that warm up. I was having on and off calf issues up until about 18 months ago when I started with a dynamic warm up.

@heavenSE7 - Tom, various things you can do for recovery. Have a pint of milk within 20 minutes of coming in the front door. Even better, get some chocolate Nestle milkshake power and have a chocolate shake. If you're having a shake, mix it up in a bottle and leave it in the fridge before you go out, then you can have it as soon as you're in.

Other option is to take a specific protein shake but if you've got a sensitive stomach like me, best to avoid them.

How did you feel after 15 miles? Did you feel like you had more in the tank? Or did you feel totally frazzled? If you feel totally spent, then perhaps try cutting your pace a little. Ok, obviously depends on what training schedule you're following but all my long runs are supposed to be slower than marathon pace. I'm aiming for 9:09 min/mile pace (bang on 4hrs) but I do all my long runs between 9:20-9:30 min/mile pace and then I do intervals and shorter threshold sessions in the week. As you say, the training is about getting the miles in and getting you to the start line in one piece.

If it helps, I ran 17.25 miles in 2:43 yesterday (9:28 min/mile pace). I'm aiming for between 3:59-4:10 in Brighton.

A couple of other tips. Get yourself a foam roller. Absolutely invaluable. Take a look at the You Tube tutorials on how to use them to self massage. Ice baths are also good. Fill the bath up with cold water just enough to cover your legs and then dump 3-4 2kg bags of ice in. You can pick them up for £1 a bag or less at Tesco. Keep your running shorts/tights on and then lower yourself in slowly and stay in for 20-30 mins if you can. Makes a world of difference to how your legs will feel next day. Then stay active. Dont just then lay on the sofa for the rest of the day. Keep moving.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am also training for the London Marathon and well in to the training at the moment but keep picking up injuries. I know I should probably rest up but on that basis I would never run at all. I managed a 20 mile run at the Bramley 20/10 so happy with the distance but had a problem with the outside of my knee leading up to it so sure never did it any good. I have been told by a running buddy that it is my IT band and can get quite painful but calms down after the run. Any advice if safe to keep running with this as long as I can put up with the discomfort or tips how to make the problem go away?
  • Options
    Webby said:

I am also training for the London Marathon and well in to the training at the moment but keep picking up injuries. I know I should probably rest up but on that basis I would never run at all. I managed a 20 mile run at the Bramley 20/10 so happy with the distance but had a problem with the outside of my knee leading up to it so sure never did it any good. I have been told by a running buddy that it is my IT band and can get quite painful but calms down after the run. Any advice if safe to keep running with this as long as I can put up with the discomfort or tips how to make the problem go away?

Outside of knee problems are normally related to the IT band. There was another thread on this somewhere. Easily solved by using a foam roller 2-3 times a week. Plenty of You Tube tutorials available on how to use them. If doesnt clear up in 7-10 days, might be best to go see a physio.

As I've probably said on here before, my ex bruv-in-law is on the physio staff at Arsenal. They normally treat tendonitis niggles with 400mg of Ibuprofen 3 times a day for 7 days at a time. It takes a good 2-3 days to build up the anti-inflammatory properies in the bloodstream. Hope that helps.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Webby - could well be ITBS which probaby arises from increasing your mileage too quickly - it can mean a lengthy lay off (I've twice had 3-4 months of zero running due to it) , I'd strongly suggest you take 5 days off running, foam roller it every day and see a physio this week. Swimming/cycling probably okay in the meantime. And definitely purchase a knee band - worked miracles for me - doesn't cure the problem but reduces the friction build up (from the tight ITB passing over the knee) so that you can run much further (except when problem severe). See a physio but I'll bet your glutes are weak causing strain on the TFL & ITBS - so long term you'd need to do lots of glute strengthening exercises.

HeavenSE7 - agree with John in the milk, I usually have a pint of milk and a banana after a long or hard run - and chocolate milkshake after a race - such as TW half yesterday where I dipped under 1:23, which means I should be on for a pb at the flatter Paddock Wood next month.
  • Options
    Anyone got decent tips on Shin Splint returns... been 3-4 years since I last had them and they're back angrier and more painful than ever... (Got new running shoes so was probably too short a transfer between shoes)

• Options
    Thanks for that advice all .... I have a knee support and yes will certainly drink the milk after the run. Will take the few days off and give the Ibruprofen a chance to work. Will also source a foam roller and see how we go from there. Have the Bath half marathon on Sunday so hopefully will have improved in time for that :-)
  • Options
    My idiot brother is running the Brighton and the London Marathons.

He is a fruitcase, obv.
  • Options
    Webby said:

... Will also source a foam roller and see how we go from there. Have the Bath half marathon on Sunday so hopefully will have improved in time for that :-)

get a solid core one, the pure foam ones don't last long in my experience. There's no running you can do that will improve your performance by Sunday so good time for a break and/or cross training.

• Options
    Thanks all for replies.

Quite sore today but heading to the gym now to stretch and use the pool.

26 miles seems impossible at the moment but I have 5 long runs left ta king me to the 29th March, leaving me with the 5th April to taper down for the 12th.

I planned to hit 16 next week, 17.5, 19, 20/21, and finally 22. Does this sound about right? I would be happy with a 4:30 finish time as like I say not a "natural runner"!

Think I will be buying some new trainers this weekend so should be enough time to wear them in.

@JohnBoyUK @rina thanks for advice re milkshake and roller. I was blowing at the end of 15 as the route to my flat is up hill so was a real struggle! Hopefully the calf's improve. I have unusually big calf's so I wondered if It was due to the blood not getting to the muscles. fingers crossed the stretching works as it's quite painful.

Good luck to all in your marathon attempts!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    heavenSE7 - you need a longer taper or you won't be fresh and you will suffer.
    I'd suggest more like 16.5, 18, 20/21, 19, 15, 10 (or less), race - maybe each one give yourself an option to do a mile less if dead on your feet or a mile extra if the pace is still okay.
    Your long runs should ideally mirror the profile of the race, so if Brighton is flat do flat long runs - finish at the bottom of the hill back :-)
    Maybe see a physio about your calves.

PS There are several 20 mile races on 8th March which could be good timing for you e.g. Thameside 20 (Putney) -big advantage of this one is that they have pacing groups, so you could run with the 10 minute pacing group at least to halfway and then see if you want to stay with them or go faster/slower.
  • Options
    I done the great North last year. Was terrible in training, didn't run over 7miles. Completed the half in 1.59.12. Can honestly say it's the best thing I've ever done. I've entered the great South run this year, think it's 10miles in October.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    HELP!

Completed 21 miles yesterday in my long run. Kept the pace slow around 11 minute miles.

Woke up this morning to a frozen Achilles. Can barely walk as have little flexibility in the foot. Has anyone suffered with this before?

I've had a quick google and it appears to be called Achilles Tendonitis? Makes for scary reading, 3-6 months possibly at it's worst. Surely not! I'm hoping this is a case of "don't believe everything on google".

With only 3 weeks before the marathon and over £1,000 raised for Parkinsons I'd be gutted to pull out now.
  • Options
    I had my half-marathon yesterday, the North London Half from Saracens rugby ground to pitchside at Wembley, then back to egg chasing park.

One word to sum it up? Hills. I had been targeting some slopes in my training but I cannot do hilly routes at 9 minutes per mile, which would make my target of just under 2 hours.

It was really undulating. Apparently there was 532m of vertical climbing and I can think of at least eight sizeable inclines. Barely any of it felt flat.

Resuming my practice of following a nice bum and using that for inspiration, I made it to 6 miles in 54 minutes but I’d really been panting up one of the slopes.

About 7.5 miles in and struggling, I had a walk up one of the hills and got into a bad habit of doing that. My legs didn’t want to move, though. Therefore I slacked off to about 11 minutes per miles for a time of 2 hours 9 minutes. A little disappointing but I did everything I could to prepare – no beer for four weeks, lots of training and a very healthy diet. No one would have set a personal best yesterday.

I am very proud of my fundraising. I only saw one other runner advertising an animal charity, I have made £490 for the Aspinall Foundation’s lemur conservation project. That is thousands in poverty stricken Madagascar. In two runs I have therefore raised more than £1200 for primate conservation which is really humbling and incredibly special to me.

Fair play to any of you who are running full marathons. I physically couldn’t do it.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    heavenSE7 said:

HELP!

Completed 21 miles yesterday in my long run. Kept the pace slow around 11 minute miles.

Woke up this morning to a frozen Achilles. Can barely walk as have little flexibility in the foot. Has anyone suffered with this before?

I've had a quick google and it appears to be called Achilles Tendonitis? Makes for scary reading, 3-6 months possibly at it's worst. Surely not! I'm hoping this is a case of "don't believe everything on google".

With only 3 weeks before the marathon and over £1,000 raised for Parkinsons I'd be gutted to pull out now.

Well done on your 21.

See one of my posts above. 400mg Ibuprofen, 3 times a day for 7 days non-stop with food. Keep your foot elevated and sit it on some frozen peas. That should do the trick but do go and see a physio if not feeling any better in a couple of days.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Fair play to any of you who are running full marathons. I physically couldn’t do it.

Oh yes you could. Everyone has got a marathon tucked away in there.

A couple of my running club colleagues were commenting on Facebook that the NL half was a lot hillier than expected.

I had the novelty of a weekend off running which I'd promised myself after running 18.5 miles home from Whitechapel to Petts Wood on Thursday evening. There's running your LSR...then there's doing it after work when you're starving bloody hungry, jeez 3 hours of hell.

I'm feeling reasonably good at the moment. One long run left this coming weekend then I'll be dropping my mileage into my taper. I set a new PB for 10 miles on the Sidcup 10 course last weekend by over 2 minutes which was pleasing. I think the difference for me from this time last year is that I'm carrying a little bit more weight for the better. I ran Paris at 12st 4lbs and although I ran ok, I didnt feel as though I had anything left in my legs after 17 miles. I'm now consistently between 13st 2lb and 13st 4lbs and I feel so much stronger on my feet as a result. Didnt think that would be right really but my PT was convinced I was too light last year and the data from my last two months of marathon training certainly shows that he appears to be right. I felt strong on my 17 and 18 milers, the real proof will be on my last LSR this weekend.
  • Options
    @JohnBoyUK thanks for advice. Not sure how I didn't see it above but will try out the 7 day method. Fingers crossed.
    Going to get a sports massage tonight which I booked in last week. Apparently deals with sports related injuries also so fingers crossed she can help.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    heavense7: ask in advance for ultrasound for the Achilles.
    Hopefully you get running again soon, but probably best to avoid hills and anything faster than marathon pace.

I did a 20 Miles race on the 8th and have been injured since, first run today, an easy 6, seems to have gone okay, build up steadily this week but I'm short on long runs and don't think I'll be able to do one this weekend. Also I think my chance of a pb at London has gone, shame as I was feeling good. On the plus side, I don't think the disruption will affect my chance of a pb at Paddock Wood half in a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Was lucky enough to run the Miami marathon a couple of weeks back, all I can say is wow what a course. Running over the causeway towards South Beach at sunrise was truly one of my all time running highlights.

Easing off marathons and halfs now for the summer, really want to get close to a 40 minute 10k....easier said than done though.
  • Options

Ran part of the Cleveland Way the other weekend. Whitby - Sandsend - Runswick Bay - Port Mulgrave. Wind so strong initially it was a struggle to breathe. Fortunately the wind changed.
    Unfortunately the wind got stronger and it was a struggle to run. Went down from the cliff top to the beach outside Whitby. Sandsend was followed by a section of fell running before dropping down again to the beach at Runswick Bay. Another climb and more cliff top running followed.

Recommended to anyone finding themselves in that part of the world.
  • Options
    How's everyone getting on?

@heavenSE7 - how's that achilles of yours?
    @Salad - how's your injury?

I ran my strongest ever 21 miler two Sunday's ago, comfortably around 9:20 min/mile pace so fingers crossed, I'll be on for a decent PB in Brighton. Wont be sub 4 as think thats asking a little too much this time around but somewhere between 4:04-4:08 should be feasible. Think I've finally cracked the carb-loading too. Feel like I've put on a few lbs in the last few weeks so need to be careful in the next week or so. The Mrs is off to New York for work next week for 5 days, so at least I can control what I'm eating rather than have a huge plate of food put in front of me lol.