Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Running and Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Someone posted couple years ago what you had to do to break msrsthon record by doing other distances. For example would have to run x amount of 800 metre races in x amount of time - can anyone remember it?

Mr OneLung - think you are describing Yassos there. Where to get a very accurate prediction for your marathon time is to run 800m 10 times with active recovery between sets. Your time per 800m can be directly translated to the time in hours and minutes. So for example if you complete 10x800s and each 800m takes you 3m 50s to run then your marathon time will be 3h 50m. Of course you need to train as well but the yassos get incoporated in to your training and the speed can increase as you put more time into speed work on the track.
  • Options
    kigelia said:

Had a fail, but led to a performance I am prouder of than other marathons I have done. Tweaked a calf after about 2 miles and slowed to adjust my running style to cope with it. my left leg gradually fell to pieces as a result (moving up from calf to knee and then to my hip). The crowd got me through it in about 4.30 when I was aiming for 3.45 and felt confident of achieving that. Realistically should have stopped but refused to give in.

I am now trying to convince myself not to do another marathon as my legs wont handle it - no convinced I will success in that though.

Congratulations on finishing a marathon whatever the time you ran it in. Look after your calf the next few days... ice bath, rest, sports massage etc. And if you are like me, you'll be back again for another 26.2 miles soon enough!
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

Someone posted couple years ago what you had to do to break msrsthon record by doing other distances. For example would have to run x amount of 800 metre races in x amount of time - can anyone remember it?

Mr OneLung - think you are describing Yassos there. Where to get a very accurate prediction for your marathon time is to run 800m 10 times with active recovery between sets. Your time per 800m can be directly translated to the time in hours and minutes. So for example if you complete 10x800s and each 800m takes you 3m 50s to run then your marathon time will be 3h 50m. Of course you need to train as well but the yassos get incoporated in to your training and the speed can increase as you put more time into speed work on the track.
    the active recovery being a jog of the same duration as you're doing the reps in so a 3m50s jog in that example
  • Options
    Webby said:

Enjoyed the occasion of my first marathon after taking up running 6 months ago ..... Very pleased with my 4 hours 11 minutes but running buddies keep trying to tell me I can and should run a sub 4 hour ..... Think I will stick with my time and gracefully retire from marathons :-)

My first was a 4:34 was on target to finish with a 3:30 time then the IT band seized up and the last 10 miles were awfully slow... Still got a sprint finish in though...
  • Options
    Well done Webby
  • Options
    I'd like some advice from my fellow runners. I want to combine to two favorite pursuits -- Charlton and ruuning. I have tickets for the Brentford match but have yet to find a 5K or 10K race the weekend of October 24-25 ... given that what would be the closest parkrun (http://www.parkrun.org.uk/aboutus/) to the Valley? Dulwich? Bromley?
  • Options
    Isnt there a Greenwich Park Run now? Failing that, Danson Park in Bexleyheath?
  • Options
    Beckton is the closest but there's a river in the way. Hilly fields may be the easiest to get to the valley from. Otherwise bexley or greenwich (not actually in greenwich)
  • Options
    sigh, running ... got injured two weeks before London (calf), came back briefly before injuring anterior ankle ligament, no bruising or swelling, keep thinking it will be alright 'next week' but it's been 3 months so far!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That dont sound good Salad.

I've been struggling since Brighton. Ended up putting on over a stone when I went on holiday to Mexico in May and have only just got it back off. So many niggles, had ongoing back issues (MRI scan picked up dehydration in three of my vertebrae) but just slowly coming back now. Have managed to put together 8 weeks of running now but I feel slow and sluggish. I reckon it will be a good few months until I get anywhere near I was in the run up to Brighton.

Have pulled out of Berlin now. No point in running it when I wont do myself any justice.

Am in the ballot for London next year but it looks like I'll be on honeymoon for 3 weeks in March/April so already 99% likely to be deferring to the year after if I'm lucky enough to be drawn.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Salad said:

sigh, running ... got injured two weeks before London (calf), came back briefly before injuring anterior ankle ligament, no bruising or swelling, keep thinking it will be alright 'next week' but it's been 3 months so far!

That sounds properly shit.

This Plantar Fasciitis has properly screwed me over.

Since 2013 ive been Injured pretty much non stop.

March to September IT Band tightened (still ran both a Half and a Full marathon in that time)

September to November Sprained Ankle.

Throughout the entire year I suffered on and off with PFPS or Runners Knee in between bouts of this flaring up I managed to complete 2 half marathons.

Various football injuries (gave up 11 aside football whilst trying to overcome injuries)

Shin Splints - January to early March
    Ruptured Shoulder ligament - end of March to June I was unable to run, ride or lift weights and gained over half a stone in this short time
    Plantar Fasciitis early July to now and just won't budge.

I want to get back to running as I prefer it to cycling, but even cycling causes some mild pain in my Plantar Fasciitis ravaged arch.

I would go swimming, but having regained a stone and a half over these last 2 years... don't really feel comfortable shirtless.

January 2012 -13.5st
    January 2013 - 11.5st
    June 2013 - 10.5st
    January 2014 - 11.0 st
    January 2015 - 11.5 st
    Aug 2015 - 12.2 st

Losing weight to regain it is so depressing. The only saving grace is body fat has gone from 30% to 6% and back up to 15% letting me know I still have a good % of Muscle to Fat.

:disappointed:

• Options
    edited October 2015
    So. In a slightly drunken stooper ,i applied for London2016 online all because my wife said I'd never do it. And she's probably right. She did it 3 years ago, and whilst I was in awe of her ,I thought the training was madness and the distance obscene.
    Although I was a decent runner at school I pretty much hated it,always turning down the opportunity to go to district trials and events.
    "I'll never get through the ballot anyway" said the voice in my head as I hit the apply button. A friend,who's a decent runner has been trying for 5 years to get in without a sniff. It took my wife 3 attempts. Not a chance.
    So imagine my complete horror when the acceptance magazine dropped through the door this morning!!!!
    My wife's been pi55ing herself all morning and I can't even bring myself to open the pack and have a look.

• Options
    Your love it Carly burn!!!!! Training can be a bit of a nightmare at times but the day itself is fantastic and what a buzz an experience never to be missed.........good luck
  • Options

Your love it Carly burn!!!!! Training can be a bit of a nightmare at times but the day itself is fantastic and what a buzz an experience never to be missed.........good luck

Cheers kish. And you're right.The atmosphere the day my wife ran was fantastic.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Well done @carly burn .

I'm in the ballot for the 6th year in a row. 5 rejections thus far so you've been really lucky. Nothing through my door yet!

Now make sure you do it to teach her indoors a lesson :)

(As it happens, we've booked our wedding and honeymoon either side of the VLM so wont need to defer if I get a place!)
  • Options
    I got a spiderman cover.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Well done @carly burn .

I'm in the ballot for the 6th year in a row. 5 rejections thus far so you've been really lucky. Nothing through my door yet!

Now make sure you do it to teach her indoors a lesson :)

(As it happens, we've booked our wedding and honeymoon either side of the VLM so wont need to defer if I get a place!)

Cheers johnboy.
    I've just noticed that the date of it is the date of my late Dads birthday.
    I lost my dad 5 years ago,and if I ever did do the marathon, I always planned to run for the charity that is fighting against the particular cancer that killed him.
  • Options
    I ran a couple Marathons for charities that affected my friends and family and it makes it even more special and very emotional.It will really be a special day in many ways for you Carly burn
  • Options
    I'm nowhere near Marathon standard yet as i've just doing the 5k park runs about a month ago,my best time is 30m 28secs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You will get there addick1965 I started from scratch but did play football weekly.Got the confirmation in October for the following Aprils marathon and just followed the beginners training plan.I remember my first run was to do four lots of 3mins running and 2mins walking!
  • Options
    Bloody spiderman for me too!
  • Options

I'm nowhere near Marathon standard yet as i've just doing the 5k park runs about a month ago,my best time is 30m 28secs.

It's not about the time, it's about finishing the first one. Good luck, you won't need it but still...
  • Options
    Didnt even get a spiderman mag. They sent me an email to say no instead lol. 6th no in a row. Go me.
  • Options
    That's harsh!
  • Options
    Just found out that I got a place in the ballot for next April's London marathon.....super excited to be coming back to the UK to run my home town. Any other lifers get a place?
  • Options
    London rejection for me so I've entered Brighton with the plan being to run GFA so I don't have to worry about the ballot again

X-country season started for me last week and for the first time in a while I was fit for the first race so hoping to get a really solid base in over winter before going for it at Brighton. 26 weeks to go
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Didnt even get a spiderman mag. They sent me an email to say no instead lol. 6th no in a row. Go me.

Unfortunately didnt win one of the 3 places in our club ballot so booked to run Rotterdam at the beginning of April. I came out of the hat 4th, so was down as first sub in case anyone chaned their minds. Obviously injuries would just mean deferring to 2017.

By some kind of divine intervention, one of the winners ruptured his Achilles at cross country and made the decision to withdraw rather than defer so I'm now running the VLM. Unfortunate circunstances but I finally get to run the VLM. Rotterdam has been binned. Shame I'd already booked the flights!

Anyhow, does anyone on here use the Hanson method? No long runs beyond 16 miles?!?!
  • Options
    How's everyone getting on?

I was going ok until about two weeks ago. I seem to have acquired an ITBS problem which is bast**d painful and has knocked my confidence somewhat.
  • Options
    Up to 19 miles now. Bloody hard but I'm getting there.

For anyone interested, Eddie Izzard is currently on his 20th Marathon in 20 days!
    His goal is 27 by next weekend for sport relief.
    Training for a marathon myself,It defies logic and will be an unbelievable feat.
    Good luck Eddie.

bbc.co.uk/marathonman