Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Running and Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options
    jamescafc said:

Really struggling to beat my 5k / 10k PBs no matter how much I train - currently at 25.06 and 52.12 respectively.

Any tips as to how I should be using my 2 weekday training slots more effectively?

Have you been doing any speed sessions?
  • Options

jamescafc said:

Really struggling to beat my 5k / 10k PBs no matter how much I train - currently at 25.06 and 52.12 respectively.

Any tips as to how I should be using my 2 weekday training slots more effectively?

Have you been doing any speed sessions?
    No never really known had to,structure the training
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

Make one of your sessions an interval session - if you tag on to a local running group you won't have to worry about discipline/planning
  • Options
    Attention run-fans: PB for Bagpuss at Bromley parkrun this morning. 20:24 :)
  • Options
    Numbers said:

red_murph said:

jamescafc said:

Garmin Forerunner 110 or 210 if you want the footpod (for cadence analysis). Get a hr monitor as well

Will the Forerunner 110 show me map of my route when I've synced the watch to the database?
    Just on this James. I have a Forerunner 110 and it's a very nice thing but does have issues with uploading runs etc. Even after updating the software. I like it, I get by with it but I think there must be more stable platforms out there.
    Agree. I have issues with it too. I think it's related largely to the stupid cradle design (I have the same problems with the 210 as I used to have with my old 110, so it's not related to an individual model). The contacts on the back of the watch seem to be extremely finicky and regularly mean that the watch isn't detected via USB when first plugged in. I've been able to alleviate this almost entirely by first making sure I rub a cloth or a t-shirt or something over the contacts, then plugging the cradle in WITHOUT it being connected to the PC, then, once it's snug in the cradle, connect to the USB port.

Still by far the most reliable and accurate GPS watch I've used (though it takes a while to pick up a signal sometimes, this is because of the relatively small size/power of the GPS chip in them - there isn't much you can do about that unless you get a bigger watch - and who wants to run with a bulky bit of kit on their arm?)

James - you just need to install the Garmin Connect software that comes with the watch, and then plug it into your PC when you've finished your run - upload to the Garmin Connect site and you'll get all your route analysis, HR measurements etc from there
    Agree with all this, I upload to strava as well as garmin connect. Anyone else on Strava? Could start a CL Strava club maybe.
    Im on Strava, love it. Upload from my Garmin 800 for the bike and use my phone to track runs. Also load swims on manually.

Hereford triathlon tomorrow :)
  • Options
    Well done Bagpuss, I ran Orpington Parkrun today with my 8 year old doing his first in 27.30, really proud of him as he ran the whole way and beat his mum by over 5 minutes.
  • Options
    I think everyone on this thread knows the addictiveness of running. I'm 61 now and have run all my life and absolutely love it. I'm toning things down a bit now because turning training into a chore is the worst thing you can do. I still manage to run 3 or 4 times a week and try to take it easy. It's more about burning the calories now as my race days are over. I aim to burn off about 650 calories when I run. I do that by running 4 miles in about 33 minutes and warming down for about 5.

I always stretch before and after and it works for me. Also, 50 press ups and some abs work and that's my workout. My abs workout is something that I used to do in my rugby playing days. Very simple. Lie on your back and, legs straight, raise them about 2 or 3 inches off the ground. Hold for a slow count of 60 and relax. Repeat twice more with a minute break in between. A simple workout but effective, for me anyway.

Keep it up everyone and for those who are thinking of getting into it I would thoroughly recommend it.
  • Options
    For those of you wanting a CL Strava Club, we did set one up a while ago for the cyclists but have made it multi-sport now...
    http://www.strava.com/clubs/34412

• Options
    Despite really suffering fitness-wise since Paris, I somehow managed to run my second marathon on Saturday at the Ranscombe Challenge, a multiple lap trail run around the Ranscombe Farm nature reserve near Rochester.

Although when I originally booked it I intended to run it as a marathon, my recent fitness made me go into it with no expectations and would just treat it as my long slow run for the week. Since Paris, I'd only managed two 10 mile runs so to be able to get to half distance was the first target then anything else after that was a bonus. I'd gone out deliberately slowly and intended to enjoy it as much as possible so was stopping to take some pics on the way around but because I'd run it slowly, I didnt hit the wall and I only drank two bottles of water all the way around with two gels and I felt reasonably good. So to come away from there and say I'd just finished my second marathon, I'm feeling pretty smug with myself now although my legs are telling me to do one.

Paris was flat. Ranscombe definitely wasnt...

Stunning scenery though...

Think I may just stick to road marathons from now on in...
  • Options
    What time did you do the leisurely trail in JohnBoy? Well done for doing your second. I am looking for my second one now, probably Berlin or Paris.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    5:20. Not bad considering I'd done pan flat Paris in 4:24. I wouldnt mind, the training schedule for Amsterdam said I only had to do a 75 min LSR.

Cant compare the trail runs to road runs. I made the mistake of running in road shoes too rather than trail shoes and I felt every single lump and bump on the way round.
  • Options
    Well done JohnBoy - the running in itself is just such a great thing to do regardless of the time which is still good btw!
  • Options
    I did my first organised race yesterday, the London 10k. I only started running a year ago, so not the fastest in the world yet, but was hoping for a sub-hour time.

In my training in Brighton my fastest was 1:00:20 and that was with walking for five minutes in the middle so was confident. Yesterday I didn't stop once and ran all the way yet my time was 1:01:19?? And even stranger MapMyRun on the phone told me that I'd actually run just under 11k in that time and not 10.

The other runners in my team also all had varying distances on their garmins etc, around 10.5k-11k.... So do any running experts on here know the score when it comes to this sort of thing? My suspicion is that I must have ran 10k under the hour and that through weaving around walkers and taking corners wide and all that I actually ran further than the advertised distance.

Is this normal at these kind of events??
  • Options
    (We raised just under five grand for charity so it doesn't really matter I suppose!)
  • Options
    Yeah, thats kind of normal. You need to take the optimum line through corners and try to avoid running around people to run as near to the distance as possible. I ended up running another 0.27 miles further than I needed to during the Paris Marathon.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Yeah, thats kind of normal. You need to take the optimum line through corners and try to avoid running around people to run as near to the distance as possible. I ended up running another 0.27 miles further than I needed to during the Paris Marathon.

Makes sense then.... Cheers. I'll pretend to myself I did it in less than an hour :)
  • Options

I did my first organised race yesterday, the London 10k.?

What a first race to choose, almost certainly the most hated race there is amongst the running community. Organisation is always a complete shambles and I can't believe they are allowed to continue running it or that people still pay them £50 to do it

Seems to be a general consensus that this year's cock up was that they didn't run the advertised route and it was actually long

If you read the reviews for other years on runnersworld you can see everything else they've done wrong over the years

• Options
    edited July 2014
    What would you recommend for working from 5k- 10k. I completed that couch to 5k app a few weeks back and have run 3 5k's a week. Shall I build it up a km each week or just go for 10k and see what happens?

I hadn't run before that app and now I am addicted. Not sure I could run 10k straight though, I am still tired after doing 5k.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    tom- k said:

What would you recommend for working from 5k- 10k. I completed that couch to 5k app a few weeks back and have run 3 5k's a week. Shall I build it up a km each week or just go for 10k and see what happens?

I hadn't run before that app and now I am addicted. Not sure I cpould run 10k straight though, I am still tired after doing 5k.

I was similar to you just four or five months ago - I used the 10K Runner app by ClearSky on iPhone to take me from 5 to 10. It's really similar to the training routine from couch to 5k. Would thoroughly recommend the app - I'm not sure I could have made the jump from 5k upwards without it.

For me now I'm debating whether to stick at 5 and 10k's which I enjoy, and just try and get faster, or jump up to a half marathon...

Running is damn addictive and what I love is that when you think you've hit your limit it only takes a few weeks of a new training plan to smash through those walls.
  • Options
    I've taken abit of a break from just running as have got into this tri's year. Though the cross training had actually really helped my run alt times.
    am signing up for the victoria marathon over here in British Columbia towards the end of October and would love to hit the Boston qualifying time of 3h 10 for my age group. Ran my first marathon last year in 3 27 and am stronger now. Any of you real runners can recommend a training plan to get me there?

starting from a good base as hoping to run a 3 50 marathon split in ironman in a couple of weeks. Ta
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    tom- k said:

I hadn't run before that app and now I am addicted. Not sure I could run 10k straight though, I am still tired after doing 5k.

Tom, I started with couch to 5k at the start of the year and then followed the BUPA 10k beginner training programme before doing the run in London a few months back. Never in a million years thought I would be able to do it but is very achievable.

I've let it slip since then but 5k is an easy-ish run for me now, which would have been a miracle before! Just getting back into it again and getting sore legs before trying to build up to 10k again.

Don't go for 10k straight away, build it up steadily and get some running in those legs.
  • Options
    I've built up to around 8-10km in around 40 mins. What I'm not sure about is how often I should be running and how to structure differing distances to keep my body guessing. Anyone have any decent programmes they would recommend?
  • Options
    Well done to all those that have been running and training. I've enjoyed reading your logs. However, it makes me feel a little jealous as I had to give up running permanently earlier this year after two prolapsed discs. I was advised that I could cause further irreparable damage if I continued to run. I had a successful epidural last year which lasted a few months but I am now waiting for a second after the initial one has worn off with sciatica returning. At least I can still do other training to keep me active.
  • Options
    Have really enjoyed reading all these running threads as really hoping to start running again soon after injuring myself in my last marathon and then didnt help myself by starting to run to early.As mentioned above you certainly get caught by the running bug once you start as its something I'd never done before doing my first marathon from scratch.
  • Options
    You could say I've learned from my previous mistakes this time round.

After Paris, I ran a 5k recovery run dead slow 24hrs after but then rode a 50 mile bike ride the day after that and it absolutely destroyed me and hitting the wall twice in less than 3 days took me a long time to recovery from. So this time round, I've done absolutely nothing since Saturday's marathon apart from rest and I dont intend to do anything until the weekend at the earliest. I have to say that my legs are still feeling a little sore now, 4 days later!
  • Options
    *Full Kit Wanker Alert* I ran a local 5K this past weekend and there was this bloke running in his Tottenham kit ... and I live in Seattle. Wrong in so many ways.
  • Options
    Was probably one of the 1st team given they played the Sounders at the weekend!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Did my first Half Marathon last November in Lancaster. Really enjoyed it and planning to do it again this year. Did it in 1:35. Hoping to shave a little off that this year round
  • Options
    For those looking for a program to follow I have used Hal Higdon's which you can get off t'internet. Pretty good structure and advice from one of the sages of the sport.

On another note I have just had a hernia operated on so out of the running for now. Anyone tell me how long is a conservative recovery time (and yes I realise it's a "how long is a piece of string" type question)? I had an umbilical hernia if that makes any difference. Right now shuffling down the road and tying my laces is a real challenge but for someone only four days after the procedure seems to be progressing ok.
  • Options
    Do we have a local running shop? I need some decent socks (but not Nike).