Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Running and Marathon Thread

Comments

• tom- k said:

Do your running times automatically get faster the more you run or do I need to work towards that? I've been doing 5k in 27-30 mins but no faster than that. Had some time off recently due to some injuries but want to get back into it this week.

Weight is a factor of course. Worth 2 seconds per pound per mile, or so I've heard
  • Am running the Kent Coastal Marathon this coming Sunday as part of my warm up for Amsterdam.

Bit of a story to share with you all. There's one hell of an awesome lady at my running club who deserves a special mention as when she runs on Sunday, she'll be racking up her 500th marathon!!!

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/11440874.Sixty_nine_year_old_Greenwich_woman_prepares_for_500th_marathon_run/?ref=var_0
  • edited September 2014
    The route may have changed as I am going back many years but when I did it there was a steep hill in Ramsgate near Neros Night Club (not sure whether it's still called that) coming up from the Prom to the top which was around the 20 mile mark. Just what you want (not).

Good luck anyway!
  • Pb today at parkrun - First time under 20 mins:)
  • Today's the day that the London Marathon magazine starts hitting the doormats. Fingers crossed.
  • edited October 2014
    I'm signing up today for the North London half-marathon, for greater bamboo lemurs. T'is March 15th, begins and ends inside Saracens egg chaser stadium and goes through Wembley.

I did one 2 years ago (for lorises) in 2:05, so I'll be aiming for under 2 hours this time. I was a heavy smoker then so I already have a head start.
  • Thats the way to do it RedPanda, pick a race and now you've got some motivation for the next 5 months of hard slog ahead of you in the winter months.

Sadly didnt get into London (again!) so its just Brighton for me now in April, followed by the Kent Roadrunner at the end of May booked up for next year. Got Amsterdam this weekend and maybe will book one more up for late Nov/early Dec to make it 5 marathons this year.

Hmm, carb loading :)
  • @JohnBoyUK‌ I'll be doing kent roadrunner as well, I've done it 2 of the 3 times it's been run. Have you picked your race number yet? Think I have no.9 this time

I'm thinking of running the Kiev marathon but it clashes with London and I love working on the 20 mile water station there
  • Anyone recommend a shop where they check what trainers u should be wearing in accordance to your gait/style of run etc. think I've got shin splints and need to new trainers as the pain has spread to my knee. Sharp intermittent pains running from above the left ankle, through the shin up to knee. The knee feels so unstable and weak as well. Stopped running outside because of uneven surfaces, I thought going on a treadmill might help, but still no good.

Read that the trainer is the key. I live in Westcombe Park so anywhere local to that. Cheers
  • if you're got private healthcare, you can get referred to the London Podiatry Centre at Lewisham. Arsenal send all their players there for biomechanical testing.

As for shops, Sweatshop at Bluewater are good as they allow a 30 day return if you're still not happy.

Also Runners Need at Canary Wharf are decent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Well Amsterdam was a bloody disaster. Was violently ill Saturday evening which ruined my carb loading. Started with an empty stomach and literally walked most of the last 13 miles, finishing in 4:34. Feel shattered now so going to have a bloody good rest and cut the miles down and build up again for April next year.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

if you're got private healthcare, you can get referred to the London Podiatry Centre at Lewisham. Arsenal send all their players there for biomechanical testing.

As for shops, Sweatshop at Bluewater are good as they allow a 30 day return if you're still not happy.

Also Runners Need at Canary Wharf are decent.

Thanks mate. Might hit that one in Bluewater as I'm literally on the a2 exit at westcombe park. Not sure about getting referred to where the arsenal players go given their injury list;-)

Sorry to hear about Amsterdam
  • edited October 2014
    JohnBoyUK said:

Well Amsterdam was a bloody disaster. Was violently ill Saturday evening which ruined my carb loading. Started with an empty stomach and literally walked most of the last 13 miles, finishing in 4:34. Feel shattered now so going to have a bloody good rest and cut the miles down and build up again for April next year.

Take the positive out of it.

4:34 walking half of it means you were going at a good lick when you were running!

You know what went wrong so next time there is a good chance you'll pull everything together.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

I got mine there a couple of years ago and would also recommend it. They’ll help you try a few pairs on then put you on a treadmill. I love the Brooks trainers I have, they’ve always been really comfy and have stayed in great condition.

Chin up JohnBoy, even walking that's a better time than 99% of people could ever do.
  • Amsterdam was just one of those things. We have good and bad days and that just happened to be a bad one. Not upset, took it on the chin and moved on within 10 minutes of crossing the finishing line. On to the next one now :)
  • If you're running a half-marathon, what's the recommended mileage that you practice up to? I'm reading conflicting information, is it 10 or 11..? I think I ran 12 miles before my last one and that messed up my knees.

Thanks.
  • Depends on what your background is Red Panda. Are you a complete novice or are you a regular 10km runner? Also knee (as well as other) injuries can arise from all sorts of causes from over-training to incorrect shoes to existing injuries (and not just to the legs).
  • RP,

I've not done a half but that is my aim in the next year or so.

I've followed the BUPA regimes for my 5k and 10k's and they've worked really well for me.

This is their Beginners Half-Marathon guide, they also have other options for intermediates and experienced..

http://www.bupa.co.uk/running/training/training-programmes/beginner-half-marathon/

• edited February 2015

Depends on what your background is Red Panda. Are you a complete novice or are you a regular 10km runner? Also knee (as well as other) injuries can arise from all sorts of causes from over-training to incorrect shoes to existing injuries (and not just to the legs).

I did a half-marathon in 2012. I'm back up to 9 miles now, my run is on March 15th. I've been doing alright except after a long run it feels like I have bruising around my shin bones for a few days, my knees have mostly been okay. I got shoes fitted in 2012.

Thanks for the link Murph, that says 12 miles so I'll aim to do that in early March.
  • When training for the marathon I was told by a qualified trainer to train for a half marathon you needed to run 10 miles non stop and no further plus 18 miles for a marathon and no further.I did complete both half and full marathons on that advice but have heard of so many different training ideas and ways since.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2015
    RedPanda said:

If you're running a half-marathon, what's the recommended mileage that you practice up to? I'm reading conflicting information, is it 10 or 11..? I think I ran 12 miles before my last one and that messed up my knees.

Thanks.

RP, before I ran my first half in years in 2013, I actually ran 13.1 distance twice before I ran the actual race, just so I knew I had the legs for the distance then it was all about finding some speed. To be honest, I dont really think it makes much difference from experience. Try not to exceed your mileage by more than 10% each week and you'll be fine.

Have been really struggling with virus' and Asthma since early December. Just finished by 3rd course of antibiotics. Had managed about 3-4 eight milers up until last week but am well behind where I was last year. Trundled a long and slow 13.1 in 2:03 on Sunday from Petts Wood to Mottingham, Grove Park, up through Downham to Bromley then back through Bickley but christ, it took me 8 miles to warm up. (Totally ignoring the 10% rule...naughty naughty!) Legs felt ok after but really didnt help that the Mrs dragged me round Bluewater that afternoon. Was out on my feet after I'd walked 5k and 8,000 steps! Just hope to god we're not in for weeks of snow now otherwise it will put paid to a lot of people's marathon training.

Anyhow, I went to the Institute for Sport, Exercise and Health on Tottenham Court Road last week, to meet Mara Yamauchi. I was invited to her 'preparing for a Spring Marathon' workshop. For those that dont know of Mara, she's the second quickest ever female GB marathon runner behind Paula Radcliffe and she retired a couple of years ago. Her Marathon PB is 2:23 to put my long slow Sunday trot into perspective. Picked up some brilliant training tips. Most of its common sense but when you hear from one of the 'pros' that if you miss a week of training, dont stress about it, it makes you feel a damn sight better. I've got a loads of notes from the workshop so when I get some time, I'll post some of the stuff up here if anyone is interested.
  • Sounds really interesting JohnBoy and look forward to reading the post
  • RedPanda said:

Depends on what your background is Red Panda. Are you a complete novice or are you a regular 10km runner? Also knee (as well as other) injuries can arise from all sorts of causes from over-training to incorrect shoes to existing injuries (and not just to the legs).

I did a half-marathon in 2012. I'm back up to 9 miles now, my run is on March 15th. I've been doing alright except after a long run it feels like I have bruising around my shin bones for a few days, my knees have mostly been okay. I got shoes fitted in 2012.

Thanks for the link Murph, that says 12 miles so I'll aim to do that in early March.
    Also it is a very good idea to get your leg muscles massaged regularly. You can do this yourself by using a foam roller which most gyms have or quite inexpensive from Amazon/online. Always start a run with dynamic drills (e.g high knees for 30 seconds, heel flicks for 30 seconds, standing lunge 5 on each leg, running fast on the spot for 30 seconds) and then finish with stretches to the calves, hams and glutes. A bad knee can come from a tight IT band which you need to foam roll out or see a sports masseur for.

Let me know if you want more info on the exercises.
  • Ran 5.2miles to work in the snow this morning. Now I'm going to the Gym and later I'll Run 5.2 miles back home... (The gym is here)
  • edited February 2015
    JohnBoyUK said:

RedPanda said:

If you're running a half-marathon, what's the recommended mileage that you practice up to? I'm reading conflicting information, is it 10 or 11..? I think I ran 12 miles before my last one and that messed up my knees.

Thanks.

RP, before I ran my first half in years in 2013, I actually ran 13.1 distance twice before I ran the actual race, just so I knew I had the legs for the distance then it was all about finding some speed. To be honest, I dont really think it makes much difference from experience. Try not to exceed your mileage by more than 10% each week and you'll be fine.
    Did you do taper runs following your 13.1 runs before the race?
  • Here you go peeps, I typed up my notes from the workshop with Mara here. Posted them on my blog as a bit too long to post on here.

JohnBoyUK said:

RedPanda said:

Thanks.

Did you do taper runs following your 13.1 runs before the race?
    Looking back at my Garmin Connect records, I did taper but not totally through running. After the second 13.1 run, which was 2 weeks before the race, I ran twice in the second to last week then just once in the last week, filling the other sessions with Gym work.

Slightly different topic, I bought a copy of 'Racing Weight' yesterday, have only just started it but it may be what I need to give me a kick up the backside. My training is right, just the diet lets me down. I count my calories regularly and I can lose weight no problem but I need to start eating the right things rather than thinking yes I can eat fish and chips after I've burnt of 1,700+ calories on a long run.

Yes I realise I need to live as well so everything in moderation but I want to get bloody better. I wasted far too many years as a teenager and twenty-something just throwing my health down the pan by not looking after myself.

BTW, does anyone on here read 'So Let's Go Running?'. If so, my 'story so far' was featured in December's issue! :)

• Thanks for posting @JohnBoyUK did she give any tips on how to run at 85% naturally (i.e. without electronic gadgets)?

• Thanks for posting @JohnBoyUK did she give any tips on how to run at 85% naturally (i.e. without electronic gadgets)?

Ah yeah, she did. Its the point where you're blowing out your backside and you cant hold a conversation, just broken sentences as she put it. If you can speak comfortably, you're not running hard enough.

• Cheers. Although as I often run alone I will take an educated guess as whether I could hold a conversation rather than talk out loud.

Presumably running at 100% you can barely speak at all.

• Cheers. Although as I often run alone I will take an educated guess as whether I could hold a conversation rather than talk out loud.

Presumably running at 100% you can barely speak at all.

It's like being with the Mrs and her girly friends, no matter what you want to say, the words just don't make it out, leaving you feeling exhausted and exasperated.