Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Yohann Thuram (zombie thread)

Comments

• Options
    Another way of looking at this from the training aspect is that it may be good experience for both Hamer and Alnwick to train alongside a top quality keeper (going by feedback read over the past few days) who has international aspirations.

Thuram gets to experience life and maybe game time in the English second tier (which is a tough league to prove yourself in as we all know) and our keepers get to share different training methods etc.

Alnwick definitely deserves the number 1 shirt off the back of his recent performances. Him replacing Hamer along with Wood's return to the team has coincided with our recent half decent run of form. Coincidence?
  • Options

Would I be right in thinking he'd be a first on 2 fronts? Our first black 'keeper and the first to favour a short sleeved shirt. All very cosmopolitan!

darren randolph
    carl ikeme
    neil etheridge

so our 4th i believe

• Options
    Jason Brown was in our youth team also
  • Options
    Ah yeah..thats true

technically, yohann will be our 3rd BK i think as neither ethheridge nor brown played for the first team

massively under-represented position...in all my years playing sunday league i only saw 2 black keepers. Cant understand why that is
  • Options

“Ben Hamer is back on the bench but he's still not fully fit'
  • Options

Ah yeah..thats true

technically, yohann will be our 3rd BK i think as neither ethheridge nor brown played for the first team

massively under-represented position...in all my years playing sunday league i only saw 2 black keepers. Cant understand why that is

I've always though that too. Strange.
  • Options

What's wrong with the training at Standard Liege?? Bit of a weird one this.

Agree with Large. Also doesn't RD actively encourage his players to move abroad and get both life and playing experience, learn other languages and experience different culture.

Does sound like RD is putting him the shop window for someone bigger than us then. Fair enough if it lines the pocket of our owner.
    He can't be in the shop window if he isn't playing for our first team though can he?
  • Options

Would I be right in thinking he'd be a first on 2 fronts? Our first black 'keeper and the first to favour a short sleeved shirt. All very cosmopolitan!

darren randolph
    carl ikeme
    neil etheridge

so our 4th i believe

1st if you don't include the others or our first french black player in goal.
  • Options

What's wrong with the training at Standard Liege?? Bit of a weird one this.

Agree with Large. Also doesn't RD actively encourage his players to move abroad and get both life and playing experience, learn other languages and experience different culture.

Does sound like RD is putting him the shop window for someone bigger than us then. Fair enough if it lines the pocket of our owner.
    He can't be in the shop window if he isn't playing for our first team though can he?
    Word will get about though. any potential interest from over here, they wouldn't have to travel to belgium to see him train (he wouldn't be playing over there either)
  • Options
    Chris will be told to play him, do not think new owner will be shy in team selection if effects his pocket.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We dont need a keeper we av 3 keepers as it us , alnwick looks very assured and at the moment he should keep the jersey , hamer and pope are superb back up , we really need goalscorer.
  • Options
    Found it frustrating that over the years we consistently get in loan or free keepers from other clubs instead of sticking our youth prospects in the fray. Darren Randolph epitomises this. Either we're not giving our youngsters a chance, which is incredibly counter productive, or our youngsters are terrible, which means we need a better youth keeper so sign one of those!
  • Options
    Got a bit lost reading through this thread, but I sense there is much more agreement than not. On one level, what's not to like? If Thuram is a top keeper then he'll improve the side and that has to be good. Five months is a long time in football, especially given where we're starting from, and the focus needs to be on the here and now.

However, the key question is whose call is this and what does Chris Powell think. He's built a fantastic esprit de corps within his squad and if his authority and credibility is undermined then that will be hard to sustain. Imagine Thuram comes in and Hamer leaves for a loan spell at Carl Zeiss Jena. What will warriors like Morrison, Kermorgant, Cousins et al think of that? Not a forecast, but for me this the question as far as Monsieur Duchatelet is concerned.
  • Options

Imagine Thuram comes in and Hamer leaves for a loan spell at Carl Zeiss Jena.

Don't forget Hamer has German heritage! He might like a pop in goal back "home"?

• Options
    Lets hope yohann is more a bernard lama than a charles itjandge!
  • Options
    Anyone know how the Blues fans have taken to Randolph? I'm still of the opinion he's better than all off Elliot, Hamer and Alnwick and that we really should have tried harder to keep him.
  • Options

Anyone know how the Blues fans have taken to Randolph? I'm still of the opinion he's better than all off Elliot, Hamer and Alnwick and that we really should have tried harder to keep him.

He certainly went up in my estimations away at Birmingham when he spilled Stewart's shot leading to our goal and 3 most welcome points :-)
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 37s
    DONE DEAL: Yohann Thuram-Ulien signs on loan from Standard Liège until June 30th --> http://cafc.co.uk . #cafc
  • Options
    Is he waterproof ?
  • Options
    If tomorrow goes ahead I would play him in the Cup.Alnwick should keep the gloves in the league at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lillian Thuram's cousin
  • Options
    Richard J said:

If tomorrow goes ahead I would play him in the Cup.Alnwick should keep the gloves in the league at the moment.

Unfortunately it was done too late for him to be available
    Thuram-Ulien was not signed in time to be eligible for Tuesday night’s FA Cup clash with Oxford United (7.45pm), but will be available for selection for Saturday’s Championship trip to Middlesbrough.
    Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140113-charlton-snap-up-thuram-ulien-1292961.aspx#smyLgEvtlSEtIzFr.99
  • Options

another goalkeeper just what we need , such foresight, we may be able to stay up by drawing 0-0 the rest of our games if we're allowed to play our 3 keepers

• Options

another goalkeeper just what we need , such foresight, we may be able to stay up by drawing 0-0 the rest of our games if we're allowed to play our 3 keepers

Roland logic .
    You're catching on

• Options
    Surely a Light House is the kind of keeper needed most at the Valley these days...

• Options
    I am all for new players coming in who are going to improve the team/squad however we have two decent keepers and in Alnwick we have one that is in good form and does not deserve to be dropped (assuming of course Thuram will go into the side). As is said above, goalkeeper is not really the priority position although the order of signings should not matter as long as we do sign a striker, maybe two, and a left midfielder.

Another concern is the fact that there does not seem to be an option to buy, guess we will see how he does first though.

I would hazard a guess that Hamer may be off. He has been linked with other sides, albeit loosely, in the past and as he is out of contract perhaps Powell is thinking we may as well get some money in.

Thuram certainly has good pedigree, despite the fact one of our last ex-French u21 players was Moutouakill, and if he is better than the two we have, then fantastic. Will eagerly be anticipating the team on Saturday.
  • Options
    Heard Hamer is being converted to a striker for the rest of the season as the staff believe he's a better option than Church.
  • Options
    Phew, welcome Yohann, hope you solve our keeper crisis, we were down to our last 3 professional ones.

TBF if he has Hamer's distribution and Alnwick's presence then he could be a decent acquisition.
  • Options
    Welcome hope he does well.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

My mate who's a blues fan says a lot (including him) think he's their best player at the moment.