Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Yohann Thuram (zombie thread)

Comments

• There is no wat Alnwick should be dropped at the moment. Ive been really impressed with him he has more than earnt a good run in the side.
  • Just seen this on the wall at sparrows lane

Team line up

Phillips Pope Alnwick Thuram Hamer
    Solly Morrison Wood Wiggins
    Cousins

Kermorgant

Team tactics
    Lump it
    1-0 wins for the rest of the season

Latest score:

Charlton 0 Ipswich 1(Kermorgant og)

• Daily Mail this morning, we are taking Thuram on loan.
  • If Thuram comes to us then would it not only be for a few months only as a loan? In the process of having to play him we'd lose one of Hamer or Alnwick and be pissing off the one left to warm the bench. Then when Thuram returns in the summer we will be in a slightly worse position for goalie, surely? Of course everything I have written is conjecture but is probably what a few people are thinking.
  • If Thuram comes to us then would it not only be for a few months only as a loan? In the process of having to play him we'd lose one of Hamer or Alnwick and be pissing off the one left to warm the bench. Then when Thuram returns in the summer we will be in a slightly worse position for goalie, surely? Of course everything I have written is conjecture but is probably what a few people are thinking.

I completely agree. Only take Thuram on loan if we are going to sign him on a perm in the summer.

• Must be true if it's in the DM then....

Let's say he arrives, plays and is terrific, what will happen in six months time?

We are meant to be building something. If the priority this yearbis to avoid relegation scrap, the keepers we have are perfectly good enough. This only makes sense if it is a signing not a loan.
  • Chunes said:

Is it on the OS yet? : - )

I thought that would never get old.
    And you were right : - )

• Trouble is harmony in the dressing room is one of the most important aspects of building a successful Football team in my opinion... Yes it would be great to have some of the best players available but it'll be for nothing if we cant get the newbies to gel, let alone getting them to gel with the current crop of players.

The Queens Park Rangers from last season is a perfect example of that... to many players came in who thought they were of a higher ilk than those who got them into the Championship, you heard of rifts between the two groups and ultimately it showed on the pitch as well
  • can't see what the problem is. Just before the takeover CP said that he wanted to bring new faces in but he'd need to be creative in doing so - loans, swaps, sell, maybe buy. What if Thuram comes in and we pay say £500 pw towards his wages with Leige footing the rest. We send Hamer out on loan and save maybe a couple of thousand a week on his wages. That allows CP to bring someone else in either loan or permanent. Isn't that being creative? An advantage of Roland owning a couple of Clubs is that he can structure it so that the less financially viable, at the moment, pay a smaller proportion of a loan players wages whilst the parent Club is still saving some money and also giving a benchwarmer some much needed game time. It may affect say Hamer or Alnwick's morale but for all we know either may have already been tapped up by another Club and could be off in the Summer anyway and I doubt they'd be too concerned about affecting team morale if that were the case. All conjecture but quite feasible. In CP we trust, for now anyway.
  • An article from a French source that apparently confirms it as well as stating his apparent strengths and weaknesses:

http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2014/yohann-thuram-ulien-agrees-loan-deal-with-charlton-athletic/

Do you think this could have been written by his agent ? Or even his mum ?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2014
    I agree that if Thuram is as good as is stated we should take him,but I also believe that Alnwick should keep the gloves and be given a longer contract.If these two things happen I accept that Hamer would be surplus to requirements because we do not need 3 senior keepers.

Not so long ago Alnwick himself was being talked about as having the potential to play for England but his career has never really kicked on and at 27 he has been on the books of ( including loans) 11 different clubs but only played around 65 league matches in that time.Compare that to Hamer who is a year younger but has played 240 games or Button who is 24 and played over 100 times for his various clubs.

I think that Alnwick needs to keep the shirt at the moment particularly after his penalty save against Ipswich which went a long way to earning us a point and with a run of games he could maybe reach the potential that made Spurs pay big money for him earlier in his career.Thuram should start as number 2 but could potentially play in the Cup against Oxford.
  • To be honest, he could be the best keeper in the world.

No good, if the rest if the team has to know what the French is for "Mine!"
  • it's OK Yann or Devite can translate for the rest
  • Richard Cawley ‏@RichCawleySLP 50m
    Could be a chance of Yohann Thuram, a goalkeeper at Standard Liege, coming in to #cafc. But initially might be just to train.
  • I have felt for a long time that we needed a new goal keeper as hamer is to cocky and over rated so I'm hoping we sell him or he leaves on a free. And that Alnwick I like and I hope he signes a new contract and fight it out with thuram for the number 1 spot
  • Never understood how goalies compete for the spot. The man in possession plays well he keeps the jersey.
  • Communication is very important between a back 5.

If Thuram speaks even schoolboy English, they could probably get by. But in the heat and bustle of a competitive game, miscommunication could be disasterous.
  • Never understood how goalies compete for the spot. The man in possession plays well he keeps the jersey.

Depends how well he does in training as well though... If he keeps dropping the ball, makes the wrong judgements or barely saves any shots then am sure the Manager will have his doubts for the next game
  • edited January 2014
    Richard Cawleys tweet is a game changer though isn't it. Thurams not coming in to replace either of the two Bens at least not initially but to train, have a look, gain experience. If he likes us and vice versa then perhaps he gets games. In any case I don't see him coming permanently. I would think his ambition is at present out of alignment with us.
  • What's wrong with the training at Standard Liege?? Bit of a weird one this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Some people on here crack me up, it was only 2-3 months ago that Hamer was supposedly rubbish, a liability, couldn't catch a cold etc etc, now we might be bringing a new keeper in and suddenly we're all outraged!
  • Not the training per se but looks like CP has said ok but I need to see him in training first, which only seems sensible. IF he then comes in it will be to play otherwise he may as well stay at Leige.
  • What's wrong with the training at Standard Liege?? Bit of a weird one this.

Agree with Large. Also doesn't RD actively encourage his players to move abroad and get both life and playing experience, learn other languages and experience different culture.

• Thought Alnwick was doing really well, prefer him to Hamer (marginally) on current form..

Hope this doesn't upset the better stability that we have right now in defence, if we keep enough clean sheets from now to end of season at home (starting on Saturday) we will be safe.
  • Wouldn't Thuram only be on a loan though? In which case i wouldn't want to sacrifice one of two good championship keepers for one unknown. I rate Hamer (though he can make a couple of odd decisions) and from what i have read of Alnwick he is doing well (as not seen enough of him tbh).

Certainly not an area we need to strengthen. If this goalie was the proven mutts dangly bits and potentially we could be losing one of Hamer of Alnwick then i could understand it. But i don't believe either Hamer or Alnwick want to go. Or is Hamers injury worse than we are being lead to believe in which case the club should possibly state that he is likely to not be fully fit until next season. Admittedly all speculation on my part.
  • Ashaddick said:

An article from a French source that apparently confirms it as well as stating his apparent strengths and weaknesses:

http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2014/yohann-thuram-ulien-agrees-loan-deal-with-charlton-athletic/

Do you think this could have been written by his agent ? Or even his mum ?
    We actually have a pretty decent defence as well, its our goalscoring which is our problem
  • edited January 2014

What's wrong with the training at Standard Liege?? Bit of a weird one this.

Agree with Large. Also doesn't RD actively encourage his players to move abroad and get both life and playing experience, learn other languages and experience different culture.

Does sound like RD is putting him the shop window for someone bigger than us then. Fair enough if it lines the pocket of our owner.
  • edited January 2014
    Madz said:

Wouldn't Thuram only be on a loan though? In which case i wouldn't want to sacrifice one of two good championship keepers for one unknown. I rate Hamer (though he can make a couple of odd decisions) and from what i have read of Alnwick he is doing well (as not seen enough of him tbh).

Certainly not an area we need to strengthen. If this goalie was the proven mutts dangly bits and potentially we could be losing one of Hamer of Alnwick then i could understand it. But i don't believe either Hamer or Alnwick want to go. Or is Hamers injury worse than we are being lead to believe in which case the club should possibly state that he is likely to not be fully fit until next season. Admittedly all speculation on my part.

But both Ben's are out of contract at the end of the season,so they could walk anyway.

Given their ages 26 Hamer and 27 Alnwick I suspect one of them would want to move on anyway as Button did last summer when an opportunity to become an undisputed number 1 emerged albiet in League One . It has to be said that given Brentford's form this season this has proved a good move for him.
  • Richard J said:

Madz said:

Wouldn't Thuram only be on a loan though? In which case i wouldn't want to sacrifice one of two good championship keepers for one unknown. I rate Hamer (though he can make a couple of odd decisions) and from what i have read of Alnwick he is doing well (as not seen enough of him tbh).

But both Ben's are out of contract at the end of the season,so they could walk anyway.

Given their ages 26 Hamer and 27 Alnwick I suspect one of them would want to move on anyway as Button did last summer when an opportunity to become an undisputed number 1 emerged albiet in League One . It has to be said that given Brentford's form this season this has proved a good move for him.
    I see your point and agree, in which case we end up losing 3 keepers at the end of the season rather than securing one of the good ones we already have. Although no-one is saying we aren't going to secure one of them.
  • Madz said:

Richard J said:

Madz said:

I see your point and agree, in which case we end up losing 3 keepers at the end of the season rather than securing one of the good ones we already have. Although no-one is saying we aren't going to secure one of them.
    You are right which is why I'd like to see Alnwick offered an extension , I wonder if he has an option on his contract because initially he did come in as Hamer's number 2 and would only have played a significant number of matches if he claimed the gloves.