Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

***The Takeover thread mk. 3.0 (IT"S NOT DONE - BUT YOU HAVE BEEN!!!)***

Comments

• Options

Off_it said:

All good. Well done.

Slater's statement is wrong In one important respect - they have wrecked the non-football staff and that will need to be addressed. Removing Prothero was the essential first step. Now they need to appoint a chief executive who isn't Steve Bradshaw to pick up the pieces.

Surely not so hard to fix. Getting Airman back on board would be a good start.
    Jesus, let's let the ink dry first before starting calls for the messiahs return!
    That's not happening, so let's not get distracted. My point is that the leadership of the non-football side is inadequate and that's why, for example, we have the pitch problem. Get the leadership right and everything else will fall into place - and that doesn't mean bringing any individual back, it means having someone on site in day-to-day single authority who knows what they are doing and holds those below him (her) to account.
    Unless I've missed something is this not likely to be Richard Murray for the foreseeable future, at least?
  • Options
    Does this mean a Pre Season Friend with Standard Liege?
  • Options

Off_it said:

All good. Well done.

Slater's statement is wrong In one important respect - they have wrecked the non-football staff and that will need to be addressed. Removing Prothero was the essential first step. Now they need to appoint a chief executive who isn't Steve Bradshaw to pick up the pieces.

Jesus, let's let the ink dry first before starting calls for the messiahs return!
    That's not happening, so let's not get distracted. My point is that the leadership of the non-football side is inadequate and that's why, for example, we have the pitch problem. Get the leadership right and everything else will fall into place - and that doesn't mean bringing any individual back, it means having someone on site in day-to-day single authority who knows what they are doing and holds those below him (her) to account.
    Unless I've missed something is this not likely to be Richard Murray for the foreseeable future, at least?
    Absolutely not. By definition, a non-executive Chairman will have no executive powers & will not be involved in the day to day management of a business.
  • Options
    We're calling him Dave,
    We're calling him Daaaaa-aaaaave,
    Reza Goo-channer-jad,
    We're calling him Dave!

(Just a suggestion should we sign Reza "Gucci" Ghoochannejhad at any point. Would love it.)
  • Options
    I wonder when the last time was that we got two yellow tickers in one day?
  • Options
    If someone has it to hand and to save the trouble of trawling through the previous takeover thread (RIP), could they please list the clubs RD is now owner of and where they are?
  • Options
    Stig said:

I wonder when the last time was that we got two yellow tickers in one day?

AND we've also been on the BBC website twice today... We'd better calmed down else we MIGHT be on Sports-day or the BBC Rumours page next
  • Options
    <
    Derek1952 said:

Does this mean a Pre Season Friend with Standard Liege?

I hope so, then on to Den Bosch
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So pleased. I'll be happy if we stay up to be honest
  • Options
    edited January 2014

One reason for Slater to stay on is that they still have to settle with Steve Kavanagh, to my knowledge.

Standard practice to stay on for a hand over period in most businesses. Cant understand why you use the forum as a soap box against your greviences. Getting a bit boring now.
    Slater doesn't do anything in the running of the day-to-day business, so he can't provide continuity and he can't handover anything. This is not a dig, it's a fact. His principal involvement has been a) to sell it on and b) pursue the various legal cases. One of which is outstanding.
  • Options
    Only just catching up on all the news as have a touch of "woman 'flu" and no voice following the endearments I was continually shouting in Mr Attwell's direction on Weds night....At least I have 5 days to regain my place on the bench.

May have jumped the gun but welcomed RD on board on here last night so job done.

Of course we're all eager to see the contract issue sorted ASAP , with the gaffer's situation clarified immediately. And the addition of at least a couple of players to strengthen our threadbare squad is essential.

But with the increasingly weird & wild weather we're experiencing of late, would the purchase of some kind of protection for the pitch not be the first item on the agenda of the new regime? I commented on the slick passing football that Ipswich were able to demonstrate the other evening and how this has been virtually impossible for our lads at The Valley of late. I noticed that we did manage to adapt to the Portman Rd pitch fairly quickly although we were obviously at a disadvantage. I wonder whether Paddy is knocking on RD's door, cap in hand as we speak.....

Onwards & upwards with more certainty than ever !!

• Options

Off_it said:

All good. Well done.

Absolutely not. By definition, a non-executive Chairman will have no executive powers & will not be involved in the day to day management of a business.
    That doesn't quite fit in with Murray's quote about offering his expertise about British football, but I take your point. I just find it hard to believe that Slater would be left to run the club until they make an appointment if Murray, who has done it before, is being retained.

I read non-executive as not being in charge but still being expected to run things for a while. I'm not sure that traditional job titles apply in football clubs - as no business principles seem to, but non-executive is often used to refer to those that have no 'power' which probably needs to be made clear bearing in mind his shareholding has gone.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    At least Roland does seem to have some sort of footballing pedigree as opposed to the last lot, who after a good but lucky start,mainly down to Powell, never really got to grips with the whole concept.
    I doubt you'll see Slater popping up on the football scene anytime soon other than throwing rocks at the Juventus ultras with his city scarf wrapped around his swede.
  • Options

Slater - "We believe we have found an investor with extensive knowledge of football who is well placed to stabilize the club in the Championship and help the club to develop on a sensible commercial basis."

Think people need to keep their feet on the ground. Still good news though.

Doesn't put any pressure on Powell and stabilising in this league has to be the immediate aim. Agree with him there.
  • Options

Off_it said:

All good. Well done.

No, wouldn't be Murray in any event.
  • Options
    Cash was worth £80m more than 2 sheds.
  • Options

Cash was worth £80m more than 2 sheds.

And we didn't see any of it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just reported on R5L and it's on the BBC sport website lets just hope we can sort the pitch out, get contracts sorted and bring in a 3/4 players to strengthen the squad (loans if necessary) to guarentee championship football next season. Pleased that RM will still be involved too...onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    So move to the Peninsula or else, Roland, and don't forget Cllr Roberts' comp tickets...
  • Options
    From Reuters:

LONDON, Jan 3 (Reuters) - Businessman Roland Duchatelet, one of the richest men in Belgium, became the new owner of Championship club Charlton Athletic on Friday.
    The 67-year-old's company, Staprix NV, will acquire 100 percent of the shares of outgoing owner Tony Jimenez who confirmed the takeover in a media statement.
    "We are pleased to confirm that Roland Duchatelet is the new owner of the club.
    "The sale was formally completed today .. nearly three years to the day since we took control of CAFC (Charlton Athletic Football Club). The time has come for us to step aside."
    Charlton, based in south-east London, have had two spells in the Premier League, the last which ended in 2007. They are currently 19th in the 24-team second tier, three places and three points above the relegation zone.
    Duchatelet is involved in politics in Belgium and is also the owner of Standard Liege. No sale figure was released to the media.
  • Options
    Roland Duchatelet
    Delude at Charlton

Not an omen I hope.
  • Options
    Christ in heaven but that article is pony. Now I'm no media expert but I thought journo's at least had some training rather than the ability to trawl various other websites and cut and paste "quotes".
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    And please can you keep my seat in the directors box for me . . .
  • Options
    Staprix NV on the new kit....where's the fella who does the mock-ups??
  • Options

Bet that Angeldust fella is keeping a low profile today

He said Roland might want to sell the club earlier than you think to Pv. My guessing is PV didn't want to give slater and jiminez a penny.

Anyway, for now let's get behind the club and being positive on and off the pitch.
    How would this stand with the FA if it was too happen? Can a club be sold, then sold on again straight away? We they have to do the fit and proper person tests etc for someone who has already been part of the club etc??
  • Options
    Roland make Roberts pay for his tickets.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    seth plum said:

Roland make Roberts pay for his tickets.

He doesn't declare them as hospitality, so maybe he does.