Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

***The Takeover thread mk. 3.0 (IT"S NOT DONE - BUT YOU HAVE BEEN!!!)***

Comments

• Options

Roland Duchatelet
    Delude at Charlton

Not an omen I hope.

For the time being he's "Le Dude at Charlton".

Regardless of negative points about the new owner published previously, I'm very happy about this.

Can't see M. Duchatelet running the club day-to-day so it'll be interesting who comes in as a CEO type figure. I just hope it's not the Belgian equivalent of Shebby Singh.
  • Options
    Callumharriott ‏@Cally_messi 5m
    Any of my mates wanna hit shops ?
    Expand Reply Retweet Favourite More

Callum's definitely excited about the takeover....he's hitting Westfield in Stratford in a big way
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Staprix NV on the new kit....where's the fella who does the mock-ups??

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Just caught the very end of an interview on Talksport with a Belgium football expert and he didn't speak very highly of our new owner. Did anyone else catch it ?
  • Options
    While the majority of fans have welcomed the takeover and new owner for CAFC it's perhaps a sign of the low regard the JH/MS/KC regime that the response has been so positive.

While "actions will speak louder than words" I do have some reservations about the new ownership. Time will tell how good an owner Roland will be but let's not be too optimistic yet ...

From what has been written here and from other sources on the web it seems clear to me that our new owner is not "a football man" but simply an invested looking to make a "turn" on his investment (muck like the previous owners). He is unlikely to have the long-term interest of the club as his priority - rather how he can monetise his investments in football. You can argue he sees football clubs in general (not just Charlton but his host of clubs in his stable) as assets that he can extract greater value from than they currently return - otherwise why invest millions of euros in these ventures? He can't play the card that as a kid he used to follow the Addicks with his old man standing on the east terrace and now after a successful business career wants to put something back!

As one example just look at the first club in Belgium he owned: it has been widely reported that while nominally having relinquished control he still pulls the strings and his girlfriend now owns the ground and the club pays her a reported annual rent of several hundred thousand euros. I hope this is wrong but as I understand it they have gone from a club with no debt and owning their own ground to one with debts, a proxy ownership and paying an inflated rent to play on their own pitch.

From what I can see or read he's not universally loved by Standard liege fans either.

I hope it doesn't happen but a similar scenario could play out at the Valley. Roland sells the ground to another company he owns and charges the club an annual rent to play there - while CAFC still pick up all the costs of running the facility. This way he can extract a seven figure from the club .... And I am sure there are other clever financial engineering that could be deployed. Cleverer people than me I'm sure will have a hat full of ideas on what could be done.

Of course the best hope is that the footballing interest of the club will be aligned with a best financial return for our new owner: invest substantially in the football side, boost revenues by getting promoted and join the Premier league gravy train ..... But does he have the financial resources to really mAke that happen?

The first big test will be the transfer window. Does he give SCP the resources he wants? Or does he palm off on the club the payers he wants (rather than what SCP needs?). Signs are not promising but I do appreciate this is very early days.

Anyway let's all hope that this scenario is not played out and that I am just being a Jonna but I am still to be convinced this is a fairly tale ending we all want to see. It may be just more of the same ... Let's hope I am wrong!

• Options
    ^^well that's just pissed on everyone's parade
  • Options

Just caught the very end of an interview on Talksport with a Belgium football expert and he didn't speak very highly of our new owner. Did anyone else catch it ?

Caught some of it. He said that RD liked to get involved in team affairs !!!

• Options
    Will our AVC not prevent this happening?
  • Options
    I posted this the after the FA cup draw On the Excuses Not to go Thread.

Dansk_Red Member
    December 2013
    I am going so I can welcome the new owners !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Flag Quote
    Redrobo Member
    December 2013

Dansk_Red said:

I am going so I can welcome the new owners !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New owners - have I missed something?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Disappointing - out of the frying pan into the fire, methinks.

Glad to be rid of those heading out of the exit door, but if you look at his previous actions in football it looks like we now have an owner with Vincent Tan tendencies, but none of his cash.

A good move in the short term, perhaps - but unless he gets some serious backers in, then I can't see us heading for the promised land any time soon.
  • Options
    http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=1858497.html

The 32 clubs featuring in the 2012/13 UEFA Champions League group stage can anticipate a minimum €8.6m – and the team that goes on to win the trophy next spring could collect €37.4m, not counting the market pool share.

While you only receive somewhere in the region of €5-8 million for winning the Belgium pro league.

This obviously isn't going to happen, but if RD is purely in it for profits why not just send all of leige's best players on loan to Charlton for next season. That should see us promoted and Douchalet can pocket all of the Sky money, which is far in excess of anything he could make from the Pro League.

• Options
    How are the early signs not promising FFS. The ink isn't dry yet - we have a loan player in with the expectation of more to come. Let's see some negative occurances before we get all doom and gloom!
  • Options
    edited January 2014

How are the early signs not promising FFS. The ink isn't dry yet - we have a loan player in with the expectation of more to come. Let's see some negative occurances before we get all doom and gloom!

Don't be daft this is Charlton Life!
  • Options
    Not sure why were being compared to Liege by everybody,
    Completley different scenairo and clubs. He's being judged by his actions for Charlton not what he did at Liege.
  • Options

While the majority of fans have welcomed the takeover and new owner for CAFC it's perhaps a sign of the low regard the JH/MS/KC regime that the response has been so positive.

While "actions will speak louder than words" I do have some reservations about the new ownership. Time will tell how good an owner Roland will be but let's not be too optimistic yet ...

From what has been written here and from other sources on the web it seems clear to me that our new owner is not "a football man" but simply an invested looking to make a "turn" on his investment (muck like the previous owners). He is unlikely to have the long-term interest of the club as his priority - rather how he can monetise his investments in football. You can argue he sees football clubs in general (not just Charlton but his host of clubs in his stable) as assets that he can extract greater value from than they currently return - otherwise why invest millions of euros in these ventures? He can't play the card that as a kid he used to follow the Addicks with his old man standing on the east terrace and now after a successful business career wants to put something back!

As one example just look at the first club in Belgium he owned: it has been widely reported that while nominally having relinquished control he still pulls the strings and his girlfriend now owns the ground and the club pays her a reported annual rent of several hundred thousand euros. I hope this is wrong but as I understand it they have gone from a club with no debt and owning their own ground to one with debts, a proxy ownership and paying an inflated rent to play on their own pitch.

From what I can see or read he's not universally loved by Standard liege fans either.

I hope it doesn't happen but a similar scenario could play out at the Valley. Roland sells the ground to another company he owns and charges the club an annual rent to play there - while CAFC still pick up all the costs of running the facility. This way he can extract a seven figure from the club .... And I am sure there are other clever financial engineering that could be deployed. Cleverer people than me I'm sure will have a hat full of ideas on what could be done.

Of course the best hope is that the footballing interest of the club will be aligned with a best financial return for our new owner: invest substantially in the football side, boost revenues by getting promoted and join the Premier league gravy train ..... But does he have the financial resources to really mAke that happen?

The first big test will be the transfer window. Does he give SCP the resources he wants? Or does he palm off on the club the payers he wants (rather than what SCP needs?). Signs are not promising but I do appreciate this is very early days.

Anyway let's all hope that this scenario is not played out and that I am just being a Jonna but I am still to be convinced this is a fairly tale ending we all want to see. It may be just more of the same ... Let's hope I am wrong!

Best post so far.

The Belgian owns five clubs that he wants to run on a commercial basis. That means profit which we all know is not possible in English football if you want on the field success too. When losses come he wont be able to fund them himself, as he has five clubs to run, so other than selling assets (players and fixed assets), where will the bail out come from?

Could be exciting times ahead or could be the greatest battle yet for the Valley and the club.

• Options
    Congratulations to Charlton Athletic and to you, the fans. Potential buyers have come and gone but we have been very pleased to see things finally progress to the completion stage.
    We will have more details and interviews in Tuesday's South London Press - in the meantime, enjoy a weekend off! Hope none of you bumped into the furniture when you were running around the kitchen celebrating....
  • Options
    Not sure what ink is used by a lot of CL posters but it seems whatever brand it takes much longer to dry than mine does.
  • Options
    kentred2 said:

Best post so far.

The Belgian owns five clubs that he wants to run on a commercial basis. That means profit which we all know is not possible in English football if you want on the field success too. When losses come he wont be able to fund them himself, as he has five clubs to run, so other than selling assets (players and fixed assets), where will the bail out come from?

Could be exciting times ahead or could be the greatest battle yet for the Valley and the club.

Success actually can bring profit - If Fulham can be sold for £300m, so can Charlton. I assume that is his aim, but if it is - what is wrong with that from our perspective!!!!
  • Options

From Reuters:

LONDON, Jan 3 (Reuters) - Businessman Roland Duchatelet, one of the richest men in Belgium, became the new owner of Championship club Charlton Athletic on Friday.
    The 67-year-old's company, Staprix NV, will acquire 100 percent of the shares of outgoing owner Tony Jimenez who confirmed the takeover in a media statement."We are pleased to confirm that Roland Duchatelet is the new owner of the club.
    "The sale was formally completed today .. nearly three years to the day since we took control of CAFC (Charlton Athletic Football Club). The time has come for us to step aside."
    Charlton, based in south-east London, have had two spells in the Premier League, the last which ended in 2007. They are currently 19th in the 24-team second tier, three places and three points above the relegation zone.
    Duchatelet is involved in politics in Belgium and is also the owner of Standard Liege. No sale figure was released to the media.

So has RD bought 100% of the club or just Jimenez's shares ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A loan player in ? Who ? where ? Sorry I blinked !
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    making sure they still get their freebies
  • Options

See loan player thread with photographic evidence
  • Options

See loan player thread with photographic evidence
    Thanks Muttley just seen it

• Options
    Match
  • Options
    well, at least we now know who owns us, rather than having MS doing KC's dirty work for him.

I also think its a good thing that he is already involved with football clubs - unlike KC - and that we may be able to benefit from player exchanges.
  • Options
    worrying times
  • Options

All good. Well done.

Slater's statement is wrong In one important respect - they have wrecked the non-football staff and that will need to be addressed. Removing Prothero was the essential first step. Now they need to appoint a chief executive who isn't Steve Bradshaw to pick up the pieces.

Surely not so hard to fix. Getting Airman back on board would be a good start.
    And that bloke who was really good at the catering.
  • Options
    JT said:

worrying times

Indeed. I'm worried. Big time worried.