Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best Christmas Movie

Comments

• Options
    The Guns of Navarone
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

Surprised none of the females have gone for 'Love Actually'

Good shout actually. Soppy as hell but a good Xmas film
  • Options
    Love Actually is a cracking film and British too.

As for Keira.
  • Options
    The Ice Harvest is worth seeing if your taste in Christmas films tends towards Bad Santa.

Is Elf suitable for kids?
  • Options
    It's a Wonderful Life
    Wizard of Oz
    The Great Escape

It doesn't matter what time of year you show it, it will always be Shite Actually.
  • Options
    Muppet Christmas carol by a country mile
  • Options
    I like a lot of the films mentioned above, and just the mention of them, and the possibility of watching any of them on tv over Christmas time gets me all misty eyed, but for me , Elf , home Alone , Deck The Halls ( I think it's called that?) and Christmas with the Kranks, get my bells a tingling.
  • Options
    In fact chuck in a Viennese whirl or two, and a glass of Baileys with ice and I'm well away.
  • Options

Die hard by a long way

I haven't seen that one - did it come after "Die Hard with a vengeance"?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Riviera said:

Everyone who says It's a Wonderful Life also says that Fairytale of New York is the best Christmas song and Teenage Kicks is the best single ever.

And also have Stephen Fry as their number one Dinner Party guest...... Ba ba ba!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

The Great Escape

This.

and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

• Options
    Despite Riviera...It's a Wonderful Life!

Also...Miracle on 34th Street, Elf and...Eyes Wide Shut (just for Nicole Kidman in that vest)!!
  • Options
    Muppet Christmas Carol still makes me laugh, cry and scared every time despite having seen it far more than perhaps I should admit to.
  • Options
    Its a wonderful fairytale of kicks.
  • Options
    Elf, The Santa Clause, Prancer, the original black & white Miracle on 34th Street, Its a Wonderful Life.
  • Options
    The nightmare before Christmas, or the snowman
  • Options

Riviera said:

Everyone who says It's a Wonderful Life also says that Fairytale of New York is the best Christmas song and Teenage Kicks is the best single ever.

And why do they say that? Because they've been brainwashed into doing so by the media.

Utter nonsense as usual . Why do you think your opinion is always right and everyone else's is wrong ?

Brainwashed by the media ??? About it's A Wonderful Life ??? Please explain

I first saw that film when I was 6 years old , long before I ever read a newspaper but thanks for telling me and many others we are wrong .

You should watch it , it might just make you a better person ...
    Without wanting to sound rude, I actually think there might be something in you statement about you watching it when you was 6 that might explain you liking it. I didn't see it at such an early age, I was in my forties when I saw it first and was left totally cold by it. Seeing it for the first time as an adult I had so many, "Yeah, but what if..?" questions that it just didn't hold together. I can imagine if I'd seen it for the first time when I was younger, I might have been less cynical and would unreservedly accepted all the positive life affirming messages that certain friends of mine absolutely love.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Riviera said:

And why do they say that? Because they've been brainwashed into doing so by the media.

Utter nonsense as usual . Why do you think your opinion is always right and everyone else's is wrong ?

I first saw that film when I was 6 years old , long before I ever read a newspaper but thanks for telling me and many others we are wrong .

Without wanting to sound rude, I actually think there might be something in you statement about you watching it when you was 6 that might explain you liking it. I didn't see it at such an early age, I was in my forties when I saw it first and was left totally cold by it. Seeing it for the first time as an adult I had so many, "Yeah, but what if..?" questions that it just didn't hold together. I can imagine if I'd seen it for the first time when I was younger, I might have been less cynical and would unreservedly accepted all the positive life affirming messages that certain friends of mine absolutely love.
    Dear old Beds is only 15 now....
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Stig said:

Riviera said:

Are you not overdue a new reincarnation Chirpy. I'm getting bored of this one. We should start calling you Dr Who.
  • Options
    But seriously I think a few people are confusing Christmas films with films generally shown on telly at Christmas; Wizard of Oz and The Great Escape essentially have nothing to do with Christmas.
    My favourite film usually shown at Christmas is Oliver! Nothing really to do with Christmas except it's a Dickens story and a lot of his work is synonymous with Christmas and there is a bit of snow when Mr Bumble tries to sell Oliver.
    My two favourite Christmas films are White Christmas and Love Actually.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    'A Muppet Christmas Carol' by a country mile.
  • Options
    Another vote for A Muppet Christmas Carol! Fantastic movie and I love every second.
  • Options
    No question its Elf
  • Options
    Lust for a vampire.
  • Options
    http://m.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/love-actually-sucks-actually-20131210-2z38u.html

Amusing piece on Love Actually.

It is a bit sickly sweet I suppose, but if I'm going to watch a rom-com, I may as well get the full calories.
  • Options
    The Nightmare Before Christmas. Until Jack sings "What's this?", it ain't Christmas.
  • Options

The Nightmare Before Christmas. Until Jack sings "What's this?", it ain't Christmas.

Like all Tim Burton films; brilliant visuals marred by the music.
  • Options
    As abuse is probably one step too far, perhaps we ought to have a "Dislike" button especially for Riviera!
  • Options
    Stig said:

Like all Tim Burton films; brilliant visuals marred by the music.
    You MUST be kidding. Danny Elfman is a genius - "What's This?", the "Sally and Jack" theme and "Kidnap the Sandy Claws" are the three best songs ever written for a musical!
  • Options

Riviera said:

Stig said:

Riviera said:

Are you not overdue a new reincarnation Chirpy. I'm getting bored of this one. We should start calling you Dr Who.
    I thought we were mates now? If I put a ;-) on my message it means it's a joke.