Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes: Australia v England, 2013-14.

Comments

• Options
    Stuart Broad can hold his head up and I'm cautiously optimistic that Stokes may prove to be the "real deal."

Carberry battled but possibly is just short of being a genuine test cricketer. Root looked up for it even though the figures didn't always reflect it.

The rest under performed woefully.
  • Options
    I don't know why Carberry left it until his 10th innings to play like he does in county cricket? Surely he was picked to play on his county game? Why he chose to bat like he did for the rest of the series is beyond me.
  • Options
    How did Rankin get picked in front of Finn ?
  • Options
    Apparently we became the first side in Ashes history to lose all 100 wickets
  • Options
    How did Rankin get picked in front of me?!!
  • Options
    Big mistake to have taken the three big blokes in front of Onions, I am still astounded by that decision. I don't think Rankin will play for England again, nor Tremlett. Time to groom some new fast bowlers. Tymal Mills, Jamie Overton, Chris Jordan, Topley all have a chance of making it. But firstly it is time for Flowers to be relieved of his post as head coach and Cook to be relieved of the captaincy.
  • Options
    Broad next captain?
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Big mistake to have taken the three big blokes in front of Onions, I am still astounded by that decision. I don't think Rankin will play for England again, nor Tremlett. Time to groom some new fast bowlers. Tymal Mills, Jamie Overton, Chris Jordan, Topley all have a chance of making it. But firstly it is time for Flowers to be relieved of his post as head coach and Cook to be relieved of the captaincy.

Chris Jordan is a very good shout. No mug with the bat either.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Flower wants to continue as England coach.
  • Options
    Listening to Flower and Cook they both seem in a deep state of denial about what has taken place, I think they are completely unable to see outside the Team England bubble.

Would love to see someone like Nasser Hussain come in as coach and really shake things up, imagine Nasser Vs KP!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Listening to Flower and Cook they both seem in a deep state of denial about what has taken place, I think they are completely unable to see outside the Team England bubble.

Would love to see someone like Nasser Hussain come in as coach and really shake things up, imagine Nasser Vs KP!

That has disaster written all over it. I love Nasser, but he's no more an England manager/head coach/director of team/whatever it's called these days than you or I. In fact, he'd probably be worse at it than you or I would. He hasn't got a diplomatic cell in his entire body. If you're going to go down the ex player route, then I'd suggest Stewart. Leads by example, well liked and well respected.
  • Options

That has disaster written all over it. I love Nasser, but he's no more an England manager/head coach/director of team/whatever it's called these days than you or I. In fact, he'd probably be worse at it than you or I would. He hasn't got a diplomatic cell in his entire body. If you're going to go down the ex player route, then I'd suggest Stewart. Leads by example, well liked and well respected.
    You're probably right, he wouldn't pull any punches that's for sure.

Perhaps he'd be too intense anyway, we may actually need someone who can make the players relax and enjoy their cricket again.
  • Options
    Australia were transformed, not by changing the players, but rather by changing the coach and team atmosphere. You wonder if keeping Flower and changing the players is the answer?
  • Options
    Alec "cliche" Stewart! Oh please no!
    So what would he do? Insist the players went back to wearing blazers and ties? He didn't have much effect with Surrey last season did he?
    Nasser spent years fixing the mess left behind by Stewart and his old man. To go back down the RSM route would be a mistake and a backward step. Stewart does not have respect within the game that you may think don't be fooled by his whiter than white image. Michael Vaughn was very fortunate to have succeeded Nass.
    Darren Lehman's lack of diplomacy has hardly hindered him or Aussie cricket has it.
    Nasser is the best man as I said on here pages ago but why would he leave his comfort zone? He has the best job in the world.
    I don't think we should give up on Cook necessarily, Nasser could really help him tactically.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Alec "cliche" Stewart! Oh please no!
    So what would he do? Insist the players went back to wearing blazers and ties? He didn't have much effect with Surrey last season did he?
    Nasser spent years fixing the mess left behind by Stewart and his old man. To go back down the RSM route would be a mistake and a backward step. Stewart does not have respect within the game that you may think don't be fooled by his whiter than white image. Michael Vaughn was very fortunate to have succeeded Nass.
    Darren Lehman's lack of diplomacy has hardly hindered him or Aussie cricket has it.
    Nasser is the best man as I said on here pages ago but why would he leave his comfort zone? He has the best job in the world.
    I don't think we should give up on Cook necessarily, Nasser could really help him tactically.

Agree about Stewart, his highly regimented approach is very similar to Flower and that's probably not what we need.

Stewart was a very structured captain too, very similar to Cook in that regard.

Would love to see a role for Nasser in some way, a real waste to have all that knowledge sitting in the Sky box.
  • Options
    Flower has to go and Cook should do the decent thing and step down as skipper.

Both have been found severely wanting.

Add to the Alec Stewart - Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo list. Would be everything we don't need.
  • Options
    Nasser likes his pennies too much,he will be getting a kings ransom at Sky.Chuck that to get in to a high pressure job that could all quite easily end in tears in a few short years? Im not holding my breath!!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    richie8 said:

Nasser likes his pennies too much,he will be getting a kings ransom at Sky.Chuck that to get in to a high pressure job that could all quite easily end in tears in a few short years? Im not holding my breath!!

That is all true but let's be honest here, Hussain could take the easy route and stick with Sky doing a job which is cushy but essentially meaningless or he could step up and play a real role in shaping the next England team and leave a real legacy.

It's not like the touring would be a problem since he goes on them anyway already!

As Steve Jobs said to the Pepsi CEO when head hunting him for Apple, "Do you want to sell sugared water for the rest of your life or do you want to come change the world?"

Mind you, that ended badly for both of them.
  • Options
    The ECB are not short of a few quid.
  • Options
    And it hardly shuts the door fo Nasser at Sky does it? If anything he comes back with another dimension to the insight he offers.

Bumble has been a player, an umpire, a coach and an expert on Punk music but all that never stopped him being one of the best commentators. And he was as forthright as a coach (if not more) as he is a commentator.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd ask Beefy if he was willing to take over as manager or even as an adviser. The man talks complete sense and would have the respect of the players. It would never happen though.
  • Options

And it hardly shuts the door fo Nasser at Sky does it? If anything he comes back with another dimension to the insight he offers.

Bumble has been a player, an umpire, a coach and an expert on Punk music but all that never stopped him being one of the best commentators. And he was as forthright as a coach (if not more) as he is a commentator.

Indeed, he very, very nearly called Murli a chucked.
  • Options
    Give Boycott one series, whtegver the outcome it would be hilarious ride
  • Options

I'd ask Beefy if he was willing to take over as manager or even as an adviser. The man talks complete sense and would have the respect of the players. It would never happen though.

Love Beefy to bits - was my sporting hero growing up and would have put up more of a fight than most of them if he was still out there but he would be the worst coach imaginable.

And he predicted 5-0 to us which suggests he was as arrogrant and complacent in his analysis of the two sides as Flower et al.

• Options
    Reports emerging that Flower won't continue as coach unless Peiterson is axed.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Riviera said:

Reports emerging that Flower won't continue as coach unless Peiterson is axed.

Well if that's the case then Flower can bugger off. Regardless of the way Peiterson gives his wicket away to easily , he's still the most naturally gifted player in the side and it's far too early for him to go.
    Listening to flower's interviews after the whitewash , he is in denial. He has turned England into the dullest cricket team in the world even though our record was good before the Australian tour.
    Time for new blood. Bring in new coaching staff (including Paul Collingwood ) and start playing some attractive , positive cricket.

• Options
    Oh Beds how can you use the words attractive positive cricket and
    Paul Collingwood in the same sentence? Regardless of the brackets!
    Anyway he's contracted to Scotland. Colly was an effective ODI player and had one good season in T20 but not a Test player. Flower is only in charge of Tests. I'd quite happily have Colly replace Ashley Giles as the one day coach though.
    Peiterson is not a naturally gifted cricketer. He is an unorthodox freak with a good eye and no brain. Despite his stats he will never be considered a great as he has been far too inconsistent. Both Kim Hughes and Greg Chappell said the same, some great innings for sure but not a great player.
    He has to go, he is so obviously still a disruptive influence. Why do you think he spent all winter at fine leg and mid off?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Riviera said:

Oh Beds how can you use the words attractive positive cricket and
    Paul Collingwood in the same sentence? Regardless of the brackets!
    Anyway he's contracted to Scotland. Colly was an effective ODI player and had one good season in T20 but not a Test player. Flower is only in charge of Tests. I'd quite happily have Colly replace Ashley Giles as the one day coach though.
    Peiterson is not a naturally gifted cricketer. He is an unorthodox freak with a good eye and no brain. Despite his stats he will never be considered a great as he has been far too inconsistent. Both Kim Hughes and Greg Chappell said the same, some great innings for sure but not a great player.
    He has to go, he is so obviously still a disruptive influence. Why do you think he spent all winter at fine leg and mid off?

So given the choice you would keep Flower and retire Pieterson ?

Good luck to the ECB with selling tickets for next summer if that is the case .
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I'm hearing the ECB will issue a statement soon on the Flower/Pieterson situation. Now if they are to show some consistency they must relieve Flower of his duties if he has given a me or him ultimatum. Pieterson did it with Peter Moores in 2009 and got sacked as captain.
    We shall see. Nice intro for Paul Downton as the new MD of English cricket.
  • Options
    I'd have got rid of Pieterson years ago, I've been calling for him to go for years, it's all on here, maybe under different names though!
    However I reckon Flower should go too.