Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes: Australia v England, 2013-14.

Comments

• Options

Those uninspiring wolf blass advert things are doing my head in. How did Strauss and Vaughan inspire the team? Can't wait for next ashes series for Cook sound bites!

I can't wait for his explanation with regards to his dismissal. Leading from the front and all that.

• Options
    I'd be spitting teeth if this was a Kent side in a 20/20

I knew pissing around in the last test in the summer would cost us mentally and fire them up. We should have ground them into the dirt and sent them home packing. They adopted a siege mentality and Clarke showed himself to be very strong up top.
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

Riv....i think it might be time to start an RIP english cricket thread

I'll leave it to Benjamin.

So glad he keeps off the cricket threads.... :-)
  • Options
    Clarke is a brilliant captain
  • Options

Don't worry, the New Zealander and Zimbabwean will save us.

At least Ballance looks balanced and Stokes looks solid ;-)

Rattling along now. 25-5 off 20 overs.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Carter said:

Hells teeth. Second bloody ball

This is going to be painful

Tell you one thing though (totally unrelated to cooks dismissal) that I said a couple of years ago and still stands. Mitchell Johnson is a chucker and if he wasn't an Australian he would be looked into.

Then why mention Cooks dismissal?
    Because he had just been dismissed. And to give you the chance to kick off
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

He did not get many plaudits when losing 4-0 in India and 3-0 in the Ashes or when losing a home Test to New Zealand!

Bottom line is that if you took Johnson and Harris out of the side and replaced them with Starc and Pattinson then the series would have been different.

Johnson and Harris are making Clarke look much better than he was a year ago, they are bowling brilliantly.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

mrbligh said:

He did not get many plaudits when losing 4-0 in India and 3-0 in the Ashes or when losing a home Test to New Zealand!

Bottom line is that if you took Johnson and Harris out of the side and replaced them with Starc and Pattinson then the series would have been different.

Johnson and Harris are making Clarke look much better than he was a year ago, they are bowling brilliantly.
    It helps us not bowling nor batting very well. Neither side are great but one has shown a lot of mental toughness and the other has minced
  • Options
    Fair point,

Should have said Clarke has captained brilliantly this series.

He knew he'd won before a ball had been bowled and it's rubbed off on his players
  • Options
    In many respects getting thrashed in this Test will do us more good than a win. Can you imagine the claims "that this gives us something to build on etc etc" had we won this non event?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seems to me like bad preparation for this tour. Stale, took things for granted and didn't work hard enough.
  • Options

In many respects getting thrashed in this Test will do us more good than a win. Can you imagine the claims "that this gives us something to build on etc etc" had we won this non event?

Indeed AA, one of those rare occasions I agree with you. A win here would just have been a case of kicking the can down the road. We won't get all the changes we need but hopefully a few things will be addressed.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Indeed AA, one of those rare occasions I agree with you. A win here would just have been a case of kicking the can down the road. We won't get all the changes we need but hopefully a few things will be addressed.
    I wouldn't say I'm unique in that respect. You rarely agree with anyone!
  • Options
    Carter said:

Riviera said:

Carter said:

Tell you one thing though (totally unrelated to cooks dismissal) that I said a couple of years ago and still stands. Mitchell Johnson is a chucker and if he wasn't an Australian he would be looked into.

Still don't understand.

Anyway, that aside, I don't think Johnson has ever thrown a ball in his life. Really cannot see any comparison to Malinga meaning anything.
  • Options
    Looks like Stokes could be gone.
  • Options

Riviera said:

I agree with everyone who is right.
    I always agree with myself.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Well until we have a 3D Third umpire those will never be given.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I've got to disagree there.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

I agree with everyone who is right.
    I always agree with myself.
    That must be very difficult for yourself - what with all those "alter egos".

• Options
    Anyone know what the lowest number of runs in a full session is?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

Carter said:

Riviera said:

Carter said:

Still don't understand.

Anyway, that aside, I don't think Johnson has ever thrown a ball in his life. Really cannot see any comparison to Malinga meaning anything.
    It's the straight arm/slinging comparison, one was blighted with it because he is Sri Lankan the other is not because he is Australian. I can do nothing else for your lack of understanding.

• Options

Anyone know what the lowest number of runs in a full session is?

Not off hand but wouldn't be surprised if there was a Wilson in there.....

• Options
    Stokes and Ballance reach double figures. Praise the lord!!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    How is Johnson a chucker? Perfectly legal action. There's less elbow flex in his delivery than there is in almost every orthodox modern day quick. Just because it looks wrong, doesn't mean it's illegal. Chirpy talks a lot of bollocks, but he's got that one right Carts.
  • Options
    I was at a cricket function here in Brissie a couple of years ago and a very well known Aussie Test batsman said that the worst chucker he faced was Courtney Walsh.

He said that Walsh bowled legitimately most of the time but that he had an "effort" bouncer that he used to hit batsmen with and the Aussies were convinced he chucked this delivery.

I have heard this from other people too but am not sure myself, I certainly would not like to be the bloke telling Courtney he was a chucker!
  • Options
    There is a lot of shit spoken about cricket, and most of it in Australia.
  • Options

How is Johnson a chucker?

He's not.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

There is a lot of shit cricket played, and most of it by England.

Corrected for you ;-)

• Options
    edited January 2014

Chirpy talks a lot of bollocks.

Yes, but not where cricket is concerned. It's the only thing in life that I take seriously.
  • Options

Riviera said:

There is a lot of shit cricket played, and most of it by England.

Corrected for you ;-)

Ah! Morning Large! Got a nice fat JD on the go I hope?