Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes: Australia v England, 2013-14.

Comments

• Options
    Monty is no longer worth his place as a Test bowler. If you haven't got a front line spinner then don't pick one.
  • Options

As Riviera has indicated (and it is on the Kent thread) my youngest son is a leg spinner. He is 10 and currently in the Kent U11 squad. However, he is a bit of an enigma insofar as he does not have a traditional "cocked wrist" action and actually "flicks" the ball out of the back of his hand using his fingers. And he turns it square which makes it all the more bizarre.

Min Patel is his coach but he has never sought to coach young AA as to how to spin the ball because, as far as he's concerned, he is turning it doing it his own way. What he has done, however, is over the course of the last year, changed his action from one where he was throwing his head to one side to propel the ball down the other end to one where he is now more up and over - so much so that he almost has an "off spinners" action but actually "finger spins" out of the back of the hand. He has more control as a result of the change in action and doesn't bowl so many "hand grenades" as he used to.

The problem my son will face is that, at the moment, the boys that he is at the moment in a false sense of security - the boys that face him (and this is admittedly not yet at County but up to District level) are like "rabbits in head lights" simply because they are frightened to use their feet against him and do tend to hit against the spin. Where that will change is when those boys have the courage to come down the track and hit him on the "full" but I am hoping that by that time he will have enough variations to counter that. And that his "unusual" method of spinning the ball will give him that much more control than a traditional leg spinner might have.

Time will tell but it's a discipline that is more "risk/reward" than any other method of bowling and very very few (and no English players in recent times) actually master. Fortunately for young AA he can bat too ;-)

Good luck to your son, he has a tough road ahead as a leggie but a potentially rewarding one as it really is the path less travelled.

As you said earlier it is so bloody tough for spinners in England because the conditions are is much more conducive to swing and seam bowlers - but all he can do is keep at it and most importantly to enjoy it.

My own son is only eight and has already been asked to train with the Regional U-11 representative side here in Brisbane - although he is a seam bowler - and although it's great to see him do well and knock over kids much older than him I just want him to enjoy it more than anything else.
  • Options

On a non turning pitch, Tredwell may have done a better bet with the ball than Borthwick, keeping it tight at least.

I'd love to think that but unfortunately Tredders would be targeted in exactly the same way he was in the ODIs by the Aussies. And there is very little that they don't know about him.

• Options

As Riviera has indicated (and it is on the Kent thread) my youngest son is a leg spinner. He is 10 and currently in the Kent U11 squad. However, he is a bit of an enigma insofar as he does not have a traditional "cocked wrist" action and actually "flicks" the ball out of the back of his hand using his fingers. And he turns it square which makes it all the more bizarre.

Min Patel is his coach but he has never sought to coach young AA as to how to spin the ball because, as far as he's concerned, he is turning it doing it his own way. What he has done, however, is over the course of the last year, changed his action from one where he was throwing his head to one side to propel the ball down the other end to one where he is now more up and over - so much so that he almost has an "off spinners" action but actually "finger spins" out of the back of the hand. He has more control as a result of the change in action and doesn't bowl so many "hand grenades" as he used to.

The problem my son will face is that, at the moment, the boys that he is at the moment in a false sense of security - the boys that face him (and this is admittedly not yet at County but up to District level) are like "rabbits in head lights" simply because they are frightened to use their feet against him and do tend to hit against the spin. Where that will change is when those boys have the courage to come down the track and hit him on the "full" but I am hoping that by that time he will have enough variations to counter that. And that his "unusual" method of spinning the ball will give him that much more control than a traditional leg spinner might have.

Time will tell but it's a discipline that is more "risk/reward" than any other method of bowling and very very few (and no English players in recent times) actually master. Fortunately for young AA he can bat too ;-)

Good luck to your son, he has a tough road ahead as a leggie but a potentially rewarding one as it really is the path less travelled.

As you said earlier it is so bloody tough for spinners in England because the conditions are is much more conducive to swing and seam bowlers - but all he can do is keep at it and most importantly to enjoy it.

My own son is only eight and has already been asked to train with the Regional U-11 representative side here in Brisbane - although he is a seam bowler - and although it's great to see him do well and knock over kids much older than him I just want him to enjoy it more than anything else.
    Good luck to your son too.

Enjoyment is a massive factor. Sadly the further he goes the more pressure there is but if he can't handle it and/or it ceases to be something he really wants to do then he won't find me standing in his way if he wants to leave the "system".

• Options
    You just couldn't resist could you?
  • Options
    Riviera said:

You just couldn't resist could you?

You set 'em up..............
  • Options
    So far Australia's last five wickets have put on over 1,000 runs whilst England's have contributed 218. Of course Australia have batted one more time than us...... ;-)
  • Options
    Riviera said:

So far Australia's last five wickets have put on over 1,000 runs whilst England's have contributed 218. Of course Australia have batted one more time than us...... ;-)

I am surprised we have even scored that many!
  • Options
    oh feck off cook
  • Options
    FFS!
    Cook LBW 2nd ball. Paying no-shot.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just about sums up our series. :-)
  • Options
    Jesus, I have only seen about 10 balls in the whole series, then this!
  • Options
    it's so bad it's funny now
  • Options
    and bell dropped first ball...
  • Options
    Bell dropped first ball! A sitter!
  • Options
    Bell edges to first slip first ball. Watson drops when it was easier to hold on.
  • Options
    Jokers
  • Options
    hahahahaha. all out by lunch?
  • Options
    And what was that shot???
  • Options
    Fancy padding up to the 2nd ball of the day . Our batsmen are so out of form they might as well as give the Aussies the Test & come home. complete rubbish.

As I type Bell is dropped 1st ball !!!

what a shower !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    what a comedy over
  • Options
    Can't see us saving the follow-on at this rate.
  • Options
    I reckon a total of 100 is on the cards, our batsmen look like rabbits caught in the headlights.
  • Options
    Hells teeth. Second bloody ball

This is going to be painful

Tell you one thing though (totally unrelated to cooks dismissal) that I said a couple of years ago and still stands. Mitchell Johnson is a chucker and if he wasn't an Australian he would be looked into.
  • Options
    What a load of old s***.
  • Options
    poor old jimmy.....that was a big blow after that one!
  • Options
    We look like we'll get out every delivery.
  • Options
    I was gonna stay up for this might just get up early when we are on our second innings...
  • Options
    Will be surprised if we make double figures with 2 wickets down at this rate.
  • Options
    Carter said:

Hells teeth. Second bloody ball

This is going to be painful

Tell you one thing though (totally unrelated to cooks dismissal) that I said a couple of years ago and still stands. Mitchell Johnson is a chucker and if he wasn't an Australian he would be looked into.

Not sure about him being a chucker, he just has quite a slingy action.

To be a chucker his elbow needs to bent and then straighten, I don't think he really does that.