Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Ashes: Australia v England, 2013-14.

Comments

• It was a disasterous tour but Cook oversaw a 3-0 Ashes home victory as well as our first series win in India since 1985. I think those two series alone buy him at least another summer.
  • edited January 2014

It was a disasterous tour but Cook oversaw a 3-0 Ashes homeictory as well as our first series win in India since 1985. I think those two series alone buy him at least another summer.

no .. make the changes now so that a new regime can settle in against 'lesser' test opposition like India and Sri Lanka, neither of whom, I suspect, take test cricket as seriously now as they take the one day game .. if there are no changes and England are successful next summer, it will merely be a paper over crack exercise, delaying the inevitable, sleep walking into a brick wall, or any other analogy you like .. the current regime, both players and support staff are no longer a match for tests against S Africa and Australia, the last two countries I feel which still take test cricket VERY seriously

EDIT: I do not really hold out much hope that the old pals at the ECB will make wholesale changes .. Flower's face seems to fit in all too well with the bores and blazers that decide these things
  • Cook is an awful captain and is shot to pieces as a batsman - he averaged sub-30 over the last 10 Tests with no hundreds.

He needs to be replaced and allowed to come back as a batsman.
  • Cook & Root fail again. England rescued by Bell and a fantastic partnership between Morgan and Buttler.
  • edited January 2014
    Disappointing last couple of overs, but still a competitive score. 296-8 I think I heard that the highest successful chase at The Gabba in ODI's is 280 odd so maybe we have a chance, need to get the Dynamic Duo out early though.
  • Top innings from Morgan, he paced it beautifully.

Buttler and Stokes are batting one place too deep, need to get their power in earlier.

Time for Root to have a rest surely and even Cook, but that's not going to happen.
  • England's score has been revised after a six was given as a four at the time or something, not too sure. So Aussie need 301 now.

Finch out, good start.
  • Cook should not be anywhere near England's one day team.
  • Riviera said:

Cook should not be anywhere near England's one day team.

Agreed, absolute joke, he looks about as comfortable as Nick Griffin at Regents Park Mosque.
  • Riviera said:

England's score has been revised after a six was given as a four at the time or something, not too sure. So Aussie need 301 now.

Finch out, good start.

Fielder on boundary parried the ball whilst in the air but over the rope. Umpires originally gave it as a 2 but revised it to a 6.

• Sponsored links:

• He will probably get smashed now but was impressed by Jordan in the first match.
  • He will probably get smashed now but was impressed by Jordan in the first match.

;-)

;-)

lol - forgot I was watching it on a 5 minute delay. Talk about after timing!

Buttler and Stokes are batting one place too deep, need to get their power in earlier.

Time for Root to have a rest surely and even Cook, but that's not going to happen.

The obvious solution is to drop Cook and Root and bring in Carberry (with the instruction to play like he did last season in OD games) and Tredders or Briggs.

As you say though that simply isn't going to happen to Cook and his 22 has probably cemented his place for the rest of the series!

• What a catch from Jordan

;-)

The obvious solution is to drop Cook and Root and bring in Carberry (with the instruction to play like he did last season in OD games) and Tredders or Briggs.

As you say though that simply isn't going to happen to Cook and his 22 has probably cemented his place for the rest of the series!

Cook and Root both look exhausted and totally shot, you can see the difference between them and Morgan and Buttler who look fresh and focused.
  • This is the side, from those players out there, I would like to see given a go:

Carberry
    Bell
    Ballance
    Morgan
    Bopara
    Buttler
    Stokes
    Woakes
    Broad
    Tredwell
    Jordan

Out go Cook, Root, Bresnan and Rankin for Carberry, Tredwell, Woakes and Broad. Better balance to the side with six bowlers including a front line spinner plus Morgan, Buttler and Stokes all moving up one.
  • This is the side, from those players out there, I would like to see given a go:

Carberry
    Bell
    Ballance
    Morgan
    Bopara
    Buttler
    Stokes
    Woakes
    Broad
    Tredwell
    Jordan

Out go Cook, Root, Bresnan and Rankin for Carberry, Tredwell, Woakes and Broad. Better balance to the side with six bowlers including a front line spinner plus Morgan, Buttler and Stokes all moving up one.

I like that team apart from Woakes, his bowling could really get collared out here with the 'English' length he bowls.

We really miss Finn in this one-day side, what on earth have they done to that guy?
  • BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport 9m

Huge wicket. Clarke c Ballance b Root 18. Aus 70-3 chasing 301. http://bbc.in/1me166r
  • Finn has the "yips" by all account.

Root has just taken a wicket and now justified his place in the team!
  • Sponsored links:

• Bresnan just wasted review.

And another for Root.

And another for Root.

He will probably end up with more wickets than runs!
  • Aus 178-5 off 32 overs.
    Need 123 from 108 balls.
  • Another loss from the jaws of victory I am afraid:(
  • Yes. It worked - Haddin out. 201-6
  • 206-7 Maxwell out
  • Two wickets in an over from Bresnan, I really though Haddin and Maxwell would get them home.

I am sick of the sight of that arsehole Haddin.

• I am sick of the sight of that arsehole Haddin.

I do wish you wouldn't sit on that fence Ormy!

• 210-7, 91/85.