Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Ashes: Australia v England, 2013-14.

Comments

• Absolute disgrace. I hope Gooch is enjoying his holiday on Australia because he seems to have done bugger all with the players.
  • Good to see some of the lads in Perth. Slightly worried that the Charlton flag is right next to the bins, but they're already full up with the careers of Pieterson, Prior and Swann!
  • As I've said before Prior should not be in this side now, way past his best

Time to play the ressies drop KP, Stokes, Prior for the next game
  • edited December 2013
    It does feel as if half of this team are on their last legs. Pietersen is 33, Carberry is 33, Swann is 34. Prior, Anderson and Bell are all now 31... Got to be careful we don't strip half of the team out in one swoop though, it'll do more damage than good a la Australia. One replaced every series or two should make the transition easier. By the time the next Ashes series comes around in 2016/17 we should be close to replacing half of this team but to pull three, four or five players out at once would be suicidal.

No player should be forced out of the team against their will yet. But I think the heat is on Pietersen and Swann who need to have the summer of their lives against SL and India to save their places in the team beyond 2014.
  • Next Ashes series is here in 2015!
  • I'll wager that Cook is still captain and Flower still manager/coach/whatever is his official title, this time next year, and that the majority of this squad are still earning well through central contracts. How bad do we have to get before serious changes are made ?
  • Agree on Cook but I think Flower will go early next year, he's as much said so himself.
  • Riviera said:

Agree on Cook but I think Flower will go early next year, he's as much said so himself.

nowadays, with all the pressures on managers/coaches, the prima donna players, the media et al, their tenures are necessarily getting shorter and shorter. I would like to see Bob Willis and Angus Fraser given some senior selectorial/managerial role .. but I won't hold my breath
  • edited December 2013
    Its getting an England rugby union Woodward era look to it,all the coaches you could shake a stick at.They won the wc and everyone believed it was all down to the coaching system,forgetting the fact there were some VERY useful payers in the team.I think similar has happened with the cricket they have analysed them selves in to paralysis.Think they need a massed clearout of has beens and pointless coaches then get some hungry young lads in and let them play whats in front of them without two dozen coaches sticking their oar in.
  • Bob Willis had a term as England assistant manager on a couple of tours before the days of Team England and it all ended in tears. I'd rather keep him on The Verdict, I love him on there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Apparently the coaching staff have 82 pages worth of dietary requirements? Surely all they needed was one page with all the Aussies on?
  • Riviera said:

Bob Willis had a term as England assistant manager on a couple of tours before the days of Team England and it all ended in tears. I'd rather keep him on The Verdict, I love him on there.

Ashley Giles as manager anyone ? ... a fully paid up member of the 'Face That Fits (Irrespective of Ability) Club'
  • Ashley Giles already has far too much influence with England. The sooner he goes the better. A typical product of the mollycoddled modern cricketer. Always sounds as if he's going to burst into tears.

You need someone not too long out of the game but not friendly with the current players. International experience, preferably as captain. A sound technical knowledge. A leader. Someone prepared to take a chance.
    There is such an obvious candidate around but he'd need to be prized away from what is probably the best job in the world.

Who?

Nasser Hussain of course.
  • Flower Out! ;-)
  • They are far too molly coddled,the smallest thing upsets "the dressing room".Ashley Giles wasn't nicknamed Wheelie Bin for nothing.
  • I remember when they wanted Ray Illingworth based mostly on what he said on the telly,on the authority of his past record. Nasser wont jack the job with Sky in,he likes to watch his pennies as the rest of the crew constantly remind him and that job is a dream job,as long as he sounds convincing he aint going to get proved wrong.He will have made twice as much with Sky as he ever made playing.A hungry no nonsense coach is what is needed,but when you see the likes of Gooch and Giles hanging round it doesnt foster much hope!
  • Ray Illingworth wanted the job for years, as soon as he retired from playing, at nearly 50! But the powers that be wouldn't give him what he wanted which was total control over selection and managing the team. He finally got it but it was 20 years too late and he was too out of touch with the modern game.
    It's a shame he didn't get it earlier as he was a superb captain and a great reader of the game.
  • 1StevieG said:

Apparently the coaching staff have 82 pages worth of dietary requirements? Surely all they needed was one page with all the Aussies on?

Just under cook it all, that should give them the runs.
  • Riviera said:

Next Ashes series is here in 2015!

Apologies. I meant the next Ashes down under.
  • Cook is really struggling as Skipper, some of his tactics - even "following the ball" in the field at times - are very poor.

My view is we need Cook's runs more than his captaincy, we should look at other options - especially if we lose 5-0.

Not saying it is all his fault at all but he has looked lost out there at times.

However, to be fair, nobody can do a lot if you keep giving away massive first innings leads.
  • Sponsored links:

• Clarke, Warner and Smith have scored more runs between them this series than England.
  • I agree that cook is struggling , not only as captain but with his batting but if he stood down who on earth would step in as captain? . The only two who might be in with a shout would be Broad ( unusual for a bowler to captain ) or Prior , who is struggling with his own form.
  • I agree that cook is struggling , not only as captain but with his batting but if he stood down who on earth would step in as captain? . The only two who might be in with a shout would be Broad ( unusual for a bowler to captain ) or Prior , who is struggling with his own form.

Agree Beds, there are no obvious replacements and there is a big risk in making Broad captain (who has no track record as a skipper anyway, neither did Cook) because as a fast bowler there is a fair chance he will be out injured at times.

Maybe we should give it back to KP!!!

Agree Beds, there are no obvious replacements and there is a big risk in making Broad captain (who has no track record as a skipper anyway, neither did Cook) because as a fast bowler there is a fair chance he will be out injured at times.

There is one player who is guaranteed his place and did captain England at U19 level.

Ian Bell.

• Love Bell, but he isn't a captain. Has to be Cook, but agree that once this series is lost, the last two games should be an opportunity to try out some new things.

Panesar should be brought in for Swann, who has been atrocious and looks utterly lost. He needs time out to sort himself out.

Cook needs to find form. He's drastically out of nick, but at least Carberry has looked ok. Would move Bell up to three. At least he hasn't looked dire - and would be a better bet than Root there for my money.

I'd drop KP. Give Ballance a shot, or chuck Root in at four and play Ballance at 5.

There is one player who is guaranteed his place and did captain England at U19 level.

Ian Bell.

I'm not sure Bell has what it takes to do the media stuff. He is quite a very private man and captaining at U19's is a million miles away from the media circus of the England team. I would stick with Cook despite this disastrous series.
  • Riviera said:

Next Ashes series is here in 2015!

Apologies. I meant the next Ashes down under.
    errr, I don't think so. I don't have any dates in front of me , but I'd hazard a guess we play them at home in 2017 and then in OZ in either 17/18 or 18/19.
  • Great to see this yesterday, but watching that limp wristed performance really pissed me off.
  • edited December 2013
    Ashes 2015: Lord's, Trent Bridge, Cardiff, The Oval, Edgbaston http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/15020210

From there I'd assume they'd stick with the 1.5 year gap to Australia, making the next series down under 2016/17. If they don't want overkill (more so than already planned), it'll be a 2.5 year gap to Oz and a normal cycle to resume after 2019.

Cook won't be replaced as captain. Hasn't yet lost a test at home, whilst captaining that series victory in India. Admittedly there have been two poor series so far in Australia and New Zealand but he's going to be captain for another 4 or 5 years yet.