Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Ashes: Australia v England, 2013-14.

Comments

• Haddin out, at last, I hope.
  • this partnership has basically won the aussies the ashes imo

Might have spoken too soon NSS.

One to Stokes. Haddin out. 267-6.

• Come on England, clean that tail end up!
  • this partnership has basically won the aussies the ashes imo

Might have spoken too soon NSS.

One to Stokes. Haddin out. 267-6.

you were saying Johnson 20 no and Smith century, what a crock of shit

• Haddin's batting has been even more significant than Johnson's bowling in deciding this series IMO
  • Thw batsmen fuck up time and time again and they tinker with the bowlers? Typical cricket at all levels run by bloody batsmen!
  • No way Smith should be scoring a 100...
  • Johnson is proving to be an all round menace .. let's hope that a Stokes or someone else 'English' develops into such a good player .. better late in a career than never.
  • That was a mixed day great batting pitch, did well to get the wickets but way to many poor balls, the difference between the two sides is if we are 5 down for less than 150 we would be all out for around 250. But boy that was hot sat in the sun all day really burning hot it would of been a every long day for our team but if they had any luck we would of been batting after tea.
  • Johnson is proving to be an all round menace .. let's hope that a Stokes or someone else 'English' develops into such a good player .. better, late in a career than never.

I will be sending that £5 to you soon Lincs. After this series I think it is time for England to rebuild. Robson, Vince,Jordan, Mills, Ballance, Borthwick should be pushing for a starting place.
  • Sponsored links:

• same old same old. In all 3 Tests we have had them 5 down for under 150 but then can't clean up the tail & they end up getting 400 plus.

We took 3 6ft 4" tall quicks and not played one of them - if you can't play them at Perth then you never will. If I was Finn or Tremlett I'd tell the selectors where to go & get the next plane back to blighty.
  • dont be a wally large if they did that the ECB would remove there central contract, they what qould the do ? Silly silly comment.
  • edited December 2013

No way Smith should be scoring a 100...

Smith played Kent league cricket for Sevenoaks Vine some 6 or 7 years ago, when he would have been around 17.
    Watched him bat once and though he looked decent, you wouldn't have marked him down as a future Ashes centurion.
    He's certainly an improving player though and perhaps most importantly he has shown he's got the heart for Test cricket, which is half the battle.
    Conversely, I look at someone like Tremlett, who has all the attributes to be a solid test bowler, and wonder whether he has the mental toughness to succeed.
  • edited December 2013
    dickplumb said:

Johnson is proving to be an all round menace .. let's hope that a Stokes or someone else 'English' develops into such a good player .. better, late in a career than never.

I will be sending that £5 to you soon Lincs. After this series I think it is time for England to rebuild. Robson, Vince,Jordan, Mills, Ballance, Borthwick should be pushing for a starting place.
    I agree D P .. the trouble is under central contracts all 'the lads' have a great deal to lose .. we've had the same problem before with cricket and more recently rugby, where a decent team declines quickly thru lack of new blood and rebuilding from the base takes for ever... the same thing has happened to the Aussies and of course the Windies .., who will never recover ... the Aussies have made great progress in the past few months .. I reckon it's more a state of mind thing than a pure talent thing ..
    ...about the 'fortune' (lol) IF the time comes, please send a donation to one of: MacMillan, Cancer Research, NSPCC or the Salvation Army .. your choice
  • dickplumb said:

Johnson is proving to be an all round menace .. let's hope that a Stokes or someone else 'English' develops into such a good player .. better, late in a career than never.

I agree D P .. the trouble is under central contracts all 'the lads' have a great deal to lose .. we've had the same problem before with cricket and more recently rugby, where a decent team declines quickly thru lack of new blood and rebuilding from the base takes for ever... the same thing has happened to the Aussies and of course the Windies .., who will never recover ... the Aussies have made great progress in the past few months .. I reckon it's more a state of mind thing than a pure talent thing ..
    ...about the 'fortune' (lol) IF the time comes, please send a donation to one of: MacMillan, Cancer Research, NSPCC or the Salvation Army .. your choice
    If it's alright with you I will send it to the Greenwich and Bexley Hospice as my parents have been associated with them for many years.

• ^^^ fine with me D P .. there is still a way to go though
  • edited December 2013
    Sack the selectors. The three tall quicks not selected should have been in front of tubby trundlers like Bresnan. OK not in form but barely played. Part time spinners and not sure I'd have played Jimmy on these pitches. Do we have a shot selection coach? Don't go cross bat til you feel you're in!
  • Sack the selectors. The three tall quicks not selected should have been in front of tubby trundlers like Bresnan. OK not in form but barely played. Part time spinners and not sure I'd have played Jimmy on these pitches. Do we have a shot selection coach? Don't go cross bat til you feel you're in!

lol... 16 cricketers and 1,001 coaches/mentors/psychiatrists/analysts/dog walkers/dieticians/chiropodists/hairdressers/(possibly) tattoo artists/AND ... a few selectors
  • Stats from SKY - not that we didn't know it but rather damning nevertheless:

Aussies
    Brisbane 1st Inns: 132-6 to 295
    Adelaide 1st Inns: 257-5 to 570
    Perth 1st Inns: 145-5 to 326-6 (to date)

England
    Brisbane1st Inns: 82-2 to 136
    Brisbane 2nd Inns - 130-3 to 179
    Adelaide 1st Inns - 111-3 to 172

Proof that our bowling can't finish them off and our batting has no middle to late order whatsoever.
  • Sack the selectors. The three tall quicks not selected should have been in front of tubby trundlers like Bresnan. OK not in form but barely played. Part time spinners and not sure I'd have played Jimmy on these pitches. Do we have a shot selection coach? Don't go cross bat til you feel you're in!

From David Saker's post-match interview sounds like he wanted to play one of the tall lads but was overruled by Flower and Cook

• Sponsored links:

• Got a terrible feeling about tonight and reckon the only question to be answered is whether the Aussies will enforce the follow on or not after Mitchell Johnson has skittled us out for about 75.
  • 354/9
    Smith got 111
  • 385 all out. 30 mins until lunch.
  • 43 degrees here in Perth today. Stinking hot. Was there yesterday and although we played ok, I felt our bowling wasn't the best.
    The team do look more up for it, they've seemed to have up'd they're intensity.

Cook and carberry aren't looking to comfortable. If cook can bat through into the forties then i hope he'll kick on. But watching now I doubt very much that'll happen.
  • edited December 2013
    Carberry out trying to leave a ball and played on. 85-1.
  • Here we go....
  • How on earth has the 3rd umpire not over-ruled the decision to give Root out? He clearly didn't hit the ball & even Shane Warne was adamant that it was not out. This technology is still not up to the job unfortunately.
  • How on earth has the 3rd umpire not over-ruled the decision to give Root out? He clearly didn't hit the ball & even Shane Warne was adamant that it was not out. This technology is still not up to the job unfortunately.

Maybe the technology is fine but the guidelines for the 3rd umpire are what's wrong? Sitting in a bar in Ho Chi Minh with a couple of Aussies and even they were saying it was clearly not out.
  • edited December 2013
    DRAddick said:

How on earth has the 3rd umpire not over-ruled the decision to give Root out? He clearly didn't hit the ball & even Shane Warne was adamant that it was not out. This technology is still not up to the job unfortunately.

Maybe the technology is fine but the guidelines for the 3rd umpire are what's wrong? Sitting in a bar in Ho Chi Minh with a couple of Aussies and even they were saying it was clearly not out.
    Yes, the 3rd umpire needs clear evidence that that the on field decision was wrong. However, hot spot showed nothing & the camera from behind the batsman showed the ball clearly missing the bat. So why did he concentrate on the front view, which was far less conclusive, & snicko, which showed something, albeit after the ball had passed the bat. The review system is supposed to ensure the correct decision is made, not that the onfield umpire is correct.
  • Pietersen 3 off 38 balls. Is this his slowest ever start ?