Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Ashes: Australia v England, 2013-14.

Comments

• Riviera said:

There are problems with the bowling. Swann is shot to pieces. Never seen him bowl so ineffectively and inconsistently. Aussie started getting hold of him last summer and have continued to do so. Anderson is not the bowler in Australia he is at home. Broad is great. Third seamer an issue. In two innings Aussie have scored nearly 1,000 runs for 16 wickets. That indicates that all is not well with the bowling.

Totally agree with this. With the exception of Clarke, their top six are nothing to write home about but our attack has let them pile up scores of 295, 401/7d, 570/9d and 132/3d. Only Broad of our bowlers has consistently been at the races.
  • 2am start tonight.
    Both Clarke & Cook's 100th Test match.
  • I will be there hoping that the English batsman will be to, plus the way it's going for us we won't win the toss
  • I will be there hoping that the English batsman will be to, plus the way it's going for us we won't win the toss

how's in going down there ? I visited Perth 20 years ago for a friends wedding. They got married in Freemantle and I spent a few days there before the wedding & then travelled south for a few days to see some of the country.

Whilst in Freemantle I spent a day sailing on the Swan river and sailed right past the WACA, but never got to go inside.

• You can't pick Swann for his slip catching! That's madness.

I would love to see us stick it up this lot with Mills - but as Leroy says he is not ready for Test Cricket yet.

I'd go with....

Cook
    Carberry
    Root
    KP
    Bell
    Balance/Bairstow
    Prior
    Broad
    Finn
    Anderson
    Panesar

Number six is an issue, I think we need more runs from there so we can put the Aussies under pressure.

Guarantee you Swann will play, and that will be one of the reasons.

Don't get all this hype about Mills. Yeh he's quick, but he has only played a handful of games for Essex for a reason.
  • I saw him bowl against England in the summer and took a few wickets... But he has pace and little else at this stage. Topley is more effective.

If our batsmen payed to their potential we'd be looking at a different scoreline
  • If he plays, Prior should bat 6.

Team should be-

COOK
    CARBERRY
    BELL
    PIETERSON
    ROOT
    PRIOR
    STOKES
    BRESNAN
    BROAD
    FINN
    ANDERSON
  • BBC TMS ‏@bbctms 2m
    WACA toss live in 3 hours. England have not won a match in 2013 after losing toss + haven't lost a game in 2013 after winning toss #ashes
  • edited December 2013
    And haven't won at Perth since 1978/78 when Aussie's best players were with Packer.

Play starts at 2.30am GMT
  • Riviera said:

If he plays, Prior should bat 6.

Team should be-

COOK
    CARBERRY
    BELL
    PIETERSON
    ROOT
    PRIOR
    STOKES
    BRESNAN
    BROAD
    FINN
    ANDERSON

Apart from the batting order, it looks remarkably similar to:

I'm gonna do a "Clarke" and tell you the team that will play (as opposed to the one I would pick):

Cook
    Carberry
    Root
    KP
    Bell
    Stokes
    Prior
    Bresnan
    Broad
    Finn
    Anderson

• Sponsored links:

• I won't be staying up for the first session this time. I'm off all day tomorrow so Cricket is number one on my agenda. Despite our record at Perth i'm confident we wont lose . We cant possible lay down and die three games in a row but we do desperately need to win the toss.
  • Riviera said:

Team should be-

COOK
    CARBERRY
    BELL
    PIETERSON
    ROOT
    PRIOR
    STOKES
    BRESNAN
    BROAD
    FINN
    ANDERSON

I'm gonna do a "Clarke" and tell you the team that will play (as opposed to the one I would pick):

Cook
    Carberry
    Root
    KP
    Bell
    Stokes
    Prior
    Bresnan
    Broad
    Finn
    Anderson

Your point being?
  • Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Team should be-

COOK
    CARBERRY
    BELL
    PIETERSON
    ROOT
    PRIOR
    STOKES
    BRESNAN
    BROAD
    FINN
    ANDERSON

Cook
    Carberry
    Root
    KP
    Bell
    Stokes
    Prior
    Bresnan
    Broad
    Finn
    Anderson

Your point being?
    That you are guilty Sir of plagiarism.

• Or that you, you fool, have too high opinion of yourself. Do you really think I take any notice of what you post? And I certainly do not trawl back to read what you or anyone else has said when I am making my statements.
  • Riviera said:

Or that you, you fool, have too high opinion of yourself. Do you really think I take any notice of what you post? And I certainly do not trawl back to read what you or anyone else has said when I am making my statements.

You should. It would save you having to engage your brain. And I know how hard that is for you. Almost as hard as it is for you not to try to wind people up.

• We are going to melt in that heat, they forecast something like 37-38 degrees for most of the test. Johnson was very good in 2010 and we've got a huge job on our hands coping with him this week. Haddin is going to have to stand back on the boundary rope to catch some of his deliveries!!
  • I don't wind people up. People wind themselves up.
  • Rumoured team: Cook, Carberry, Root, KP, Bell, Stokes, Prior, Bresnan, Broad, Swann, Anderson
  • edited December 2013
    Lost the toss.... Australia bat.

England team confirmed, Bresnan in for Panesar.
  • Rogers run out !

Should never happen in first twenty minutes of a test.
  • Sponsored links:

• Great fielding from Anderson to run Rogers out but Broad's bowling is all over the place at the moment. He needs to do much better.
  • edited December 2013
    Another classic "awwwh nah" from Watson as he's caught at slip off Broad for 18. 52-2
  • edited December 2013
    Nice catch from Cook to remove Clarke just before lunch. 106-3.
  • If Cook wants to continue as captain he must start winning the toss!
  • Swann snares Warner - caught at gully by Carberry. Poor shot but we'll take it.

129-4 and a real chance with Smith and Bailey now in.
  • And Bailey pulls Broad straight to KP at deep square leg for 7.

143-5.

Have the Aussies learned how not to bat from us?
  • normal service resuming 213-5 stand of 70.
  • As well as we've done to get the five wickets, we are giving them too many "gifts". They could well be 400-8 at the end of the day.
  • After a good start the England bowlers are visibly wilting. They have no idea how to get Haddin out & for the 3rd test running he is going to post another huge score. Both the bowlers & the batsmen have failed to turn up for this series.
  • this partnership has basically won the aussies the ashes imo