Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Ashes: Australia v England, 2013-14.

Comments

• As soon as Nasser mentioned the Charlton Athletic flag the wicket follows !
  • Well that delivery was unbelievable. Lyon bowls a ball that hits a crack and is taken by wide leg slip going to his left!
  • Well that delivery was unbelievable. Lyon bowls a ball that hits a crack and is taken by wide leg slip going to his left!

That was mental !
  • We're getting cleaned up by Nathan bloody Lyon.......
  • Oh Jesus Swann. What a silly way to go. Caught short leg off Lyon. Start the car the Ashes are on their way.
  • Having said that I suppose when you've seen a ball turn 10 feet off a crack there must be some element of doubt in your mind. Might as well open your shoulders Broad and Bresnan.
  • Slower ball and Bresnan out.
  • On the brink... Rogers diving catch, Australia's worst fielder pulling it off as well. Depressing now.
  • The Aussies probably wouldn't want any other pair at the wicket when they take the Ashes - Broad and Anderson.
  • Yorker from Johnson to Broad?
  • Sponsored links:

• 353 all out.

Fair play to the Aussies and in particular Darren Lehman for turning the Aussies round. But didn't we make it easy for them!
  • Yes we did.

We are so crap we even affect the England cricket team from 8000 miles away! What did nass say about the flag?
  • Bumble said he would ask each of the players this:

"You are a very good player but do you still have the stomach for this?"

At this moment in time and for the next test, player by player, I would say if each of the players were to honestly respond this would be their reply:

Cook - yes
    Carberry - yes
    Root - yes
    KP - no
    Bell - yes
    Stokes - yes
    Prior - no
    Bresnan - yes
    Swann - no
    Broad - yes
    Anderson - no

Selection is muddied because Bresnan is undercooked and Broad may be injured. But, assuming they are both OK, this is what we would be left with:

Cook
    Carberry
    Bell
    Root
    Ballance
    Stokes
    Bairstow
    Bresnan
    Broad
    Finn/Rankin/Tremlett
    Monty

I just don't see the likes of KP/Prior/Swann or Anderson being honest enough when asked that question. Or the selectors being brave enough to follow that through if only because, when you add Trott to that list, you are taking out five of the best six or seven from the last five or so years.
  • Question is do we now make wholesale changes for Melbourne and Sydney and give some of the inexperienced players some time to impress or do we just pick a similar side and try to save face and not lose 5-0.

Personally Bairstow for Prior and Finn for Anderson would be my changes for the last two, I dont think its going to do Anderson any favours playing him.

We are so crap we even affect the England cricket team from 8000 miles away! What did nass say about the flag?
    The camera was on two flags a Durham one and the Charlton one
    And Nassers co commentator mentioned something about that's where it all started for you Nas
    And Nas said something along the lines of I thought you meant Charlton Athletic but yes Durham is where I met my wife

That was mental !
    I've just seen that ball again and hand on heart I don't think I have ever seen a ball spin that much. We often use the phrase "turning it square" but that was almost just that.

• I cannot begin to tell you how pissed off I am. Ok fair play to the Aussies, they played great cricket and were aggressive. They deserve the series win. But it's the way WE underperformed that gets my goat. None of our senior players have looked up to the challenge. They melted(no pun intended regarding the heat we've had here in Perth) in all 3 tests so far. Gutless.
    And to top it all the Neanderthal Aussie supporters are a graceless bunch of c***s.
    I'm fuming.
  • If I were Flower I would give a public ultimatum to the senior players that they are playing for their careers in these last two Tests.

Its actually a bit unfair to just toss in Ballance, Bairstow and Finn at this stage when they have not played for a month and expect them to perform.

Nobody should be undroppable.
  • ozaddick said:

I cannot begin to tell you how pissed off I am. Ok fair play to the Aussies, they played great cricket and were aggressive. They deserve the series win. But it's the way WE underperformed that gets my goat. None of our senior players have looked up to the challenge. They melted(no pun intended regarding the heat we've had here in Perth) in all 3 tests so far. Gutless.
    And to top it all the Neanderthal Aussie supporters are a graceless bunch of c***s.
    I'm fuming.

I despise Aussie's when it comes to sport
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2013
    They really are mouthy when they win. I don't hear a peep out of them otherwise. I'll always offer congratulations to them when they've won, they don't if we beat them, they just bitch and moan. Thick bastards.
  • What disappoints me now is that the edge has been taken off the 4th Test at Melbourne. To sit up Christmas night and watch the first session with cold meat sandwiches and a beer or two is one of the highlights of armchair sport, along with the first round of The Open, the last round of The Masters and The Grand National for examples.

I'll still do it though, cold chicken and salad with my homemade stuffing, some pickled onions and a pint or two out of my firkin of Spitfire.
  • If we don't make changes and we end up beating a team of Aussies who have taken their foot off the gas what will that prove? So many series in the 90's ended up with us winning a Test in a dead rubber. Dump the dead wood now.

KP - Drop him, hope that he does a Kevin Keegan circa 1982 and wish him all the best.
    Swann - Drop him. Tell him that he is still part of the future but he needs a rest and to spend more time thinking about his bowling and not podcasting/promoting/twittering/generally being an arrogant twat.
    Prior _ Drop him. Tell him he's still part of the future but never pick him again. Use Bairstow for now and give the job to Joss Butler from next summer
    Anderson - Rest him, thank him for his efforts and tell him to chill out and get ready for those nice green wickets in May.
  • I don't believe the Boycott woman beating conviction in France, the evidence was very unconvincing to virtually all observers.

If I were Flower I would give a public ultimatum to the senior players that they are playing for their careers in these last two Tests.

Its actually a bit unfair to just toss in Ballance, Bairstow and Finn at this stage when they have not played for a month and expect them to perform.

Nobody should be undroppable.

Flower's position is just as under threat as the players. Lehmann has been a massive breath of fresh air, and has transformed the Australian Team (when you think back to homeworkgate etc).
  • Flower indicated that he'll probably quit after this tour some while back.
  • Riviera said:

If we don't make changes and we end up beating a team of Aussies who have taken their foot off the gas what will that prove? So many series in the 90's ended up with us winning a Test in a dead rubber. Dump the dead wood now.

KP - Drop him, hope that he does a Kevin Keegan circa 1982 and wish him all the best.
    Swann - Drop him. Tell him that he is still part of the future but he needs a rest and to spend more time thinking about his bowling and not podcasting/promoting/twittering/generally being an arrogant twat.
    Prior _ Drop him. Tell him he's still part of the future but never pick him again. Use Bairstow for now and give the job to Joss Butler from next summer
    Anderson - Rest him, thank him for his efforts and tell him to chill out and get ready for those nice green wickets in May.

It is not often I agree with you Riviera but you have got it spot on.

• Riviera said:

If we don't make changes and we end up beating a team of Aussies who have taken their foot off the gas what will that prove? So many series in the 90's ended up with us winning a Test in a dead rubber. Dump the dead wood now.

Spot on
  • Can Joss Butler be called into the squad? If he can we should get him out there and behind the stumps for the last 3 matches. They are meaningless tests, so may as we get him some experience in test cricket.

I would bring in Ballance for Carbury and move Root to open with Bell at three, kp at 4 ballance 5 and stokes 6.

Would rest broad and anderson and play finn and rankin. Keep bresnan. Drop swann for monty.

We need to try and get the younger generation some experience. Although i can see the opposite view, in which throwing them in in this situation may do more harm than good
  • edited December 2013
    Wholesale changes aren't the way forward. Broad can barely walk, rest him and make sure he's ready for the Tests of 2014. I also think KP is done now. Drop him and play Ballance in the remaining two tests. Otherwise no change from this over the next two tests (unless Prior has a shocker in Melbourne, then Bairstow plays in Sydney):

Cook
    Carberry
    Root
    Ballance
    Bell
    Stokes
    Prior
    Bresnan
    Swann
    Anderson
    Finn
  • KP is done in my opinion and there are serious question marks about Prior although I would be too hasty about dropping him because he is a good influence in the dressing room .
    Apart from that who else has done their time ? Trott & Bresnan possibly ?