Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Ashes: Australia v England, 2013-14.

Comments

• ^^^^ he's nearly 35 .. his arm has gone, so he's stated .. why hang around when you know you are finished?

To keep people on Charlton Life happy?

I am in your camp, still struggle to see why people want Swann hanging around now the series is lost and he is retiring.

If the series was in the balance it would be different but we've been well beaten so let's look to the future as soon as we can.
  • ^^^^ he's nearly 35 .. his arm has gone, so he's stated .. why hang around when you know you are finished?

I am in your camp, still struggle to see why people want Swann hanging around now the series is lost and he is retiring.

If the series was in the balance it would be different but we've been well beaten so let's look to the future as soon as we can.

Cheers OA ... I will say again, the selection for this tour was RUBBISH .. I do not rate Cook as strong, experienced or tough enough to be a captain when the heat is on .. great batsman, poor captain, take the captaincy away and he will once more be a top class opener ... all those who have yet to play a test so far should be given a game in Sydney and/or Melbourne, even though some should be back wintering in England. Forget face saving or redemption, many selected so far do not deserve a shot at redemption.

Carberry Cook Root Bell Ballance Stokes Bairstow Finn Panesar Anderson Rankin .. see what they can do .. I am assuming that Broad will not be fit ..

The only real bright spot so far in this debacle is the form of Kiwi Stokes .. they breed em tough in the land of the long white cloud

Cheers OA ... I will say again, the selection for this tour was RUBBISH .. I do not rate Cook as strong, experienced or tough enough to be a captain when the heat is on .. great batsman, poor captain, take the captaincy away and he will once more be a top class opener ... all those who have yet to play a test so far should be given a game in Sydney and/or Melbourne, even though some should be back wintering in England. Forget face saving or redemption, many selected so far do not deserve a shot at redemption.

Carberry Cook Root Bell Ballance Stokes Bairstow Finn Panesar Anderson Rankin .. see what they can do .. I am assuming that Broad will not be fit ..

The only real bright spot so far in this debacle is the form of Kiwi Stokes .. they breed em tough in the land of the long white cloud
    In some ways we are really lucky to be playing a very decent Indian side this summer coming, if the likes of KP, Prior and Anderson can't produce the goods against them then its time to say goodbye.

Swann has walked away from a lot of easy money - his place was secure for as long as he wanted it - and now we will have to see if others have the guts to do the same or if they just stay on the gravy train even though their hunger has long gone.
  • Swann is Mr publicity, this act is his swasong maximum publicity, spineless
  • WSS said:
    He is obviously referring to KP, they have never got on and Swann is on record as saying KP should never have been made captain.

It was Swann baiting KP that helped spark all of the stuff between KP and Strauss.

Seriously, time to break the team up and move on with fresh blood.
  • Swann is Mr publicity, this act is his swasong maximum publicity, spineless

nail on head

• Graeme Swann says some England players have "no idea how far up their own backsides they are" as he leaves the international stage.

from the man so far up his own he could eat his colon
  • He'll play in the IPL. Classy "exit" swanny
  • I didn't realise people disliked the man so much.
  • Sponsored links:

• Great article on Swann here...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-2528017/You-love-Graeme-Swann-delivers-brutal-parting-barrage-England-players.html

Interesting that someone so quite clearly spineless achieved so much in life and that people who have never met him or ever been inside the England dressing room think they are so well qualified to give him free character analysis.
  • I've lost massive respect for Swann. He could at least keep he's cocky gob shut until after the Ashes.
  • Great article on Swann here...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-2528017/You-love-Graeme-Swann-delivers-brutal-parting-barrage-England-players.html

Interesting that someone so quite clearly spineless achieved so much in life and that people who have never met him or ever been inside the England dressing room think they are so well qualified to give him free character analysis.

Has he been giving you one ?
  • Ormiston, you clearly have some serious man love for Graham Swann.

Don't get me wrong, he's been one of my favorite England players over the last few years but him deserting a sinking ship mid series makes him seem like a bit of a bad bloke. The fact he has now had a swipe at some of his team mates in the press, after deserting them, makes him seem like a total bellend. If you manage to defend that hats off because it seems pretty indefensible to me.
  • Borthwick and Tredwell called up to Ashes squad.
  • As much as I've appreciated Swanny's contribution over the last few years, leaving the team at this stage is letting his teammates down imo. Slagging them now is unforgiveable.

On a much sillier note, he is my account of trying to see the First Test in a non-cricketing country. It won't be to everyone's taste, and there's some bad language, but hopefully some of you will enjoy a fellow Addick trying to wring some enjoyment out of this torture.

http://sabotagetimes.com/reportage/the-paris-ashes-challenge/
  • Thing is ormiston most can see him for what he really is

Goughie never clocked him one for nothing

Yer swann tried to blame KP for everything that was bad in the camp when the reality was swann was just as much to blame as were others

Making kp the scape goat was easy as his ego and ignorance made it so

Swann was a sneaky f**k who played the school snitch and creep well

Now he is letting the facard slip and all can see

Except you

Yer swann tried to blame KP for everything that was bad in the camp when the reality was swann was just as much to blame as were others

Except you

Really? You've met Swann, have you? No.

Spend a lot of time around the England Test team? No.

Got any inside contacts in cricket who tell you what's going on? No.

So how on earth do you know what Swann is really like or what goes on behind closed doors? Oh, that's right you haven't got the first clue have you?

Let's have a look at KP's history, booted out of South African cricket, Nottinghamshire CCC, Hampshire CCC and suspended from England Test duty - sounds like a real team bloke, eh? Sorry to break it to you but you are talking nonsense.

Besides of which, this has nothing to do with KP anyway, this has to do with Swann having the right to a bit of respect and not have completely uninformed people claiming he has "got a massive ego" when you have never met him or know the first thing about the bloke.

A bloke with a "massive ego" would have played even when he knows he can't do it any more, thereby putting himself before the team - he did exactly the opposite of that.

England have been battered - largely as a result of the shit batting - especially from KP - and now Swann presents an easy scapegoat for people who just have to have one.
  • don't agree with nla at all, but equally find you are defending too strongly ormy.

There are ways of going about things, I think the majority feel Swann hasn't gone about them the right way and it leaves a bit of a bitter taste in the mouth.

That's all
  • don't agree with nla at all, but equally find you are defending too strongly ormy.

There are ways of going about things, I think the majority feel Swann hasn't gone about them the right way and it leaves a bit of a bitter taste in the mouth.

That's all

You are the boss round here chief and it's probably best to be left there on my part, although doubtless others will insist on having the last word!
  • Sponsored links:

Except you

A bloke with a "massive ego" would have played even when he knows he can't do it any more, thereby putting himself before the team - he did exactly the opposite of that.
    Or a bloke who was a senior member of the side that has recorded one of the worst performances by an English test team in Austrailia and can't really be arsed anymore because it's Christmas and the nasty Austrailians keep calling him names.
    As you said.Nobody really knows.

• The best spin bowler I have seen play for England, however I think he has handled this very badly. It was bad enough leaving mid way though the tour but all the crap in the media about some of his colleagues lacked class. Shame as I think he has achieved so much for England.
  • exactly my view Amos
  • The best spin bowler I have seen play for England.....

Maybe before your time Amos but "Deadly" Derek Underwood was that guy for me. Mind you he did have England's greatest ever keeper behind the stumps.

Maybe before your time Amos but "Deadly" Derek Underwood was that guy for me. Mind you he did have England's greatest ever keeper behind the stumps.

The best spin bowler I have seen play for England.....

Uncovered pitches as well must have made it easier for the spin bowlers.

The best spin bowler I have seen play for England.....

Uncovered pitches as well must have made it easier for the spin bowlers.
    .......Deadly on a sticky...............unplayable
  • Its true that uncovered wickets helped, but conversely DRS helps as well. Dickie Bird gave about one lbw a season if you were lucky!
  • you cant fault or pick holes in his England wicket taking ,

but you can in his class and attitude in this situation and he is classless and an ego manic this has proven it
  • One more game and his bowling average would have ended up over 30.

Just saying
  • One more game and his bowling average would have ended up over 30.

Just saying

how do you work that out? .. if he had taken (say) 5 for 10 in his 'next match' (it won't happen now) it would have improved his average from 29.96 to 29.42 .. his average has been shattered by the stick he has taken in the past three tests, when arguably, following some major arm/elbow surgery he has not been fully fit .. indeed his pre-operation injuries were possibly career finishing and he should not have been selected.