Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Birmingham City vs Charlton post-match news and views 2013

Comments

• Options

IA, I think your last sentence sums up Church tbh. Never going to score a lot of goals but has heart and energy in abundance. Is that enough ? I'm not sure it is unfortunately.

And that is the £6M question! CAFC probably have to pay £500K+ a year for players of the calibre we would like to see... plus signing on, plus transfer fees. How many do we need, can we sign them or, as Henry Irving asks, can we borrow some in order to push on?

• Options
    edited November 2013

IA, I think your last sentence sums up Church tbh. Never going to score a lot of goals but has heart and energy in abundance. Is that enough ? I'm not sure it is unfortunately.

And that is the £6M question! CAFC probably have to pay £500K+ a year for players of the calibre we would like to see... plus signing on, plus transfer fees. How many do we need, can we sign them or, as Henry Irving asks, can we borrow some in order to push on?

I had lots of doubts about Church but after watching him on Saturday I feel that if we can feed him with plenty of through balls to the feet he could get sharper and sharper

• Options

Not a nice to place to go on any occassion, been there a couple of times and just kept me mouth shut.

Went once with a mate to see them play wrexham (what is now league 1) when our game away was postponed at watford in about 95 season.

We were drinking in that pub ouitside when one of the local idiots was bragging about bottling his bird, we took a hasty retreat to another pub.

Great day though as i got jasper carrots autograph and spent a few mins talking to barry Fry who said when they go up that year to write to him and he would gie me a couple of tickets....he got sacked a few months later even though brum went up.

On the match well done lads would have been bottom three had we lost just keeping our heads above water.

But we need another striker, look at the wendies when they have just signed two on loan we need to do it.

They look as though they know that Admin and Div 1 are on the horizon h
    Just over 2 years after their day of glory at Wemberleee. The home crowd were totally dispirited!
  • Options
    JonnyK said:

Not a nice to place to go on any occassion, been there a couple of times and just kept me mouth shut.

Went once with a mate to see them play wrexham (what is now league 1) when our game away was postponed at watford in about 95 season.

We were drinking in that pub ouitside when one of the local idiots was bragging about bottling his bird, we took a hasty retreat to another pub.

Great day though as i got jasper carrots autograph and spent a few mins talking to barry Fry who said when they go up that year to write to him and he would gie me a couple of tickets....he got sacked a few months later even though brum went up.

On the match well done lads would have been bottom three had we lost just keeping our heads above water.

But we need another striker, look at the wendies when they have just signed two on loan we need to do it.

They look as though they know that Admin and Div 1 are on the horizon h
    Just over 2 years after their day of glory at Wemberleee. The home crowd were totally dispirited!
    yep I said the same to a Brum fan i was talking to and that it seemed very similar tot he Valley the year we get relegated from the Championship.
  • Options

Well, he's all we have so we had better make the best of it.
  • Options

Off_it said:

Fair enough Adam, and my view was there's "always one".

Move on.

Nope...........you can make that 2 !!. Yes it was a great result & it seems that the way we are currently set up is better for away games as its more defensive and harder to break down. However, this isn't really going to work playing at home & somehow CP will have to work out a way that will please the home supporters as I, for one, would like to see some attacking play that results in goals for once.

Also, great result as it was yesterday, the common thread from reading the posts on here is that is was a very, very poor B'ham side that were there to be beaten. The real test comes next week against Leeds & then the re-arranged Donny game.
    So Wigan & Blackpool at home were not tests? Truth be told we are a poor side at the moment with seemingly no chance of buying our way to being better. We therefore have to play to our strengths and if that means shutting up shop at home then so be it. Obviously it would be better entertainment to win 5-0 every week but that is not going to happen with this (or probably any) team. If we try an attacking approach we would very quickly come unstuck and end up losing, I understand that the way we're setup suits away matches better than at home but don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Look at the table and you'll see that instead of climbing up the table thinking about our game in hand if we had lost yesterday we would be in the bottom three and worrying about next year in League1. What we are doing at the moment is working and gives us something on which to build, without those eight points in four games we would be below Yeovil. Lets don't get above ourselves just yet.
  • Options
    If we win our next two, can we get above ourselves then?
  • Options

Only if we are below where we are now!
  • Options
    Looking at L1, while people are missing Haynes, it's Leon Clarke, David Mooney and Kevin Lisbie who are lighting up the scoring charts!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Loco said:

Off_it said:

Move on.

Nope...........you can make that 2 !!. Yes it was a great result & it seems that the way we are currently set up is better for away games as its more defensive and harder to break down. However, this isn't really going to work playing at home & somehow CP will have to work out a way that will please the home supporters as I, for one, would like to see some attacking play that results in goals for once.

Also, great result as it was yesterday, the common thread from reading the posts on here is that is was a very, very poor B'ham side that were there to be beaten. The real test comes next week against Leeds & then the re-arranged Donny game.
    So Wigan & Blackpool at home were not tests? Truth be told we are a poor side at the moment with seemingly no chance of buying our way to being better. We therefore have to play to our strengths and if that means shutting up shop at home then so be it. Obviously it would be better entertainment to win 5-0 every week but that is not going to happen with this (or probably any) team. If we try an attacking approach we would very quickly come unstuck and end up losing, I understand that the way we're setup suits away matches better than at home but don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Look at the table and you'll see that instead of climbing up the table thinking about our game in hand if we had lost yesterday we would be in the bottom three and worrying about next year in League1. What we are doing at the moment is working and gives us something on which to build, without those eight points in four games we would be below Yeovil. Lets don't get above ourselves just yet.
    I don't disagree with any of that - it is just not very edifying knowing that we will all be trudging down to the Valley on sat knowing that we are in for 90 mins of football that may end up with a couple of half hearted efforts at goal and hoping for just 1 spark of magic and then watching us shut up shop until the final whistle goes.

when I started watching us in the late 70's we didn't have a brilliant team and remember the relegation to div 3 in 1979/80 (?) in which we didn't win an away game all season - but we still managed to play some half decent football and scored a few goals along the way. Yes, it helped having Killer playing up front, ably helped by Martin Robinson, Flash & later on Paul Walsh. Perhaps I'm not just remembering it correctly, but I'd much prefer to see us lose 4-3 one week & win 3-2 the next than watch a turgid 0-0 or a backs to the wall, scrappy 1-0 win week in week out.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Loco said:

Off_it said:

Move on.

I don't disagree with any of that - it is just not very edifying knowing that we will all be trudging down to the Valley on sat knowing that we are in for 90 mins of football that may end up with a couple of half hearted efforts at goal and hoping for just 1 spark of magic and then watching us shut up shop until the final whistle goes.

when I started watching us in the late 70's we didn't have a brilliant team and remember the relegation to div 3 in 1979/80 (?) in which we didn't win an away game all season - but we still managed to play some half decent football and scored a few goals along the way. Yes, it helped having Killer playing up front, ably helped by Martin Robinson, Flash & later on Paul Walsh. Perhaps I'm not just remembering it correctly, but I'd much prefer to see us lose 4-3 one week & win 3-2 the next than watch a turgid 0-0 or a backs to the wall, scrappy 1-0 win week in week out.
    So you wouldn't come on here and complain that we had lost a game and conceded 4 goals in the process? Or even that we had won but still managed to let two goals in on the back of it?

Don't believe that, to be quite honest.
  • Options

Loco said:

Off_it said:

Move on.

I think the huge difference between then and now is the financial implications of relegation. I can see why a manager who might already be looking over his shoulder would think that staying in the division at all costs including being negative but effective in securing enough points to stay up might go with that rather than play expansive football with a mediocre team and get relegated regardless. I'm happy that we stay up this season in the hope if not expectation that new money is on the horizon. Getting relegated scoring a hat full of goals in the process might jeopardise that new investment and send the club spiralling out if existence.

• Options
    edited November 2013

Loco said:

Off_it said:

Move on.

What I remember of the 79/80 season was a darned sight worse than now.

I admit that as I was playing sport myself in those days I was limited in the games I saw so could have just been unlucky.
  • Options

And if we draw them, we'll be beside ourselves.

• Options
    Our defence was rubbish in that season, but I do remember a 1-0 win at the Valley against I think Man City (Hales header). I think all decent sides are built from the back – you need to get the team tight then find ways of banking what you have and creating a bit more. Feels to me, that despite bad injury situation, Chrissy has done a good job steadying the ship. I’m certainly not going to complain if we get a few mour dour games, as long as we aren’t losing them!
  • Options
    18 Sept 2012 Derby away lost 3-2
    06 Nov 2012 Cardiff home won 5-4
    01 Jan 2012 Watford away won 3-4
    13 Apr 2012 Barnsley away won 0-6
    04 May 2012 Bristol C home won 4-1

Thought they might cheer you up :)

09 Nov 2013 Leeds home won 16-0 (LOL I'm sure that'll do it)
  • Options

Loco said:

Off_it said:

Move on.

The "old days" are ALWAYS better, Golfie. FACT.
  • Options
    Add Bolton 3.2 to that as well.

18 Sept 2012 Derby away lost 3-2
    06 Nov 2012 Cardiff home won 5-4
    01 Jan 2012 Watford away won 3-4
    13 Apr 2012 Barnsley away won 0-6
    04 May 2012 Bristol C home won 4-1

• Options
    edited November 2013
    so, from last season (46 games) you managed 6 high scoring games, therefore I will counter that with 5 games from this season (13 games)

10 Aug 2013 'Boro home lost 1-0
    21 Sept 2013 Millwall home lost 1-0
    28th sept 2013 Burney away lost 2-0
    05th Oct 2013 Blackpool home drew 0-0
    27th Oct 2013 Wigan home drew 0-0

as they say, you can make statistics show what you want............
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fame @ last for Lawrie Wilson .. he was 'selected' for the Daily Telegraph championship team of the day for Saturday ((:>) . well deserved, he's having a great season for us
  • Options

Fame @ last for Lawrie Wilson .. he was 'selected' for the Daily Telegraph championship team of the day for Saturday ((:>) . well deserved, he's having a great season for us

I think Lawrie has been getting better and better the more first team playing time he has. He sometimes came in for the odd bit of stick last season, but I think he's now really established himself in the team. His work rate this season is up there with Pritch
  • Options

so, from last season (46 games) you managed 6 high scoring games, therefore I will counter that with 5 games from this season (13 games)

10 Aug 2013 'Boro home lost 1-0
    21 Sept 2013 Millwall home lost 1-0
    28th sept 2013 Burney away lost 2-0
    05th Oct 2013 Blackpool home drew 0-0
    27th Oct 2013 Wigan home drew 0-0

as they say, you can make statistics show what you want............

• Options
    We actually lost 3-0 to Burnley
  • Options
    Yeah Golfie, get it right. ;-)
  • Options
    If Solly was fit for Saturday, I don't see how Powell could drop Wilson!
  • Options

I think Lawrie has been getting better and better the more first team playing time he has. He sometimes came in for the odd bit of stick last season, but I think he's now really established himself in the team. His work rate this season is up there with Pritch
    It's more than just workrate though, his defensive positioning has improved a lot as well, as previously he's played most of his football in midfield.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Loco said:

Off_it said:

Move on.

What I remember of the 79/80 season was a darned sight worse than now.

I admit that as I was playing sport myself in those days I was limited in the games I saw so could have just been unlucky.
    I would rather put up with the 0-0 at home and 0-1 away. At least we have a solid foundation and at some point will find another striker to help out. We were a soft touch in the 70's and teams like that never move forward. I never want to go back to having to score 4 to get something out of the game.
  • Options

If Solly was fit for Saturday, I don't see how Powell could drop Wilson!

He is quite heavy you know!
  • Options
    Wiggins has been involved in some strange pics this weekend...