Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Birmingham City vs Charlton post-match news and views 2013

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2013
    We are very fortunate - or it could be an attribute Powell feels is important - in that we have genuine pace in both full backs - we also have it with Solly and Evina. That makes it hard for teams to get by us with width. Then If you have a competetive midfield, which we are starting to really develop - it isn't easy for sides to break us down.

I thought our biggest issue was that our centre halves and keeper were not playing well enough when the season started, but they have now found their feet. We are not a team I would like to play at home and I'm sure we will get quite a few more away points as we did last season.

Our issue is at home where most sides won't try to break us down, and the onus is for us to do more to make things happen. I think it means setting up differently at home against all but the top sides - but having a fully fit Kermogant in the side will make a big difference.
  • Options

We need money to go out and get a couple of loans, as has been said. Look north to the Wendies who've managed to bring in Fryatt and Wickham, you can see we're missing out. Come on the board, all we need are more options.

I think it has been said elsewhere in the thread the board sanctioned two loanees last monday - allegedly.

I don't blame CP for being cautious about who he brings in, the last time we were desperate for a loan striker we brought in Frank Nouble and over and above that our loanees haven not been spectacularly successful.
  • Options
    Yes speed in the fullback position offers great defensive protection but also gives the team far more tactical options going forward too.

We can line up in a basic 4-4-2 for most games and if we are playing against a tight diamond then speedy fullbacks can be our outlet on either side. Then if the opposition play with 5 in midfield then a fullback can step up whilst one of our widemen such as Pritch yesterday can move to a more central slot.

Where we want to be on the front foot and be more offensive, the FBs can bomb on beyond their wide midfielders as Willo and Wiggy did to great effect at St A's.

Goth is works far better for our boys and CP would play this most of the time in an ideal world!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    The fans at the end of the game......................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H78PssnGjYY
  • Options
    Blinding vid, no better feeling in football as a fan those those two mins on an away day when you've had a win.

though I think the world speed record for 'Chrissy Powell's red n white army' has finally been broken !
  • Options

Blinding vid, no better feeling in football as a fan those those two mins on an away day when you've had a win.

though I think the world speed record for 'Chrissy Powell's red n white army' has finally been broken !

On Radio Kent yesterday they left the live feed on after the commentary had finished. No better replication of that feeling in my living room.

Actually, I think if I was a t.v. producer I'd experiment with that as a format. Rather that cutting straight to ads or pundits at the end of a game, I'd have two mins of fan watching - no commentary, just chanting.
  • Options
    Another superb result and the impenetrable defence continues to perform admirably , long may that continue.
    How SCP has managed to marshall and galvanise us from the shoddy outfit , we were earlier in the season , to this finely tuned outfit is a testament to his and his back room staffs coaching ability.

0% Top 6 ........ 5% 7th-12th ............. 73% 13th-21st ........ 22% The big R
  • Options
    Bleakburn debt and Brum woes, administrations this season? Hard to imagine Brum have any saleable players, certainly nobody will want Nicola unless he is prepared to scrape by on a fraction of the money he is on. Bleakburn have Rhodes who is effective but championship standard no more than that. Met him and he's a nice bloke btw, but to lose him would be huge blow to their morale. Then there's us!
    When CP danced off yesterday after I'd spent the day laughing at Bartley I had that victory afterglow and found myself humming da da da da f........ useless along the M6.
    Wish it was all about football.
  • Options

Come on who are you? The club PR dept will be knocking for you early doors with the Old Bill...

I've never been a scrapper. I like a strongly worded letter rather than a 100%er to the head.

However, our club has got some class nutters but even they seem to have given up.

Some sarcy, Jack Whitehall Charlton types are strolling down the main road after the game taking the piss out of Birmingham, out of the fans and out of the club in general.

Not a word from anyone.

They wouldn't have gotten away with that a year ago.

http://www.smallheathalliance.com/read.php?1,1409257

We did have some absolute idiots singing "1-0 to the Londoners" and slagging off Birmingham as our exit come onto the main road with hundreds of Brum on it.

Usual suspects - teenage weird haircut crew. A couple of elder and tougher Brum lads did try starting it off with them and they pretty much shat themselves there and then.
  • Options
    Wasn't there but it strikes me that anyone giving it large at or near St. Andrews is either mega hard or completely stupid or at least that's how it used to be.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very subdued before and after. No atmosphere in ground other than that created by our end. In fact the seats nearest away end very sparsely populated. Shrinking crowds all over.
  • Options
    The bluenoses must be very demoralised. 14k at St. Andrews is very poor.
  • Options
    13,000 home fans is dire for a club that size. Proves how demoralised their fans have become over the last couple of years.
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

13,000 home fans is dire for a club that size. Proves how demoralised their fans have become over the last couple of years.

Did we take 1000 ?

• Options

E-cafc said:

Did we take 1000 ?

Just shy of that, 880, I read on the match thread
  • Options
    It`s an estimate, if you want correct figures look it up! For the info we took 855 out of 14,070
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    E-cafc said:

As we're being pedantic do you mean 13, 215 home fans ?

• Options
    great away day yesterday and team performance.
  • Options

E-cafc said:

As we're being pedantic do you mean 13, 215 home fans ?

Yes ;)

• Options
    cafctom said:

Come on who are you? The club PR dept will be knocking for you early doors with the Old Bill...

I've never been a scrapper. I like a strongly worded letter rather than a 100%er to the head.

However, our club has got some class nutters but even they seem to have given up.

Some sarcy, Jack Whitehall Charlton types are strolling down the main road after the game taking the piss out of Birmingham, out of the fans and out of the club in general.

Not a word from anyone.

We did have some absolute idiots singing "1-0 to the Londoners" and slagging off Birmingham as our exit come onto the main road with hundreds of Brum on it.

Usual suspects - teenage weird haircut crew. A couple of elder and tougher Brum lads did try starting it off with them and they pretty much shat themselves there and then.
    Saw that. Fair to say they wouldn't have got away with it on most previous visits to St Andrews. I suspect they will learn a harsh lesson eventually.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They wouldn`t have done that when we went up there for Sunday televised 4.3 game back in 95. There were no police at that game due to a dispute over payments with BCFC and the natives were not happy because we beat them. That was a heads down and take your chances on the way out scenario. We got picked out and charged at so had to retreat into the ground again. We ended up getting a lift to Brum Int station on the teamcoach about 2 hours after the game finished and there was still a mob of Brummies baying after our blood lol

The 0.0 in 98 wasn`t too clever either!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    No doubt that it's the same little group that ripped a seat up and paraded it outside hillsbrough. Nearly got a few innocent charlton fans a slap for that.

Anyway, great result yesterday and things starting to click.
  • Options

cafctom said:

Not a word from anyone.

Saw that. Fair to say they wouldn't have got away with it on most previous visits to St Andrews. I suspect they will learn a harsh lesson eventually.

NEVER forget the mushroom soup episode !!!
  • Options
    Feeling incredibly hungover today but that was another great team performance, we love playing away from home and I love watching it !
  • Options
    Great result.

Powell Out!
  • Options

Wasn't there but it strikes me that anyone giving it large at or near St. Andrews is either mega hard or completely stupid or at least that's how it used to be.

Right there, not a place to shout your mouth off.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Great result.

Powell Out!

Agreed , not exciting enough
  • Options
    Not a nice to place to go on any occassion, been there a couple of times and just kept me mouth shut.

Went once with a mate to see them play wrexham (what is now league 1) when our game away was postponed at watford in about 95 season.

We were drinking in that pub ouitside when one of the local idiots was bragging about bottling his bird, we took a hasty retreat to another pub.

Great day though as i got jasper carrots autograph and spent a few mins talking to barry Fry who said when they go up that year to write to him and he would gie me a couple of tickets....he got sacked a few months later even though brum went up.

On the match well done lads would have been bottom three had we lost just keeping our heads above water.

But we need another striker, look at the wendies when they have just signed two on loan we need to do it.
  • Options
    Just watched the highlights, looks like we take too long when shooting, always that extra touch which isnt needed. Church had a golden oppurtunity but got tackled because he took so long
  • Options

Just watched the highlights, looks like we take too long when shooting, always that extra touch which isnt needed. Church had a golden oppurtunity but got tackled because he took so long

Always one.