Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Birmingham City vs Charlton post-match news and views 2013

Comments

• Options
    Great result. Agree with HI as we really need Slater and the Money Lenders to dig deep for a CH and a forward on loan. Eight hours without conceding is outstanding but we can't rely on that continuing and if we do concede the best we can hope for is a draw. A win against Leeds will cement our revival. Pleased to see Wilson getting plaudits again as sometimes I think he isn't fully appreciated and Stephens is finally fulfilling his potential. There has always been a footballer in there but it's never really come out on a regular basis. Good to see Cousins still in the team even though Jacko is back. Well done all concerned.
  • Options

Make no mistake we absolutely battered a dire Birmingham team. I am dumbfounded that we have only scored 1 goal in that game.

Church was absolutely immense today and he got all the songs from the fans. He "gave us a wave". The combination worked well with him and Jacko in a 4-4-1-1 with some nice one touch flicks at times.

Stephens was classy and ran the game with Cousins a little quieter than normal. The defence were superb against a tricky CF.

Pritchard had an absolute stinker first half but credit to him and to the team talk by SCP because he really turned it around second half.

Stewart was predictable with his cut ins but I don't care because it was one of those that started the mini goal mouth scramble that we scored from.

Hamer untroubled but calm ad collected.

800 odd very loud and very happy addicks travelling back to London at the moment. The support was first class unlike Birminghams which didn't exist.

Referee was wearing a Birmingham shirt. I think he must have felt sorry for one of the worst sides I have ever seen. All of the decisions went there way, some of the fouls (one on Wilson and one on Church stand out in the mind) were laughable that they weren't given.

That was the worst CB pairing I've seen on an opposing team, it was like watching two donkeys play ...

We were very good today until we got in front of goal. I'm really buzzing.

This record of not conceding goals is amazing! It must have done Hamers confidence a world of good.

SCP - 100% support.

This.

Saves me posting but want to add that although I agree that Churchy and Stephens were immense, we shouldn't forget the return of our Captain Courageous. JJ worked his socks off and was almost on his knees when he was subbed. What a great role model and battler he is and his presence in the team should never be underestimated. This young man is fast becoming another of our true Legends.

A decent loan striker is on my Xmas wish list and I'm sure on the gaffer's too.

But there is NO question. As others have stated, this squad of players has its mojo back - it's close to being that close knit band of brothers from last season. No sign of contract worries from where I sit . So credit to all concerned, but most of all to SCP and his management team who have obviously worked their magic once again behind the scenes.

If recent results and resolute performances like we witnessed today don't equate to a decent home attendance next Saturday, then nothing will. Let's pull out the stops and get friends & family along to watch us fight the good fight against those "luverly" lads from Yorkshire. Their fans are going to be loud ( even if they only have one song) so let's make sure we make some noise !

Apart from the performance & display on the pitch, my day was enhanced further when 3 Lifers made a point of introducing themselves to me. Good to meet you Shrew, JohnnyK and BigAndy ! But how did you know that I was Fanny ?????

Onwards & upwards !!!

• Options

What are our two players doing in the background? Lol.

What a superb picture!

What has Simon Church done with his chest?

He looks like Herman Munster.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Injured during the goal MIA. Suspect he's thinking "Fuuuccckkkk it hurts!"
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

On the train home. Excellent second half performance, it must have been a good half-time team talk, after an average first half.
    CP chose a 4-4-1-1 formation, with Jacko in behind Church, to counter Clark's 4-2-3-1, with 5 in midfield. The first half was a disjointed performance with the odd spell of combination play, but overall both sides struggled against each others system.
    In the second half, we played at a quicker tempo, Stephens & Cousins took control of midfield, Wilson & Wiggins got down the outside and caused problems; Church ran his legs off chasing balls played into the channels; and we thoroughly deserved to take the lead. After going in front, we controlled the tempo of the game and deserved a bigger margin of victory.
    Birmingham were poor. No pattern to their play, other than high balls at Zigic. Burke caused a few problems in the first half, but Wiggins got the measure of him and shut him down. I'll be surprised if Clark sees out the week.
    Church was my MoM for his tireless work as lone striker. But I wouldn't argue against Stephens, Wiggins, Wilson or Morrison.
    Excellent job all round. Players, management and support.

You can always rely on Tutt-Tutt for a great report.

Super picture, that.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Posting without reading. My first away game of the season and the performance mirrored most of those away last year that brought home valuable wins. Without taking anything away from our boys Brum were poor, very very poor and were there for the taking but did we have enough firepower to take advantage. Three or four good chances went begging as we played some neat tidy football in the first half effectively with ten men as poor old Pritch could not do a thing right. Second half it was much of the same (except Pritch was much better) with the defence coping with anything that Brum were able to muster which normally was a far post ball for Zidic. Eventually the breakthrough came Stewart cut in for the umpteenth time but had a shot for a change which Randolph could only parry and after a melee which JJ reacted to first. The ball bounced of Pritch to Dale who could not miss. Brum upped the anti with a couple of substitutions and had a couple of desperate penalty claims turned aside. The usual last throw of the dice bombardment to Zidic's head was inevitable but came to nothing as the team defended as a unit and the back four were all worthy of yet another clean sheet. If I were a Brum fan I would fear for the drop, as for us onward and upwards and especially when our injury woes are behind us COYRs
  • Options
    Cheers for all your reports guys and girls.

Right in thinking Wiggins stepped up his game ?
  • Options
    They say a picture can say a thousands words... looks like Captain Jacko has sprung an extra set of arms , and a 3rd leg , oo er missus, like Dale's boots, don't make him angry, them is hulk boots.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Personally I think he has played ok of late but he set high standards for himself prior to the injury he picked up v Palace last season and I expect his crossing to be top draw which of course if it was he wouldn't be playing for us. He played well and is not far of a 9/10 once those final balls get better. Defensively very solid.
  • Options

My thoughts are that Rhoys is almost back to his best, AFKA.

Feel he's improved with each game over the past month, and his contributions to clean sheets in those matches shouldn't be overlooked.

Looks really fit again.....in more than one way ! :-)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers guys, good to hear
  • Options
    Millwall always seem to do us a massive favour , after giving them the obligatory 3 points , i said to my lads we would up our game and go on an unbeaten run , they laughed at me ,thought i was nuts.
  • Options
    That is a fantastic picture ("right on") !
    Where's it from - a poster or a news source?
  • Options
    Just back and what a fantastic result.

Must say, the first half was just a dire game of football from both teams, thought it was going to be a long day at half time.

Second half we really upped our game. Fantastic performance and could have had a few more without ever being troubled at the back.

A massive well done goes to Simon Church as he did not stop working and would not be surprised to see he's decided to run home (keep a look out if your driving down the M6).

Wilson played very well and has really grown into a good ronded player through the start of this season. Jackson was quite in terms of action, but you could see the affect his presence had on the side. Pritchy was very poor first half, but added a touch of control to his work rate in the second half.

Stephens ran the game and enjoyed the freedom of being able to push forward due to his trust in Cousins behind him.

Bak four were solid, thought we may have missed Wood but Dervite stepped in as if he had been there all season.

Finally, crowd were magnificent. Non-stop from start to finish and you could see at the end that the players and management team acknowledged this.

All in all a very enjoyable day out and fantastic result to keep our little resurgence going.
  • Options

Just back and what a fantastic result.

Must say, the first half was just a dire game of football from both teams, thought it was going to be a long day at half time.

Second half we really upped our game. Fantastic performance and could have had a few more without ever being troubled at the back.

A massive well done goes to Simon Church as he did not stop working and would not be surprised to see he's decided to run home (keep a look out if your driving down the M6).

Wilson played very well and has really grown into a good ronded player through the start of this season. Jackson was quite in terms of action, but you could see the affect his presence had on the side. Pritchy was very poor first half, but added a touch of control to his work rate in the second half.

Stephens ran the game and enjoyed the freedom of being able to push forward due to his trust in Cousins behind him.

Bak four were solid, thought we may have missed Wood but Dervite stepped in as if he had been there all season.

Finally, crowd were magnificent. Non-stop from start to finish and you could see at the end that the players and management team acknowledged this.

All in all a very enjoyable day out and fantastic result to keep our little resurgence going.

Jo said you particularly like' bring danny haynes on'

Taylor had fun
  • Options

17th, three points off the drop, not conceding and above millwall.

Come on the board help Chris out with some loan players

Sorry but the board apparently sanctioned funds and approaches have been made this week! Sign of a non supporting Board?
  • Options
    Great game and a really good day. We were good but my goodness Birmingham were bad.

I think I'll give up my home season ticket for an away pass.
  • Options

Tough place to go. Another excellent away result.

I really enjoyed the victory and the atmosphere in the Gil Merrick Stand but as a footballing spectacle we were poor particularly in the 1st half and Brum were tier 4 in (lack of) quality.

I think that the tightening of belts in the FL has seen the quality of players drop greatly!

• Options

Stephens fast becoming not just a key player but also a hero... Brilliant result well done team and fans who were there . We can build on the confidence and momentum with a few hungry striker loanees

Haven't heard us sing his name with such relish as we did this afternoon. Fair play young man.

But The Vicar endeared us when he closed down the Brum defence close to the corner flag with 15 mins to play. Poor old Jacko needed defibrillator as he tried to emulate him ;-)))
  • Options
    We controlled the game, especially in the second half. Reminded me of our away performances in league one. Contain first half, step up in the second and then stay strong and organised once ahead.

Difficult to pick players out, there was a real togetherness about them.

Church never stopped running and always gave their dodgy defenders something to worry about. Came close to getting through on goal a couple of times but the ball didn't break to him the way his effort deserved.

Wilson continued his recent great form, and Jackson straightaway brought the touch of calm and class that we all know he provides. Pritchard had a shocker first half but turned it round in the second. Stephens looked measured and confident, right place right time for the goal which his last few performances have merited. Nice to see that when we scored we had Pritch, Jacko, Stephens and Church all in the penalty area following up Stewart's shot.

Hamer came and claimed when he needed to.

Birmingham were terrible. They had one tactic which we (Morrison and Dervite) dealt with very well. Can imagine that Zigic detracts from what they could be if they didn't resort to the lump. That said, none of their other players looked much cop either.

All in all a very strong organised away performance, and one that we could have won by more had we made a few better decisions on the breakaway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Make no mistake we absolutely battered a dire Birmingham team. I am dumbfounded that we have only scored 1 goal in that game.

Church was absolutely immense today and he got all the songs from the fans. He "gave us a wave". The combination worked well with him and Jacko in a 4-4-1-1 with some nice one touch flicks at times.

Stephens was classy and ran the game with Cousins a little quieter than normal. The defence were superb against a tricky CF.

Pritchard had an absolute stinker first half but credit to him and to the team talk by SCP because he really turned it around second half.

Stewart was predictable with his cut ins but I don't care because it was one of those that started the mini goal mouth scramble that we scored from.

Hamer untroubled but calm ad collected.

800 odd very loud and very happy addicks travelling back to London at the moment. The support was first class unlike Birminghams which didn't exist.

Referee was wearing a Birmingham shirt. I think he must have felt sorry for one of the worst sides I have ever seen. All of the decisions went there way, some of the fouls (one on Wilson and one on Church stand out in the mind) were laughable that they weren't given.

That was the worst CB pairing I've seen on an opposing team, it was like watching two donkeys play ...

We were very good today until we got in front of goal. I'm really buzzing.

This record of not conceding goals is amazing! It must have done Hamers confidence a world of good.

SCP - 100% support.

This.

Saves me posting but want to add that although I agree that Churchy and Stephens were immense, we shouldn't forget the return of our Captain Courageous. JJ worked his socks off and was almost on his knees when he was subbed. What a great role model and battler he is and his presence in the team should never be underestimated. This young man is fast becoming another of our true Legends.

A decent loan striker is on my Xmas wish list and I'm sure on the gaffer's too.

But there is NO question. As others have stated, this squad of players has its mojo back - it's close to being that close knit band of brothers from last season. No sign of contract worries from where I sit . So credit to all concerned, but most of all to SCP and his management team who have obviously worked their magic once again behind the scenes.

If recent results and resolute performances like we witnessed today don't equate to a decent home attendance next Saturday, then nothing will. Let's pull out the stops and get friends & family along to watch us fight the good fight against those "luverly" lads from Yorkshire. Their fans are going to be loud ( even if they only have one song) so let's make sure we make some noise !

Apart from the performance & display on the pitch, my day was enhanced further when 3 Lifers made a point of introducing themselves to me. Good to meet you Shrew, JohnnyK and BigAndy ! But how did you know that I was Fanny ?????

Onwards & upwards !!!

Forgive this, but I can always spot a fanny - even in a crowd! Nice to meet you to, if only briefly. :-)
  • Options
    Great result today but Birmingham were so poor it was almost unreal. My only fear was that our lack of cutting edge was going to cost us but thankfully we managed to finally take one of the chances we carved out and held on for the win without too much trouble.

If Lee Clarke survives the weekend I would be very surprised he is presiding over one of the worst Championship sides I have ever seen, who could barely put 2 passes together and have no tactics other than to lump it to Zigic and hope for the best. The atmosphere around St Andrews seems to be one of resignation that they are going down and on that display they are not wrong.

We on the other hand we seem to have found a system that works for us and Dervite just came back in and replaced Wood and slotted in like he had never been away. Midfield did its job and mostly controlled things even with Pritch having a nightmare first half and Church worked tirelessly all day upfront even if his goal chances were limited. A fully fit Yann up top with Church would have made the job a whole lot easier.

Taking nothing away from the boys today on a comfortable away win but they have to say a big thank you to Birmingham for failing to turn up both on and off the pitch. Outplaying and outsinging Birmingham for the majority of the day made it a good day to be Charlton supporter in the midlands....COYR's
  • Options
    "Stephens was classy and ran the game with Cousins a little quieter than normal. The defence were superb against a tricky CF."

Studied the young man's display and he was top draw! For someone so young he read the play amazingly and perhaps the way he went about his business resulted in him not being seen to play so well.

Go and ask Morro, Dorian and in particular Dale as to how well he played!

• Options

Hey Macarena ;-)))
  • Options
    Hey Fanny - good to have met you whilst talking to Chris pre match!
  • Options
    "If Lee Clarke survives the weekend I would be very surprised he is presiding over one of the worst Championship sides I have ever seen, who could barely put 2 passes together and have no tactics other than to lump it to Zigic and hope for the best. The atmosphere around St Andrews seems to be one of resignation that they are going down and on that display they are not wrong."

Think he could be safe given the fact that his boss is locked up in clink in Malaysia on multiple corruption and money laundering charges which will result in the administrators being brought in by year end given Mr Zigic's exorbitant wages!
  • Options
    We need money to go out and get a couple of loans, as has been said. Look north to the Wendies who've managed to bring in Fryatt and Wickham, you can see we're missing out. Come on the board, all we need are more options.
  • Options
    A good Solid performance all round, don't want to take any of the credit from us but Birmingham were awful and I mean awful, and if we had a bit more quality going forwaed we would have smashed them today by 4 or 5.

Defence looked comfortable all game and Wiggins seems to be getting back to his best. Midfield were all over the place in the first half especially Pitchard , fair play to them though they got their act together in the second half and got the all important goal.
  • Options

We need money to go out and get a couple of loans, as has been said. Look north to the Wendies who've managed to bring in Fryatt and Wickham, you can see we're missing out. Come on the board, all we need are more options.

Maybe we shouldn't have wasted the summer budget on Gower and Sordell??