Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Random Facebook Status Thread.

Comments

• Options
    The point isn't to donate cash. The point is to raise awareness. I wasn't aware of the disease at all until these videos started coming up. So surely it's a good thing?

I done my challenge on Saturday. It was cold.
  • Options
    The problem is, the vast majority of people havent even mentioned ALS, what it is etc

Its got to the stage where its not about raising awareness or money, its purely about people doing it because everyone else is and ut seems the "cool" thing to do.

Ask the vast majority of people that have done it will not know what ALS stands for, what the disease is, how many people get it and the fact it cannot be treated.

Although i am happy that extra money has been donated for a good cause, im sure a lot if people havent actually donated.
  • Options
    I'm too old for farcebook but I've seen glimpses of this ice bucket chuff , what's the cause of the charity ?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    As sad as that story is, it's not really got anything to do with tipping a bucket of cold water on him, he was stupid enough to jump from high up into unknown water. I'm glad the papers aren't scaremongering another innocent internet craze!
  • Options
    The initial idea of the ice bucket challenge was to raise awareness of Lou Gehrig's disease by celebrities. I hate seeing what was a good idea corrupted by people who have no idea what it's for and just want their 5 secs of Facebook fame.
  • Options
    Completly with @afkabartram on this one, it doesnt matter that some people do it for jokes, or to be cool - what matters is the response it gets and the way a certain charity can gain money and visibility amongst the many (also worthwile) charities out there. Its a brilliant campaign that will provide them with the funding to achieve a lot more than they ever thought possible.

Its not about the means , its about the end result.
  • Options
    Agree in a sense with AFKABartram... My Grandad died of this horrible disease in 2002 and doubt I'll ever get the sight of him in the latter stages (Unable to do anything for himself) out of my head, the fact as well I'm dreading it happening to my Dad as well isnt just cos I dont want to see him go through it but it means I'd probably end up with it too.

Cancer is of course a nasty disease too (my other Grandad died of this) yet MND is so much worse yet seems to get absolutely no attention what so ever.

Its good that so much money is being raised but people need to be sensible and careful doing this challenge... Isnt exactly the height of English Summer and dont want people getting hypothermia or pneumonia doing this.
  • Options
    No one does it for 'Facebook fame' people do it as they get nominated to. The more people nominated the more it spreads awareness.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't understand why when something is doing no harm and raising awareness as well as funds it gets knocked. FB is very much a take it or leave it subject, the bucket challenge certainly raised my awareness of this issue, like my involvement with the Upbeats raised my awareness to Down Syndrome and my association via one of my dogs with three or four youngsters has done with Autism three subjects I would never got involved with had it not be for CL and FB, sure if people read my page and saw my dogs being spoken about like they a human would rightly think he's lost it. But the parents who read it to their children as well as show them them numerous pictures that are placed there for them to see constantly tell me that it makes a difference and that's reward enough for me.. I remember getting involved with CL back some 7+ years ago I wanted to play on the Sacred grass of The Valley and playing a small part in raising in excess of 35k, something I personally don't think will ever be matched the people that organised that to some are considered a clique CL gets criticism because it's successful, FB gets criticism for the same reason. As my old Mum says " if you can't say nothing nice, say nothing" ;)
  • Options
    Someone on my newsfeed has put an article about the waste of water from the ice bucket challenge.....bore off.

Having a pop at people for putting icy water over themselves and making a donation to a charity is embarrassing.
  • Options
    s

Here's an absolute pearler of a status from one of my 'friends' last night:

"at times like these, you know who youre friends are and whose your enemies"

I don't even know where to begin with that. Oh wait - yes I do

UNFRIEND

Notwithstanding the poor grammar... were they were referring to the person who nominated them for the ice bucket challenge?

• Options
    Think it was @JT that retweeted someone saying that if you leave the tap on whilst brushing your teeth you've wasted allot more water than someone chucking a bucket of water over their heads. Well said!

Some people really are miserable w*nkers, where's the harm in raising awareness and a bit of more money for a very decent charity.
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

Think it was @JT that retweeted someone saying that if you leave the tap on whilst brushing your teeth you've wasted allot more water than someone chucking a bucket of water over their heads. Well said!

Some people really are miserable w*nkers, where's the harm in raising awareness and a bit of more money for a very decent charity.

You done yours yet?
  • Options
    The ice bucket "challenge" would really only be a challenge for someone that has no arms, legs, mates and video phone.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I deactivated my Facebook account years ago, shortly after reading the status update:

'Just having a cup of tea and thinking about doing the ironing'.
  • Options
    'Worst night sleep ever :-('

Thank you, thank you so much for that.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

The point isn't JUST to donate cash. The point is to raise awareness. I wasn't aware of the disease at all until these videos started coming up. So surely it's a good thing?

I done my challenge on Saturday. It was cold.

Amended for you.

As I understand it for Motor Neurone (The UK name for ALS) people are going by:

It's a £5.00 donation minimum if you do the challenge or £10.00 minimum if you don't.
  • Options
    People who randomly post song lyrics... do me a favour...
  • Options
    You'll be pleased to know that the owner of Upjest has just nominated Big Bob to do the Ice Bucket Challenge.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

You'll be pleased to know that the owner of Upjest has just nominated Big Bob to do the Ice Bucket Challenge.

Brave brave man...