Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peter Varney heading takeover??

Comments

• Options
    Addickted said:

So it's been leaked to the Sports Editor of the South London Press.

Not The Sun, or the Mirror or The Mail, or the Liverpool Echo or the Croydon Advertiser or........

Doesn't that speak volumes?

The nationals won't be interested in this until we start buying the likes of Messi and Ronaldo
  • Options
    I refuse to consider this as a viable opportunity until we see or hear of more from Cawley or PV

Dont underestimate the sheer stupidity and narrow mindedness of the current owner and main backer where postitioning the club to prospective buyers are

• Options
    edited April 2013
    It's all bullshit. Varney is more likely assisting in building youth projects to make this Kuwaiti group seem interested whilst they find a club to look at.
    If they are finding a club they aren't after us as I'm sure Varney knows where we are.
  • Options
    Would seem to me that the new Kuwait company is the vehicle for a deal that's already been agreed. Varney is well respected and experienced at that level so, sadly, it could be any one of a number of clubs - would love it to be us but I fear it's not.
  • Options

Would seem to me that the new Kuwait company is the vehicle for a deal that's already been agreed. Varney is well respected and experienced at that level so, sadly, it could be any one of a number of clubs - would love it to be us but I fear it's not.

Your fears are confirmed...it's not us.

• Options
    What does JTs brother have to say about it all is what I want to know.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Good luck to PV in his new role.

My opinion---it has f++k all to do with CAFC and as its coming up to the close season a small paper is attempting to give it legs.
  • Options
    WSAWSA
    edited April 2013
    Does conflict of interest go against us in this appointment?

Unless the deal is done, of course.
  • Options
    Like others have said, Cawley does have good contacts within and around cafc. This story has obviously been given to him, and he hasn't gone with it because he thinks the SLP readership are that excited by Varneys next job. We shall see.....
  • Options

Looking at the state of QPR at the moment you'd have to wonder why Fernandes bought them and not us - we have far greater long term potential than QPR and a much better existing infrastructure and fan base.

We have debt - who doesn't? - but we have a 28,000 capacity stadium slap bang in the middle of the biggest growth corridor in Britain, the Thames Gateway.

What's more, we have the whole of Kent and much of SE London from which to attract fans and have no competing Premier League rivals near us - poor old QPR are squeezed badly by Chelsea and, to a lesser extent, Fulham.

At the time QPR probably seemed the better bet as they were in the PL but I think - admittedly from a biased perspective - that Charlton would have been a much shrewder investment in the longer term.

Ok, I'll buy it. You are some salesman, Ormy :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob62 said:

Like others have said, Cawley does have good contacts within and around cafc. This story has obviously been given to him, and he hasn't gone with it because he thinks the SLP readership are that excited by Varneys next job. We shall see.....

What he said
  • Options
    If pv was to be that heavily involved in another club he surely could not continue his work for CACT?
  • Options
    razil said:

If pv was to be that heavily involved in another club he surely could not continue his work for CACT?

Why not?
  • Options

Can we just get on with the cock jokes now?
  • Options
    The debt to former directors and the amount that they are prepared to write off is what will determine investment. Anyone that thinks it is because of the "attitude" of current owners is probably off beam.
  • Options
    Very amusing that people on here view Cawley as the worst Journo in the world when he is "breaking" transfer news.

All of a sudden he leaks a snippet that everyone wants to be true and he is a man with good sources and as such it must be true.
  • Options
    Is Cawley a Charlton Supporter ?
  • Options
    He supports Crawley.
  • Options

Is Cawley a Charlton Supporter ?

Fulham, I think.
    Could it be that Varney has a new job, Varney has Charlton links, SLP simply report it because of this?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's going to be a fun summer ... yet again!
  • Options

Looking at the state of QPR at the moment you'd have to wonder why Fernandes bought them and not us - we have far greater long term potential than QPR and a much better existing infrastructure and fan base.

We have debt - who doesn't? - but we have a 28,000 capacity stadium slap bang in the middle of the biggest growth corridor in Britain, the Thames Gateway.

What's more, we have the whole of Kent and much of SE London from which to attract fans and have no competing Premier League rivals near us - poor old QPR are squeezed badly by Chelsea and, to a lesser extent, Fulham.

At the time QPR probably seemed the better bet as they were in the PL but I think - admittedly from a biased perspective - that Charlton would have been a much shrewder investment in the longer term.

Isn't West Ham quite close then (and getting closer by all accounts)?
  • Options
    edited April 2013

The debt to former directors and the amount that they are prepared to write off is what will determine investment. Anyone that thinks it is because of the "attitude" of current owners is probably off beam.

I don't think that's true. The debt to former directors - except I think part of the debt to Murray - is only payable on promotion and isn't that significant in terms of the PL revenue. The larger issue is that the current directors' loans - and it is doubtful they are the ultimate source of the money - would be part of the price and the expectation of recovering them may be unrealistic. Repayment of these after promotion might make sense, but may not be acceptable.

Rich Cawley is a Fulham supporter. Of course he has been given the story. It has marginal news value of itself. The Kuwaitis have visited Charlton. However, I wouldn't put the two things together at the moment.

• Options
    From football economy site ::

Former Charlton chief executive Peter Varney has been appointed as chief executive of a Kuwaiti company seeking to make investments in European football. KEH were founded in 2008 and up to now have focused on real estate, tourism and health care.

KEH have extensive property investments interests in Sussex, including a major property development at Newhaven which includes a water park. They also own the Ambassador hotel on the Eastbourne seafront.

Protracted talks to take over Blue Square South outfit Eastbourne Borough collapsed recently. The plan had been to invest heavily in the club to take them to the Football League. It is understood that a key member of KEH studied English in the town and developed a liking for it.

It is not believed that the Kuwaitis have any interest in Charlton Athletic which is understood to be still open to new investors. There have been tensions in relations between Varney and the Charlton board since he left the club.

These developments suggest that the market for investment from the Middle East in European football is not dead, but it is not known how much money KEH have at their dispsoal. The Eastbourne talks broke down over assurances about the future of the club.
  • Options
    Loco said:

From football economy site ::

Former Charlton chief executive Peter Varney has been appointed as chief executive of a Kuwaiti company seeking to make investments in European football. KEH were founded in 2008 and up to now have focused on real estate, tourism and health care.

KEH have extensive property investments interests in Sussex, including a major property development at Newhaven which includes a water park. They also own the Ambassador hotel on the Eastbourne seafront.

Protracted talks to take over Blue Square South outfit Eastbourne Borough collapsed recently. The plan had been to invest heavily in the club to take them to the Football League. It is understood that a key member of KEH studied English in the town and developed a liking for it.

It is not believed that the Kuwaitis have any interest in Charlton Athletic which is understood to be still open to new investors. There have been tensions in relations between Varney and the Charlton board since he left the club.

These developments suggest that the market for investment from the Middle East in European football is not dead, but it is not known how much money KEH have at their dispsoal. The Eastbourne talks broke down over assurances about the future of the club.

Wanting to buy Eastbourne and owning a hotel on the seafront doesn't exactly thrill.

• Options

Not doubting it's true, just not counting my chickens. If this is all true and Varney is leading another takeover he's a huge legend in my eyes.

Don't mention the "c" word !!!!!

• Options
    Knowing us we'll soon have confirmed interest from the Iranian fella that owns a 2* B&B on Plumstead high street.
  • Options
    If he's bringing the Russian birds that 'work' there it's fine by me.
  • Options
    Can I register my expected disapointment in advance?

Thanks