Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peter Varney heading takeover??

Comments

• Options
    Almonds said:

vff said:

vff said:

richcawleySLP joined.
    Welcome Aboard!
    9:43PM Comment

I will be happy if it turns out to be true, but I still will believe it when I see it and it happens.

I can't find any mention of KEH Sports anywhere and not on the KEH website. What kind of a press release is it that only exists on the SLP and nowhere else on the web?

Of course its bloomin true !! It would have been put Cawley's way though, he doesn't monitor the world for minor press releases !

Not sure why you would he happy though, its just saying Varney has a job. Nothing to say it is going to Charlton related or.football related.

It could well be a complete co-incidence that Kuwati's have been rumoured looking at the club in recent months, though said rumours also suggested that interest had cooled.

Varney is widely respected, knows football and knows how to put takeovers together / oversee change. I expect them to be linked with a club relatively soon if their status and individuals are now being publicly put out there
    I was thinking about a legit take over of Charlton which had some involvement from Peter Varney would make me happy, not the alleged job with KEH, though thats great and all. Not quite sure what RC gets up to or why he would be receiving a minor press release. Surely minor press releases hit the internet or else they are not making much of a splash or I am missing something there ?
    maybe @richcawleySLP could tell you ?
    The stage is set.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Lead to believe Cawley knows PV personally... So it may even have been PV himself who "tipped off" the SLP for an exclusive.

Well considering it looks like there was no official press release , this looks highly likely.
  • Options
    vff said:

vff said:

richcawleySLP joined.
    Welcome Aboard!
    9:43PM Comment

I will be happy if it turns out to be true, but I still will believe it when I see it and it happens.

I can't find any mention of KEH Sports anywhere and not on the KEH website. What kind of a press release is it that only exists on the SLP and nowhere else on the web?

Of course its bloomin true !! It would have been put Cawley's way though, he doesn't monitor the world for minor press releases !

Not sure why you would he happy though, its just saying Varney has a job. Nothing to say it is going to Charlton related or.football related.

It could well be a complete co-incidence that Kuwati's have been rumoured looking at the club in recent months, though said rumours also suggested that interest had cooled.

Varney is widely respected, knows football and knows how to put takeovers together / oversee change. I expect them to be linked with a club relatively soon if their status and individuals are now being publicly put out there
    I was thinking about a legit take over of Charlton which had some involvement from Peter Varney would make me happy, not the alleged job with KEH, though thats great and all. Not quite sure what RC gets up to or why he would be receiving a minor press release. Surely minor press releases hit the internet or else they are not making much of a splash or I am missing something there ?
    It's been given to Cawley, I cannot find the press release anywhere else.

Either

1, cawley has been given this to give to us
    2, cawleys broken an embargo
  • Options
    Would it be in a national paper tomorrow if true?
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Can't see any reason why it would unless there was imminent take over talks with a specific club.

• Options

It may be now.
  • Options

I would think so

• Options

A T/O by deeper-pocketed investors would be a good thing, especially if it arrives soon and allows CP to invest in new players in the close season. But just because PV has a new job (I thought he had retired?) does not automatically mean that he's spear-heading a T/O of Charlton.

If you read Richard Cawley's original message he doesn't make that claim but no doubt has worded it carefully in order to allow people to assume that is the logical reason why he's just been appointed to this job. Why did he get the scoop? Who knows, presumably he knows PV...
  • Options
    Although the saying 'don't believe everything you read in the papers' phrase rings true , it doesn't have to be true for them to print it ?
  • Options
    Thinking about it, there aren't many clubs of our size that don't have exotic foreign owners or backers.

Cardiff, Hull, Watford, Forest, Leicester, Leeds etc all have foreign backing, as have relegated Reading and QPR.

Of the other Championship clubs, some are too small for a serious investment to make sense (Peterborough, Barnsley), scummy (Millwall), already have wealthy backers (Ipswich), or already have wacky backers (Blackburn) etc

So unless they want to buy an established PL club (e.g. West Ham, West Brom), we'd be one of the obvious targets.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This thread has had four and a half thousand views in less than four hours. There's nothing like a good old "take over" thread to boost traffic.
  • Options
    All the scoop says is that PV has a new job with KEH, who want to invest in football, and I am 100% sure that much is true. It says nothing about a takeover of us, or indeed any other club. That the potential target club could be Charlton is just guesswork...
  • Options

Thinking about it, there aren't many clubs of our size that don't have exotic foreign owners or backers.

Cardiff, Hull, Watford, Forest, Leicester, Leeds etc all have foreign backing, as have relegated Reading and QPR.

Of the other Championship clubs, some are too small for a serious investment to make sense (Peterborough, Barnsley), scummy (Millwall), already have wealthy backers (Ipswich), or already have wacky backers (Blackburn) etc

So unless they want to buy an established PL club (e.g. West Ham, West Brom), we'd be one of the obvious targets.

Good Point . I can't see Arab investors dealing with the owners of West Ham either.
  • Options

All the scoop says is that PV has a new job with KEH, who want to invest in football, and I am 100% sure that much is true. It says nothing about a takeover of us, or indeed any other club. That the potential target club could be Charlton is just guesswork...

It could be Gillingham or Millwall?

• Options

Or Crystal Palace who may be playing in the premiership next season....

• Options

Doesn't Paul Scally have a business in the middle east ?
  • Options
    What about Leyton Orient?
  • Options

Doesn't Paul Scally have a business in the middle east ?
    Middle of East Medway .

• Options

Palace are certainly an option, but their ground is inferior to ours, they need a new ground, whereas ours is largely built already.

Besides, can you really see Peter Varney leading a takeover of Crystal Palace :-)
  • Options

Palace are certainly an option, but their ground is inferior to ours, they need a new ground, whereas ours is largely built already.

Besides, can you really see Peter Varney leading a takeover of Crystal Palace :-)
    I know its like asking is the pope catholic , but stranger things have happened in football...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    SLP are quoting KEH now...

It is a newly-formed subsidiary of the Kuwaiti European Holding Company and Varney's role will be to oversee the group's planned and future investment in UK football.
    Dr Abdulla Alhumaidi, chairman of the Kuwaiti European Holding Company, said: "We are delighted to have secured the services of Peter Varney to this key new role in UK operations.
    "He has a wealth of experience in the football sector and I very much look forward to working with him on our proposed range of current and future football-related projects."
  • Options
    Looking at the state of QPR at the moment you'd have to wonder why Fernandes bought them and not us - we have far greater long term potential than QPR and a much better existing infrastructure and fan base.

We have debt - who doesn't? - but we have a 28,000 capacity stadium slap bang in the middle of the biggest growth corridor in Britain, the Thames Gateway.

What's more, we have the whole of Kent and much of SE London from which to attract fans and have no competing Premier League rivals near us - poor old QPR are squeezed badly by Chelsea and, to a lesser extent, Fulham.

At the time QPR probably seemed the better bet as they were in the PL but I think - admittedly from a biased perspective - that Charlton would have been a much shrewder investment in the longer term.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Really do believe something may come of this... Of any "football-related projects", we are going to be in the forefront of PV's mind if past conquests are anything to go by.

Also, the fact that there are no visable press-releases suggests that PV has told RC. If it wasn't going to be CAFC related, why would he have bothered; being CAFC fan himself and knowing it will lead others on.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Come on Peter, you know you want to..........
  • Options
    Ye I reckon it's true
  • Options
    Not doubting it's true, just not counting my chickens. If this is all true and Varney is leading another takeover he's a huge legend in my eyes.
  • Options
    Just out of interest, how much is charlton worth now?? say they do make a bid to take over the club, what price would they offer jimenez and co to buy charlton??
  • Options
    So much speculation and no doubt much more to come.

For the moment I'll just say congratulations to PV for getting a new and exciting job.
  • Options

http://keh-kw.com/

MANAGEMENT STRUCTURE

Abdulatif Al Nami - CEO
    Muneera Al Humaidi - Marketing Manager
    Mohammed Al Ghanim - Sales Manager
    Abdullah Al Gharabally - Head of Finance Department
    Majid Al Thafeeri - Operations Manager
    Ahmed Raouf - Operations Manager (Egypt)
    Dominic Howson - Operations Manager (UK)
    Yasser Al Samman - Overseas Projects Manager

I have it good authority these guys are all Spurs fans...
  • Options
    So it's been leaked to the Sports Editor of the South London Press.

Not The Sun, or the Mirror or The Mail, or the Liverpool Echo or the Croydon Advertiser or........

Doesn't that speak volumes?