Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes

Comments

• Options
    The frustrating thing about Bell isn't that he's poor, quite the opposite - it's that he has all the technique to be world class. Gets himself in and makes a pretty 35 before getting out, which is a shame, if he was converting more we'd be so strong to 5 - especially if Root lives up to his potential.

• Options
    What an awful decision
  • Options
    Again
  • Options
    How'd he get away with that?!
  • Options
    Bit of revenge! Got very unlucky on the Agar and Trott decisions, so it's nice to get a bit of 'luck' back.
  • Options
    Surprised Broad didn't walk to be fair, it was so obvious
  • Options
    Shame :-)
  • Options
    Awful decision, evens it up a bit! Think a few would have walked.
  • Options
    The most unbelieveably bad decision I can seriously recall.

Broad MASSIVELY edged the ball to 1st slip. (Stevie Wonder would have seen it - apologies) & he just stood there & the umpire didn't give it. Aussies had used up all their appeals.

Mind you, what goes around .......
  • Options
    WSS said:

Surprised Broad didn't walk to be fair, it was so obvious

Why? Umpires have forgotten how to umpire in the digital age. Good on Broad
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agar was out. Trott wasn't. Broad well within his rights not to walk. What goes around comes around.
  • Options
    I can't believe Broad didn't walk. I'm shocked.
  • Options

reckon we will be just shy of a 300 lead by cop

What number are you batting at?
  • Options
    Why would any Englishman walk when not only did the Aussies appeal for one that Trott hit, but then review it, and then when the fool of a 3rd umpire gives it out, they don't call him back when they see it on the big screen. Any right they had to expect an opponent to walk vanished right then.
  • Options

Why would any Englishman walk when not only did the Aussies appeal for one that Trott hit, but then review it, and then when the fool of a 3rd umpire gives it out, they don't call him back when they see it on the big screen. Any right they had to expect an opponent to walk vanished right then.

It just not cricket.
  • Options

It just not cricket.
  • Options

Make you right to be fair.

Good for us as these two have been ticking along nicely.
  • Options
    I am in the should have walked brigade, but it is funny to see the look on the three Aussies faces, never have they looked so much like convicts and then there is Broad nonchalantly walking down the pitch, butter would not melt in his mouth, wouldn't fancy playing poker against him.
  • Options
    The 3rd umpire could have corrected the decision - mind you he hasn't got much right when asked to judge previously. "Sniggers" at getting one back against the Aussies. Broad should have walked though as a proper Englishman pip pip.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bell is one of our technically best players but has rarely delivered to how good his technique is. Always thought he would end up like ramprakash in being technically brilliant but lacking mentally.

Broad makes a thin edge to keeper, keeper fluffs it and first slip catches it. Wasn't as obvious as you think. Replays shows he got it wrong though. Agreed technology has made umpires a lot more conservative in their decisions. But still think referral system is necessary.

Whinging Aussies!
  • Options
    bc_addick said:

The 3rd umpire could have corrected the decision - mind you he hasn't got much right when asked to judge previously. "Sniggers" at getting one back against the Aussies. Broad should have walked though as a proper Englishman pip pip.

can he adjudicate if he has not been asked?

• Options
    bc_addick said:

then what would be the point of having on field umpires? We could just do it from a tv set in a room somewhere
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I wasn't suggesting he should correct it I said he Could have corrected it. If the Aussies hadn't used all their challenges then he would have given it out.
  • Options

bc_addick said:

then what would be the point of having on field umpires? We could just do it from a tv set in a room somewhere
    We pretty much do now.

• Options
    Imagine if Broad had have walked, he'd be getting tons of criticism from English fans, so in a way he's screwed whatever he does. Against most teams, I'd say he should've walked, but the Aussies have a history of being scum when it comes to 'gentlemanly' play so I'm not too bothered.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    with all the fuss about Broad not walking.........can someone tell me what the umpires are there for then ?? The way I see it, especially now with DRS, if the fielding side think they have a batsman out, they appeal to the umpire - and he makes his decision. End of. Both teams now have the chance to question at least 2 decisions - in this case the Aussies had used up their referrals so they had to stick with the umpire original decision.
  • Options
    Bit of a shame for Bell that his fine innings will be over-shadowed.

The Broad incident is like a dive in football - not sporting as such but most of the players would do it.
  • Options
    he should've walked due to etiquette he should've stayed because its the ashes and they cheated twice yesterday

no big deal move on imo
  • Options
    Agree with golfie... The whole spirit of cricket thing is largely a myth. Only a few walk, and their team mates question it. Bad call by the umpire, but the Aussies would have reviews left if they hadn't wasted them
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!