Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes

Can someone explain why after there being a series here in the summer, we then play them again out there in November.

Is it normal to play 2 series so close together?

Comments

• Options
    cricket world cup the year after i believe
  • Options
    The series kept clashing (or leaving only a couple of months gap) with the scheduled world cup every four years and I don't think ICC liked it.
  • Options

The series kept clashing (or leaving only a couple of months gap) with the scheduled world cup every four years and I don't think ICC liked it.

Correct Callum, the cricket World Cup always appeared straight after an Ashes series, and Oz and England didnt think it helped them in the WC by expending so much energy in the Ashes, therefore they wanted to move the series held in Oz to the year before to avoid the clash. It will always be this way from now on, although i have a feeling that the next Ashes series in England after this one has also been brought forward by a year, to 2016, to try to get that 15 month gap again.
    As confirmed by this...http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-chat/43660-why-we-getting-ashes-2016-a.html
  • Options
    BTW, i was on the Ballot at both Lords and Oval and got nothing (if you consider, for approx 220,000 tickets there were a lot of people who didnt get them) - i wonder how many tickets they could have sold if, for example, they played one of the Test Matches at the Olympic Stadium?
    Maybe i should start up 2 new threads?!... 1) Test match at Olympic stadium and 2) (which i will do anyway) Any Ashes Ticktes for sale ? - i'm sure there must be some floating around amongst Addicks that might want to sell nearer the fixtures.

• Options
    Australia are holding the next World Cup, so didn't want that in the same summer(winter) as the Ashes down under, so it was brough forward a year. Then they've moved the following home Ashes forward to bring back the gap, which also has the effect of having lots of Ashes matches, i.e. big attendances, commercial revenue...

I got a ticket for the old trafford test, which i think clashes with the really early strat of the football season!
  • Options
    The Olympic Stadium would have made a great cricket venue but alas....
  • Options
    Have they sold day 5 tickets yet or will they go on sale the morning of day 5?
  • Options
    I've got day 5 tickets as well as day 3 so they have been on sale.
  • Options
    Ah damm, was hoping to turn up to lords/ovalon day 5 and get in, will have to watch on the telebox instead!
  • Options

Yep, first ever i think where they have sold day 5 tickets the same as the other 4.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The Olympic Stadium would have made a great cricket venue but alas....

Essex want to play their 20/20 games there on a friday night .....
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/22044029
  • Options

Certainly they sold day 5 for The Oval in advance (and it's sold out), I don't know about the other grounds.

There's always the home series against the Kiwis instead...
  • Options

Certainly they sold day 5 for The Oval in advance (and it's sold out), I don't know about the other grounds.

There's always the home series against the Kiwis instead...
    Lords sold day 5 too. Dont think the other (non London) venues did
  • Options

BTW, i was on the Ballot at both Lords and Oval and got nothing (if you consider, for approx 220,000 tickets there were a lot of people who didnt get them) - i wonder how many tickets they could have sold if, for example, they played one of the Test Matches at the Olympic Stadium?
    Maybe i should start up 2 new threads?!... 1) Test match at Olympic stadium and 2) (which i will do anyway) Any Ashes Ticktes for sale ? - i'm sure there must be some floating around amongst Addicks that might want to sell nearer the fixtures.

I missed out on Lord's and Oval tickets so on a whim gave the Durham box office a call. The fella asked how many tickets I wanted and for which day; they had loads left. I guess that at 80 quid a pop it's deemed too much for the locals but i will be going up and back in a day from Kings X for 25 quid return. (Fingers crossed, train tickets not on sale yet.)
  • Options
    Missed out. Got tickets for Essex vs England... Lambs to the slaughter on current form
  • Options
    Sometimes people in the rest of the country complain that London gets too many matches, with both Lords and the Oval getting key test matches. The sell outs in London explain why...

I bought a ticket for Old Trafford, previously (for Australia and India) I've gone to Egbaston, and there were plenty others on the train from London!
  • Options

Sometimes people in the rest of the country complain that London gets too many matches, with both Lords and the Oval getting key test matches. The sell outs in London explain why...

I bought a ticket for Old Trafford, previously (for Australia and India) I've gone to Egbaston, and there were plenty others on the train from London!

Exactly,
    However, London test matches also attrract people from all over the South - after all, the catchment area probably covers,Surrey,Middx,Essex,Kent,Sussex,Hants,Somerset and also all the Southern counties without a county team such as Dorset,Wiltshire etc.Thats a lot of people.The only other ground with any International games is Rose Bowl in the South.
    IF you think about it, Trent Bridge,Manchester,Leeds and Chester-Le-Street are all very (relatively) close.
  • Options
    Nottingham is a lot closer to London than it is to Chester-le-Street
  • Options
    Jints said:

Nottingham is a lot closer to London than it is to Chester-le-Street

Its norf of Watford. !!
  • Options
    Yeah, forgot to factor in the time spent at passport control!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Can someone explain why after there being a series here in the summer, we then play them again out there in November.

Q1: Money. England-Australia is a big global money spinner and guaranteed to get the Asian nations who aren't so bothered about Test cricket any more to tune in.

Q2: It happens, England are playing NZ this spring having just finished a series down under and in recent years there have been home/away series with SA, WI, Bangladesh and other nations.

• Options

It is purely to do with the scheduling of the WC. England have moaned for years that a southern hemisphere WC always follows an Ashes away tour. They have lobbied for years to get it changed. Never seemed to bother Australia!
    Australia are also over here again in 2015 but I don't know why.

Then in 2019, when we host the world cup!! Crazy.
  • Options
    Lords have sold 5th day tickets for the last two Ashes series. They have been cheap and just ground admission. I bought 5 in 2009 and what a wonderful 90mins or so we had. Freddie at his best.
  • Options
    They were £20 this year, well worth the risk.
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

They were £20 this year, well worth the risk.

There's no risk. Full refund if play doesn't go to 5th day.
  • Options
    Aussie have named their squad. No Mitchell Johnson which is a shame......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/22264911

• Options
    Nor Cummins - obviously dont think he will have recovered in time from his back op.
    Strange inclusion in Rogers - age 35 !
  • Options
    KP now also out for Champions Trophy.
  • Options
    Chris Rogers has plenty of experience of playing in English conditions and Australia need a bit of ballast at the top of the order. At 35 he's not going to be a long-term solution but they need someone to bat in the top three who can hang around for a while. He's another player who if he were a few years younger would have a couple of dozen Tests to his name - unfortunately for him he was kept out by Langer and Hayden.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    It's going to be tough. Remember 1989 when ARB brought over the "worst, most inexperienced squad ever"? We got hammered.
    I was extremely confident of success in 2010/11, although they still had Ponting and Hussey plus Clarke they were simply a poor, poor side.
    Australia has suffered bad results, bad luck and public humiliation over the past 12m. Beware, we all know what happens when you pull the lion's kangaroo’s tail don't we?

I still think we'll win, but no walk-over.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!