Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Ashes

Comments

• Riviera said:

It's going to be tough. Remember 1989 when ARB brought over the "worst, most inexperienced squad ever"? We got hammered.
    I was extremely confident of success in 2010/11, although they still had Ponting and Hussey plus Clarke they were simply a poor, poor side.
    Australia has suffered bad results, bad luck and public humiliation over the past 12m. Beware, we all know what happens when you pull the lion's kangaroo’s tail don't we?

I still think we'll win, but no walk-over.

Agree. Wont be easy against the likes of Starc and Pattinson, however, if Clarke has a poor tournament or is injured, then they are going to be in BIG trouble with their batting.
    The diff between this team and the team of 89 is that because of the WOrldwide coverage of all cricket, we know they are shit now, whereas we didnt know anything about them then- and they had some world class players - Waugh,Taylor etc.
  • Not strictly true. Taylor had hardly played Test cricket before that tour, Steve Waugh had been around a while but had not pulled up any trees and Boon had a pretty torrid time against us home and away before. As for Merv Hughes, well we all just treated him as a joke after Botham had demolished him in Oz.
    Not so much about worldwide coverage of cricket, more about how old you are and how much remember and how much you love it!
    We'd been on a pretty good run against Australia then but shot ourse;ves in the foot when Ossie Wheatley vetoed the re-appointment of Gatt as captain. A crass move which more than anything
  • I can't believe that the Lords Test is on the same time as The Open !! scandalous !! That has really mucked up the weekends viewing - I'm sure they could have moved it a week later or something............its not as if they didn't know what days the Open is being played.
  • Australia sack coach Mickey Arthur. Shambles!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/
  • Lehmann replaced as coach... As bad as things are for England (and they really aren't that bad), we can always laugh at the Aussies. Pietersen marked his return from injury with a ton fifty. We need him back.

I don't know if I want a close, exciting series, or 5 crushing, humiliating victories (weather permitting). both would be enjoyable in their own ways. I got into cricket in the 90s, so I still fell like we owe the Aussies plenty
  • They've sacked Arthur?

Damn :-(
  • McBobbin said:

Lehmann replaced as coach... As bad as things are for England (and they really aren't that bad), we can always laugh at the Aussies. Pietersen marked his return from injury with a ton fifty. We need him back.

I don't know if I want a close, exciting series, or 5 crushing, humiliating victories (weather permitting). both would be enjoyable in their own ways. I got into cricket in the 90s, so I still fell like we owe the Aussies plenty

i ll take the 5 crushing ,humiliating victories please (in our favour) !

• Lehmann would be a good choice .. a real dinkum true blue fosters blooded ozzie .. how a South African like Arthur was expected to get the necessary respect from a bunch of ozzie oiks is a question well worth asking
  • Lehmann would be a good choice .. a real dinkum true blue fosters blooded ozzie .. how a South African like Arthur was expected to get the necessary respect from a bunch of ozzie oiks is a question well worth asking

No it isn't. It's not about nationality, it's about competency - Andy Flower seems to have the 'necessary respect' for example.

No it isn't. It's not about nationality, it's about competency - Andy Flower seems to have the 'necessary respect' for example.
    No it isn't what ? .. 1/2 of Flower's team are one time South Africans .. and we are talking Australians here, not equable & fair minded Brits
  • Sponsored links:

• More importantly, KP was utterly brilliant yesterday on return from injury for Surrey scoring 177 NO
  • edited June 2013

Lehmann would be a good choice .. a real dinkum true blue fosters blooded ozzie .. how a South African like Arthur was expected to get the necessary respect from a bunch of ozzie oiks is a question well worth asking

No it isn't what ? .. 1/2 of Flower's team are one time South Africans .. and we are talking Australians here, not equable & fair minded Brits
    It isn't a question well worth asking.

If he was a good coach, it wouldn't matter to them where he was from. Aussies seemed pretty happy with Guus Hiddink.

But that was some lovely casual xenophobia in your last sentence.
  • Also more importantly, should Joe Root be opening the batting?
  • edited June 2013
    Tour? .. xenophobia ? .. what are you talking about ? .. you seem to have been born with a piece of your brain missing .. the piece that recognises humour ..
  • Tour? .. xenophobia ? .. what are you talking about ? .. you seem to have been born with a piece of your brain missing .. the piece that recognises humour ..

What, because I didn't recognise it in your post? Maybe it just wasn't funny?
  • Joe Root opening ? .. good question .. my batsmen would be: Cook, Carberry, Trott, Pietersen, Root and Bell .. with Bell being the most 'vulnerable' selection
  • Tour? .. xenophobia ? .. what are you talking about ? .. you seem to have been born with a piece of your brain missing .. the piece that recognises humour ..

That is my point .. you're just too stupid to recognise humour .. you're an ace sniper, be nice onetime to read a constructive post from you and not your usual hangdog rubbishing of other people's opinions
  • Joe Root opening ? .. good question .. my batsmen would be: Cook, Carberry, Trott, Pietersen, Root and Bell .. with Bell being the most 'vulnerable' selection

Not sure about Carberry, though he's a decent batsman. I'd still stick with Compton. I think he's got more to offer
  • McBobbin said:

Joe Root opening ? .. good question .. my batsmen would be: Cook, Carberry, Trott, Pietersen, Root and Bell .. with Bell being the most 'vulnerable' selection

Not sure about Carberry, though he's a decent batsman. I'd still stick with Compton. I think he's got more to offer
    opener is a worry .. Compton has done well in the NZ tests so perhaps deserves a slot in a more competitive environment .. I really rate Root but it seems to me that he is untested against the new ball .. he seems however to be a very talented and confident young man so .... we will see. I also like Carberry, the new Trescothick? .. he could give the start of an innings some impetus .. but equally so could Root. Compton is competent but hardly a dasher ... am I being too pessimistic? .. the England batting cupboard looks awfully bare
  • Jury's out on Compton. After a good away series against the Kiwis he looked pretty poor in the home matches, not getting over 20 in four innings. He was told by Flower to go away and score some heavy runs for Somerset and he's done well with a good hundred in his only first class match since.

I expect he'll get two more matches to prove himself although much will depend on wheter Pieterson comes back. I can't see them dropping Root so he may be promoted up the order to make way for KP.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd have trott opening with cook and pieterson at 3 and shift everyone else up. Root isn't an opener in my eyes. Trott has the perfect temperament for it

That is my point .. you're just too stupid to recognise humour .. you're an ace sniper, be nice onetime to read a constructive post from you and not your usual hangdog rubbishing of other people's opinions
    So not finding a post you made funny makes me stupid, and disagreeing with an opinion means I'm a 'sniper'? Weird.

Anyway, back on topic, I wouldn't agree with moving Trott up - steadies the ship so well and is the best number 3 we've had for a generation. Think he could open, certainly, but is best left where he is.

Compton will be picked, but I'd like to see Root and Cook open, Bairstow at 6.
  • Carter said:

I'd have trott opening with cook and pieterson at 3 and shift everyone else up. Root isn't an opener in my eyes. Trott has the perfect temperament for it

KP doesn't have the defensive technique to bat at three - at least not before he gets his eye in, that is when any batsman is vulnerable and he is more vulnerable than most early on simply because opponents know they have to get him early and attack. Technically he brings his bat down from first/second slip rather than straight and he tends to plant his front foot and play around the front pad a bit- which is also why left arm spinners who turn the ball across him quite often get him.

In any case Trott bats well at three, so I'd leave him there and having a third opener is always a good idea - in theory he could be going out to face the second ball of the innings after all. Cook should open alongside Root, unless Compton adds another big hundred in the next match or two. I like Compton's attitide, I don't think I've seen a batsman want it as badly as he does for some time and he's changed his natural game a lot so I'd be loathe to drop him so readily. After KP I'd play Root if Compton is retained and then Bell at six. If Compton is dropped play Bairstow at six and Bell at five. Bairstow is a year or two away from a regular/consistent performer but I like his temperament.
  • The other question is has Bopara done enough recently to force his way back into the test squad? He offers the obvious benefit of an additional bowling option.
  • The other question is has Bopara done enough recently to force his way back into the test squad? He offers the obvious benefit of an additional bowling option.

No.

England play four bowlers and chuck a few overs in from Trott/KP and maybe Root and if they want to play an all-rounder he's behind Bresnan and Woakes (at least).

No.

England play four bowlers and chuck a few overs in from Trott/KP and maybe Root and if they want to play an all-rounder he's behind Bresnan and Woakes (at least).

Agreed. Even when we had Collingwood, a fifth bowler is very rarely used... unless they are a decent spinner in the subcontinent like Patel I suppose (and he proved that we wasn't decent!). Bopara isn't a test quality bowler, so he would only give the front line bowlers a breather, and as BFR said, Root and Trott can do that. If Bopara can prove himself against England next week, the best he can hope for is getting in ahead of Bairstow as first batting reserve, but he won't get in above Root and Bell
  • edited June 2013
    Cricket Australia have confirmed Darren Lehmann as their new head coach after sacking previous incumbent Mickey Arthur earlier on Monday.

Arthur failed to bring out any improvement in Australia's results in less than two years in charge and his reign was also marked by a number of off-field issues.

"The Board considered him the outstanding candidate to drive the cultural change required in the team and to take it to the number one ranking in all formats of the game."

Cricket Australia CEO James Sutherland conceded the timing of the change, just 16 days before the start of the first Test, was unfortunate, but admitted it was necessary.

"This has been a difficult decision to make but one that we feel is necessary," Sutherland said.

"We are looking to establish a high performing Australian cricket team that is consistent over a period of time. To achieve that, we need all the parts moving in the right direction. Recent on-field results have been too inconsistent.

"Discipline, consistency of behaviour and accountability for performance are all key ingredients that need to improve. And we see that the head coach is ultimately responsible for that.

Unified

"The Cricket Australia Board decided yesterday that Mickey Arthur should not continue as head coach of the Australian cricket team. In taking this decision, the Board accepted the recommendation to make an immediate change as being in the best interests of the team."

Arthur was naturally disappointed but understood why the decision was made.

He said: "I certainly wanted to see the job through but I accept that the team hasn't been completely galvanised under my leadership and our performances have been inconsistent.

Lehmann replaces Arthur

"I'm certainly a believer in good culture and traditions much like all Australians and feel we were starting to get a shift in the right direction. We certainly need the team to be absolutely unified if we're any chance of beating the English."

On Lehmann, Sutherland added: "He has had outstanding success in a short time with Queensland Cricket winning the Bupa Sheffield Shield, Ryobi One-Day Cup and KFC T20 Big Bash League all within the last two years. Lehmann will be contracted until June 2015 - post the 2015 Cricket World Cup.

"The Board considered him the outstanding candidate to drive the cultural change required in the team and to take it to the number one ranking in all formats of the game.

"No-one is underestimating the task at hand but we believe he is the right man for the job. It is up to the players to respond under his leadership and demonstrate their commitment to a successful Australian team."
  • A good decision (for them) Lehmann will definitely bring a better atmosphere into their camp.
  • Lehmann will make Australia much more competitive. He is well respected in these parts.
  • England have announced that Joe Root will open with Alistar Cook in the forthcoming warm up 4 Day game against Essex. Nick Compton is not in the 14 man squad and therefore unlikely to keep his place in the line up for the first Test at Trent Bridge on July 10th.
    It would appear then that the only slot left to be decided is the 3rd seamers role with the choice to be between Finn, Bresnan, Onions and the uncapped Boyd Rankin.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!