Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes

Comments

• Options
    when Broad bowls i hope his first ball is bowled under arm all the way along the ground---------that should shut the f++kers up.
  • Options
    What's the score please, been to a funeral all day so got no idea?
  • Options
    261 ahead with 4 wickets in hand. Broad 47 no Bell 95 no
  • Options
    Broad walking would be like a defender telling the ref, in a football match, that the ball had in fact crossed the line, before he hoofed it away and he should award a goal.
  • Options
    326-6

Bell 95no
    Broad 47 no (as no as Agar was)

England lead by 261
  • Options

261 ahead with 4 wickets in hand. Broad 47 no Bell 95 no

Thanks, looks like we had a very good day, be nice to get a lead of around 350 to 400, could be a stupid statement as I haven't seen any of the play today.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Anyway, at COP they showed an incident against us in Adelaide 2010, when Michael Clarke just as blatantly hit the ball & didn't walk.
  • Options
    Aleem Dar is one of the best umpires in the world .. my cynicism tells me that he was under instruction to make amends for the Agar & Trott decisions. I reckon he will stand in at least two more of the forthcoming tests
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Oh and another thing. Giving Agar not out yesterday cost us 149 runs.

So we'd now be 410 ahead !

Also, Broad being given not out doesn't even tally up with Trott being give out, so ha !
  • Options
    I wonder if there hadnt been that appalling Trott decision Broad would have walked. Aussies have only themselves to blame.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2013
    I wonder if there hadnt been that appalling Trott decision Broad would have walked. Aussies have only themselves to blame.

Anyone thinking that Stuart Broad would ever walk under any circumstances has never watched him play cricket. An Aussie or a Saffer would say that he's got a bit of dog in him and that's not a bad thing. Winning teams in any sport usually have one or two players like that in their side.

Adam Gilchrist aside I've never known an Australian batsman to walk, even in club cricket.

Clarke has form for not walking himself. Anyone remember this incident at Adelaide? Right off the face of the bat and he stands his ground:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDA_vCl2yGc

In slow-mo you can even see him looking at the ball as it deflects off the face of the bat...
  • Options
    Don't walk, umpires make decisions, this is not 1932. Like Atherton said in Aus a few years ago after Healy hammered him of not walking: "when in Rome".
  • Options
    Should of walked.

Shame
  • Options
    If WG Grace can put the bails back on and say "they came to watch me bat not watch you umpire" I'm sure Broad can stand his ground.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Bell rarely gets the credit he deserves. Quality player.

Absolutely spot on westside, very similar to Gower lovely stroke maker but when he gets out playing his natural game it makes him look lazy/not grafting, some of his cover drives are fantastic. Cracking player & time and time again gets panned by so many but always steps up when needed. Geezer averages 45, thats awesome.

Loving the test tho, up down, left right how many 2 wickets in two balls is it two or three? Record breaking stand for a last wicket, kid know one heard of with an almost perfect performance, greatest sporting spectacle/rivalry of them all in my opinion!

Buzzing.
  • Options
    Bell is the most underrated English batsman of the past twenty years. My only gripe with him is that in his early years in the side he seemed to get himself out far too often - although listening to Tom Moody talk about him today on Sky he made the very good point that he was terrorised by Warne in his early career against the Aussies.

Hopefully he's put all that nonsense of the past year or so of getting out in the 20s behind him. Pivotal player for England in this series, I think - along with Trott, KP and Jimmy.

Cracking test match so far - looking forward to watching it all tomorrow :)
  • Options
    My impression is that the Aussies are fuming with the umpire for a dismal decision, but have no problems with Broad, as they would have done the same. You only walk when your car breaks down, as the saying goes...besides, his father was much worse!

I sometimes wonder whether neutral umpires was such a good idea, especially for series like the Ashes. It means that Test umpires never officiate in their home countries - imagine Dickie Bird never umpiring a Test match in England - and due to the lack of non English and Australian umpires, gives a very small pool to pick from. For Ashes test matches, having one umpire from each country would work fine, and enable umpires to officiate at their home grounds, such as Lords or the MCG.
  • Options

My impression is that the Aussies are fuming with the umpire for a dismal decision, but have no problems with Broad, as they would have done the same. You only walk when your car breaks down, as the saying goes...besides, his father was much worse!

I sometimes wonder whether neutral umpires was such a good idea, especially for series like the Ashes. It means that Test umpires never officiate in their home countries - imagine Dickie Bird never umpiring a Test match in England - and due to the lack of non English and Australian umpires, gives a very small pool to pick from. For Ashes test matches, having one umpire from each country would work fine, and enable umpires to officiate at their home grounds, such as Lords or the MCG.

That would definitely be a legitimate shout, and it's one I agree with - however Aleem Dar is a fantastic umpire. As is Marais Erasmus - who made a diabolical decision himself as TMO yesterday. There have always been aberrant decisions in cricket - and whilst the Aussies can certainly feel aggrieved, the fact remains that they flat out wasted both their reviews earlier in the day (God knows what Clarke was thinking for the lbw review that was drifting so far down leg that it wouldn't have almost missed a second set of stumps), and Erasmus' shocking decision to reprieve Agar led to them piling on 150-odd runs for the tenth wicket yesterday.

Besides, Clarke's a cheating prick - never mind the non-walking incident above, how about the bump catches he's claimed in the past?
  • Options
    Bell has dug ourselves out more than his fair share of times- worth his place for that alone!
  • Options

You only have to look at some of the shocking decisions given by "home" umpires in the past to know this is not a good idea.

I think umpiring has been to a ridiculously high standard since the ICC brought in neutral umpires and its only since the referral systems have kicked in that umpires have gotten lazier in their decisions in the knowledge if they get it wrong the technology will do their job for them. Obviously when you run out of referrals then things like broads edge are missed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That is a good point - technology has definitely been a positive but some of the decisions have been beyond poor. The Broad edge - maybe you can forgive an umpire for that ONCE in his career!!!!! The third umpire calls in this game and in the champions trophy - well it brings technology into disrespect - the ICC need to make sure that poor decisions when you can see something from multiple angles over and over again are punished by removal of that umpire!
  • Options
    A few things..

If the keeper had taken the edge and it was given not out, would the experts all be saying it was one of the worst decisions ever? The umpire has got it wrong but he thought the deflection to slip was purely off of Haddin's gloves. MOST of the pundits who are moaning have never umpired a game in their lives.

The walking issue....I didn't like what I saw (I am a 100% walker and always have been) but I get the point about Australians not walking. Thing is...I believe we should be setting a higher standard for etiquette than them.

Lastly......I am always bemused how cricketers (pros and amateurs) think that claiming catches that have bounced is some heinous crime, when they are almost all prepared to stand there and have a second innings after they've edged a ball to the keeper. Surely their mantra of "letting the umpire do his job" should apply in the case of bumped balls too? Players seem to think it's ok to cheat in some ways but not others.
  • Options

Adam Gilchrist aside I've never known an Australian batsman to walk, even in club cricket.

f the face of the bat and he stands his ground:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDA_vCl2yGc

In slow-mo you can even see him looking at the ball as it deflects off the face of the bat...

I'm sure Ian Healy walked for a bat-pad....year? But I take your point. Even Gilchrist didn't have a 100% record on walking and only started it later in his career.
  • Options
    The press over here are having a field day. News.com.au headlining it "The day Sportsmanship died" I LOVE it........Aussie cricketers being founding members of bad sportsmanship et al..........goes around and comes around. It's just a shame that cheating b******s like Healy weren't on the pitch yesterday. I really, really hope we push on and win this one, then the Aussies will once again stop talking about crocket.
  • Options
    Michael Holding makes a good point saying Ramdin got fined/banned for claiming the catch that had gone on the floor and the Broad incident is surely "not in the spirit of the game" either
  • Options
    Whining Aussies...these lads invented the not walking culture. As for unsportsmanlike, at least we don't bowl underarm!!
  • Options
    5 (wides) 0 4 - good start :-)
  • Options
    I hope Bell gets his ton. Broady salutes his 50 through the slips lol. The Aussies all stand and applaud Broad NOT.
  • Options

You only have to look at some of the shocking decisions given by "home" umpires in the past to know this is not a good idea.

I think umpiring has been to a ridiculously high standard since the ICC brought in neutral umpires and its only since the referral systems have kicked in that umpires have gotten lazier in their decisions in the knowledge if they get it wrong the technology will do their job for them. Obviously when you run out of referrals then things like broads edge are missed.
    Unfortunately, of the current 12 elite umpires, 4 are English and 4 are Aussie, leaving just 4 umpires to cover all 3 jobs for the 5 matches here, then the 5 Tests in Australia! There's talk of using umpires from the next level down as otherwise the players and umpires will be sick of each other...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/theashes/10176936/Ashes-2013-England-and-Australia-appeal-over-neutral-umpires.html

• Options

Need big innings from Bell and Prior here. If not, think that's it for this test.

I'm thinking the same. If one of these can make a ton, I'll think we may just edge it.

I think we will win now.

Bell 100no Broad 51no

England 340-6 & lead by 275
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!