Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth FC

Comments

• Options
    Welling v Pompey would be a hoot.
  • Options

It reminds me of when the likes of Swansea and Brighton nearly went out of the league (remember Steve Gritt keeping the Seagulls up!). both recovered, and Luton will be back in the league next season.

It has taken the Hatters 5 years to get back in the League. I would now bet on them being at least in League One and possibly the Championship within that timescale going forward.

Portsmouth would not have an easy ride back.

• Options

Welling v Pompey would be a hoot.

There'd be more than the 403 that were there last night.
  • Options
    SMW28 said:

As a someone at university in Portsmouth I would like them to stay up as I get free tickets from time to time writing for the university newspaper. I've spoken to Ashley Brown and it's good to see how happy he and the other fans they are now that the club is theirs. Any sort of punishment placed upon them wouldnt affect anyone that got them into the mess they are in now and is just ridiculous.

Irrespective as to who owns the club now I think you'd find it difficult to find anyone (who is not a football fan, themselves) with any sympathy for them.

Portsmouth should have been liquidated and forced out of business and their FA Cup win should have been stripped from them. To still exist is a travesty of justice. If a man fails to pay his mortgage owing thousands of pounds and does a runner you wouldn't expect the bank to let his wife keep the house would you?
  • Options

SMW28 said:

As a someone at university in Portsmouth I would like them to stay up as I get free tickets from time to time writing for the university newspaper. I've spoken to Ashley Brown and it's good to see how happy he and the other fans they are now that the club is theirs. Any sort of punishment placed upon them wouldnt affect anyone that got them into the mess they are in now and is just ridiculous.

Irrespective as to who owns the club now I think you'd find it difficult to find anyone (who is not a football fan, themselves) with any sympathy for them.

Portsmouth should have been liquidated and forced out of business and their FA Cup win should have been stripped from them. To still exist is a travesty of justice. If a man fails to pay his mortgage owing thousands of pounds and does a runner you wouldn't expect the bank to let his wife keep the house would you?
    Depends...has she got big tits?
  • Options
    edited March 2014

SMW28 said:

Bit different as she will likely still be put up somewhere. Leave a city whereby the majority actually support the club, you leave an entire city without a club. A number of local people also work for the club, there jobs would be lost, the city has recently seen a cut in jobs at the dockyard and unemployment is growing here as it is. If for example Roland stripped our club of money and then ran away leaving us the fans to take over the club and then pay off any debts, which the PST are doing then you would see it fit for us to be stripped of an FA cup before the non payment of taxes occured (1947 never happened) and put out of business?. Most of the debt was owed to players and other investors anyway.
  • Options
    I think you'll find that a lot of the debt was owed to the Inland Revenue which is, by definition, Tax payers. I think you'll also find that all the players were guaranteed all their money - the only group that were.

If you can confirm that the PST are going to repay the whole £155m then I welcome the club staying in business - especially as a big chunk of that could be used to build schools and hospitals.

And yes if Charlton were to knock that much money I would expect any success that had been bought with it to be removed from the records. I would also expect The Valley to be sold for housing and I would not expect the Local Authority to bankroll a group of fans to keep the club going - especially if it was still unable to break even.

I don't want to be rude, but you sound very naive and you are exhibiting the kind of logic that children have when they try to justify something that is, just, outrageous.
  • Options
    If a pub goes into admin and I then buy it out of admin, re-open the pub with the same name, same location should I have to pay off the debts run up by the last landlord or the landlord before that?

No, of course not as that is nothing to do with me. I've started a new company and I trade as "The Goalkeepers Arms 2014 Ltd".

That the pub has the same name and same customers doesn't matter in legal terms. The locals will be happy to have a pub to drink in again. They will see it as "their" pub, CAMRA will still put it in their guides and I might even keep on a lot of bar staff as they didn't nothing wrong either.

The pie shop round the corner that was owed money by the last landlord might not be happy but why should I pay them? Same with the taxman. Different company, different owner, same pub.

• Options
    No, because we want to keep the riff-raff like you out!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2014

I think you'll find that a lot of the debt was owed to the Inland Revenue which is, by definition, Tax payers. I think you'll also find that all the players were guaranteed all their money - the only group that were.

If you can confirm that the PST are going to repay the whole £155m then I welcome the club staying in business - especially as a big chunk of that could be used to build schools and hospitals.

And yes if Charlton were to knock that much money I would expect any success that had been bought with it to be removed from the records. I would also expect The Valley to be sold for housing and I would not expect the Local Authority to bankroll a group of fans to keep the club going - especially if it was still unable to break even.

I don't want to be rude, but you sound very naive and you are exhibiting the kind of logic that children have when they try to justify something that is, just, outrageous.

"It later emerged they currently owe HMRC £1.9m in unpaid tax as well as between £4m to £7m from the previous regime."- Hardly £155m.
    If by thinking that many people in the city would lose their jobs, lose a football club that is involved in the local community because of money owed by people that have tried to make some quick cash from their club. Then sure I'm naive.
  • Options
    If the football creditors rule is abolished then what's to stop the owners of a club relegated from the FAPL pushing the club into administration and making all the high paid failures redundant with minimum compo? Not saying I support the rule but people have to look at all the angles before a change is put through.
    The revenue and the government have threatened to intervene by changing the law if the football authorities do nothing. I wonder how long before we see a change?
  • Options
    edited March 2014

I would not expect the Local Authority to bankroll a group of fans to keep the club going -

A loan that has since been paid back on time and with interest so I dont see any problem in that. The council also approved the loan knowing that the city would profit from it and preserve people's jobs, so surely that's a respectable decision from the local authority is it not?
    Perhaps knowing more information on a situation may prevent you from accusing someone of being naive in the future.
  • Options
    I know what Portsmouth did was out of order - no question - but to me they are a proper old football club and I'd be gutted to see them vanish.

Portsmouth is a town that has gone through rough old times and it would be a massive blow if they lost their football club too.
  • Options
    Just wish rednapp had worked this magic at Wet Spam rather than Pompey.
    Seems to be doing the same at QPR now.
  • Options
    My first notion of Pompey was the 657 running around The Valley in 83/84 slapping anyone that moved so not overly interested if they go pop or not.
  • Options
    My birthplace, some of the best supporters around. I wish them the luck that has avoided them over a period.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Looks pretty rough to me

• Options

If the football creditors rule is abolished then what's to stop the owners of a club relegated from the FAPL pushing the club into administration and making all the high paid failures redundant with minimum compo?

I'm not sure I see the downside to that.

• Options
    BBC Solent reporting they have sacked their manager.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rizzo said:

If the football creditors rule is abolished then what's to stop the owners of a club relegated from the FAPL pushing the club into administration and making all the high paid failures redundant with minimum compo?

I'm not sure I see the downside to that.

At first glance nor do I and it is clearly a legacy of pre Bosman style negotiations. The thing is that the FAPL is one of the top three or four sports Tv rights deals in the world partly because all clubs can bid for top talent across the world.
    How many players would sign for clubs threatened with relegation if they thought there was a risk of no payout?
    I think all angles need to considered and the FA and top two divisions put something more suitable in place... with the government pushing hard if the FAPL drag their feet?

• Options

See, you're making the same mistake as the previous Landlord.

It'll all end in tears.

• Options
    And now they have Danny Hollands to save them as he has gone on loan to them.
  • Options
    Should do a great job for them.
  • Options
    Barker waqs sacked by Crawley not long ago that's got be a record same manager sacked twice in three months!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12040/9495149/league-two-portsmouth-announce-club-officially-debt-free-two-years-ahead-of-schedule

Some 2,368 shareholders have between them raised about £2.5m through individual pledges of £1,000.
  • Options

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12040/9495149/league-two-portsmouth-announce-club-officially-debt-free-two-years-ahead-of-schedule

Some 2,368 shareholders have between them raised about £2.5m through individual pledges of £1,000.

That is what you call devotion .. Let's just hope that none of the 2368 are Wonga or 'Amigo' customers
  • Options
    Heard that Pompey have made an offer to Chesterfield's manager. Have they come into some dosh?
  • Options
    Went to see them play Ipswich in FA Cup last night - very impressive performance. Ipswich had only one shot all night (and scored) - but Pompey could and should have buried them.
    Shows what can be built from the ashes.They would certainly have beaten us last night.
    Luke Varney was playing for Ipswich - didn't know he was on the pitch until they announced he was being substituted !