Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth FC

Comments

• Options
    Living between Portsmouth and Southampton, and working in Portsmouth, i can almost happily announce that Pompey fans do not care where the club ends up in the short term - as long as it survives (and it will) in some form for the future - they are very well prepared to allow the club to drop into the non-leagues in order to build once more, and most people are talking of AFC Portsmouth at Fratton or even playing at Gosport Boroughs ground or Havant/Waterlooville.There are no playing expectations whatsoever.
    My boss is a Pompey fan who quite happily reminds me that Pompey have in their history, played Charlton more than any team in the leagues - they def have an affinity with us.
    Good,honest people down here - we might be able to learn a lot from them in the next few years.
  • Options
    Seems the Football League have blocked a rival bit from Keith Harris (not the Orville guy, the financial advisor who once has a gig with Charlton via Seymour Pierce).

The FL saying the Supporters' Trust or nobody and expulsion from the League if they don't come out of administration by the end of the season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21376866
  • Options
    Apparently the Pompey Suppoprters Trust are the only people who will now be considered to take over. I was born there and have always had a soft spot for them, their supporters have been brilliant over the years. I remember pompey for having the best ever (in my opinion) half back line, Scoular, Frogatt, Dickinson, I have everything crossed for them.
  • Options
    I think it's over for them now. I can't see how the PST are going to acquire them "clean" and out of administration in time without further assistance. If that's the football league's stance (which has been a bloody long time in coming), I think there will be a few relieved supporters down at the bottom of L2.
  • Options
    I wish no other club to go bust, even Millwall or Palace, as boardroom shenanigans are not the fault of the fans and it is the fans who are the real stakeholders in a club.

I hope the Portsmouth supporters' trust is successful in purchasing the club and keeping it going.

It saddens me that a club like Scarborough went bust for not a lot more than someone like Rooney's spend on a night out.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I wish no other club to go bust, even Millwall or Palace, as boardroom shenanigans are not the fault of the fans and it is the fans who are the real stakeholders in a club.

I hope the Portsmouth supporters' trust is successful in purchasing the club and keeping it going.

It saddens me that a club like Scarborough went bust for not a lot more than someone like Rooney's spend on a night out.

Agree with all that.

This on the day that the FAPL clubs agree among themselves their own rules for financial management and debt limits, without so much as a glance towards the rest of football. This tells you all you need to know about why things like Portsmouth happen.

The FAPL as a separate entity should be abolished, and an FA dominated by the professional game - not just the top clubs - should be back running football.

• Options
    Are they on the brink now? Or on the brink brink? The actual brink?
  • Options
    most likely outcome is the trust will take over, they will come out of admin, lose their 10 points, get relegated.
  • Options

most likely outcome is the trust will take over, they will come out of admin, lose their 10 points, get relegated.

I agree with this and that deduction will almost certainly relegate them to the Fourth tier next season.

Then I think Portsmouth and their fans would have been punished enough for the club's misdemeanours and I would hope that they could rebuild their once proud club.

I really hope they can survive.

• Options
    Richard J said:

I agree with this and that deduction will almost certainly relegate them to the Fourth tier next season.

Then I think Portsmouth and their fans would have been punished enough for the club's misdemeanours and I would hope that they could rebuild their once proud club.

I really hope they can survive.

Agree, I would hate to see any football club go out of business, even Millwall (most of the the time).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2013
    they have just signed Therry Racon, poor Pompey!!!
  • Options
    I have nothing against them but in a perverse way I'd like to see a club the size of Pompey fold, in the hope that it would make the rest of football wake up and realise how stupid the money situation is. Sadly though, even if they did disappear then nothing would change and we'd have someone else in the same situation in a year or two.
  • Options
    Have to agree Red. As a club they've been at the brink for years and yet have continually brought in players. Bringing in players that they couldn't afford and not paying other clubs and businesses should have more consequence than a few points. I've been down there a few times and like the club but this nonsense cannot continue.
  • Options
    Hope the club survives. Terribly long demise for any clubs fans to suffer. I lived there for 3 years and the town love the club, shame on those responsible for where it is.
  • Options
    I think it's gone on too long for anyone to be shocked, and therefore bring about positive change to the game, to be honest.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Must've been a brilliant night out!!

"Despite the support of Scarborough Borough Council and the company's creditors, the club simply ran out of time. The company's total debt amounts to £2.5m"

• Options
    If they do survive and get relegated their points deduction will be done next season and by all accounts it will probably be more than 10 points. Remember what they did to Luton Town, -30 points!
  • Options
    I'm sure they're not paying them much, but bringing in all those former Charlton players still costs money, and while they want to be competitive on the pitch, I can't help thinking they're still not taking their debts seriously enough
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

If they do survive and get relegated their points deduction will be done next season and by all accounts it will probably be more than 10 points. Remember what they did to Luton Town, -30 points!

In my opinion that made a mockery of the season as a contest for the Hatters and was therefore not very good for the competing clubs.Ultimately Luton were relegated to the Conference where they have now rotted and are in their fourth season at that level.

Anything more than a 15 point reduction should really mean an automatic double relegation instead.

As I said above I feel Pompey and most importantly their fans have already been punished enough.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Richard J said:

E-cafc said:

In my opinion that made a mockery of the season as a contest for the Hatters and was therefore not very good for the competing clubs.Ultimately Luton were relegated to the Conference where they have now rotted and are in their fourth season at that level.
    As a contest they had little or no chance of survival that year.Anything more than a 15 point reduction should really mean an automatic double relegation instead.

As I said above I feel Pompey and most importantly their fans have already been punished enough.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have the supporters trust got the money ? Can it afford to sustain losses ? Does it have the expertise to run a business like Pompey. It's a big ask IMHO.
  • Options

Have the supporters trust got the money ? Can it afford to sustain losses ? Does it have the expertise to run a business like Pompey. It's a big ask IMHO.

They had something like £2.5m

With the debts gone not sure what the losses would be. I guess the aim would be to only spend what they have.

No reason why a Trust can't run a business, It works at other clubs. And how can they be worse than those that went before.

• Options
    How many ex-pompey players still playing in the Prem? How many players playing in the Prem that owe their status to the lower leagues? Or did they all go from school/local teams straight into the top division. If not then they should recognise that just a small fraction of their combined wealth should be redirected to support the lower leagues.
  • Options

They had something like £2.5m

With the debts gone not sure what the losses would be. I guess the aim would be to only spend what they have.

No reason why a Trust can't run a business, It works at other clubs. And how can they be worse than those that went before.

Very true Henry but can they sustain the losses that enevitably will occur. Bleak for them whatever happens I think.

• Options
    Richard J said:

E-cafc said:

And they still got further in the fa cup than us!!

Sometimes you have to wonder if they'd just be better off re-forming as AFC Portsmouth and starting again. Wimbledon made it to the league in 10 years, so no reason why Pompey couldn't. These issues have been going on for a good 2-3 years already and it doesn't look like getting better any time soon.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I'm amazed by the lack of sympathy/empathy on this thread.

I'm seriously considering lobbing into their Trust. I would hope that some of them would do the same for us if (when?) we ever need it.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I'm amazed by te lack of sympathy/empathy on this thread.

I'm seriously considering lobbing into their Trust. I would hope that some of them would do the same for us if (wehn?) we ever need it.

But unless they can wipe off their debts, the current business is untenable for a Trust to own anyway.

If it shut and reformed as AFC Pompey then that would be different
  • Options
    Its easy to stick the metaphorical boot into Pompey and say they should have done this , they shouldn't have done , their getting their just deserts, and all the rest of it , but whats to stop us and other clubs not going the same way in the future?

Surely there must be a ton of clubs that have overspent in the past , be it on new stadiums , player transfers/wages all chasing a golden egg that never happens , and its going to come back and bite them in the whatnots bigtime.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Off_it said:

I'm seriously considering lobbing into their Trust. I would hope that some of them would do the same for us if (wehn?) we ever need it.

I see where you're coming from but money wise there are far more important causes to be helping than what is effectively a very poorly run business.

Like with people buying shares in Real Oviedo to save them a couple of months ago. Sod that, I'd rather give my cash to an animal charity.
  • Options
    Off_ita said:

I'm seriously considering lobbing into theirrn Trust. I would hope that some of them would do the same for us if (wehn?) we ever need it.

So am I remember it was almost us in 1984 .I can still hear the words of the blackburn chairman when he found out that Charlton could possibly not forfill the fixture at Ewood he stated --they must come we have already ordered the pies.