Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth FC

Comments

• Options
    Well I feel sorry for the fan's, they had no control or say over this situation, and I feel that what a past manager or board did has got little to do with there current plight, in regard to being sympathetic to fellow fan's. I agree with Oggy I hope they pull through, the fan's need support and hope. The rights and wrongs can be argued about later.
  • Options

Well I feel sorry for the fan's, they had no control or say over this situation, and I feel that what a past manager or board did has got little to do with there current plight, in regard to being sympathetic to fellow fan's. I agree with Oggy I hope they pull through, the fan's need support and hope. The rights and wrongs can be argued about later.

Agreed.
  • Options

sorry, but i don't feel any sympathy for them at all. First time they got out of administration should have been the last , but they didn't learn from it.

Also, whilst in the Premiership they spent millions on players instead of improving the ground - that is wrong and if they had do things the right way maybe they wouldn't be where they are today

whilst on the subject - Southampton should not be where there are either, I was wathging MOTD last night and thinking how well they have done, but then remembered they bought their way out of League One after going into Administration. This should not have been allowed and any money they subsequently had should have gone to the creditors who only got something like 10p in the £ a year or so before.

Clubs like Saints and Palace (perish the thought) should have to pay every single penny back to creditors once they land in the premier league... both clubs wrote off £20M + in exchange for a ten point deduction. Aviva and HBOS (that's us taxpayers) have taken a big hit on their behalf... Whereas CAFC have restructured in an honourable way

If Portsmouth fold now, I'm sure they will be back as AFC Portsmouth - whether it is Fratton Park or not is hard to say

• Options
    I think Pompey are the team we've had the most league games against over the years?

Pompey was a second home to me a few years back, always have had and always will have a soft spot for them. Hate to see them in such a sorry state.
  • Options

I feel that what a past manager or board did has got little to do with there current plight,

Yes but if a business borrows and spends money is doesn't have you can't change the manager then expect the creditors to wright the money off as the manager has moved on!
  • Options
    Always liked Pompey.

Good luck to them!
  • Options
    Ross said:

Ideally they need a Pompey fan to win £100m on EuroMillions and buy the club with that.

And when they've got through that £100m, then what?
  • Options

sorry, but i don't feel any sympathy for them at all. First time they got out of administration should have been the last , but they didn't learn from it.

Also, whilst in the Premiership they spent millions on players instead of improving the ground - that is wrong and if they had do things the right way maybe they wouldn't be where they are today

That's not the fault of the fans though is it which is where most people's sympathy lies. No one feels sorry for the succession of useless owners who've lied and spent what they didn't have.

• Options
    RedChaser said:

TEL said:

Ridiculous that a team should get into such a state consistently....surely they cant just be dissolved?

I think they can TEL in which case they'll have to reinvent themselves as AFC Portsmouth and start at the bottom of the pyramid a la AFC Wimbledon.
    A better comparison might be Dartford, who started again at the bottom and are now higher than where they generally were before they went bust. The likes of Accrington Stanley (of milk advert fame) and Aldershot have also fought their way back up the leagues.

The thing that annoys me about the Pompey situation, is that they didn't learn their lesson after the first administration, still spending money they didn't have.
  • Options
    Swear this talk of Portsmouth 'going out of existance' happens once a fortnight.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I said at the time that the players they signed for this season looked too expensive, so they've been at it again already.
  • Options
    As a student down In Portsmouth, been to a few midweek games and the support is absolutely blinding. Would feel sorry for their fans.
  • Options

I feel that what a past manager or board did has got little to do with there current plight,

Yes but if a business borrows and spends money is doesn't have you can't change the manager then expect the creditors to wright the money off as the manager has moved on!
    I did say in regard to the fans KHA.
    Of course the club has been run on ridiculous financial lines, but they are not alone there are they, in regard to football especially?
    Trouble is the fan's had no direct say in this, in the same way that most fan's have none. The answer is not to go, as I did not to Selhurst, I am not sure my 'stand' or position did any good. With the exception of Millwall, I do not want clubs to go bust, I want to beat them on the pitch.

• Options
    You could close down the stadium, training ground, sack every single player in the squad and they would still find a way of carrying on. Indestructible club that will still be here in 10 years.
  • Options
    IMO the longer this pompey fiasco carries on, more and more clubs will follow suit.
    Have nothing but admiration for the supporters, But, if Pompey did go pop, then surely other clubs would/might take notice and not get themselves wrapped in impossible debts ?
  • Options
    Feel sorry for the fans but that club has been mismanaged financially for years they keep going into administration, knocking all the people they owe money to and then spending reinvestment money on players they can't afford. If they were in any other industry they would be gone like Comet and Jessops.
  • Options

whilst on the subject - Southampton should not be where there are either, I was wathging MOTD last night and thinking how well they have done, but then remembered they bought their way out of League One after going into Administration. This should not have been allowed and any money they subsequently had should have gone to the creditors who only got something like 10p in the £ a year or so before.

Palace too and I am sure a host of other clubs, not sure we are totally innocent from 1984, but others would know the detail better than I. In these days of Comet and Jessops I have little sympathy for Clubs but lots of course for staff and the fans. Although fans sympathy is slightly tempered by the seeking of glory at all costs, for Pompey fans they are now realizing that ultimately you have to pay back.

• Options
    That club is like a wounded animal and the best thing for it is to be put out of its misery.

But no doubt someone will come to the "resue" and start signing ex prem players with delusions of grandure, before it all goes tits up again followed by another round of administration, etc etc etc................................
  • Options

IMO the longer this pompey fiasco carries on, more and more clubs will follow suit.
    Have nothing but admiration for the supporters, But, if Pompey did go pop, then surely other clubs would/might take notice and not get themselves wrapped in impossible debts ?

I think that the only thing is that the Gaydamark, Harry, Storrie and various foreign owners didn't particularly care whether their short term objectives might result in the doom for the club. Maybe supporters would have demanded more questions rather than just enjoying a few starts coming in.
  • Options

I don't see this happening at all.

The Pompey fans will still be there and therefore there will still be a market, just possibly ina lower league for a few years. So something will rise out of the ashes. If the fans went and supported other clubs then clubs might take notice but while there is a demand someone will come along to fill it. So who has really lost out?

The only ones who really lose are the small traders who don't get paid when clubs go into admin. The money men still have money at the end of it. And footballers still want to play football so will go there to play, just attracting a ower level of player going forward.

So if those small businesses stopped supplying them with printing, stationery, food, IT services, advertising money etc etc then it might have an effect. But the fans themselves want a club and there will always be fans to take the risk for the club wjo work in these businesses. Football loyalty is very unwaivering and therefore easy to exploit and it would need a mass change to have any long term effect on any other club.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mortimerican said:

I think that the only thing is that the Gaydamark, Harry, Storrie and various foreign owners didn't particularly care whether their short term objectives might result in the doom for the club. Maybe supporters would have demanded more questions rather than just enjoying a few starts coming in.

Yes, and that is why it is important that Charlton supporters join the Charlton Supporters Trust.
    Of course, a club's owners can simply ignore a Supporters Trust. We can't force them to take the long-term interests of fans into account. BUT - the more people that are paid up members of the Trust, the better the opportunity to ensure that the voice of supporters is heard.

It is simple to join on the website (CASTrust.org) and it only costs £5 to make a statement that you care enough about the club to have signed up.

Portsmouth fans formed their Trust too late - after it all went wrong. Swansea FC is 20% owned by their Supporters Trust and must be the most admired club in the country right now.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Portsmouth has been in trouble for about the last 10 years. Only now, when the club is in the throes of death does it seem that something will be done.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but intervention should really have taken place in the close season. No club at 'death's door' should be allowed to participate in any of the top professional divisions.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

You could close down the stadium, training ground, sack every single player in the squad and they would still find a way of carrying on. Indestructible club that will still be here in 10 years.

Well 2 out of the 3 have already happened. They'll have no training ground as of the end of this month and i don't think there's a player still there who was there back in August.

• Options
    Pico said:

Mortimerican said:

Yes, and that is why it is important that Charlton supporters join the Charlton Supporters Trust.
    Of course, a club's owners can simply ignore a Supporters Trust. We can't force them to take the long-term interests of fans into account. BUT - the more people that are paid up members of the Trust, the better the opportunity to ensure that the voice of supporters is heard.

It is simple to join on the website (CASTrust.org) and it only costs £5 to make a statement that you care enough about the club to have signed up.

Portsmouth fans formed their Trust too late - after it all went wrong. Swansea FC is 20% owned by their Supporters Trust and must be the most admired club in the country right now.

Nail on head,Pico.

No point taking out insurance after the "accident".....

• Options
    They say that every cloud has a silver lining......just wondering should Pompey finally die, perhaps we could send along some Valley express coaches?
  • Options
    I think local businesses that deal with all but the premier league clubs, supplying everything from pies to printing will all be very wary of allowing clubs to run up bills in this current climate. Would be interesting to know how Charlton fare in this respect given the rumours about earlier in the year.
  • Options
    John Utaka - £80,000 per week, allegedly. Nuff said. And he probably wasn't the only one, or even the worst. People will have lost their jobs because of this kind of nonsense.
  • Options
    ok the club was mis managed once ...i think we can forgive that
    but for it to be mis managed on an ongoing basis is unacceptable ...i think the administrators ,especially the first time round have a lot to answer for
  • Options
    I know lots of Pompey fans living on the Isle of Wight and often had discussions along the lines of careful what you wish for. Their hatred and obsession of being better than Southampton clouded all judgement, they gave it out in spades to the better behaved Southampton fans so I have little sympathy for the Pompey fans. They just didn't care where the money came from as long as they overtook Southampton in the bragging rights. Personally I love my football just the way it is and have done for the 40 years that i've passionately followed Charlton. Ups and downs, highs and lows whichever level we have played at ..... So I for one will not be rubbing my hands should a rich sugar daddy come along flashing the cash.
  • Options
    Sam Sodje and Moutakill sign one month deals with Pompey.