Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth FC

Comments

• Options
    People saying the players should write it off make me laugh!!!
  • Options

Why? Isnt there a part of you that thinks "If I were a multi millionnaire (like Kanu and Ben Haim) who has earned a good living out of the game and I see one of the clubs I played for is fucked up BIG TIME. They could easily go out of business. There are thousands of fans - the people who paid my wages for a number of years - who won't have a club. There is a community that won't have a club. There are lots of local businesses who could fold because of debts owed to them by this club. They will have nothing. "

Or should I end that statement with "Nah fuck it - it's not my fault. I'll become a free agent, earn 20% above market rate as there is no transfer fee and split what they owe me over a number of years to appear like I am a caring chap"

I agree it's not their fault - but they CAN do something about it. By not being such money grabbing dicks

• Options
    Money grabbing dicks???

Its all relative isnt it.

If they are footballers who have done well and earned a good living, then they live a different lifestyle to us. If you worked for a year and didnt get paid...you would want that money back wouldnt you???? You wouldnt just 'write it off'. Their outgoings are probably completely different to ours.

It Portsmouth FC's fault, not the people that are due their money.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Why? Isnt there a part of you that thinks "If I were a multi millionnaire (like Kanu and Ben Haim) who has earned a good living out of the game and I see one of the clubs I played for is fucked up BIG TIME. They could easily go out of business. There are thousands of fans - the people who paid my wages for a number of years - who won't have a club. There is a community that won't have a club. There are lots of local businesses who could fold because of debts owed to them by this club. They will have nothing. "

Or should I end that statement with "Nah fuck it - it's not my fault. I'll become a free agent, earn 20% above market rate as there is no transfer fee and split what they owe me over a number of years to appear like I am a caring chap"

I agree it's not their fault - but they CAN do something about it. By not being such money grabbing dicks

You're making the mistake of thinking any of them care about the clubs they play for in the same way a fan would. The issue is that someone has signed a contract that guarantees them a certain amount of money. No-one forced the idiot chairman/board to sanction that amount of cash, so why on Earth should someone accept less/none of their salary because the business is run by a bunch of five year olds?

It is the system that is entirely at fault here, not the players. As unpalatable as it may seem to you, most footballers play the game because it's their job. Not because they are in love with it or the clubs they play for.
  • Options
    Football clubs are only cared for by fans no one else and why should it be any different

I don't recall any pompey fans in the prem or the fa cup final coming out publically and complaining the club was gambling with its future

There are businesses that have already folded the first time admin hit them

Let alone the second time

Pardont wanted his money so we sold varney

Pompey is screwed and the place was run like a barn cake

Be warned with ridiculous fan expectations and stupid calls for new signings

As this is what happens
  • Options
    If this is true, where is the money coming from? Seems unlikely to be true unless there is some fool pumping his or her own money into a lost cause.

If it actually is true, then the present owners made a decision to take it on. There was an honourable alternative which was to wind up the company starting afresh at the bottom of the football pyramid with whatever assets they could afford to pay the liquidator for. Paying these players, if true, must be the price of clinging onto a) L2 status and b) Fratton Park.

The points being made about players writing it off: why should they, when owners are prepared to do this? Football has to live in the real world eventually and liquidation rather than contrived administration is the answer I'm afraid. I say that with a heavy heart for the fans of one of the clubs we have played most often in our history, knowing it could have been (and could yet still be) us looking at the same scenario.

And if I was minted (or not) and my employer went bust with no assets I'd get 3/4 of 4/5ths of feck all, so why a footballer should ever be any different is completely beyond me.
  • Options
    Half the supporters of clubs disappear like snow off a dyke if they lose a couple of games because they don't want to "waste" their money, but would expect a player to write of thousands that clubs like Portsmouth got out of them. Most folk are very pragmatic and objective with other peoples cash.
  • Options
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

You may have a point with Kanu and Ben haim but most of the players on that list won't be anywhere close to multi millionaires and most will be out of work by the time they're 35.
  • Options
    JT said:

You can always count on Millwall fans to give us a bloody good laugh!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well their game V Wycombe got called off due to just a slightly waterlogged pitch:

• Options
    Yeah just slightly waterlogged
  • Options
    edited October 2013
  • Options
    Nowhere near as bad as the pitch against Doncaster! Get on with it I say.
  • Options
    If they pay these players then these players will surely have to pay tax and national insurance and if they are higher rate tax payers they will end up with prolly less than 40p in the pound
    These fellas are a long time out the game and they will have extended families ,nieces ,nephews etc that they are prolly supporting through housing ,education etc and more tax is paid by these firms as well......
    I know I'd want my legally binding contract to be paid and I wouldn't want anyone deciding what and where I should spend my dough whether I was getting £50 a week or £50,000 a week , where should the cut off be to decide whether someone is a money grabbing dick or they're entitled to some wages
    and who's to say someone like Kanu who has done some good stuff for charideee should let it ride to help Pompey out rather than some genuine good causes who will be making proper use of the dough

Although with pompeys decent away support they should be given more chance to survive than most other clubs !!!
  • Options
    Only 2 points above going out the league!

How quickly it can change from cup winners to non league
  • Options

How quickly it can change from cup winners to non league

Potentially following in Oxford and Luton's footsteps
  • Options
    If they were relegated, they would be 1 division away from their across-the-water neighbours,Gosport, when 6 years ago there would have been 8 leagues difference.
  • Options
    How many years ago were they in Europe? 4? 5?

Must be the quickest fall down the leagues in history.
  • Options
    Don't want a proper footy club like Pompey to go out of the league.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Agreed. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for them for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    It reminds me of when the likes of Swansea and Brighton nearly went out of the league (remember Steve Gritt keeping the Seagulls up!). both recovered, and Luton will be back in the league next season.
  • Options

Agreed. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for them for the rest of the season.
    I will be keeping my fingers crossed for any local businesses that lost money from them.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Could be Welling v Portsmouth and Dartford v Portsmouth next year. Crazy.
  • Options

EDIT: Don't get the Torquay love in. If they go down they go down. Just the way it is.

Large is a closet Torquay fan by the way.
  • Options

Don't get the Pompey love in. If they go down they go down. Just the way it is.

I would like to see them go. I don't think the club have even come close to being suitably punished for 'buying the FA Cup' with someone else's money, then refusing to pay it back!

I know this is not a popular view, but they did knock in excess of £100m!
  • Options
    As a someone at university in Portsmouth I would like them to stay up as I get free tickets from time to time writing for the university newspaper. I've spoken to Ashley Brown and it's good to see how happy he and the other fans they are now that the club is theirs. Any sort of punishment placed upon them wouldnt affect anyone that got them into the mess they are in now and is just ridiculous.
  • Options
    Right now I couldn't give a Monkey's about them. But if anything I'd like them to stay up for their fans.
  • Options

Right now I couldn't give a Monkey's about them. But if anything I'd like them to stay up for their fans.

Apart from the twat with the bell surely?