Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth FC

Yesterday only one match in the entire football league was cancelled that was Portsmouth v Nott’s County.

This week was a bad week for Portsmouth FC. They released 5 more players due to financial problems. They were told to vacate their training establishment due to being unable to pay the rent, and as off next week have no where to train. Also they are due in the High Court on Tuesday where they are attempting to stop the previous owner selling Fratton Park.

Last night I was told by a very good source that yesterday Portsmouth FC couldn’t field a team because they simply didn’t have enough players left at the club.

The Football League should have refused Portsmouth FC permission to start the season but they didn’t and now there is a very real possibility that Portsmouth FC will fold mid season.

Whether this is any truth in this I am not sure, but the rumour is that the Football League sanctioned yesterdays postponement rather than see Portsmouth FC being unable to play the game and in effect fold mid season.

Comments

• Options
    Officially warthogs on the pitch, but it makes you wonder? Poor old Pompey, not my favourite club in the world, but I would not wish their problems on any club.
  • Options
    The club looks finished, still got a 10 point deduction to come as well. Things look very, very bleak down there.
  • Options
    Saw the pitch on TV earlier: The game was definetly OFF because it was flooded.

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/League+One/Portsmouth
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    The BBC football website yesterday lunchtime also showed a photo of Fratton Park waterlogged.

If that photo was current, the pitch was definitely unplayable.
  • Options
    Could be something to do with Rednapp's overspending?
  • Options
    Feel sorry for the fans, how can one club be so consistently mismanaged over the years.

As for yesterday though, it was definitely waterlogged. Weather down there was a joke and on sky they said Bournemouth was close to being abandoned
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Officially warthogs on the pitch, but it makes you wonder? Poor old Pompey, not my favourite club in the world, but I would not wish their problems on any club.

I feel for the fans, we had a narrow escape and so have others like the mighty Leeds; who knows what's around the corner when wide boys start playing around with football clubs :-0
  • Options
    Perhaps someone over watered the pitch?
  • Options

Perhaps someone over watered the pitch?

God ?

• Options
    They spent far too much money on brown envelopes some years ago. Never recovered. Stationary needs to be managed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah, unlike all the other times people said they were finished this is different. They're finished.
  • Options
    someone said when the league tables were shown on TV yesterday they still have to have another 10 points taken off is that true ?
  • Options

someone said when the league tables were shown on TV yesterday they still have to have another 10 points taken off is that true ?

yes. if they come out of admin they will get then.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Awful situation for the fans. Can you imagine if that was us? (shudder!)
  • Options
    Nearly was ....1984 and all that!
  • Options
    used to know a good few Pompey chaps----good guys----have to feel for em at mo.

Still the media love good old Harry Boy dont they
  • Options
    Ridiculous that a team should get into such a state consistently....surely they cant just be dissolved?
  • Options
    Won't happen. They'll get out of it again - and be allowed to do it again a bit further down the road.
  • Options
    TEL said:

Ridiculous that a team should get into such a state consistently....surely they cant just be dissolved?

I think they can TEL in which case they'll have to reinvent themselves as AFC Portsmouth and start at the bottom of the pyramid a la AFC Wimbledon.
  • Options

They spent far too much money on brown envelopes some years ago. Never recovered. Stationary needs to be managed.

Like that one, SHG !

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    sorry, but i don't feel any sympathy for them at all. First time they got out of administration should have been the last , but they didn't learn from it.

Also, whilst in the Premiership they spent millions on players instead of improving the ground - that is wrong and if they had do things the right way maybe they wouldn't be where they are today

whilst on the subject - Southampton should not be where there are either, I was wathging MOTD last night and thinking how well they have done, but then remembered they bought their way out of League One after going into Administration. This should not have been allowed and any money they subsequently had should have gone to the creditors who only got something like 10p in the £ a year or so before.
  • Options
    I always liked Pompey. I thought they were very much like us....small club with a good, small fan base that got up to the Premier League with hard work and determination and always seemed to be punching above their weight. However, when it all came out about the fees and wages that were being paid and the poor mismanagement at the top it's hard to feel any sympathy for the club. For the fans, yes, of course. They need either someone with a lot of money to come in and buy the club knowing that instant success isn't going to happen, or the fans need to start the club again, much like AFC Wimbledon or FC United, but knowing that they won't have Fratton Park or the history of the club, but keeping the identity.
  • Options
    I doubt that there is that "white knight" out there for them that would view them not as a business venture but more as a philanthropic purchase. If he was out there I think he might have come forward by now. As a business venture they are indeed doomed. Sorry for the fans I really am.
  • Options
    I thought the fans were trying to buy the club and ground. If they can get themselves run properly with their gates they should be CCC/L1. Of course, it is a big if.
  • Options
    Ideally they need a Pompey fan to win £100m on EuroMillions and buy the club with that.
  • Options
    I reckon they should reform and come back as AFC Portsmouth. That's the only way this nightmare will end for the supporters
  • Options
    Ross said:

I always liked Pompey. I thought they were very much like us....small club with a good, small fan base that got up to the Premier League with hard work and determination and always seemed to be punching above their weight.

When I first started watching Charlton in the mid-60s in the old Division 2, Pompey were always regular opponents - and a club similar in size to us who'd had a prolonged spell in the top League and won the FA Cup, but whose glory days were fading in the twilight of yesterdays.

In some ways, our subsequent history continued to run in parallels and I'm sorry to see them struggle against oblivion, even if it is as a result of colossal mismanagement.

But then I'm a football fan looking at it from a football fan's point of view.
    Pompey is supported by fans just like us.

For their sakes, I hope Pompey pull through.

• Options
    Feel really sorry for the fans, its not really there fault for what is happening as how many fans honestly would make a protest when your about to win the FA Cup, they surely could not have known how much they were over spending.

That being said if i was a Pompey fan id be considering the AFC Portsmouth route as a way of keeping my club and just getting past this terrible situation.

• Options
    Agree about the AFC Portsmouth route but I'm still not sure it would feel the same to me. Only way I can describe my feeling is with the analogy of having your pet dog die and getting a replacement. Not quite the same even if you do come to love the new mutt.
  • Options
    It would depend on who was involved for me, if it involved a club legend like CP/Deano/Kinsella being manager to help us rise from the ashes with someone like RM/PV helping with things behind the business, it would still be Charlton to me.