Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dilemma

Comments

• Cheers, will give that a go.

Just over a year old so still learning etc.

Thanks
  • Dog snappy because nervous. Small dogs because they are small are more nervous.
    If you have a garden/large kitchen.........keep the dog there till he/she gets used to you.
    Lots of treats by hand certainly help.
    Muzzle not ideal 24/7. Better off with a bite collar.

My girlfriend's parents have a Jack Russell who is generally harmless but if you touch her feet she will attack you. Don't know why. So we just don't touch her feet and put a muzzle on when we need to clean her etc.
    My mum's springer is the same. He's a real softie, but try to put ear drops in his ears or towell dry him after a walk and he'd have both your hands off, so much as look at you. Fear is the key really. She's had him 6 years and he's never changed unfortunately. When his ears got a but bad from the ear mites we couldn't do anything for him due to his behaviour so took him to the vets. the first one said he was dangerous and said he should be put down, which horrified my mum. not to be put off i took him to my dog's vet and he recognised straight away what was needed. he had 2 diazepam and came back. the vet and '2' assistants grabbed him and got the job done. dog sorted and happy mum.
  • This is a great thread. T.C.E - you're a real diamond you are. Mickey looks a real character. My ex has a Yorkie Poo and that dog is so intelligent and has so much character. Just looking at Mickey reminds me of her (the dog not the ex). I'm looking forward to seeing how Mickey works out. :-)
  • Mate he looks so happy

B we will chat in a week or so theres a good chance you wont need to nick him
  • Great thread.
    Ray, noticed recently that Buster seems to dislike kids (not a bad thing ;-) ): Over the park He's fine with people & other dogs,but, seems very weary around children. Any ideas why ?

• A dogs equivilant to a teething ring............A kong, about 6/8 quid fill it with favourite treats and peanut butter at the ends to stop the falling out, chuck it in the freezer until frozen. Keeps them amused for hours :)
    Your dogs chewing you favourite furniture??..............Vics Sinex, spread it on there. With their sense of smell they dont go back and it does them no harm. ;)
    Sorry.....but a dog chews because its bored, a kong or alike will help but at the end of the day he wants your company. ;)
    Ignore the excitement, if she is leaping around the house when you get home, leave the room, she'll learn..........all four feet on the floor, before she gets fussed. Its simple really, but we as humans complicate it.
    Toilet training........Straight after food, a kip or exercise....Outside until she has a dump or a piss (Sorry thats my terminology for Bailey and Xena) ;) If it takes 30 seconds or 30 minutes outside you stay.

Cheers TCE. We've got a little Kong thingy but not seen it for a few weeks. Madam has hidden it! Will invest in a new one. And we will be stricter with the toilet training/four feet on the ground routine. She gets plenty of company as there is always someone here. I Like the Vic sinex tip. We bought some of that spray from the pet shop but it smells awful and does for my Athsma (one of the reasons we chose a Tibby). My wife uses Vic Spay a lot so we'll whack it on the sofas and skirting boards. Keep up the good work. You should set up a pet consultancy business! :-)
  • Just out with Bailey, MOG get back to you when we return.
  • Thanks. No rush, He's okay, just wondering why.
  • Lynne, has just been bitten.............Lol.
    Could been worse, it could have been me. ;)
    Micky has decided he likes his new grub so much he wanted to finish Xena's. Just as Lynne went to pick Xena's bowl up Micky decided to pursuade her otherwise, Lynne screamed so loud it made my ears bleed, Micky ran to his bed!! While Lynne cleaned the wound (its a tiny honest) and I laid on the floor laughing.... Micky spent 10 minutes hiding in his bed, on retuning Lynne called him over and Micky said sorry, (all mates again) as soon Micky approached Lynne's hand she gave a loud "Arrh" which to him ressembled a warning that if he bit again he would hear a noise worse than that. I'll be sorting the grub out at teatime, now where's that "Whip and Chair"..........
    Anyone know the best treatment for perforated ear drums?
    ;)
  • Dog snappy because nervous. Small dogs because they are small are more nervous.
    If you have a garden/large kitchen.........keep the dog there till he/she gets used to you.
    Lots of treats by hand certainly help.
    Muzzle not ideal 24/7. Better off with a bite collar.

My girlfriend's parents have a Jack Russell who is generally harmless but if you touch her feet she will attack you. Don't know why. So we just don't touch her feet and put a muzzle on when we need to clean her etc.
    My mum's springer is the same. He's a real softie, but try to put ear drops in his ears or towell dry him after a walk and he'd have both your hands off, so much as look at you. Fear is the key really. She's had him 6 years and he's never changed unfortunately. When his ears got a but bad from the ear mites we couldn't do anything for him due to his behaviour so took him to the vets. the first one said he was dangerous and said he should be put down, which horrified my mum. not to be put off i took him to my dog's vet and he recognised straight away what was needed. he had 2 diazepam and came back. the vet and '2' assistants grabbed him and got the job done. dog sorted and happy mum.

I hope you went back to the first vet and had right good go at them. Shocking.
  • Sponsored links:

• Great thread.
    Ray, noticed recently that Buster seems to dislike kids (not a bad thing ;-) ): Over the park He's fine with people & other dogs,but, seems very weary around children. Any ideas why ?

Dislike as dont know what they are?
    With Labs, everybody loves them from puppies through to adults. With Sheps, most people just love then as a puppy.
    I'll only offer any sort of advice on any experience I've had and with Bailey and from a puppy through to adult I've had him associated with children. Children (like puppies) as we know are a clean sheet of paper and while they are small and cuddly they love them, children know fear of dogs as it is what we install in them, what we should teach them is to respect dogs.
    How often do you see a child or adult for that matter, greet a dog for the first time by trying to stroke his head? what does the dog do? it lifts his head to smell you, you immediately remove your hand thinking its going to bite as I said before the movement encourages excitement = playtime, in a child/adults head that's aggression
    With respect as you jokingly said about disliking children, I would suggest that Buster doesnt associate much with children and when you walk him you walk from A to B to exercise him and nothing is going to get in your way. When I walk Bailey and a child so much as glances in his direction, I immediately stop and ask if they would like to say hello, if the answer is positive then I'll ask the adult with them if its ok. The reasons being, getting the children around dogs, getting my dogs around children and trying to remove the stigma associated with German Shepherd Breed.
    A long winded answer MOG, take him for walks at kicking out time at the local school get him around them, talk to him and reassure him that they wont harm him. If they show an interest in him and ask to stroke him, ask them to make a fist so he can smell them and as they approach using your leg push your dog away holding onto a short lead this will turn Buster around and they then stroke the blunt end and Buster will realize they mean him know harm and over time he'll enjoy it.

• Ray please tell Lynne I am sorry the little fecka gets his feet under the table being all nice then he does it

Just goes to show he still needs his teeth removed

Bad bad Mickey butter wouldn't melt then pit bull attitude
  • Ray please tell Lynne I am sorry the little fecka gets his feet under the table being all nice then he does it

Just goes to show he still needs his teeth removed

Bad bad Mickey butter wouldn't melt then pit bull attitude

It happens mate, "you play with dogs you get bitten"
    I've been bitten by Bailey more times than enough and we were just training.
    It happens, Lynne was getting over confident it was a reminder to and also now I'm serving tea he best watch his table manners. ;)

• Is there any way do you think to stop that snappy attitude

That's the one thing that will stop him coming here as the Missus and rightly so won't have him near Scarlett

• He's used making the rules (sorry mate) He's just about to find out different. He's just tried lay next to Lynne's sofa, Xena has just lay there and told him to feck off. ;)
  • Good enough for him bailey and xena should give him a little lesson in what happens if you bite
  • I've just looked outside this thread, I cant believe others are talking about football...........;(
  • Why ? Are CAFC playing in the snow ?
  • Well we met Mickey tonight and what a lovely little man. Dal if any problems he has a home here. We would look after him. So just let us know.

• T.C.E said:

I've just looked outside this thread, I cant believe others are talking about football...........;(

We'll be back on Monday :-)

• Sponsored links:

• What a pleasant evening with you both, next time I pop out to walk Bailey I'll have proper meal first first ;). No sooner you left the pub Bailey was behind the bar helping out. Bailey has a tug partner in Ian and the disgrace in getting to tracking a target by a Yorkie..... Will Bailey ever live it down... ;)
  • No probs b I will chat to mum and bridey on Monday

If they both agree I dont see it being a problem

Thanks to all of you
  • Quality thread best on CL.
  • edited January 2013
    Mickey having a word with the millwall fans at the bar.
    Whoops deleted that as other people in pic.

• Micky's B*ll*xed that'll teach him to go the pi55 with Bailey.......... ;)
  • edited January 2013
    Bailey, Xena and Micky...............
    imageimage
  • Quick update

Hope those involved dont mind

After speaking to mickeys owner and my mum

Curb it and Tav will be taking the little fella once doctor raylittle has finished his boot camp

I cant explain how much pressure this has removed from all of us and how happy it will make bridie knowing mick will be in a headlock

I mean good hands and get the life he deserves after the last 12 months he has had to deal with

This place is head and shoulders the best football forum with some of the best people

Dont mess this up mick you have a great chance now
  • I would say Mickey deserves some good things to happen to him.
  • That's great news for Micky, who loves his 6.00am ;) walk with Xena and waits by the door once his collar is on, he asks to go out for a "dump" He still thinks he can gets his own way when he doesnt want to door something. :( He is slowly coming around to playing with Xena. Loves his new diet and never leaves a thing. All round he is a super little fella who just needs a settled home life now, which is what he's going to get. :)
  • It really is great news Ray and you and Lynne have been brilliant in helping the transition i really cant thank you all enough

beers on me Sat i will be in the Lib from about midday