Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Watford v Charlton Athletic 2013 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Kap10 said:

Of course, it sounds like a great performance. What doesn't stack up for me is the high marks that the defenders have recorded on the player ratings thread when we have conceded three. Can any of those attending explain?

Whenever we win players will automatically get higher marks, just from the feel good factor
    To some extent yes but my scores for the back 5 plus explanation would, nevertheless, have been as follows:-

Hamer 7 - May have done better with first goal but made some cracking saves 2nd half.
    Solly 7.5 - Normal service exhibited, oozing class; may have done better with 1st goal.
    Cort 8 - Man mountain no nonsense defending does what it says on tin kept us in the game 1st half,
    Dervite 6 - Could have done better for 1st & 3rd goals as he stood there like a traffic cone & also conceded a penalty, kept going though and otherwise did ok. I prefer Morro when available.
    Evina 7 - Great going forward instrumental in our 2nd goal defensively has more to offer getting better each game.

Although 3 goals conceded Watford are a potent force up top with tricky skilful players who are a big central defenders worst nightmare when they run at you with pace. I think the lads did great to keep it to 3. Hope this helps put some flesh on the bones.
  • Options
    Watford fans didn't see us this time yesterday when it was crisis o'clock because we'd lost three games recently. The outpouring of joy on here is relief from the wrist-slitters that the world isn't ending and joy from the happy-clappers that we've shown what we can do against a technically decent side. I wasn't there so I can't comment on their diving but having spent 3 seasons watching L1 football I don't think a team going to ground easily would get much slack from me. Toughen up.

Really happy to see Yann's name on the scoresheet twice. He's got far too much stick on these boards for absolutely no reason. Hopefully he's silenced that now. Always turns up when it counts does old Yann. Players like him and Jacko aren't the players who are going to be leading us to the Premiership by storming the Championship but their commitment and willingness to work for the team and get those important goals is priceless. Really happy today
  • Options

Massive praise due to Chris Powell.
    Watford were flying and have some class players at this level.
    Sound like he set up the team perfectly.

And no passenger loan signings.
    Better hope nobody comes in with a big offer for Pritchard.
    Sounds like he had a blinder.
    Big up for all that traveled today.

we were fantastic today and the way we just fought back and each and every player standing up for each other Hamer is worth a fortune best young english keeper there is,outstanding,havent seen us so threatening so much for a long time,hamer,fuller,kerm,jacko all top notch,RD were great all cogregated at the front giving it large but not over the top,respect to you boys,great day happy new year to you all

• Options
    Pritch wouldn't leave
  • Options
    Watford football club as whole really are a joke. Just a team made up of players who couldn't give a crap about their club, wonder how their thick fans can turn up and watch a team that couldn't really care about them each week?

Special mention to the 90 minute silence they held. Very enjoyable to see from them and reminded very much of the last time we were there when they held another 90 minute silence
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    A little harsh. There's been times when The Valleys been a dead, even when we were top of L1!

They can't control the acts of their players and they didnt make too much fuss when their players went down.

A few bellends on a forum don't speak for the majority of their fans. Imagine if that was the case on here!

We deserved the win and most of them will now it.
  • Options
    I love Jacko to bits and I don't need to say anymore.
  • Options
    Glad we put this bunch of divers in their place.Their antics in October was disgraceful.
  • Options
    Football fans on football message board in spouting biased bollocks on football message board shocker.
  • Options
    Rob62 said:

Nice to see Jackson and kermorgant showing they still have a lot to offer. Having a natural left back who can offer width, allowing Jackson to drift inside makes a massive difference to our team IMO

Spot on with this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:

True..I do remember that.

Not saying we don't do it...as I say maybe others haven't bothered to bring it up (having read the Forest forum after we'd beat them you'd thought we were from the Blue Square south!) and Wolves fans just think its the end of the world...

You are certainly right about Forestieri and I'll concur with Neuton.

Anyway overall you earnt the 3 points and deserved them.

Good luck for the season..you'll be easily mid-table on that form.

Cheers.

Who was the fella that did the "comedy" falling backwards routine? Never seen anything so embarrassing. I genuinely thought he was just messing about at first.
    Neuton...TBH I just thought he was being silly as well.

Afterall he had been pretty good at making a fool of himself generally during the match.
  • Options

A little harsh. There's been times when The Valleys been a dead, even when we were top of L1!

They can't control the acts of their players and they didnt make too much fuss when their players went down.

A few bellends on a forum don't speak for the majority of their fans. Imagine if that was the case on here!

We deserved the win and most of them will now it.

Even at our worst the valley is never like that. That was worst home crowd I have ever heard.
  • Options
    The DJ wasn't doing much to help my hangover before the game. Shame the home support didn't seem to respond to his or the drumming mascots attempts to "get behind the Golden boys"
  • Options
    I expected a draw, a win is just great and will be good for morale, starting 2012 with a win against a very good team. I listened to the game on 5Live xtra and got the impression that we were the better team throughout and Fuller/Pritchard were men of the match with Stephens and Dervite not far behind
  • Options
    edited January 2013

I expected a draw, a win is just great and will be good for morale, starting 2012 with a win against a very good team. I listened to the game on 5Live xtra and got the impression that we were the better team throughout and Fuller/Pritchard were men of the match with Stephens and Dervite not far behind

Wakey wakey Lincs its now 2013 :-) and Dervite did ok but was the worst of the back 5 imo.
  • Options
    This has to be one of the most unpredictable CAFC teams and come to that league as well. Honestly I thought we were in for a torrid time at Watford but the lads stepped up to the plate yet again and produced a fantastic result. Terrific game from what I hear (you don't see much on the TV) and a great effort as said if we can get rid of The Valley hoodoo against Blackpool then with 36 points we are nicely placed.
  • Options
    yawn .. my first misuse of the correct year this year of 2013 .. thanks for the wake up call sleepy-head
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    In the good old days of writing cheques, this time of year was real fun; will the bank bounce them out of date or won't they?........Sensibly you used to get a few week's grace :-)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I don't think it is entirely fair for us to be critical of Zola. Watford have the link with Udinese and he has access to talented but theatrical players. He has to play them, but their gamesmanship doesn't go down well in this country. I know that they will see diving as a skill to be mastered, just like any other skill - it's what Italians do. but it is annoying to watch. They are young and need to learn to curb it as it won't help them with refs in this league. I think Powell has shown other clubs how to play against Watford and I can't see them sustaining a play off place.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Zola's dive was superb after he thought they'd scored the winner with their 3rd Ha ha; Anyone else see him stack it in the technical area?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2013

I don't think it is entirely fair for us to be critical of Zola. Watford have the link with Udinese and he has access to talented but theatrical players. He has to play them, but their gamesmanship doesn't go down well in this country. I know that they will see diving as a skill to be mastered, just like any other skill - it's what Italians do. but it is annoying to watch. They are young and need to learn to curb it as it won't help them with refs in this league. I think Powell has shown other clubs how to play against Watford and I can't see them sustaining a play off place.

Might be a bit harsh just to blame them though...

Bale,Suarez and Young aren't..

Nor are the number 5 or 41 themselves.

• Options
    Posting a day after the match but having read all previous posts.

This game brought back memories of THE Play Off Final. First they score, then we score, then we score again etc. Fantastic to watch , especially I suspect for any neutrals present. Would have been a brilliant one to televise ! But then again, that might have put several of our players firmly in the shop window....

An afternoon of fluctuating emotions : depression, excitement, frustration, anger but ultimately total euphoria which has lasted since Mr K finally blew that new whistle which was so obviously a present from Santa. Together with the Udinese Reserves' antics, he definitely contributed to the best panto I have ever witnessed. Oh yes he did !!

Others have said it all really - SUCH fantastic team spirit with our lads definitely playing for the gaffer IYKWIM. It would be unkind to choose a MOM - there were 11 of them out there yesterday , heroes all. But I won't underestimate the difference our tremendous away support made , not for the first or last time this season. It was an honour to be a part of that.

Respect to super_horns for his generous comments but there really are no excuses for the actions of the 11 Tom Daleys in the yellow. Who cares where they learned their trade ? They're playing in England now and need to heed the proverb " When in Rome..." or maybe not !

If we can build on yesterday's win, maintain that strength of character in the team and approach every game with that fighting spirit, we will undoubtedly win more than we lose. I love this group of players & their manager but most of all , I am SO proud to support a team of honest lads who can hold their heads high when others "around" them are losing theirs. As I posted on another thread, cheats never prosper ...Mr Z please take note ! Big sign needed for the dressing room maybe ?

Onwards & upwards !!!

• Options
    Great post Fanny, also still on high from yesterday. There is a great spirit in the team and although his form this season has been patchy I do have to say JJ is a true leader of men. He always gives absolutely everything he's got and you can see it rubs off.
  • Options
    No true,..we just need to play as we have done in the previous 12 or so matches bar Hull (best team we've played)

I am pretty certain if we had Hall/Hogg and Deeney in the side we would have not come across as such a bunch of cheats.
  • Options

No true,..we just need to play as we have done in the previous 12 or so matches bar Hull (best team we've played)

I am pretty certain if we had Hall/Hogg and Deeney in the side we would have not come across as such a bunch of cheats.

Thanks, super_horns. Hope your gaffer can sort the boys out for the sake of your fans who surely don't enjoy the reputation.

• Options
    I commented on it yesterday but top marks to Super_horns.

He represents his club well.
  • Options

Posting a day after the match but having read all previous posts.

This game brought back memories of THE Play Off Final. First they score, then we score, then we score again etc. Fantastic to watch , especially I suspect for any neutrals present. Would have been a brilliant one to televise ! But then again, that might have put several of our players firmly in the shop window....

An afternoon of fluctuating emotions : depression, excitement, frustration, anger but ultimately total euphoria which has lasted since Mr K finally blew that new whistle which was so obviously a present from Santa. Together with the Udinese Reserves' antics, he definitely contributed to the best panto I have ever witnessed. Oh yes he did !!

Others have said it all really - SUCH fantastic team spirit with our lads definitely playing for the gaffer IYKWIM. It would be unkind to choose a MOM - there were 11 of them out there yesterday , heroes all. But I won't underestimate the difference our tremendous away support made , not for the first or last time this season. It was an honour to be a part of that.

Respect to super_horns for his generous comments but there really are no excuses for the actions of the 11 Tom Daleys in the yellow. Who cares where they learned their trade ? They're playing in England now and need to heed the proverb " When in Rome..." or maybe not !

If we can build on yesterday's win, maintain that strength of character in the team and approach every game with that fighting spirit, we will undoubtedly win more than we lose. I love this group of players & their manager but most of all , I am SO proud to support a team of honest lads who can hold their heads high when others "around" them are losing theirs. As I posted on another thread, cheats never prosper ...Mr Z please take note ! Big sign needed for the dressing room maybe ?

Onwards & upwards !!!

That says it all, Fanny - excellent post, and restores my faith in the (main) content of CL !

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Posted without reading any comments (as Len would say).

Brilliant. What a gutsy performance. Watford, as with most teams in this division, were technically better, but very good play & a hell of a lot of guts saw us through.

I was so proud at the end, because if we can win there, we know we have a chance virtually anywhere, as long as we are on our game & give maximum effort. We've got too much character to get relegated & a lot of this is due to Chris Powell.

Hamer had an excellent game, making a few very good saves.
    Solly was great as usual.
    Evina had an excellent game and is far better than Seabourne getting forward.
    Dervite I'm afraid got done for pace a few times, but Watford's forwards are very quick. He did battle on manfully.
    Cort was also struggling against their pace, but battled very well.
    Wilson, as usual played very well with a great deal of energy.
    Pritchard was everywhere & if had his shooting boots on should have had a hat trick.
    Stephens, is putting in more effort & tackling & did well.
    Jackson - see Stephens.
    Fuller, battled well & set up a great goal, but looked lacking energy in the 1st half..
    Kermo battled well & of course got 2 goals.

Cook did well when he came on as did Hulse & Taylor.

Watford were diving around & feigning injury from the off. Their No 5 Neuton was a disgrace, at least twice he went down clutching his face, for nothing.
    Forristieri (the shit that got sent off at The Valley for diving) did a "hand of God", the cheating p**ck & was also diving around.
    Watford are a disgrace to English football (11 Nicky Bailey's) & I'd hate to watch that cheating every week.
    They also absolutely drenched the pitch at HT. Not illegal, but poor sportsmanship.

IMO the main reason we won was the performance of the midfield, because the defence & attack pretty much played their usual games.

But Pritchard was outstanding. Wilson brings much needed energy and both Stephens & Jacko put in much more running & tackling than they have in most games & it makes all the difference.

Loved the way we managed to keep the ball near the corner flag for the whole of added time. Well done Hulse, Cook & Fuller.

Still dead chuffed today.
  • Options
    I thought that centre halves rolling around like those golden boys were yesterday only happened in the premierleague!

Frimpong did Ok for us but we won't miss him whilst Brad P is in the centre.I think we get more going forward with pritch than from Frim.
    The team looks nicely balanced with JJ in the wide position. Ceddy done well also.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    There are some absolute idiots on that Watford forum. Real delusions of grandeur...

"Thinking about it, it must be jealousy. They seem so glad in beating us that they have to tell everyone about it. To them we must be one of the teams to knock of their perch, we shouldn't be looking at them as the Jeremy Kyle rejects that they are and look at them instead as a set of fans who know that they can't have the same quality players as us so beating us is a massive win for them. I think we should take it as a backhanded compliment."

Yes, we're really jealous of your crap home support and three sided stadium. Not mentioning the "quality players" that won't be there next season and you'll be no better off for it as you will still be in this league. With us. And when you don't get promoted, you'll be back on the managerial merry go round.

It was a great win because it was an exciting game that was won against a bunch of cheats. As for kicking Watford players "up in the air", how about growing a pair of bollocks and stop making excuses. You were beat by the better team on the day.

Massive, massive Watford.

EDIT: Fair play for your comments Super_Horns, wish the rest of your support was as humble.