Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Watford v Charlton Athletic 2013 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    Fully deserved win against as a side that I would truly be embarrassed to support. From the bizarre seemingly homo-erotic constant references to "your golden boys" by the announcer to the blatantly cheating antic of the players. When the fella rolled over backwards in the second half I really couldn't believe what I was seeing!

Great performance from the boys. Special mention to Jackson for his effort, work rate and for leading by example. So pleased he got the winner.

Hopefully this win will shut the suicide squad up - for five minutes at least.
  • Options
    Great game with brilliant atmos in the Charlton end - well done all. Sounded like the proverbial library from Watford though - ironic moment of the day, them playing "all is quiet on new year's day" at half time.

Good battling game, we had a proper Charlton side out there and everyone worked for each other. Particularly good to see how well the midfield worked. Watford looked very clinical when going forward, but it looked like their defence had half an eye on their forthcoming cup game.

Here's the first and last goals. Sorry, I missed Kermorgant's ones:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPFFbtiysGY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHGn1BAG5lE
  • Options
    That is one of the great away performances. All of them put in a shift including Hamer who made up for the 1st goal with 2 excellant saves second half. The fact that we should have scored more than 4 away from home speaks volumes for how good we were.

The midfield 4 were excellant and Fuller is an absolute meanace to any defence when he can get some decent service.

Watford on the other hand are a complete disgarce. There have a team that when attacking are really good and can go through any team in this league, in fact i reckon that the 41 could well be the best player in the divsion. BUT the nonsence they get up to are a joke. 41 was sent off at The Valley and blatently cheated today when trying to score with his hand. The 5 tried on 3 sepearte occasions to get Fuller sent off with the most blatent play acting even a referee of Kettle's standard could see through it.
  • Options
    @Super-Horns , refreshing to hear an honest assessment of today's game. Best I've seen us play and probably the only time we've ever chased a game from 2-1 & 3-2 and win. We were massively up for it today and deserving of the win. The ref and lino tried to help you but in the end justice prevailed. You have some fine individual talent, 41 is awesome, of only he lost his gamesmanship and cheating. Good luck for the rest of the season. What a Happy New Year!!!
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Fully deserved win against as a side that I would truly be embarrassed to support. From the bizarre seemingly homo-erotic constant references to "your golden boys" by the announcer to the blatantly cheating antic of the players. When the fella rolled over backwards in the second half I really couldn't believe what I was seeing!

Great performance from the boys. Special mention to Jackson for his effort, work rate and for leading by example. So pleased he got the winner.

Hopefully this win will shut the suicide squad up - for five minutes at least.

I thought you loved the Golden Boy remarks. Top day out hombre!! Xx
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Trouble is both are very young and probably been brought up to do it more than some of the more regular/senior players like Abdi and Vydra who don't try to fake incidents.

In general its not good to for the game and like with the abuse toward officials it needs to be stamped out strongly.

• Options
    Stig said:

Great game with brilliant atmos in the Charlton end - well done all. Sounded like the proverbial library from Watford though - ironic moment of the day, them playing "all is quiet on new year's day" at half time.

Good battling game, we had a proper Charlton side out there and everyone worked for each other. Particularly good to see how well the midfield worked. Watford looked very clinical when going forward, but it looked like their defence had half an eye on their forthcoming cup game.

Here's the first and last goals. Sorry, I missed Kermorgant's ones:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPFFbtiysGY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHGn1BAG5lE

@Stig why can I hear what's happening but there's no video playing? Do I have to change a setting or something?
  • Options
    sounded like a cracking game on the radio, end to end stuff. Quite funny listening to both commentators on 5 live sports extra make such a pigs ear of Kermorgants name. Great way to start the year and was worried we might get turned over by a team in good form. Bring on the Hudds who will be reeling after a thumping at Leicester.
  • Options
    I've no idea BA, all I know is that they are working OK for me. Can you see them from this link?
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvemriM0Vw54k3ibitAZmSA?feature=mhee
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sparse looking away end in tat video. Not.
  • Options
    Well thanks to all those loan players in the starting 11 eh?
  • Options
    Enjoying the abuse I'm getting on twitter for commenting that while Watford have great skill and passing they ruin it with all the cheating and diving. Selected sour grapes -

Lee South ‏@leesouth
    @nickbaynes what are you on about you clown? What match were you watching

Brad Simmons ‏@SimmonsB95
    @nickbaynes And Charlton, such an average team being carried by Ricardo Fuller - Powell's a top bloke so it's a shame they're all thugs

Dave Anderson ‏@daveanderson96
    @nickbaynes cheat and dive? What are you on about?

Chris Bottom ‏@ChrisBottom16
    @nickbaynes says the team whos playerlaid down for 6 mintues with cramp??? yeeea boi good one!
  • Options
    Oh and -

Iain campbell ‏@Campbell7Iain
    @nickbaynes you bellend !

But that could be about anything.
  • Options

Of course, it sounds like a great performance. What doesn't stack up for me is the high marks that the defenders have recorded on the player ratings thread when we have conceded three. Can any of those attending explain?

Whenever we win players will automatically get higher marks, just from the feel good factor
  • Options

Oh and -

Iain campbell ‏@Campbell7Iain
    @nickbaynes you bellend !

But that could be about anything.

lol
  • Options
    Fantastic Win....Excellent Away Game. You can't beat winning away.

Watford used a 5-3-2 to 3-5-2 system, pushing the wing backs forward in attacking play, outside a three man Central Midfield. CP set the team up really well in a lop-sided 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 system, with Wilson pushing onto the left wing back, Jacko tucking inside on the left as the third central midfielder to go three-against-three in the middle, and with Evina picking up the right wing back as he moved forward (Fuller also worked across to pick him up in the front-line).
    We struggled to get into the game in the opening half-hour, when Watford dominated possession, but after the equaliser and the quick second goal, the "gloves came off" and we stepped it up as in the Cardiff home game. The last hour was like a middleweight title fight - Hagler v Hearns - in which both sides traded punches and we came out on top with some big hay-makers.

Fuller & Kermorgant led from the front taking on the Three Watford Centre Backs and causing them problems throughout; Pritchard popped up in some great positions inside the box but couldn't finish (his standing foot is often unstable causing him to hit across the ball); Solly and Wilson combined really well on the right again; Jacko scored with a great header but should have taken a great chance at 2-2; Hamer made another Pat Jennings save at point blank range.

CP hasn't got his team selection & Tactics right in every game, but he has got it right on the majority of occasions. He deserves full credit for this one.

Watford were cheating, diving, and play-acting as at the Valley. They should join the Italian League. Their numptie fans must be embarrassed by their antics. They've been brought up on the honest values of Graham Taylor and more recently Malky Mackay. Just goes to show what some fans of some clubs will put up with to win a few games.

3 points against Blackpool in the next league match will give us a total of 36, from which we should be comfortable. A vital win today.

• Options
    Defo not a sparse away end looks full got to be 2000 odd
  • Options
    I must say your the only set of fans we've had really go on about the play acting...

Other opposition fans have just be moaning losing to little old Watford (Forest/Wolves) or admitted we played well (Brighton)

Hopefully next seasonif we met (I think we will) we can show a better side to us.

Your right to point out GT was a credit to the club..nice to see somebody suggest he was a decent manager who ran the club well.

Shame the media of the 80s didn't seem to think so..;)
  • Options
    edited January 2013

I must say your the only set of fans we've had really go on about the play acting...

Other opposition fans have just be moaning losing to little old Watford (Forest/Wolves) or admitted we played well (Brighton)

Hopefully next seasonif we met (I think we will) we can show a better side to us.

Your right to point out GT was a credit to the club..nice to see somebody suggest he was a decent manager who ran the club well.

Shame the media of the 80s didn't seem to think so..;)

I don't think it's just us. Before we played you earlier in the season someone from another team (Udders?) was on here warning us - and the main person he warned us about ended up getting sent off for diving.

However, you seem like a decent chap. Fair play to you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    nolly said:

Defo not a sparse away end looks full got to be 2000 odd

We're you there nolly?
  • Options
    No , but I'm not hating
  • Options
    Fantastic, if we can find a way to get it right at home we will be dangerous. Funny old league this.
  • Options
    nolly said:

No , but I'm not hating

Pity. You missed a good un. Away end was a bit sparse mind you.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    True..I do remember that.

Not saying we don't do it...as I say maybe others haven't bothered to bring it up (having read the Forest forum after we'd beat them you'd thought we were from the Blue Square south!) and Wolves fans just think its the end of the world...

You are certainly right about Forestieri and I'll concur with Neuton.

Anyway overall you earnt the 3 points and deserved them.

Good luck for the season..you'll be easily mid-table on that form.

• Options
    Yep my dads birthday today he enjoyed it
  • Options

True..I do remember that.

Not saying we don't do it...as I say maybe others haven't bothered to bring it up (having read the Forest forum after we'd beat them you'd thought we were from the Blue Square south!) and Wolves fans just think its the end of the world...

You are certainly right about Forestieri and I'll concur with Neuton.

Anyway overall you earnt the 3 points and deserved them.

Good luck for the season..you'll be easily mid-table on that form.

Cheers.

Who was the fella that did the "comedy" falling backwards routine? Never seen anything so embarrassing. I genuinely thought he was just messing about at first.
  • Options
    The handball annoyed me more than the diving. He would have happily tapped into the empty net and ran off celebrating if he got away with it the little scrote.

Havent seen jacko's mind you
  • Options
    Was interested in Watford fans views on the game and came across this classic on http://www.wfcforums.com/showthread.php?45052-Charlton-fans/page2 in a thread entitled Charlton Fans

From 'domthehornet':

"They truly are pathetic, they've won a game against a team significally better than them quality wise (I mean that in a respectful manner) and yet they want to rub the salt in? They truly believe they are a massive club who belongs at the top. Is that what winning League One does to you? Maybe that is where they belong."

Anyway... was at the game today and of course delighted with the 3 points. Really thought we fought hard, gave Watford with no time on the ball a lot of the time. The only gripe I had was that we gave them far too much time around the box which is exactly what they wanted so that they could spread the ball as much as possible. Great to score 4 away from home and hopefully can kickstart another little run.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    haha domthehornet ^