Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Watford v Charlton Athletic 2013 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    Johnnie Jackson ‏@johnnie_jackson
    Thank you all for the lovely messages and support.Blinding day all round.So proud to skipper this group of lads.
  • Options

Super_horns

Really puzzled as to why Vydra didn't start. What do you think?

Probably just resting him along with Deeney to give Geijo a go.

Our real problem was the lack of defending or tackling in midfield.

Really you could have scored more...our inexperienced showed.

You are a gentleman, Super horns.

Just listening to them on BBC London talking about four games in ten days and how it is a real shock for foreign players. guess that was part of Zolas thinking

• Options
    can't believe we're apparently a physical side... in 12 years of going i've never once thought that!
  • Options

Super_horns

Really puzzled as to why Vydra didn't start. What do you think?

Probably just resting him along with Deeney to give Geijo a go.

Our real problem was the lack of defending or tackling in midfield.

Really you could have scored more...our inexperienced showed.

You are a gentleman, Super horns.

Just listening to them on BBC London talking about four games in ten days and how it is a real shock for foreign players. guess that was part of Zolas thinking

We only played 3 and seemed ok on Saturday ofcourse.

I think they are looking for an excuse TBH.

Zola said the players were prepared.

I think its more we made changes due to injury (Hall and Hogg were injured)

• Options
    Just saw the goals on SSN. Not sure why everyone was saying Hamer should have done more for the 1st goal it didn't look like there was too much more he could have done. Jeff did comment that it wasn't great defending for their 3rd goal though.
  • Options
    Fantastic day out - very exciting game.
    Our team showed real grit! Fuller's work for the third goal was superb.

Evina settling into the team and Jacko battling for everything. Pritchard everywhere as usual but needs to start burying his chances.

Watford mascot made me laugh - awesome dance moves and desperate attempts to get their support going.

Our supporters stuck behind the team once again!

Great start to the New Year! Watford have some class players but our players wanted it more.

• Options

....... but our players wanted it more.

That's exactly what I like to read!
  • Options
    Wow what a performance and result!

The lads certainly dug deep and kept going , really proud of them today , can't believe we almost threw away a 2-1 win! :-0

No seriously when the first goal went in after what 10 minutes , i feared a landslide of goals appearing , but this result shows the character & determination in the team

Credit where its due they battled for everything , Pritchard was immense again , if he could work on his composure and finishing ( 3 chances) he would be top top drawer.

I was appalled at the play acting by the Watford players chucking themselves on the floor for no reason at times , it was embarrassing , the ref also gave some shocking decisons , i think he disallowed 2 of their goals to try and even things up, i was starting to think the game was a fix by some dodgy italian mafia mob.
  • Options
    Everybody worked hard and Evina was a revelation as was Jackson why can't they work this hard at home?
  • Options

Everybody worked hard and Evina was a revelation as was Jackson why can't they work this hard at home?

It is strange. The amount of 2nd balls we won today is more than at home all season!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Before the game, I would not have been surprised to see BWP starting, based on the received wisdom that you don't drop players who have done well in the previous game. But of course I am not a football professional.
    I am absolutely convinced that if BWP had been preferred to Fuller, we would have lost.
    So I submit that CP won us the three points today, just as he threw away two points against Derby for not hauling Morro off at half time, according to some.
  • Options
    Great result, made my day, considering I spent most of the afternoon unblocking the toilet down pipe, manhole covers up, the lot. Even brought a smile to my face.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

It's a bit of a cliche but might I suggest that the level of commitment and effort put in today by all accounts could be directly related to the absence of any loanees in the starting line up? Imo Hulse has been the only one who has worked out well for us.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

It's a bit of a cliche but might I suggest that the level of commitment and effort put in today by all accounts could be directly related to the absence of any loanees in the starting line up? Imo Hulse has been the only one who has worked out well for us.
    I definitely think this could be the case. A lot of loan signings definitely don't put in enough effort.
  • Options

Before the game, I would not have been surprised to see BWP starting, based on the received wisdom that you don't drop players who have done well in the previous game. But of course I am not a football professional.
    I am absolutely convinced that if BWP had been preferred to Fuller, we would have lost.
    So I submit that CP won us the three points today, just as he threw away two points against Derby for not hauling Morro off at half time, according to some.

I wasnt there but it does sound like Powell has instilled a never say die attitude! Great work today by the manager! Looking forward to seeing who he brings in!
  • Options

Have to agree, Fuller and Kermorgant terrorised their two centre-halves who didn't look that strong physically.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Best game of the season so far - even beating the win over Cardiff. 2nd game in a row where we had no loanees in the starting 11 and it showed - character & commitment from all 14 players (even Jordan Cook showed some nice touches in the 5 mins he was on) and my MOTM must go to Pritchard, closely followed by JJ (who could have had a hat-trick). Special mention goes to Ceddy for his run & cross for our 2nd goal - just shows why a naturaL LB should be playing LB !!

If I don't ever go back to Watford it will be a moment too soon - horrible town with no car parking except the multi-story car parks which when you try to exit you find the ticket machines don't work - horrible team where every player takes it it turns to fall over and play dead - terrible fans who make no noise and were quieter than Arsenal & Fulham p-ut together and still have a whole side of the pitch closed due to a ramshackle stand thas just about to fall down.

Final mention goes to the winning goal - I was right behind it about 10 rows back and the moment the ball left JJ's head I knew it was in...............you f*******g beauty !!!

• Options
    Of course, it sounds like a great performance. What doesn't stack up for me is the high marks that the defenders have recorded on the player ratings thread when we have conceded three. Can any of those attending explain?
  • Options
    You not try any of the school parking?

Your right about the multi-stories but its a case of looking harder.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Of course, it sounds like a great performance. What doesn't stack up for me is the high marks that the defenders have recorded on the player ratings thread when we have conceded three. Can any of those attending explain?

The third goal was poor defending from the two CB's, but the first was a bit of a scab goal from hamers parry and the second was a pen.

Hamer tipped a couple of deflections over the bar, but wasn't that busy.

Cort and Dervite did well against two very good forwards and solly and Evina defended well but were even better in attacking support.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You not try any of the school parking?

Your right about the multi-stories but its a case of looking harder.

We're trainspotters not car park spotters pal
  • Options

It was a very end-to-end game. The amount of Watford attacks we dealt with far outweighed the goals they scored.
  • Options
    Brilliant day. Atmosphere top notch from our end.

Watching us off the ball today was what we are all about. Everyone giving 110% and on there touch the second they had the ball.

Hamer made some vital saves again today.
    Pritch and jacko all over the place. Stephens getting physical and putting his foot in. Wilson not putting a foot wrong too.

Solly his usual effin quality self. Evina showing us what he is capable of. That second goal was brilliant and it started with ceddy taking a couple of players on and playing a lovely little ball to pritch.

Yann won a lot in the air today but him and ricardo also held the ball up and brought other players into the game well.

As for watford, its already been said but they are a disgrace. The sort of stuff you dont want to see in football and it all started with the little git and the handball. Loved zola as a player but the team he manages are a complete embarassment
  • Options
    Found this on the Watford Forum couldn't have put it better myself.

"Tippy tappy sideways football by foreign fancy Dan's who dive and roll around on the floor 3 - 4 Good, old fashioned, English football, swinging it in the mixer. "

Hard fought win , good effort lads.
  • Options
    Great game and pleased I made the effort post excesses. Kermo, Fuller, Stevens and Jackson were immense but everyone played their part.

Jacko says he didnt touch the ball for his disallowed goal and booking

I now hate Watford, I thought the attitude of players and fans were a disgrace.
  • Options
    So much was good today.

Our second goal was one of the best team goals we've surely ever scored.

Evina was superb.

The midfield tackling was superb. If Watford can't handle it, boo hoo. Football is a physical game. And some of their tackles on our players were pretty cynical.

Fuller will frustrate and amaze in equal measure. His work for the third goal was magical.

What a great day.
  • Options
    From a Watford forum:

Finally though, well done Charlton. They got their tactics spot on and that's the way to play against us, especially at home. They gave us no time on the ball and got in our faces. It wasn't pretty football but it got them 4 goals and they should have had more truth be told (as should we, of course). Pretty dirty at times going in late and being physical, but that's one way of beating a team like us at the moment, and they did. I'd rather see a team beat us for more, shall we say, footballing reasons, but beat us they did. Fair play to them, and we didn't cover ourselves in glory anyway with FF's hand of god, Geijo's spasming on the floor after a strong header, and Neuton's backward roll in the 2nd half. We need to cut out a few stupid little elements of our game, and understand that we won't be able to play the same way every week in this division. I'm sure Zola knows this by now, and this will help us in the long run.
  • Options
    just seen the goals on SSN (cheers MOG for the reminder), great to start the new year with a win. A bit of a 'break' now with the cup on saturday though. COYR!
  • Options
    Away on holiday at the moment so it has been difficult getting on the match thread for the games. I managed to get on when it was halftime in realtime but started following the game from the beginning. I caught up realtime with about 2 mins to go before the end. What a game to follow and a totally unexpected result. What a bunch of battlers!! Huge credit to RedMidland, Seth, Paddy and others on the thread who really captured the atmosphere. I'm a very happy camper. :-)
  • Options

On CAFC twitter (with picture credit to @KGtopsnapper):

Brilliant photo Callum!