Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Glastonbury....

Comments

• Options

Baffling that Mumford and Sons are headlining tonight, so overrated. XX on the other stage should be great though.

The Xx are another I just don't get. They appear to be a total one trick pony with only one song. Am I missing something?
  • Options
    Both good bands
  • Options
    So why aren't we allowed to like Mumford & Sons? Just wanna check before I make my decision.
  • Options

So why aren't we allowed to like Mumford & Sons? Just wanna check before I make my decision.

you have my blessing VG if that helps?
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Ha, nice one Dane, I'm surprised the flag has survived three days !

give that man a slap on the back, cracking effort, well played to him!
  • Options
    Would rather go and see Phoenix on the 4th stage...
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Vinnie V. said:

The Xx are another I just don't get. They appear to be a total one trick pony with only one song. Am I missing something?

Their 2nd album disappointed me a bit but I think the one trick pony thing is a bit unfair, I mean sunset on the 2nd album sounded exactly like the beat to Infinity on the first but there is quite a lot of variation with the stuff Jamie does. The likes of VCR/Islands are pretty different to the others. Intro which they are playing now is pure instrumental and is pretty great.

Phoenix are on one of the stages at the moment as well who I like as well.

Mumford and Sons are far more "one trick pony" in my opinion and have a lot of dross before you get to the bigger songs that people have gone to see them for like Little Lion Man.
  • Options

Did anyone see The Strypes on the 8-9pm BBC3 slot yesterday. Irish band of 15 year olds. I thought they were bloody amazing for that age. Superb guitar playing & the front man was pretty cool. I would never have guessed they were 15.

Agree completely.

I love Mumfords but I don't think it is working,at least fm my sofa.
  • Options
    Saw the Strypes last Friday at islington academy. Knew nothing of them before the gig but they were amazing! Energy, skills etc. couldn't stop wanting to dance along! Stood next to their family too and we had just come back from a wedding in Cavan! Coincidence.

I liked what I saw of Mumford. I like all that banjo jingly jangly stuff.
  • Options
    Hope you didn't sneak into the matinee performance Suzi!! U-18s only, which I thought was a great idea for their younger fans.

My da's family are originally from Cavan, so always good to see someone from there doing well for themselves :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had a blast over the weekend, experiencing known and unknown bands to me. Faves were Crystal Castles, Rufus Wainwright and Bombay Royale (my tastes are broad), but found the RS very disappointing. I think that they forgot that they weren't playing to a predominantly RS fan base and as such the set list and instrumentals were overly self indulgent. A shorter set of biggest hits and a couple of lesser known tracks (to non fans) would have worked better. The TV coverage is very clever, lots of genuine fans at the front rocking, take the 1000 at the front out of the equation, the entire area I was in (a third back) simply found it dull and nobody was getting into it - a real pity, as they are absolute legends...
  • Options
    Enjoyed Bobby Womack. Top stuff
  • Options
    Fuck Buttons, Portishead and Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds.

All amazing sets.
  • Options
    redman said:

MrOneLung said:

As are all DGS alumni.

Just Mick Jagger I think, Keith Richards was Dartford High.
    Jagger was DGS, Keith Richards was at Dartford Tech as it was then: which is now Wilmington Grammar. They originally knew each other (but not very well) at Maypole primary school in Dartford.

Arguably the best band to come out of Dartford ?
  • Options
    Pavo said:

Had a blast over the weekend, experiencing known and unknown bands to me. Faves were Crystal Castles, Rufus Wainwright and Bombay Royale (my tastes are broad), but found the RS very disappointing. I think that they forgot that they weren't playing to a predominantly RS fan base and as such the set list and instrumentals were overly self indulgent. A shorter set of biggest hits and a couple of lesser known tracks (to non fans) would have worked better. The TV coverage is very clever, lots of genuine fans at the front rocking, take the 1000 at the front out of the equation, the entire area I was in (a third back) simply found it dull and nobody was getting into it - a real pity, as they are absolute legends...

I watched it on telly and have to agree. It was a very self indulgent set, every song seemed to end with a five minute guitar solo. Boring.
  • Options
    Chic were amazing and looked so cool. I love that old Disco sound.
  • Options

Don't drink in doors, but the Stones have got me cracking open the buds that have been in the fridge since Christmas.

Of course its not perfect, but for their age its incredible. Jagger is a ledge.

Was that the Buds or the Stones:-)

Was stuck on the M25 on Saturday night and fortunately they were live on R2, so managed to listen in. Great stuff, as always.
  • Options
    Watched and listened to a fair bit over the weekend on telly and radio. Was really impressed by Prof Green and Chic, great shows. Public Enemy's sounded a bit distorted unfortunately.
  • Options
    As no one has mentioned it I quite enjoyed Goat - a Swedish band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkzDxW4l4Ng
  • Options

Pavo said:

I watched it on telly and have to agree. It was a very self indulgent set, every song seemed to end with a five minute guitar solo. Boring.
    Disagree The Stones are a guitar based blues band, you may get some guitar work now and again! As good or bad as they play, boring it ain't!
    I thought Woody played really well, now he's kinda straightened out!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

They all look like kids to me.
  • Options
    I was expecting Billy Idol to come on and do some guest vocals.
  • Options
    What about brucie
  • Options
    I thought Johnny Marr's set was quite good, though it was noticeable that the crowd reacted far more when he played old Smiths songs than for any of the tracks from his latest album
  • Options

I really love Goat, the mid-afternoon set time did not do them justice at all - such a theatrical band. I saw them in Austin last month play an incredible set , it was midnight in a natural amphitheatre by the river - the stage was barely lit, with the crowd up really close, the sound crystal clear & the sense of mystery they generated was unbelievable. Of all the bands that played Glasto this year they would have been at the top of my must see list..so glad the BBC filmed & broadcast it.
  • Options
    Just watched PIL ...superb as always
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Just watched PIL ...superb as always

...and loved the GSTQ flag lol
  • Options
    The tomato fight was funny.
  • Options
    Sky +'d a lot of it but will probably never watch it.

I did however see three Mumford and Sons songs live but then went to sleep as it was more interesting.

Also 6 music have really been tearing the arse out of Glasto today, broadcasting 'live' music all day ain't that great, especially when you have professional northerner Mary Ann Hobbs having orgasms every time she slurred "Glasto come down".
  • Options

Sky +'d a lot of it but will probably never watch it.

I did however see three Mumford and Sons songs live but then went to sleep as it was more interesting.

Also 6 music have really been tearing the arse out of Glasto today, broadcasting 'live' music all day ain't that great, especially when you have professional northerner Mary Ann Hobbs having orgasms every time she slurred "Glasto come down".

I like Glastonbury, I like the BBC but I hate the BBC's coverage of Glastonbury. A bunch of playlist loving DJs thinking they are at Woodstock, where they were when the Hell's Angels were providing security? Calling Glastonbury "Glasto" should be a punishable offence.