Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Best Only Fools And Horses Moment

Comments

• edited February 2021
    The chandelier scene really worked for me because it was so well acted.
  • Anyone on here who doesn't like the Heston/Athletic scene can hand in their Lifer membership badge NOW.
  • So so funny and so many funny scenes you could discuss for hours.

All mentioned on here so far are classics to add for me

the Carphone /hang gliding - no Del we don’t have a car phone. 

in Wanted when Del starts to call Rodney the Peckham Pouncer and Grandad warns him he can take a joke to far recalling when Del set up a call to tell Grandad he had won the pools. Grandad tells Del he was celebrating  up the West End sipping champagne with a couple of sorts when he realised he didn’t even do the pools.

Grandad (Lennard Pearce)  delivered all his lines so dead pan they were superb

I am laughing to myself as I read this thread  and recall all the scenes being discussed.

• Grandad (Lennard Pearce)  delivered all his lines so dead pan they were superb

Buster Merryfield was good but Lennard Pearce was a class above. Found him a better character and like you say delivered his lines superbly. 

• Grandad (Lennard Pearce)  delivered all his lines so dead pan they were superb

Buster Merryfield was good but Lennard Pearce was a class above. Found him a better character and like you say delivered his lines superbly. 
    Blimey, this could do with its own thread. 

Please vote
    GRANDAD or ALBERT 

Albert for me
  • It's a close one but grandad for me.

Please vote
    GRANDAD or ALBERT 

Albert for me
    As a character or actor? Or both. I’m Grandad for both although I don’t dislike either. 

Please vote
    GRANDAD or ALBERT 

Albert for me
    As a character or actor? Or both. I’m Grandad for both although I don’t dislike either. 
    Character 
  • Albert for character but maybe cos I grew up with the later ones 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2021
    Albert for character but maybe cos I grew up with the later ones 
    I think Albert is more charismatic, grandad is more dead pan. 
    The wife says grandad is boring. I wouldn't say that but I see where she's coming from.
  • edited February 2021
    Has to be Albert for the character, mind you, grandad didn't get
    too much of a go before he died sadly 
    Reminds me of another moment at grandads funeral when they throw what they
    thought was grandads hat into the grave, only to find out later it was the vicars hat,
    the look on his face was priceless
  • I think grandad takes it for me. Hats off to buster though it can't have been easy filling grandads shoes/ slippers. 
  • Albert for all round character and acting, but Grandad when it comes to belting one-liners.

"Well even I'd have to think twice!"
  • Grandad had a few great deadpan but knowing comments etc, but Albert shades it for me.

I like that they didn't just replace like-for-like.

https://youtu.be/lrf_XevDIqY
  • cafctom said:
    Albert for all round character and acting, but Grandad when it comes to belting one-liners.

No Greater Love
  • Grandad had a few great deadpan but knowing comments etc, but Albert shades it for me.

That scene with Albert pretending to be suprised makes me lol every time. 
  • edited February 2021
    cafctom said:
    Albert for all round character and acting, but Grandad when it comes to belting one-liners.

No Greater Love
    Rodney "so what's wrong with going out with a woman of forty?"
    Del "nothing, nothing at all, if you happen to be fifty!"🤣
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2021
    I did love Grandad saying Sidney 'Potter' "always plays the black fella."

Not sure if we have answered this but did Del support Millwall as per the UEFA cup comment?
  • edited February 2021
    Grandad had a few great deadpan but knowing comments etc, but Albert shades it for me.

Not sure if we have answered this but did Del support Millwall as per the UEFA cup comment?
    No. Grandad and Del's dad were Millwall and Rodney Chelsea.

Del may have been palace as a palace scarf in porch in episode one but no further mention so not definitive.

He says once mockingly "A Millwall fan could have worked that out".

Rodney's dad was Charlton and their mum.

Buster Merryfield was a in fan in real life and regular at the Den apparently.
  • Can’t believe Buster died back in 1999
    doesnt seem that long ago to me 

Met him a couple of times at work as he used to work at NatWest before becoming full time actor and he was wheeled out at a couple of staff events. 
  • Incredible Lennard Pearce story - he met Hitler and even shock his hand when touring Europe in the 1930's. He later said if he'd known what was coming he would have killed him then!
  • Rodney: You were gun-running in the middle of a civil war?!
    Grandad: Well, that's the best time to do it Rodney....
    Haha  Same episode, Grandad talking about the French Foreign Legion, describing them as a murderous bunch of cut-throats and "the scum of the earth" then, when asked by Del Boy if Grandad and his mate had joined, said "No Del, they wouldn't have us". Genius.
  • ‘Even after all these years, when I’m watching an old German war film, and I hear the word ‘nein’ I always think of Helga”.

‪‘Because that’s how many fingers she had?’‬