Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Best Only Fools And Horses Moment

Comments

• Options
    Couldn't wait when I was younger for episodes to come on. As others said laughing one minute, choked up the next. So many good lines, but I always liked when they were in the van after selling the watch for £6 million and Del says, "well we've had worse days!"
  • Options
    Doctor: do you have trouble passing water?
    Del: I had a dodgy spell going over Tower Bridge once
  • Options
    One of my fav's is when Del is waxing lyrical about Raquel and says: She lights up a room when she walks in.

Rodney replies: Most of your birds light up a fag Del.
  • Options
    Del: What's the French for Duck a l'orange?

Rodney: Dunno, erm, it's canard aint it?

Del: Your telling me Rodders!

Classic.
  • Options
    It did have its great moments. But did go on for far too many series IMO.
  • Options
    Without reading all of the above, the episode where Rodders has given up smoking , and they are taken as hostage in the supermarket by a gunman, and he falls asleep and leaves the gun next to the cigs, and Rodders slowly reaches for the .......cigs.
  • Options

Without reading all of the above, the episode where Rodders has given up smoking , and they are taken as hostage in the supermarket by a gunman, and he falls asleep and leaves the gun next to the cigs, and Rodders slowly reaches for the .......cigs.

Dixon of Kuala Lumpur
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Scenes like the chandelier dont do that much for me after seeing it for the first time, its the effortless delivery of the one liners that still remain funny today. You can't beat the expressions and the manner the characters say these lines. Can't get enough of the show.

Totally agree with this, I'm the same with the "falling through the bar" scene, funny at the time, but doesn't make me laugh as much as the little one liners time after time.
    Agree with both comments - you knew what was going to happen with the chandelier and bar scenes.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

The episode where they finally won their millions would have been an absolutely perfect ending, as it was originally planned. That episode still holds the record for a British sitcom viewing figures (24 million). It was a 10/10 ending - everyone wanted to see them finally hit the jackpot after all those years.

The ones that came after it were still good, but nothing could have beaten that peak in the mid nineties.
  • Options
    Hang-gliding episode where Del's trying to get out to taking off;

"Is that our car phone I can hear Rodney"

"No.......we ain't got a car phone!"..........................totally brilliant when you know the full context of the-up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agreed its the script that really earns its longevity. A lot of the script is actually much more clever than I think some people give it credit for.

Love the poker episode where Del stitches Boycie up... "I didn't know you were good at maths either Boycie...". Also love it when Rodney is leaning against the wall yawning on the market and Del Boy goes over to him and says "I know the Government have been on about saving energy but this is taking the piss!"

The first Christmas episode was good as well... me and my brothers have been considering whether we should hit up the Monte Carlo club in New X on Christmas night for years. Love to Hull and Back and the Jollys Boys Outing as well.

It was definitely at its best in the early days before Del and Rodney got their birds and it became more about their relationships and emotions and a bit less focused on the comedy.
  • Options

Agreed its the script that really earns its longevity. A lot of the script is actually much more clever than I think some people give it credit for.

Love the poker episode where Del stitches Boycie up... "I didn't know you were good at maths either Boycie...". Also love it when Rodney is leaning against the wall yawning on the market and Del Boy goes over to him and says "I know the Government have been on about saving energy but this is taking the piss!"

The first Christmas episode was good as well... me and my brothers have been considering whether we should hit up the Monte Carlo club in New X on Christmas night for years. Love to Hull and Back and the Jollys Boys Outing as well.

It was definitely at its best in the early days before Del and Rodney got their birds and it became more about their relationships and emotions and a bit less focused on the comedy.

On the subject of their birds, I thought Raquel was really badly cast meself. Cassandra was spot on.
  • Options
    Albert was talking about his lost love Helga, saying how she worked behind the bar and had lost her little finger on her right hand when her family house was bombed during the war in Germany, he'd asked her to marry him but she said no so now whenever a German film came on the tele and he heard the word Nein it made Albert think of Helga.

Rodders- 'was it because she only had 9 fingers'?
  • Options
    Jumbo Mills " You think I'm bald don't you"

Rodney " Well the thought had crossed my mind"

Albert " Well if you aint pal that's one hell of a parting"
  • Options
    The episode where they end up in the hold up at the supermarket is a stand alone. Little lennox gilby, dixon of kuala lumpa and his poor wife having entre cote rioja

Rest in peace trigger, great character and I bet most of us have a mate called trigger.

Rodney getting caught eating out of the waste bin as his clients walk in always makes me titter
  • Options
    When Grandad gets nicked in Spain.

"You were gun running in the middle of the war?!"
    "Well, that's the best time to do it, Rodney."
  • Options
    Have they found the perfect replacement for Trigger..?
  • Options

Agree with both comments - you knew what was going to happen with the chandelier and bar scenes.

Yeah but the genius is that, even though you know it's coming, you don't know how. They played it perfectly.

• Options
    Tackiest stamps I've ever seen. It's almost like Del Boy designed them himself: https://shop.royalmail.com/special-stamp-issues/only-fools-and-horses

• Options
    cafctom said:
    The episode where they finally won their millions would have been an absolutely perfect ending, as it was originally planned. That episode still holds the record for a British sitcom viewing figures (24 million). It was a 10/10 ending - everyone wanted to see them finally hit the jackpot after all those years. The ones that came after it were still good, but nothing could have beaten that peak in the mid nineties.
    I know this is a post from 7 years ago but completely agree about ending it when they won the money. I think the line "this time next year we could be billionaires" would have been the perfect final line arguably ever in TV. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a thread.

”I’ve got a pair of aces, and I’ve got another pair of aces” 

Probably my favourite line from my favourite episode.
  • Options
    Watch it over and over again. Always head to gold when I stick the tv on.

'What do you prefer rodney, astroturf or grass. I've never smoked astroturf'
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    What a thread.

Great episode - one of my favourites.

Boycie
    Nicely played.
    (Hissing)
    Where d’you get those four
    bloody aces from?

Del
    Same place you got them Kings!
    I knew you were cheating
    Boycie.

Boycie
    Oh yeah, how?

Del
    ‘Cos that wasn’t the hand I
    dealt you!

Delboy with the double headed coin. Rodney calls tails.
  • Options
    I love the scene where they are trying find Uncle Albert, and eventually find him at an old shipping dock in the East End mournfully looking at all the yuppie housing - he tells Rodney what it used to be like, and then Del turns round and starts saying about what an improvement the new housing is, and how he wants to move there when he rich, upsetting Albert

Thats the episode where Albert and ‘Knock Knock’ both fancy Marlene’s mother, and have fight over her - Knock Knock gives Albert a black eye, but he tells Del and Rodney he was mugged - Del arranged for a biker gang to beat up a group of skinheads suspected of being the muggers, but it turns out the skinheads are undercover Police !!!

Del also learns, through Rodney’s slip up, that Rodney calls the Capri the ‘prat mobile’ !!
  • Options
    30 years on from the Sunbed episode my mate Rodders still gets asked if he’s alright whenever he gets a sun tan :-)
  • Options
    30 years on from the Sunbed episode my mate Rodders still gets asked if he’s alright whenever he gets a sun tan :-)
    Not sure if I told you but I was at Kensington Palace a couple of years ago and got talking to one of the protection guards while they were stopping people walking through while some earl or viscount went by. Mentioned his name and the guy said he knew him well. Told him he was know as Rodders which he laughed at and said he'd mention to his colleagues.
  • Options
    The episode when there is a riot, Del drives up in the Capri Ghia, beeps the horn, Police a rioters split apart, Del drives down the middle, with Del talking to both sides about things he is selling them - most of the rioters have ski gear on sold to them by Del - I remember when I first watched that episode I laughed so much my sides ached
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    What a thread.

Great episode - one of my favourites.

Boycie
    Nicely played.
    (Hissing)
    Where d’you get those four
    bloody aces from?

Del
    Same place you got them Kings!
    I knew you were cheating
    Boycie.

Boycie
    Oh yeah, how?

Del
    ‘Cos that wasn’t the hand I
    dealt you!

Not forgetting:

”Well you don’t see many places like this these days delboy”

”Thanks, I designed it myself”

”As a matter of fact I saw a tv program with places like this the other night”

”Dallas?”

”No, definitely not Dallas, it was a charity appeal.”
  • Options
    Over the past year or so there has been a new podcast called ‘Only Fools & Brotherly Forces’, where two brothers review each episode and go over some of the intricacies of each. Would recommend.