Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Varney, Kavanagh, and Everitt! (Page 13: Note from Rick Everitt)

Comments

• To be fair to TJ and MS, it is possible that all the departures and sackings are because they and Protheroe genuinely think the club needed fresh blood in these positions, i.e. they're making the changes for what they see as logical reasons (even if many here passionately disagree with them). From the point of view of the press, they might consider it a non story at the moment, until the effect of these changes can be judged.

They could well want fresh blood but if so they are being very very slow about finding it.

Look how quickly Southend filled their CEO vacancy but then they found a very experienced CEO "between jobs"
  • To be fair to TJ and MS, it is possible that all the departures and sackings are because they and Protheroe genuinely think the club needed fresh blood in these positions, i.e. they're making the changes for what they see as logical reasons (even if many here passionately disagree with them). From the point of view of the press, they might consider it a non story at the moment, until the effect of these changes can be judged.

Logically after the spectacular failure and mismanagement that got us in the position we found ourselves in a couple of seasons ago I dont think it is beyond the realms of imagination that a new business team may seek to move things around to turn the business around as painful as the disregard for sentimentality may be and as much of a slap in the face it may be to staff who have worked hard there for years.

Modern face of football. It's a business and survival of the fitest as much as it disillusions me further with the game.

They could well want fresh blood but if so they are being very very slow about finding it.

Look how quickly Southend filled their CEO vacancy but then they found a very experienced CEO "between jobs"
    We can speculate what's going on
    1) They've got people lined up, but they need to serve notice etc
    2) They are struggling to recruit people (poor candidates etc)
    3) They can't afford to recruit people
    4) Protheroe is taking an age to work out his new management structure.
    etc
  • edited October 2012

To be fair to TJ and MS, it is possible that all the departures and sackings are because they and Protheroe genuinely think the club needed fresh blood in these positions, i.e. they're making the changes for what they see as logical reasons (even if many here passionately disagree with them). From the point of view of the press, they might consider it a non story at the moment, until the effect of these changes can be judged.

Logically after the spectacular failure and mismanagement that got us in the position we found ourselves in a couple of seasons ago I dont think it is beyond the realms of imagination that a new business team may seek to move things around to turn the business around as painful as the disregard for sentimentality may be and as much of a slap in the face it may be to staff who have worked hard there for years.

Modern face of football. It's a business and survival of the fitest as much as it disillusions me further with the game.

"Tony Jimenez, Richard Murray and I are looking forward to working with incoming executive vice-chairman Martin Prothero, and have complete confidence that the executive and senior management team that he puts together will continue to build on the great progress we have made both on and off the pitch over the past year and half."

Michael Slater.Madrid A&E dept

We can speculate what's going on
    1) They've got people lined up, but they need to serve notice etc
    2) They are struggling to recruit people (poor candidates etc)
    3) They can't afford to recruit people
    4) Protheroe is taking an age to work out his new management structure.
    etc
    Or we can speculate that they have no plans to fill the vacancies at all.
  • Are they advertised on the OS yet ?
  • 1.2k comments and well over a million views.

Anyone fancy summarising the facts?
  • Off_it said:

1.2k comments and well over a million views.

Everybody go. Is bad.
    :(
  • edited October 2012
    Off_it said:

Some people who used to work for the club don't work for the club anymore.
    Some other people are concerned about this, they take it as evidence that the club may be being mis-managed.
  • Well, thats exactly what I said Stig...
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:

Off_it said:

Some people who used to work for the club don't work for the club anymore.
    Some other people are concerned about this, they take it as evidence that the club may be being mis-managed.
    Thanks. So where do the nazis and genocide fit into that then?
  • Well, Off_it, I was told by the man who empties the bins in Harvey Gardens that there is not a single Jew in the playing squad.... so read into that what you like.
  • I really enjoy reading threads with facts...anyone?
  • DRFDRF
    edited October 2012
    There seems to be a lack of appreciation of the fact that, if the board don't want to say anything public, they wont say anything. The best investigative journalist in the world cant make people talk. These journos can go through accounts (they're fine), staff (they have their own jobs to worry about), read baseless gossip on the internet (hardly the basis for a story and wont provide 'answers'), or ask ex staff (who have legal issues and probably biased opinons). What exactly do you think a journalist can do that a general nosy person can't? Do you think journalists have some sort of informaiton finding super powers?
  • DRF said:

Do you think journalists have some sort of informaiton finding super powers?

Well that Clark Kent fella didn't do bad.

• Off_it said:

DRF said:

Do you think journalists have some sort of informaiton finding super powers?

Well that Clark Kent fella didn't do bad.

Good point. Maybe we could ask Mick Collins to fly the other way round the world and take us back to the league one years everyone seems so desperate to re-live.
  • Why stop there DRF? - on another thread Oggy wants us to go back to the 70's (although I suspect that's just so that his flares and Slade style haircut/burns combo, which he still sports today, can be considered fashionabe again!)
  • DRF said:

There seems to be a lack of appreciation of the fact that, if the board don't want to say anything public, they wont say anything. The best investigative journalist in the world cant make people talk. These journos can go through accounts (they're fine), staff (they have their own jobs to worry about), read baseless gossip on the internet (hardly the basis for a story and wont provide 'answers'), or ask ex staff (who have legal issues and probably biased opinons). What exactly do you think a journalist can do that a general nosy person can't? Do you think journalists have some sort of informaiton finding super powers?

When Mick Collins chooses to do so he is able to write articles on Charlton's finances and scare the bejeezus out of people with talk of impending adminstration. Here is the link to the relevant thread. I am not commenting on whether his report was accurate. However I doubt it went down well in the boardroom at the time. And it makes me even more puzzled about his snarky intervention yesterday.

• Prague,

That was publicly available information, from a publicly listed company who have to produce annual accounts.

CAFC are now a private company and have to prove jack shit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:

Prague,

That was publicly available information, from a publicly listed company who have to produce annual accounts.

Very true but its not good policy for football clubs to alienate their limited supply of customers. IMHO our board are doing a pretty good job alienating me at least.

• Sanctimonious.

That word always pops into my head whenever I read some of the comments on this thread.

As does pious.
  • Addickted said:

Prague,

Very true but its not good policy for football clubs to alienate their limited supply of customers. IMHO our board are doing a pretty good job alienating me at least.

To be honest, the majority of Charlton 'customers' (in the short term at least) will be far more alienated by the dismal performance on Saturday that any off the field sackings/resignations.
  • Addickted said:

Prague,

What I'm referring to is this (my emphasis in bold, and is the bit that scared the shit out of me at the time)

"The potential new buyers fear that players will be sold to keep the club afloat, and given the scale of the debt, eventually Charlton’s only asset of worth will be The Valley, the ground they returned to 17 years ago after a fight from a board and a set of supporters unified in a common purpose. In the wake of last season and with the club riddled with uncertainty, that unity appears now to have all but evaporated.

A source close to the bid said last night “The club is currently going through a slow, painful death. In strict business terms, a club with ten fewer points, but millions of pounds less debt would be a far more attractive proposition.
    ”"

Like I said above...

• edited October 2012
    Addickted said:

Prague,

Baton's accounts for the year ended June 2011 were filed at Companies House in March this year. You can download a copy for £1. The accounts for the year just ended will be available next March. They'll tell us the cash flow deficit and confirm, I assume, that no more debt has been added. Indeed, loans were due to be paid down so debt levels will have fallen I'd expect.

What isn't available publically, and what would be very hard, if not impossible, for any Journo to find out, is what's happening at CAFCH in the BVI. I don't think it's possible to determine who and how the Club is really being funded unless those involved want to tell. It seems they don't. C'est la vie.
  • What a crock of shite

Very few stories fall I'm the laps of Journos without them having to rely on sources and investigative journalism

What annoyed me was instead of helping it looks as though cheap point scoring was more important to someone who I had always held in high regard

• looks like the domino effect is gathering pace such a sad state of affairs

Did Peter Garland suffer from the domino effect?

Did Peter Garland suffer from the domino effect?
    I think Pete's problem was more the Dominos Pizza effect!!
  • edited October 2012
    If you want to see the results of the cost cuttings, suggest you go to the ticket section of the CAFC website, go down to the Ipswich game and note how many mistakes there are in the write up. Also whilst you are there could you tell me the cost of an adult and U11 ticket in the family section and when do they go on sale, I had a long day and couldn't work it out?