Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Comments

• Options
    meldrew66 said:

Don't like him but Murray's year really could not have been any better so edges it for me. Maybe they need a 'Top 10' this year to recognise the achievements. My order would be;

1. Andy Murray
    2. Bradley Wiggins
    3. David Weir
    4. Mo Farah
    5. Ellie Simpson
    6. Sarah Storey
    7. Rory McIlroy
    8. Jessica Ennis
    9. Chris Hoy
    10. Ben Ainsley

Cant believe you'd have Ennis at #8.

Oh, also, another typo, its Ainslie not Ainsley - or are you suggesting we have started including chefs in the SPOTY ?
  • Options
    I think Stig's comment about Murray not winning Wimbledon this year is very relevant. In an Olympic year, it might be the only thing stopping him from winning SPOTY, and will likely allow people to think that when he does win Wimbledon (which he more than likely will now) , then they can vote for him then.
    In that case ,i will be voting for Bradders.
  • Options
    Many people on here said wiggins wouldnt have won without the efforts of the other sky riders and therefore he should win team of the year
  • Options

Many people on here said wiggins wouldnt have won without the efforts of the other sky riders and therefore he should win team of the year

Good point - as confirmed by Sky program 'Team Sky - Road to Glory'.
    However, as someone else mentioned on 'ere, cant quite see BBC giving a Team prize to Team Sky - can you?

• Options

By the same argument, Murray must be out of the running too.

Ivan Lendl: “I came here to help Andy win and he did, so it’s job done.

• Options
    This is a popularity contest. The best man or woman may not win. Last year I felt luke donalds achievements (no1 golfer on us and euro tours) outweighed mark cavendishs (a handful of stage wins in the tdf). Yet cavendish won it easily.

This year I'd agree that a cyclist does deserve to win (wiggins) and cycling fans do seem to watch and vote. That said we have many more worthy winners this year.
  • Options
    Looking at the history there have been several one off awards given over the years, I think this year may be another occasion when that happens...
  • Options
    I just cant muster the same enthusiasm for Wiggins as I can for Mo, or Weir for that matter. Not sure what it is, maybe the sideburns?
  • Options
    Stig said:

Bit of a difference between having a coach and having a group of fellow competitors who help you win. I'm sure you can see that ?

Wiggins achievements have been incredible but I'm not sure you could say his success in the tours was solely down to him, his Sky team mates played a huge part.

In addition, how popular is road cycling as a sport compared to tennis ? Pre this years British success I'm not sure it has received a massive amount of media coverage or public interest, I'd imagine this is why most of it's marquee events are shown on Eurosport whilst tennis receives prime time coverage from the national broadcaster and Sky.

• Options
    Plenty of individuals have won, despite being part of a team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2012
    se9addick said:

Stig said:

Bit of a difference between having a coach and having a group of fellow competitors who help you win. I'm sure you can see that ?

Wiggins achievements have been incredible but I'm not sure you could say his success in the tours was solely down to him, his Sky team mates played a huge part.

In addition, how popular is road cycling as a sport compared to tennis ? Pre this years British success I'm not sure it has received a massive amount of media coverage or public interest, I'd imagine this is why most of it's marquee events are shown on Eurosport whilst tennis receives prime time coverage from the national broadcaster and Sky.

So no footballer or cricketer (etc) should have ever won it due to being in a team?

• Options
    Almost impossible but Murray and Wiggins have done something that has never been done before (I know a British male has won a title before, but really this was in the days when it was even more of an elite gents' club). I think that tennis being the more popular sport (purely on the grounds of the coverage it gets when there are no British contenders). Terribly harsh on Farah who would have been way out in front number one had it been any other year. Mind you, who cares? They all won their events, a competition that has thrown up bizarre winners like an on the slide Ryan Giggs or a top 5 horse person, is probably not the pinnacle of any of these guys' year.
  • Options
    Could somebody clarify if this is for the personality of the year or the best sportsperson? I not sure personality are strong points when you refer to either Murray or Wiggins although the sporting achievement of both is hard to match.
  • Options
    per·son·al·i·ty (pûrs-nl-t)
    n. pl. per·son·al·i·ties
    1. The quality or condition of being a person.
    2. The totality of qualities and traits, as of character or behavior, that are peculiar to a specific person.
    3. The pattern of collective character, behavioral, temperamental, emotional, and mental traits of a person: Though their personalities differed, they got along as friends.
    4. Distinctive qualities of a person, especially those distinguishing personal characteristics that make one socially appealing: won the election more on personality than on capability. See Synonyms at disposition.
    a. A person as the embodiment of distinctive traits of mind and behavior.
    b. A person of prominence or notoriety: television personalities.
    6. An offensively personal remark. Often used in the plural: Let's not engage in personalities.
    7. The distinctive characteristics of a place or situation: furnishings that give a room personality.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

Murray's year really could not have been any better

Well, only if Murray's year lasts from August to September! I think winning in Australia, France and at Wimbledon might have made it just a little better.

It's such a tough decision to make this year I wouldn't mind if the BBC dropped the farce of trying to pick a winner and just celebrated a great year of sporting achievement instead.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    se9addick said:

Stig said:

Whether it's a team mate, a trainer, a tolerant spouse or someone else altogether, no sports person ever achieved greatness without the help of other people. Help is still help no matter whom it comes from. But seeing as you want to take the argument down that line, let's run with it for a minute. Bobby Moore (1966), Ian Botham (1981), Torvill & Dean (1984), Jonny Wilkinson (2003), Andrew Flintoff (2005). Are you seriously suggesting that these people should not have won it because they all received the help of team mates? I'd be particularly interested to know who should have got the 1966 award if not Bobby Moore. Geoff Hurst perhaps? Oh no, he was helped by his team mates. My vote's going to Tofiq Bahramov, but then you could say that he was part of a team as well. Of course the simple argument here is to say that there is no reason or precedent why a team player shouldn't win, and there are plenty of team players who have won in the past. The notion, therefore, that Wiggins shouldn't win on the grounds that cycling is a team sport is quite frankly, ridiculous.

Your second argument that, "Pre this years British success I'm not sure it [road cycling] has received a massive amount of media coverage or public interest" is a very interesting one. I find it interesting from the point of view of asking why this erstwhile neglected sport has been so popular this year. Of course the big difference is the success of Bradley Wiggins. So that's one more reason he should be sports personality of the year. Not only does he have the most impressive accomlishments this year; not only is he a fabulous team player; not only is he the best individual cyclist in the world (don't forget that his specially is the time trial, where he's cycling completely on his own); but he's also the chief reason behind the popularity of a previously overlooked sport. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the one sensible choice for sports personality of the year: Mr Bradley Wiggins.
  • Options
    Stig said:

se9addick said:

Stig said:

Whether it's a team mate, a trainer, a tolerant spouse or someone else altogether, no sports person ever achieved greatness without the help of other people. Help is still help no matter whom it comes from. But seeing as you want to take the argument down that line, let's run with it for a minute. Bobby Moore (1966), Ian Botham (1981), Torvill & Dean (1984), Jonny Wilkinson (2003), Andrew Flintoff (2005). Are you seriously suggesting that these people should not have won it because they all received the help of team mates? I'd be particularly interested to know who should have got the 1966 award if not Bobby Moore. Geoff Hurst perhaps? Oh no, he was helped by his team mates. My vote's going to Tofiq Bahramov, but then you could say that he was part of a team as well. Of course the simple argument here is to say that there is no reason or precedent why a team player shouldn't win, and there are plenty of team players who have won in the past. The notion, therefore, that Wiggins shouldn't win on the grounds that cycling is a team sport is quite frankly, ridiculous.

Your second argument that, "Pre this years British success I'm not sure it [road cycling] has received a massive amount of media coverage or public interest" is a very interesting one. I find it interesting from the point of view of asking why this erstwhile neglected sport has been so popular this year. Of course the big difference is the success of Bradley Wiggins. So that's one more reason he should be sports personality of the year. Not only does he have the most impressive accomlishments this year; not only is he a fabulous team player; not only is he the best individual cyclist in the world (don't forget that his specially is the time trial, where he's cycling completely on his own); but he's also the chief reason behind the popularity of a previously overlooked sport. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the one sensible choice for sports personality of the year: Mr Bradley

Wiggins.
    Relax.

Of course people can be considered for SPOTY if they compete as part of a team as they should ( although I was born far too recently to remember who won in 1966). The difference, sureley, in this greatest year for British sport, is that we have such a plethora of champions that we have to draw the line somewhere. For me, in this year, that line exhausts inbetween the support, protection and help enjoyed by wiggins in the tour from Team Sky (not detracting from his Olympic gold) and that enjoyed by Murray from Lendl.

Unfortunately your second point holds no reason. We're British, we'll emphaptic ally support anyone who'll win something - and I love that. But let's not pretend that road cyclings as important to our country as tennis.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you an Internet debate.
  • Options
    Also Wiggins does have alot more personality than Murray. If you've seen his interviews during le tour you'll know exactly what I mean.
  • Options
    For me Mo gets the vote, his second gold was the first time i have celebrated and watched an olympic sport like im watching a big match for Charlton, magic moment this summer for me.
  • Options

It's just brilliant to have such a list of WINNERS to choose from, not plucky losers like Henman and a variety of English footballers.

There isn't one person in the 10 above who wouldn't deserve a vote.

This!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

didnt stop Cavendish from winning SPOTY last year though.
  • Options
    May I throw in a little curve ball here. The BBC introduced a "Life time acheivement" award. As the gentleman concerned is not likely to win Sports Personaility of the year award but has in five successive Olympics won silver and four golds in one event only to me that is some acheivement.

I give you.......Ben Ainslie that would be a fantastic way to celebrate a great sportsman in a year when we have so many it's mind boggling
  • Options
    Truly a fantastic achievement but sailing a little boat about hardly grips!
  • Options
  • Options
    Come on Wiggo!
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Excellent
  • Options
    Wilfred Zaha.
  • Options
    Think Froch deserves to be in the running for the main prize.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Think Froch deserves to be in the running for the main prize.

Any other year he'd have a great chance.

Think Murrays achievement was the greatest but reckon Wiggo will get it.
  • Options
    Wish we could have a summer like that every year. Just watching that. What a year.