Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Comments

• Gutted, more like!
  • When you look back at the previous winners and see Michael Owen, David Beckham & Ryan Giggs on there it just goes to show how good this Olympic year has been and whoever does win this year will be a truly worthy holder of the award.

There are plenty of candidates and it is sad in many ways that only one out of:- Mo Farah, Wiggins, Ennis & Ainslie (not to mention the cyclists) will win this.

I think Ennis has done a fabulous job under enormous pressure and with it being a "popularity contest" in many ways, she does stand a chance.

Mo probably the favourite as the public has really taken to him and his achievement has been nothing short of astonishing - pure hard work and determination (wonder what he would have done if his twins had popped out a week ago!).

Ainslie is in a much less publicised sport but 4 golds is just incredible and he is the one GB Olympian you could guarantee would get Gold, even when it looked iffy after the first few races.

But Wiggins achievements across the year (not just Olympics) should make him favourite and would win my vote.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Got 25/1 on Wiggo winning SPOTY before the TdF and within 24hrs of him winning the TT gold, got 20/1 on Mo and 15/1 on Ennis.
    If it doesnt come from that 3, I'd be shocked.

You are probably right but consider this:

Andy Murray was the first British Wimbledon finalist for 74 years. He has also won Olympic gold and silver medals.

If he wins the US Open, or even reaches the final, he could be in the mix too.

• As others have said - an incredibly tough choice - Wiggins should get it for the Tour de France win and a string of other victories in some tough cycling races (the Dauphine, Paris-Nice, Tour de Romandie) plus the TIme Trial gold and he was prepared to be the team man in the Road Race where he put his amitions to one side to race for Mark Cavendish. He could easily have copped out citing tiredness and that he had the TT a few days later. But I doubt the details will register that heavily with the voting public.

Mo Farah has won two tough events, the last of which besides getting the tactics and strategy right a lot of bravery. He led from the front with several laps to go, dictated the pace and held off several attacks and still had a bit left in the tank in the last few yards to hang on. It wasn't the fastest ever 5k Olympic race, but the last two laps took a lot out of the athletes - the look/grimaces on the faces of the silver and bronze medallists was not just about their disappointment in not winning.

Jessica Ennis - a lot of pressure, she was expected to win and had a high media profile that didn't do her any favours but she won her core events in style and once she dealt with the weaker events the result was not in any doubt. She had the opportunity to double up in the individual women's 10m hurdles but backed out. If she'd competed in that her times would have put her in the final and a medal position.

Andy Murray - gold medal, silver in the mixed doubles and he made the Wimbledon final, if he could go one better in the US Open then maybe he'll make a late run...

Coach of the year has to go to Dave Brailsford: Tour de France and the whole Team Sky thing, plus three medals in the road races and 9 medals from 10 events in the track cycling.
  • Very good summary BFR.
  • I could imagine the team prize going to the Sky TDF team if it wasn't called "Sky".

It has to be Wiggins. If Mo had selflessly run a half marathon three days before his gold medal attempt as paceman for a team mate's gold attempt then he'd walk it.

Really though the BBC sports personality of the year award is hardly a "best moment of my life" event for the winner is it?
  • Be Wiggins/Farah and then Ennis.
  • Team award to Team GB.
  • Team award to Team GB.
    Got to be , Hastingsaddick
  • dougie freedman
  • Sponsored links:

• Mo for me .

But no way will the nominations be all male THIS time !

Didn't see the issue over that, don't like positive discrimination and felt some people wanted a woman to be entered just to make it 'fair'.

This year Jess Ennis, maybe Trott, Pendleton etc too will be nominated, and it'll mean all the more because they undoubtedly deserve it.

• Wiggins for me (and I know nothing about cycling). Mo is a complete legend but winning the TDF and a gold, plus trying to help Cavendish.

Can see it going either way and both are massively deserving.
  • Andy Murray should be on the shortlist IMO
  • Young sportsperson - either Tom Daley, the Justin Bieber of the diving world and British Olympic team or preferably Jade Jones for actually winning something.
  • Youngster has to be jade jones, I'm leaning towards it being a split between mo farrah, jess ennis and Bradley wiggins. Murray won't get it due to the comments he has made in the past. In fairness to him I respect him for saying what he has said, proud scot and all that and his honesty
  • Wiggins not just for his wins but also for time trial efforts for Cav and also setting him up for Paris win. Unselfish.
  • Unfortunately it's a phone vote, which to me, reduces it to the X Factor.
    As long as there are no footballers up on the stage at the end I think we will have a worthy winner, for what its worth.
  • Just to add Wiggo will get my 4 votes
  • Tony Blair gets my vote....sorry wrong thread ;0)
  • Bradley Wiggins tour de france achievement has been nothing short of spectacular and Mo Farah has dominated 15,000 metres.

But could either of them sink sheffield in 2 freekicks?
  • Sponsored links:

• Tony Blair gets my vote....sorry wrong thread ;0)

Stop it;-)
  • Wiggins was'nt even our POY.
  • Wiggins. Rhoys that is.
  • Im not a big cycling man but it has to be Wiggins. First British TDeF winner, for a short moment our greatest Olympian. Would love it if it was Mo as he's been my favourite gold medalist by far but Bradley has achieved just that little bit extra.
  • Some years you think nobody deserves it, this year it's hard to choose. Proud of our athletes and sports stars.
  • Wiggins
    Mo
    Jess

This
  • Not sure if anyone has mentioned Ben Ainslee. Five Olympic medals four of which are gold in the last five consecutive games....pretty amazing although I have to admit I wouldn't recognise a Finn class boat if it was parked on my drive. Just a shout for a great Olympian
  • Personally I wouldn't have a SPOTY this year. How can you say Wiggins, Farah, Ennis or Ainsle are any less deserving for their achievements than each other.

I know you could argue this every year but this year is particularly difficult.

If I had to pick it would be Wiggins for his sustained excellence over the whole year and his brilliant way of dealing with the press.
  • Don't forget the vast number of people who lined the streets to watch the Olympic cycling, cycling is no longer a minority sport watched by a handful of people, and you've got the votes from all those cyclists and Boris bikers... (Cavendish won last year)

I'd say Wiggins, with Mo in second, but as has been said if Murray wins the US open he'll have had a massive year. McIllroy has just won the US PGA by 8 shots, but will be well down the rankings...

GB/Sky cycling must be well up there for team of the year.
  • for Team of the year, has to go to Team GB - cant really see any other way to recognize all the great Olympians